WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY2015

Options

Replies

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Keeping pets healthy and up-to-date with all their shots and such can be very expensive. Children next door have 2 dogs (one is definitely on his last leg) and Trey has threatened to take him to put him down. He is blind in the one eye he has; getting deaf; bumps into walls and has started peeing and pooping in the house. They also have a house-trained lab - still cannot believe they keep her in a kennel in the house. One cat comes in to eat, kitten is still inside (a replacement for DGD when the Boston Terrier passes away). Meaning he will probably be an inside cat; two cats outside they rescued (brother and sister). I think we are going to get a new puppy when we come back from our trip to Louisiana later in the summer.
  • gawworthington
    gawworthington Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Michele- I could not see your picture. :( Turtles are my favorite.
    DJ - I am so proud of you- that is amazing feat. I look forward to when the WII Fit takes me out of the OBESE category. I am so at the top of the little bar and will look forward to even seeing the top of the scale.
    Katla- I have to pass through the Dalles every time I travel to Portland and it is a very pretty area too.
    Barbie – I lived on Whidbey Island for two years near Deception Pass Bridge and loved the area. I was stationed there for two years.
    Gayle W. ( going to add the W since there are now two Gayle’s now B)
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,798 Member
    Options
    grits` if you have a sports authority near you anywhere, they have them on sale for 79.99, they have always been 99.99 so that is a good savings, reason being they have more advanced ones now. but good luck with everything
  • gawworthington
    gawworthington Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    FitBit- I think Costco has them at about the same price.
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Happy Wednesday ! ! !

Today is one of our early days, so I have time to pick up my concert tickets and still be at baseball before they start.

Janetr – I would like to visit Hawaii, too. Maybe someday I will save up enough money, and you and I can go together. My DH would want to go (it was his favorite vacation prior to meeting me), but I wouldn’t mind leaving him behind.

Michele – I think the concert is August 9. I pick up my tickets tonight between work and baseball. // Depending on the brand of watch and the type of links, removing a link should not be too big of a deal. I would suggest taking a Ziploc baggie along, so the removed link and accessory hardware can be saved, just in case something happens and a different link breaks and needs to be replaced. Some Timex watch bands have links that are super hard to remove; then you are better off buying a different band. (I also sold/repaired Jewelry for Shopko for about 6 years)

Barbie – Hooray for you and your weight training. I’m happy for you, and proud of Jake for being so agreeable. Good man !

Tupilor – I like the advice from Janetr on exercise. I have a network at my job, so if I remember to whine to someone about not wanting to exercise, they will encourage me. It also helps to have a “buddy”, so you can hold each other accountable. You don’t need to worry about who is doing more, just that you get each other to do some sort of exercise. Most importantly, find a way to make it fun. I’m still learning how to download stuff onto my phone, but music or TV or something helps prevent me from getting bored too soon. Keep trying, you can do it ! ! !

Lillian – ROFL ! ! ! Thanks!

JantMMcC – If you look on your store receipt, there may be an address to do an online survey, to make sure the “higher-ups” know about your great service. Also, sometimes management from a different department or different day can take you compliments. Since more people complain than compliment, I’m sure everyone involved would love to hear your story.

Lisa – Sorry and Scary about falling asleep. I’m glad you woke-up before crashing again. Congrats on the loss.

Joyce – I should have time to check YouTube for my phone tutorials on Sunday. Baseball season has a triumphant ending, so no time until Sunday.

Today is another Play-offs game. Thursday is Open Class Home Run Derby. Friday is All Star game and Junior Division Home Run Derby. Saturday is Junior Play-offs. Plus, parents need to volunteer whenever their son’s team is not playing (hopefully that means I am done volunteering).

Great Video of the C2C crochet. I know how to do a standard square decrease, but I think I will try a rectangle soon. I have a baby blanket that is about 18 inches across right now, so when I go back to it, I will try the rectangle. So Excited. Thanks!

Yesterday ended up being a huge failure. I wasn’t needed for the 50/50 raffle, so I sat and counted pitches instead. When I got home I had a healthy supper, but when I woke up and couldn’t get to sleep because of restless legs, I was too tired to cut up any fruits or vegetables, so ate some pop tarts that DS doesn’t like too much. I had no idea they were so many calories until I punched them into my food diary this morning. Lesson Learned ! ! ! I hope I can make some time this weekend to prepare my midnight snacks, so I can have something healthy. Then, if DS isn’t going to eat the pop tarts they will go out with the garbage.

Hugs for Everyone ! ! !

Terri in Milwaukee
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,088 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Miriam it struck me today as I was doing my gardening that my gardening is like your cats. It is hard for me to say no to a plant in need. Once I bring that plant home I as responsible for that plant to see that I give it the best possible chance to be healthy. I admit some of my plants are healthier than others. When I went on that garden tour with my friend we stopped at my house so I could give her a tour of my garden. The thought of taking care of a garden like this was overwhelming to her. Yet she enjoyed visiting my garden. I will also admit I have also tried to simply what I could in my garden. At least half of my garden is hostas and ferns. These are very low maintenance. Periodically I have to cut the ferns back because they bully everything else out. Most of the time I feel the garden takes care of me. If I am not careful and get too many plants I do feel over burdened and my garden does not fair so well. Then over course there is the diva hedge but that is a whole other story.

Michele I missed your turtle too. I remember seeing it before you painted it.

:heart: MNMargaret
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,697 Member
    Options
    morning peeps -

exermom - according to kirby i was there for 4 hours AND in the hallway, no room, more like 8k. kirby just mentioned last night after i got home. great, a 8000.00 birthday. no more celebrating bdays, not ever, he said.

damnit - i go for a followup visit tomorrow (thursday). then he said while i was on the phone w/him that he wanted to refer me to another doc at that time 2c what his recommendation was for the shoulder, to let heal as is with a permanent bump or surgery to fix it. yeah, i'm not going to do anything til i am better. i don't know about how much ins. is going to pay, we'll see. gotta find out if they are in-network or out of network. my thing is i haven't pd much of my deductible because i am healthy, no doc visits, i dunno, kirby is being selfish right now.
    congrats on getting off some meds! YEAYYYYYYYY FOR YOU~!!!!!!!!!!!!

TULIPLOR - start walking - if you have a pool to go into, walk laps in the pool for resistance.... congrats on you 20 log in!!!

sluts - where you end up buying your fitbit BEFORE buying, ask them their return policy. REI is where i got my polar watches when i was using them and their return policy is AMAZING. so ask first what their return policy is.

Kirby is holding me to his standard of celebrating bdays - because he went above/beyond for mine, he expects the same, so yesterday, he was off of work so by the time I got home he had a few beers under his belt. I knew something was up and he had been drinking and he says that comment about an $8k bday gift. later he said i'm sorry you're not feeling well, but you can mend broken bones and fix your head, but you can't mend a broken heart. I in turn said in a very calm voice, I would rather switch with you any day. I know it's the beer talking and he's being dramatic but his true feelings came out as they had since my fall. I will end up doing the balloon ride whether he likes it or not. I am not in the mood for having that discussion with him so I just kept my mouth shut.

type to ya later..

• miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Margaret. Funny you should mention rescuing plants! I was chatting with this lady where I worked a few years back. She had bought a house that was across the street from a very nice nursery. The previous owner had been a gardener and the entire yard was flowers - it was even on the garden tour! This lady who bought the place realized that the upkeep was time consuming so she had her husband tilling under the entire yard! I told her to have him stop, and spent two days digging up plants! She had all sorts of interesting day lilies, turtleheads, hostas, astilbe, etc. I planted some in the downtown mini-park that I tend, part in my yard, and part in my neighbor's yard. I took four small pickup loads of plants out of the yard!

My yard has a path of grass and a small patch for the dog. The rest is shrubs and perennials.
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    @Terri - "Janetr – I would like to visit Hawaii, too. Maybe someday I will save up enough money, and you and I can go together. My DH would want to go (it was his favorite vacation prior to meeting me), but I wouldn’t mind leaving him behind."

Hey sounds great to me. We would have a blast, I'm sure. :)

Janetr

• janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Cleaning lady is here making my home sparkle. :) My youngest daughter and her family, from Lubbock, TX, will be here tomorrow. They will only be here for the weekend but I am so excited to see them. Saw my daughter a couple of times, Dec. and April, but have not seen the kiddos and SIL in probably a year or more. Jack is out getting the trailer all fixed up. Turned on the AC and fridge yesterday so it will be nice and cool for them. I still need to go put the clean linens on the big bed and vacuum/dust. I'm so excited to see them. Pics of trailer.p0961snt19mu.jpg
    vl56osysjqm4.jpg
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,088 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Pip proud of you for recognizing both of you are upset right now. I know I have a hard time keeping quiet at a time like that. Good job! Healing first. Discussion later.

We have been on a Hot Air Balloon Ride about ten years ago. The the one we went on wanted their money up front. They also will only fly when conditions are perfect. We had to schedule twice and I had to pay extra because they do have expiration dates, and they still made us pay extra even though our first time was cancelled. One couple had to schedule seven times. One couple was lucky and only scheduled once. At the time it cost about what airfare would be to a nice location, so it was not cheap. I do not know what they are today. I still think it was worth it for us.

Sounds like Kirby is worried about the money. The Hot Air Balloon Ride sounds like a wonderful idea when the timing is right.

Miriam that is why I have such a hard time for me to travel in the summer because some of my plants need daily care. They are my pets since we do not have any dogs or cats. Cats because I am allergic and dogs because my DH won't have one. I will not bring a dog into a home where they are not wanted. This is why I so enjoy all the dog pictures that are posted.

My DH did take care of my garden for me when I went down to St. Louis in June. He did a great job I didn't lose any of plants.

:heart: MNMargaret
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone. It's a beautiful, cool day here today. We might get a little rain, but that's ok. I'm at swim lessons now, watching. One of my grandkids quit in a huff yesterday, so today I just have two. A young lady I know a little bit came up to talk to me for a few minutes and ended up trying to give me diet advice. Don't know why she thought that was a good idea.

My hips were still sore today, so I didn't even try to walk, much less jog. Yesterday my step total was 12,000 and I was afraid it might have aggravated the hip pain, so I'm taking a day off.

Margaret, I wish I had your way with plants. I have one sad house plant with several brown leaves, so I don't know if I'm giving it too much water or too little. It's about 3 years old, though, so maybe it's just dying of old age. Or maybe it needs to be repotted.

Lisa, I'm glad you weren't hurt when you fell asleep. I used to get really sleepy when I drove home to Kansas City after visiting my now-hubby who lived 100 miles away. We alternated driving to see each other for two years before I finally moved in with him. Usually I was driving at 1 or 2 in the morning, and felt like, if I just close my eyes for a second or two, it'll be all right. Scary. And Miriam is right to suggest a sleep study. That was a big problem for hubby too, and after he was diagnosed and got his cpap machine, he doesn't get sleepy driving anymore.

Grits, my advice is to look for the new Fitbit that tells time and other stuff. I have the flex and have loved it, but now am yearning for the one with more features. A teller at my bank was showing me hers the other day and she said she really likes it. It shows the number of steps, too, not just five dots. That seems very helpful to me. I can't count the number of times I've wondered what time it was and looked at my wrist only to find no time. If it feels like a watch, it should BE a watch.

Tulplor, I hate exercising too, but I have learned to relish the feeling of accomplishment from doing it. I'm screaming "I did it!" on the inside.

Well, swimming is over. Have a great day everyone!

Sylvia
  • cd_va
    cd_va Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Leaving a short intro paragraph to say "hello, everyone!" I'm coming back to MFP after being very successful losing weight two years ago. I'm catching myself before I get too far gone this time.

I've let about 15 lbs. find me again. Most of my smaller clothes still fit, but I want to go back to using MFP to be accountable and not wind up in clothes 3 sizes larger, feeling awful again.

I live in the lovely state of Virginia.

Looking forward to supporting/finding support with you all!

Colleen
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    tuliplor: Only you can provide motivation that is strong enough to get the job done, but we can provide encouragement and moral support. I wanted to be able to ride horses and was so heavy that I hurt my own knee. I was furious that I was injured because of my weight. That gave me enough incentive to buckle down and change my lifestyle. Ask yourself why you want to be slim. You are worth any amount of effort that it will take. Find exercise that is fun for you. I like yoga and my neighbor likes Zumba. There are lots of fun ways to move. Exercise doesn't have to be drudgery. :flowerforyou:

Lillian: I get on the scales in my birthday suit, too. I won't peek at you if you promise not to peek at me. :laugh:

Joyce: I'm sending good thoughts for Charlie's medication. I hope all works out well. :flowerforyou:

Heather: I am no fan of sleeping pills on a habitual basis, but sometimes it is an emergency and there isn't a better solution. If you ever travel in the Pacific NW I would love to see you and show off some favorite places. :bigsmile:

Barbie: A brief meet up would be wonderful. We don't have a specific date yet, but it will likely be about three to three & a half weeks from now. :flowerforyou:

Grits: Your comment on straw as mulch made me think of my early experiments in gardening. I used hay for mulch and it was full of seeds. Big mistake that caused no end of work. At the time I didn't know that straw and hay are two different things. :noway: Then I planted sunchokes, another big mistake. They multiply like bunnies. If I ever grow them again, they'll be in pots. :laugh:

Yoga today! Yay!!! Tomorrow I have a doctor appointment for a medicine review. I haven't seen my doctor in a while, and it is a good thing to review the need for medicines from time to time.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

July Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    DJ...congrats on lowering your meds and being overweight!

Chris in MA
    17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    Hello everyone! We have the DGS'S they really keep us busy. We were fishing all day then went on a boat ride after supper.

Gayle- what part of Mpls are you from? I grew up in S Mpls. 43rd and 44 th street. I graduated from Rosevelt in 75.

Have a great night everyone!

Mary from Minnesota

I'm at 48 th n Portland . Im St. Paul girl, Harding in 68. Just a little older than you. Are you still south??? We have lived here 37 years, love the area.!!!! Gayle Minneapolis
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Janetr - I would be so excited to take a vacation (anything that has nothing to do with bowling, baseball, or basketball :D ) My DH is SUPER cheap.

Pip - I'm so sorry the beer messed with Kirby's head like that. True feelings? Maybe. But more likely just brief feelings of wanting more, and having less time worrying about you. But I don't think it is something he will "hold against you", at least not for long. Based on the pictures and descriptions from prior to your fall, your trip had already been fun-filled and exciting. Please take care !
  • ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Just a quick hello. The scale this morning showed about half a pound weight gain, but we went out to dinner last night so I'm going to try re-doing my weekly weigh-in tomorrow. I stayed within my calorie goal but I've found that it's hard to keep sodium down when we eat out, no matter what I order, so I'll make sure to get my water in today and we'll see if it's really a gain or just a temporary fluctuation. We've moved to a small town and finding restaurants that offer healthy food is hard, especially since everything also closes early. Of course, the advantage to that is that we're eating out much less often than we did in Austin.

It's a busy week. I had my hair cut and colored by a new person here, but I don't like it so I'm going back to my guy in Austin tomorrow. My hair is a color not found in nature and I don't think Taylor quite knows what to make of that. Then I'm having fasting blood work Friday, and the earliest appointment I could get was 1 p.m. so I'll be without food or water until it's done. Guess I'd better go prepared with a healthy snack to eat in the car afterwards, because I'll be starving by then!

Maybe once I get out of there I can finally make the 70-mile round trip to the specialty bra store and knock out that last July goal! Just read a recent article, "French Study Says Brassieres Are A 'False Necessity'," but they can't have studied many busty women. I don't wear a bra to prevent sagging, I wear one because the amount of movement generated by the girls when they're unfettered is uncomfortable and unconducive to any kind of physical activity.

Happy hump day!

-Yvonne in TX

July Goals:
    1. Track on MFP every day.
    2. Get the exercise machines set up and step up the cardio.
    3. Unpack my office.
    4. Clear out the storage unit we filled up while moving (lift that box! tote that bale!).
    5. Start saving/shopping for a better bike.
    6. Get fitted for a sports bra.
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    Pip ... He's having a pity party. We're all entitled to them. From what you've said in the past, I'm guessing it will be short-lived.

DJ... Congratulations on a successful doctors appointment!

Margaret ... A DIVA hedge? Lol!

Ok how are you all walking laps in a pool? I assume there's a deep end? I have a small inground pool... About 16x32. What would you suggest? It's still a little cold ... Waiting on new gas valve die heater ... But I'd truly like to get in before Fall!

Sleep apnea ... Migraine son was just diagnosed with severe sleep apnea. Waiting on equipment. Possibly the root cause of all his migraines! Wouldn't that be something?

Hope you're all having a good day!

Beth
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Greetings. It’s cool but humid here today which gives me a headache! I spent about 2 hours in the yard cleaning up, trimming, deadheading flowers, etc. and was having a good time until I stepped in a stinging ant nest. Ow Ow Ow. So I’m in now but trapped in my office while my new tile floor is being laid down. I think it’s going to look great.

Sylvia: so sorry about ex DIL. What a mess. (((hugs)))

Rosie I hear you need a ton more rain to mitigate that drought!

Carol: they never do grow out of destroying our things, do they? My eldest daughter thinks everything bad in life is DD#2’s fault, including once telling me “She made a face at me when she was 6 months old”. The sad thing is she actually believes this crap. DD#2 tries so hard to be nice and kind but DD#2 just doesn’t deserve it.

DJ: yes the halibut comes wrapped in gold foil and is autographed by President Obama LOL> I nearly fainted. $7 cod is bad enough!!! That dinner is tonight and it damn well better be good LOL

Lilian: I Know what you mean; I have been giving my panties very suspicious looks!

Carey: great goals

Joyce: I’m not surprised you had a headache and I hope it’s gone by now

Rosie: that spider did me in!

Heather: how scary! I hope dh is ok now

Alison: take care of yourself

GRIT: fingers crossed!

Lisa: you TX women are tough! You’ll come out on top

Cheri: I’m glad I didn’t see that picture before bed last night!

Pip: I think you need to go back and see the dr again. This dizziness has gone on too long

Chris: glad the visit was so good!

Terri: that’s so funny about your phone. Neither DH nor I have a smart phone. We switched from Verizon because even with my corporate discount it was getting crazy expensive. We have us cellular now and haven’t had any issues.

Mia: don’t give up! I had a better beard than most men. It took several years, but now only have a stray hair here and there now. I still go because I’m doing my bikini line and eyebrows. Vanity!

Jane: glad the fire was not in your house!

GRIT: I’m sure someone else has answered you by now but fitbit is a step counter. Mine also tracks sleep. You can get them plain or fancy. Many stores carry them but you can also go to fitbit.com

Ydaily: you are brave. I would never go camping by myself. I can’t even go walking or cycling by myself except in our neighborhood! I'm Chicken!

Linda: all our critters have come from rescues! Too bad the kitties were gone already they are so fun to have around but hopefully they will have good homes now.

Miriam: it amazes me how so many people will not give a simple pill to an animal! I’ve had so many special needs animals I figure in my retirement I need to open a long term care facility for them!

Michele: I sure hope things go well for Vince. I see a lot of long term amio patients, even though it’s not for long term but sometimes nothing else works or the pt refuses anything else. They used to use it a lot more for long term than they do now…it really does have some nasty side effects. Is there a good web site for Mahjong directions? I want to play the Chinese version, not the matching version and my directions are in such poor
    English no one understands them . I have two beautiful antique sets.

DJ: great news!

Barbie: good for you on the weights!

JanetM: salespeople are a rare find! They are pretty good here at Dillard and Von Maur, but it seems like that is becoming a lost job.

Lhannon: omg take care of yourself!

Well ladies I need to get ready for a conference call to decide on whom to hire for my co-teacher’s replacement. Wish me luck! I want the gal who has adjuncted for me for the last 4 years, but for some reason, the Dean and Program Director don’t like her and won’t tell me why. They just keep coming up with stuff like “Her children will interfere with her job”. Well, no they haven’t in four years why do you say that? No answer. So it’s going to be a tough call.

Take care all, Meg from Omaha temporarily trapped in the office with the dog on a leash.