WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY2015

Options

Replies

• NO_Excuses_515
    NO_Excuses_515 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Hello friends -

Daughter#2 is coming home from her church camp today. I'm excited to see her as she is still my little cuddle bunny even though she is a teenager.

Lisa's comment about making bread got me hungry for homemade bread, or in my case that is bread in the bread machine. Think I'll see if I can find a healthy bread machine mix at the store. If not, I may have to resort to looking for a recipe.

Pip - Take care of that shoulder and head. I completely know what you mean about the headache. It's like you've got a hangover but without the fun of the buzz beforehand.

Becca - Your pic looks great. 2009 is not that long ago. You can get there again.

Drkatiebug - You will have to keep us updated on how long the pretty feet last. They look great.

Chris - I'm a little late in wishing you a happy birthday, but sounds like you had a great day.

Terri - My daughters are very involved in school too - show choir, band, cheer, volleyball, tennis, soccer. I agree with the sentiment that kids who are involved don't have time to get into trouble. Plus they know that if they do get into trouble they will get kicked out of those activities they love. One of my concerns about my daughter#1 going off to college is that she is used to having a very busy schedule and that she won't know what to do when she has to budget her time herself. She is doing marching band at college this fall and she is in the honors program, so she'll have to figure it out.

Does anyone read the blogs on MyFitnessPal? Today, there is a post about 5 Unusual Reasons You're Not Losing Weight. Interesting post for those of you struggling with a plateau. I know I struggle with #1 Stress and #2 Not Getting Enough Sleep.

Have a fabulous day everyone!

Linda/IA
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,080 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Mary congratulations on your new home.

Chris great story about granddaughter. Wonderful present!

Cheri I usually park as far away from an entrance too to add more steps in a day. I also figure I save gas over the long run because I park quickly and don't drive around. It also makes me less likely to have a fender bender. The only thing I don't like about it is i know I have to be more watchful so I don't get hit by someone pulling out of their space.

:heart: MNMargaret
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    rrxo1mzcvoiu.jpg

DH and me in Galvaston at the end of April for my DGS graduation. Stranger stopped and offered to take our picture for us. :)
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,767 Member
    Options
    well I ate bad bad things today, not worth feeling the way I do, so will think better of it next time... hair cut,went to see DFIL and he was awful yesterday, guess he went on a tiraid and took his brand new box of wheaties and threw them everywhere, so from now on they will be put in his closet where he cannot get to them..
    got the lawn mowed and now will cook dinner, did the laundry at 4 this morning,...
  • KateKyi
    KateKyi Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    found this thought Id share it
    ydq4kglocmr1.jpg
  • SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    CarolNC: Thanks for the info. 5 miles wow, considering that I have to take 2 steps to everyone else's one that means I'd have to be like Barbie. Can't see that happening anytime soon (many knee and foot issues). I think I'll stick to my recumbent bike for now. :smile:

JanetR: I don't have a fitbit but I have a pedometer built into my smart watch usually it records in the neighborhood of 2000 steps a day (when I remember to wear it) but I certainly haven't tested it for accuracy. I do take the opportunity to walk whenever I can by parking further away when parking etc. Good for you for getting to that milestone so quickly with your fitbit!

Kate: ROFLACGU! Love seniors texting!

Carey-Edmonton
  • janetr7476
    Options
    @Carey - riding your recumbent bike counts too. I get my "steps" in with water aerobics and stationary bike. I had right knee replaced the end of January and will have the left one replaced in September, so I understand bad knee thing. The Fitbit converts them to "steps". So you are probably getting that many in already. Way to go :)

@KateKyi - love the Senior Texting Code :)
  • peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Janetr ~ Great pic of you and hubby.

Kate ~ Cute! Thanks for the laugh.

Margaret ~ I also try to park far away if my joints aren't too bad that day.

Did much needed house work today and listed some items.

Carol ~ GA

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    How do y'all answer so many people at one sitting? If I go back a page, it erases what I have typed. Do y'all make notes or something? My oldest son had trouble with me call my Mother "Mama" . . . he called me "Momma" and I explained to him that she was 'my' mama and I was 'his' Momma. He looked at us for a while and said, "Me-Maw" and then looked at my Daddy and called him "Pa-Paw". My oldest and middle sister's call my Daddy "Pa-Paw"; but, the called my mother 'grandmother'. I'm sure she would have preferred that my boys to call her 'grandmother' as well - she was a little 'stiff' most of the time. We called her "Mama" for a long time and do not know when we started referring to her a 'Mother'. We always called our Daddy, "Daddy". 'My youngest son just got married and his wife brought a 'new' granddaughter with her; but, so far she hasn't come up with a name to call me. My sons call me "MommaBird" and they 'lovingly' call their Daddy "FatBoy". Don't ask, I have no idea - started when they were young teenagers. I'm 'Nana" to my granddaughters; but, Jenn's mom is also "Nana". It is confusing when we are both at a place; then I am 'Tiny Nana" and she is "Big Nana". That is a name that the little one thought of; mainly because she sees me 'in the yard' and she sees her other Nana up close and personal. Mallory already has a "Nana" and does not want to call me that. Maybe by the time we go out there, she will have figured it out.
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    Happy Thursday. Had a nice evening went out for supper with a friend and stayed under my calories. Was an beautiful evening for a motorcycle ride. Today I am working my 6-5:30 shift. Want to go out to Wal-Mart this evening and pickup some school supplies. DGC from about 120 miles away are coming up Saturday and I like to get them a few things. The ones the live close I will get next month before school starts. We are planning to spend the afternoon at Sthur museum. Will get lots of walking in.

At 2:30 this morning the driver that delivers to the Auto parts store DH works at called to tell him someone left the deliveray truck in front of the big door so he could not get in. Now DH is not management anymore and hasn't been for months, but no has given out the new guys name and number. Last month we got a call in the middle of the night that the alarms were going off. So DH had to go check it out. I told him to tell someone today his wife is not happy. So even tho I went to bed early, was wide awake and not able to go back to sleep until just about the time the alarm was to go off.Gotta love it.

Margaret--So very pretty and I agree it does make me feel humble and grateful for all I do have.

Becca--Congrates on your TOPS winnings, Sounds like you are a member that cares.

Katiebug--Good looking feet. Congrates on your loss for the week.

DJ--I have been heavy since I was very young. I was just over 4 pounds at birth and made up for it ever since. I was 190 in 4 th grade. We lived in a small town and the school twice a year did the height and weight chart and put in the hallway. I will never forget that. I have never been thin so this is a work in progress for me. I am down where I was when my son was born 41 years ago. Still have a long way to go. One Day at a Time.

Chris--Sounds like you had a great birthday. Those dear grandchildren are the best!

Teri--So Sorry to hear you were hit again. Did you check and see if you have a sign on your back bumper that says HIT ME!. Sure hope your neck feels better soon. Make sure that insurance company pays for any treatment. When I got hit last year the doctor had me get massages on my neck and shoulders and back. Sure helped a lot.

Janetr--Nice picture, Thanks for sharing.

Well getting to be time to finish up and some work and get ready to go home. Having a friend and her daughter spend the night as she is having surgery in morning and has to be at the hospital early. They live about 60 miles away. So that will be nice.
    Blessings, Vicki GI NE
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,080 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Lenora sometimes what I will do is read a page make comments and then post it. When I go to the next page if there is something I want to comment on I will hit edit in my post and then add that to my post. The edit feature is in the upper right hand corner of the post you saved. You click on the icon then hit edit which is underneath. It will turn blue. I just added this sentence after checking that. I learned the hard way that if I forget to save post I lose what I wrote if I go to the next page without saving post. It gives you one hour to change your post. Reminds me how they always said constantly save when working on a document. You then need to save your post again otherwise you will only have the first part of what you have in the past. I also have used a word document and then copied and posted that. I haven't done that for quite some time. I find using the edit method faster for me.

:heart: MNMargaret
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    @jmkmomm the jewelry was given to me on loan from a friend of mine that has a sister that is a beader. I had about 4 different wonderful options. (I had a choir reunion that year, and wearing all that made it just that more special. That pic however was at the Clothing Optional resort, and I was competing in the Talent show. Sang some Jazzy number with a sax player. Wore my husbands crisp shirt, some black tap shorts, black heels, and a smile... Fun stuff! I was given a long necklace from my friend I will post a pic of that....its truely wearable art!

@janetr7476 thanks for your encouragement! I have to look at it as a blessing that I know what slim feels like. My body got there once...it must have muscle memory for this journey...I just have to keep on the straight and narrow!

@DamitJanit Thanks for the compliment! My first goal is to just be in Onederland....the second is to get where I was during my Jenny Craig stint...and really "get it" mentally. I remember 179 but I didn't settle in at the number. My husband didn't treat me differently, I didn't tell anyone when I arrived at the number, this time shall be much different!

@pipcd34 making the sign of an *L* on my forehead......I will sing loser praises, and dance the loser dance!!!

@fanncy0626 Thanks for the compliment. I liked the way I moved when I was that picture. I could play water-volleyball in the mornings, then a set or two of tennis in the afternoon, then go dancing with my husband that evening. Being a nudist then was simple and not stressful, (my belly having its own rhythm is frustrating at a nudist dance)....and well tennis its hard to stop on a dime when you are a big lady... Once a friend came up and was flabbergasted because she though my husband had left me for another lady...didn't know it was me until she was looking at me. My husband was all..."what?" and so being slim I just didn't GET IT....

• Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    @Vickil57 I joined this TOPS group at the most lowest point in my life, just settling in, in Oregon after making a hectic trip up from California with sick husband. Found a place, moved, and needed a place where I could just cry and not worry. They took me in, paid my dues, and I found a safe haven to just heal if I needed to. Our group is about 35 members and everyone a dear. I think I am the youngest, but this network of ladies is like my fellowship. I have been a Navy Wife for a really long time, moving here and there, and I never really thought I would ever find a group of women I could grow old with. And now I have :-)

Becca at the Oregon Coast
  • miakoda40
    miakoda40 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Chris in MA – Congratulations on being smaller than the size your friend offered to you. That is such a great feeling.

I have a dear friend who has been cleaning out her closet. As a result I have received many new to me outfits. Last week she just gave me the last few pieces she found. I simply smiled and said “Thank You” but inside I was doing a happy dance. I am now 1 size smaller than she is so her clothing is now too big. She has been so generous over the past 18 months that I have needed to purchase very few pieces of clothing from the thrift stores. I see a few shopping trips in my future. Fortunately I live in an area that has several very nice thrift shops so I won’t have to spend a fortune as I continue to work towards my final weight goal.

Lenora – To write multiple responses at a time I have a separate document open with my responses as I read so I am not writing directly into the reply box at the bottom of the screen. When I need/want to stop I copy and paste my document into the reply box on whatever screen I am on at the time.

Mia in MI

July goal:
    Continue to honestly log food every day
    Continue to meet PT one day a week for strength training
    Start one hour a week of aerobic exercise
    Stop Iced tea overload. 24 oz. iced tea daily plus 40 oz. water
    Word of the month – gratitude

• CPAUTISM24
    CPAUTISM24 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hello to everyone. I have been trying to lose 25 pounds for several years. I try watching what I eat, I tried Weight
    Watchers, I have tried MFP. I am determined to do it this time. I need encouragement as I am sure most of us do. any words of encouragement I would appreciate. This is day 4 for me and I have stayed under my limit with calories. I have eaten 3 meals daily and even had snacks. If anyone can assist on how to input my exercise. I use the Total Gym (Chuck Norris) and I am on the beginner section. Help Please! oh , you can call me Bev! Have a blessed day!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,649 Member
    Options
    janetr7476 wrote: »
    rrxo1mzcvoiu.jpg

DH and me in Galvaston at the end of April for my DGS graduation. Stranger stopped and offered to take our picture for us. :)

that's cute! u should make that your profile pic!
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    KateKyi wrote: »
    found this thought Id share it
    ydq4kglocmr1.jpg

Love this!

Cheri
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Margaret – It is so difficult for us to watch our children fail or flounder, isn’t it? I even had to learn to ask my sister IF she wants my help, and not just start telling her what she should do. Natural consequences are hard for everyone involved. I feel this is another part of life where baby-steps are helpful. I know you can do it ! Congrats on giving yourself a gift.

Kate – that sounds like an amazing yet time-consuming project with the chicken – but I understand your respect issue involved. Also quite admirable. I hope it all turns out as delicious as you hope.

Janetr – congrats on being obsessed. My DH has finally accepted the fact that I will punch in restaurant and food before eating anywhere, but I also feel it is a compliment to me that he noticed, and doesn’t do the eye roll when I whip out my phone and start typing. Keep up the good work ! ! !

Linda – Thanks for understanding. I’m certain you did the best you can to raise your daughter right, and she will make a few scheduling mistakes before she gets it right. But hopefully those mistakes will have minimal consequences so she can quickly learn how to fix it.

I’m with Carol – I park at whatever distance I think my arthritis will allow, or dependant on the condition of the parking lot during the winter (I don’t worry about heat, cold, or rain; just the slippery snow).

Grits – when I am at work or home, I open an e-mail to myself, and type as I read and think of responses. That way Outlook corrects any typing errors, and hopefully some grammar errors as well. Plus, if I forget to copy/paste it before leaving for lunch or home, my computer automatically sends it to my other e-mail address, so I can post it later. When I am out of town, I don’t know the best way to use my tablet, so I often am unable to respond to everyone, hence earlier this week, when I barely typed anything. // in our family, once someone becomes a grandparent, that is the name everyone uses to refer to that person (so I now call my Dad Grandpa when his grandchildren are around). As far as steps are concerned, my daughter calls my mother-in-law by her first name, and her dad’s step-dad grandpa, and no one has complained, so we just let her do what makes her comfortable. You certainly are lucky to know she feels so highly of you. Congrats ! ! !

I have been reading so many people are having losses, and I want to offer each and every one of you a hearty Congratulations, along with a great big HUG ! ! ! Struggling or moving the scale in the wrong direction, an even bigger HUG for you. <3 We are in this together. (btw, my scale did not move at all while I was gone, yay)

Terri in Milwaukee
  • italy10548
    italy10548 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Janetrc- band scholarship for DGS is wonderful. Sorry about the dollars though.

Terri- I have the same philosophy as you with my kiddos. Either pay now by keeping them busy ( in doing so me and the DH are on the go with meetings, lots of driving, competition fees, camping fees for scouts, and lots of trips away for the kids activity) or pay later for trouble like drugs, arrests, etc. So far it has been expensive, but the right choice.

Pip- wow a head injury too! I missed that. Take care of yourself; be kind to yourself! Your coworkers saw you and thought you should go to the Dr. We can't see you but from what you've written is sounds like your body needs rest. Just MHO. Sending hugs.

Rosie
  • janetr7476
    edited July 2015
    Options
    @Pip - thanks, I did :)

@rosie - Well he is off with the check made out to the school for his band fees, so all should be taken care of shortly. Thank you, we are proud of him.