Husband sabotage

Options

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Anyone thinking in a mindset of "sabotage" is starting off on the wrong foot. I'm not even going to address the specific poster in this thread, I'm just going to put the whole thought out there.

Getting control over our own food intake is no one else's job. The world does not have to accommodate the fact that each of us have issues with it. That's our problem. We need to learn to handle multiple temptations in all sorts of situations, and that begins at home.

Expecting someone else to change because you're changing? Flip that scenario around? How put upon would you feel? And before anyone jumps in and says that they'd do it for their spouse out of WUV, think long and hard about changing all your habits out of the blue.

So all of you who believe in the concept of sabotage, just how do you deal with temptation at all? Honestly.

Weight loss and maintenance have abysmal long-term success rates, and I think a mindset like this might be one of the many factors why.

tumblr_lr6uiqel0X1r2hybuo1_400.gif
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Anyone thinking in a mindset of "sabotage" is starting off on the wrong foot. I'm not even going to address the specific poster in this thread, I'm just going to put the whole thought out there.

Getting control over our own food intake is no one else's job. The world does not have to accommodate the fact that each of us have issues with it. That's our problem. We need to learn to handle multiple temptations in all sorts of situations, and that begins at home.

Expecting someone else to change because you're changing? Flip that scenario around? How put upon would you feel? And before anyone jumps in and says that they'd do it for their spouse out of WUV, think long and hard about changing all your habits out of the blue.

So all of you who believe in the concept of sabotage, just how do you deal with temptation at all? Honestly.

Weight loss and maintenance have abysmal long-term success rates, and I think a mindset like this might be one of the many factors why.

giphy.gif

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

Well said, :)
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    What is considered "junk food"??

Why does he have to change his ways?? He's not on a diet, she is!!!
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    why does support = giving up everything that one likes so that the other spouse can get what they want?

If OP does not want to eat donuts, then don't eat them, period.

He doesn't HAVE to. But if he was sincere in saying he wants to support OP ("He says he supports me in this and wants me to succeed"), then that could well mean not bringing food into the house that would tempt OP to pig out.

At the end of the day, yes, it's all up to OP to lose weight, with or without her husband's support -- but speaking from personal experience, having your husband support you does make it easier, especially in the beginning.

I thought about the above bolded...

For me personally...not sure that I want someone else to make it easier. What does make it easier...for me...

Each day that I manage to make good decisions...each day that I don't give in to those temptations that I face every day...makes it easier.

Maybe I look at all of this differently than some...I want to have to fight for this...on my own. I don't want to depend on others to make it easier.

I agree with this.

I don't want it to be easier, I want temptations, so that I can teach myself no/yes/moderation or just indulged cause had a great workout this week or whatever.

Recently I bought a bag of chips to eat with a sandwich...had 1 serving and started to throw the rest away so that I wouldn't be tempted to eat the whole bag. Instead I put them in the cabinet just to see if I could control myself. They stayed up there so long that they went stale...had to throw them out. There was a point where I would have eaten the whole bag in one day.

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    just break up.
  • ThomaScene
    ThomaScene Posts: 2 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Yes my Hubby does that too, but he too tries to act like he doesn't want me to notice his actions. He'll always want fried food and when I'm making something baked he'll ask me what im doing! Like I'm commiting a crime... He's out of control. The most I can tell you to do is share what he likes, if he brings donuts, eat one with him, but only one.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    What is considered "junk food"??

Why does he have to change his ways?? He's not on a diet, she is!!!
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    why does support = giving up everything that one likes so that the other spouse can get what they want?

If OP does not want to eat donuts, then don't eat them, period.

He doesn't HAVE to. But if he was sincere in saying he wants to support OP ("He says he supports me in this and wants me to succeed"), then that could well mean not bringing food into the house that would tempt OP to pig out.

At the end of the day, yes, it's all up to OP to lose weight, with or without her husband's support -- but speaking from personal experience, having your husband support you does make it easier, especially in the beginning.

I agree with this. What's so wrong with being a little selfish? You say you want to help and support me - unless it actually involves doing something. I say there's no harm in asking for what you need. If your partner says no, then figure out alternative solutions without their help
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    I'm deeply saddened by the lack of doughnuts in this thread. I should call my husband and tell him to bring some home, and not keep them in the car.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

There is some truth to this, but expecting your spouse to at least not make a difficult thing more difficult is far from the same thing as expecting the entire world to accommodate you.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

There is some truth to this, but expecting your spouse to at least not make a difficult thing more difficult is far from the same thing as expecting the entire world to accommodate you.

Why?? I never forced my family to change their eating habits just because I was working on losing weight.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    so the husband has to hide all the foods he likes in the car, and can't eat them in his house?

That's for the husband and wife to decide.
    and OP has indicated absolutely zero binging disorder, so for you to assume that is the care here is 1000% off base.

I've read enough of these posts to be able to read between the lines, as no doubt you have. OP would not be calling this behavior "husband sabotage" if her husband bringing donuts home was not causing her to have self-control issues.
    these threads always amaze me ..if relationships are a 50/50 deal why is it OK for the wife to tell him to stop eating everything he likes because she wants to lose weight????

First of all, relationships are seldom 50/50 on every issue. Secondly, if the wife has a health problem that requires behavior changes on the husband's part, than a loving, caring husband would make the required changes. For example, if the wife had asthma aggravated by smoking in the house, then I would expect the husband to not smoke in the house. My step-mother would not allow my father to smoke in the house with no health issues.

Second of all, no one is suggesting that the husband has to stop eating what he likes. The issue is bringing the donuts home. He is completely free to eat them outside the home.
    Bringing something into the house is not rubbing their noses in it. I suggested she ask him to put them away so she doesn't have to see them all the time. That's about all you can ask, imo.

It's not up to you to decide what is "rubbing your nose in it", though. Clearly OP feels like the husband bringing the donuts into the house is sabotaging her weight loss efforts. For some people, if it's in the house it's too easy to indulge.
    So he should never have any kind of foods he likes because she is on a diet?!?!

I never said that. OP does not say she has a problem with her husband eating donuts, just bringing them home. Presumably OP does not care if her husband goes and eats all the donuts he wants at the donut shop.
    I do the grocery shopping and when I was losing weight, I still bought my boys and hubby foods they like!! They don't have to be on the diet, I am, I can either work those foods in or don't have them at all!!!!!

Good for you! That is the healthy relationship everyone should strive for with food. Not everyone is there yet.
  • heyeyeya
    heyeyeya Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I don't really see what the issue is. You don't need to DEMAND that he doesn't bring home donuts....I simply ASKED my boyf if he wouldn't mind keeping his packets of our favourite cookies in his office rather than the kitchen.

He doesn't care where the cookies are as long as he can access them!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I'm deeply saddened by the lack of doughnuts in this thread. I should call my husband and tell him to bring some home, and not keep them in the car.

For real... I would divorce if I found out my hubby ate donuts in the car without bringing me any.

Also donuts!:

giphy.gif
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

Why??

Why is it different? Because one is your spouse and the other is a world full of mostly strangers.
  • Yoshirio
    Yoshirio Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    This thread is sabotaging me,cause now all I want for dinner is yummy cream filled donuts.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    so the husband has to hide all the foods he likes in the car, and can't eat them in his house?

That's for the husband and wife to decide.
    and OP has indicated absolutely zero binging disorder, so for you to assume that is the care here is 1000% off base.

I've read enough of these posts to be able to read between the lines, as no doubt you have. OP would not be calling this behavior "husband sabotage" if her husband bringing donuts home was not causing her to have self-control issues.
    these threads always amaze me ..if relationships are a 50/50 deal why is it OK for the wife to tell him to stop eating everything he likes because she wants to lose weight????

First of all, relationships are seldom 50/50 on every issue. Secondly, if the wife has a health problem that requires behavior changes on the husband's part, than a loving, caring husband would make the required changes. For example, if the wife had asthma aggravated by smoking in the house, then I would expect the husband to not smoke in the house. My step-mother would not allow my father to smoke in the house with no health issues.

Second of all, no one is suggesting that the husband has to stop eating what he likes. The issue is bringing the donuts home. He is completely free to eat them outside the home.
    Bringing something into the house is not rubbing their noses in it. I suggested she ask him to put them away so she doesn't have to see them all the time. That's about all you can ask, imo.

It's not up to you to decide what is "rubbing your nose in it", though. Clearly OP feels like the husband bringing the donuts into the house is sabotaging her weight loss efforts. For some people, if it's in the house it's too easy to indulge.
    So he should never have any kind of foods he likes because she is on a diet?!?!

I never said that. OP does not say she has a problem with her husband eating donuts, just bringing them home. Presumably OP does not care if her husband goes and eats all the donuts he wants at the donut shop.
    I do the grocery shopping and when I was losing weight, I still bought my boys and hubby foods they like!! They don't have to be on the diet, I am, I can either work those foods in or don't have them at all!!!!!

Good for you! That is the healthy relationship everyone should strive for with food. Not everyone is there yet.

you have no clue that she has a binging problem, and just because you think that you can "read between the lines" and see it, does not make it true. No where in this thread has OP said that she binges, so to assume that she does, just because you think it is utterly ridiculous and indicates a serious flaw in your thinking.

wait, you said that the husband should accommodate the wife, but now you say that is for them to decide? Move the goal posts much?
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options
    Donuts > spouse

EVERY TIME!
  • hcdo
    hcdo Posts: 201 Member
    Options

[/quote]

There is some truth to this, but expecting your spouse to at least not make a difficult thing more difficult is far from the same thing as expecting the entire world to accommodate you. [/quote]

^This. I understand that our battle with food really comes down to ourselves, but let's face it, often overeating can be symptomatic of other things, and hopefully a spouse would be supportive of what their SO is dealing with. As another poster mentioned, we aren't all there yet, whether it be the ability to create an iron willpower or a very healthy relationship.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    you have no clue that she has a binging problem, and just because you think that you can "read between the lines" and see it, does not make it true. No where in this thread has OP said that she binges, so to assume that she does, just because you think it is utterly ridiculous and indicates a serious flaw in your thinking.

I have not said anything about binging - you are the one who brought that up. I said she obviously has self-control issues if she feels, by her own words, that her husband bringing donuts home is sabotaging her diet efforts.

If she had no self-control issues, why would this be considered saboteur? She would simply ignore the donuts.
    wait, you said that the husband should accommodate the wife, but now you say that is for them to decide? Move the goal posts much?

Yes, I believe the husband should accommodate the wife, but ultimately it is for them both to decide.

It is no different than my step-mother who doesn't allow my father to smoke in the house. Yes, I think my father, the one making the pollution, should accommodate his wife. But ultimately, it's up to them to decide how to resolve the situation.