August 2015 Running Challenge

Replies

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    8/1 - 10 miles
    8/2 - 3.2 miles
    8/3 - 5.5 miles 1st day of school here, can't believe my baby is a Sophomore!
    8/4 - 3.2 miles

21.9 miles of 120

exercise.png

@kristinegift yes green is definitely nature and goes with floral
    @7lenny7 when I saw your course I thought I bet that is beautiful I'm so happy you posted pictures. Sorry the calf started to act up. I do some dynamic stretching before I run, I'll have to look more into the lunge matrix. If I let Skip do her warm up it takes about 10 minutes, they are very big on warm up, cool down and stretching at cross country practice.
    @melaniefav41 nice bug face ha ha!
    @jimcrackindandy I keep saying I'm going to try trail running and then I just don't do it. Skip and I are running a 5K this weekend and the it is part trail and part road. Should be interesting.
    @ddmom0811 the potty app the thought of it just makes me laugh. I may need to break down and get a smartphone so I can get that app.
    @jtarmom sorry about the recurring ITB issue
    @demoiselle2014 - smart idea to take care of those shins, get them fully recovered
    @kellyship17 congrats on signing up for your first half. I did my first in April and I'm signed up for my second in November.
    @twomaddogz welcome to the group and woohoo on the 10 miler coming up
  • 2.25 miles today.

exercise.png
  • apennock
    apennock Posts: 49 Member
    8/1 - 3 mi
    8/2 - 2 mi (5 mi planned)

Shin splints! Ugh! Ended my 5 mile run early (was doing a mile loop around the park thankfully) and have my fingers and toes crossed that it'll be better today. Combination of increasing mileage and buying new shoes. Might try sticking my super foot insoles into the new shoes and see what happens!
  • Dichotomy1976
    Dichotomy1976 Posts: 93 Member
    2/8: 8.1 Miles
    4/8: 3.8 Miles

exercise.png

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Here I am, skipping my first running day in weeks because I need to give my shins time to recover. I've cut out all the high impact exercise I've been doing and started looking into running-specific exercises and stretches. Did yoga this morning, then the stretches in the video posted above. My shins feel slightly better after the stretches, but I've still got an occasional dull ache. I guess it's a good thing I figured out what was going on when I did, or it might be worse.

I guess I'll probably be taking a full week off running. Today, I'm taking a class to try to learn how to ride a bike. Now, if only I had a bike . . .

Keep doing the video. In time, those shins, calves, and ankles will become very loose. It's not something you do just once.

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    1- 8.35 miles. walk
    2- 5.9
    3 rest
    4- 3.24

17.49/70+
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    Here I am, skipping my first running day in weeks because I need to give my shins time to recover. I've cut out all the high impact exercise I've been doing and started looking into running-specific exercises and stretches. Did yoga this morning, then the stretches in the video posted above. My shins feel slightly better after the stretches, but I've still got an occasional dull ache. I guess it's a good thing I figured out what was going on when I did, or it might be worse.

I guess I'll probably be taking a full week off running. Today, I'm taking a class to try to learn how to ride a bike. Now, if only I had a bike . . .

Keep doing the video. In time, those shins, calves, and ankles will become very loose. It's not something you do just once.

mobility/tightness/injury prevention is an ongoing battle- and when you "fix" one you move on to the next. the more you can stay up on it the better off you'll be.
  • baldielove13
    baldielove13 Posts: 219 Member
    8/3: 4 miles

18.1/130
  • dstock80
    dstock80 Posts: 81 Member
    edited August 2015
    Aug 3: 3 miles
    Aug 4: 2.2 miles

exercise.png
  • briebee7
    briebee7 Posts: 224 Member
    DATE ... MILES
    8/1 ... 16.5
    8/2 ... 10
    8/4 ... 5

31.5 done/200 goal

I love, love, love my Tuesday morning running group! A group of 6 of us - we run hard and laugh a lot. I was joking that if I could hold my HM goal pace steadily while belly laughing at the same time, then I should be able to hold it no problem during the actual race in 2 weeks! Plus we were treated to an amazing sunrise over the Monterey Bay this morning. And no camera/phone to take pictures with.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Sitting outside and enjoying an IPA after my second run for the month. I've got 10.5/90 completed. Went back to the dense and mosquito-filled trail today. I know they're bad everywhere, but at this particular trail I dread even having to pause long enough to tie a shoe. Yay Black Swamp...... Because I love this group so much, here is my "I hate mosquitoes!" selfie. It's ok to laugh.p0beiybedamr.jpg

LOL! Very similar to my horse fly face!
  • TnTWalter
    TnTWalter Posts: 345 Member
    my goal is to run at least 3 miles a day in August [except Sundays]. So far so good! I run on a trail by a river. Weather has been great. My pace is 10 min. mile and I hope to be at 9 or less at the end of the month. So far I've run 3 every day except Sunday August 2.

In addition to improving my time, I hope to kick up the weight loss after doing great until July where I went way backwards on my path.

Trish
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited August 2015
    Wow! 30 new posts just this morning! I better try and catch up from my last post as it will be very hard to catch up later tonight after my run.

First off, love seeing the enthusiasm from all of the new and returning runners this month!

@skippygirlsmom - Love that video! I hear you about time constraints. The kids start school next week and I am having a lot of trouble figuring out right now how to fit my weekday runs in, particularly the mid-week long run. I can not firm up any plans until I get the bus schedules. I will have three kids going to three different schools, two on the bus, one will be driven to/from school. The one that is driven to school will get out early before noon, while the others will come back around 3-ish but be picked up by us instead of the bus. I am pretty sure morning runs will simply be impossible and I will be forced to run in the evenings since monrings and afternoons will be filled with work and shuttling kids around.

@_nikkiwolf_ - Nice frog! Glad to hear it did not try to eat your shoes. I hate when that happens.

@kimlight2 - Congrats on the PR Sunday!

@shanaber and @annekka - Hope your colds clear up quickly. Yikes, hope there's not something spreading around!

@kristinegift - Hope your achilles is OK, and glad you found the source of that issue!

@7lenny7 - I had not heard of the lunge matrix before. I do some dynamic stretching before races and some long runs, mostly just legs swings. So far I have not had to pay for that, so I figure there's no reason to change that up yet. Strength though, totally different story. If I slide on that I pay for it dearly. I am intrigued by this bathroom app. I always get an urge to pee around miles 3-4 and can only make it about 6 to 8 miles at most without a stop. Every. Damn. Time. Without fail. No matter how much I pee beforehand. Oh wait, was that TMI? Great lake pics, BTW.

@melaniefave41 - It takes dedication and sacrifice sometimes. You had the dedication and you sacrificed your epidermis. That is a look of determination if I've ever seen one!

@mwyvr - No worries, this is not a competition! I didn;t make my 200 miles last month mostly due to vacation. I'm glad I did not push too hard afterwards to make up those miles. Actually, I did, sort of. And I got tired. But I stopped myself in time (I think). Keep running smart!

@JimCrackingDandy - You should definitely hit the trails when you get a chance! I worry more about the ticks than the ogres (at least now that my shoes are ogre-proof) Shoes are kind of expensive, so that really sucked. I hear they only go for Hoka's though, so any other shoe and you should be fine. If you can run faster than me (think snail), then you shouldn't have much trouble with the ogres (even if you are wearing Hoka's).

@demoiselle2014 - Definitely rest up. I even take a couple extra days sometimes just to try and prevent a recurrence on my first run afterwards. You'll be surprised how quickly you can get your mileage and pace back.

@kellyship17 - Way to go signing up for that half! You can do it!

@apennock - Hope you can get those shin splints cleared up soon. Check a few pages back, there were some exercises and stretches listed to help with shin splints.

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member

I'll have to show Skip the video, she complains from time to time about her ankles being tight.

• Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Back up north. Ended up getting in too late yesterday to get in both a run and make it to the ballpark in time for the game, so went for a long run today. Loved being back in sub-50% humidity, and running through my usual park even though it was up to 80.

8/1 - 3 miles
    8/2 - 6 miles
    8/4 - 12 miles

Total: 21 miles
    Goal: 140 miles
    Remaining: 119 miles
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Aug 1 - 43 mile bike ride
    Aug 2 - 37 mile bike ride
    Aug 3 - 4.1 miles
    Aug 4 - 4.15 miles - Wow, I just love these early morning runs! I am also doing strength training this afternoon, and my cycling class. :blush:

exercise.png

@briebee7 - so jealous of your runs in Monterey. I was there last summer for a month. My daughter had an internship at the Naval school there, so I went to stay with her. That's actually where I started running and biking! The weather is so perfect. Then...I came back to Florida and couldn't even run a half mile in the heat! So I started over.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Aug 3- 2.5
    Aug 4 - 2
    So glad I started this challenge. I was in a rut.

exercise.png[img][/img]
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member

8/3/15 - 10 miles
    8/4/15 - 5.34 miles

exercise.png
  • demoiselle2014
    demoiselle2014 Posts: 474 Member

I figured I'd do it every morning. Or would it be better twice per day?
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    1/8/15 - 3 miles
    3/8/15 - 1.5 miles
    4/8/15 - 1.5 miles

i run with my girl since its the school holidays but not sure how much longer i can keep that up, she has diplegic cerebral palsy and runs in splints but has started to complain that i dont take enough walking breaks for her
    might have to move to running on the treadmill which i detest to save her legs a few days a week

exercise.png