August 2015 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• unrelentingminx
    unrelentingminx Posts: 231 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    A new PB for my 4.6km lunchtime jog today, a whole 30 seconds faster.

exercise.png
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    Here I am, skipping my first running day in weeks because I need to give my shins time to recover. I've cut out all the high impact exercise I've been doing and started looking into running-specific exercises and stretches. Did yoga this morning, then the stretches in the video posted above. My shins feel slightly better after the stretches, but I've still got an occasional dull ache. I guess it's a good thing I figured out what was going on when I did, or it might be worse.

I guess I'll probably be taking a full week off running. Today, I'm taking a class to try to learn how to ride a bike. Now, if only I had a bike . . .

Keep doing the video. In time, those shins, calves, and ankles will become very loose. It's not something you do just once.

I figured I'd do it every morning. Or would it be better twice per day?

Once a day is fine.

• wymel3
    wymel3 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Arriving late to the challenge! I've never done a challenge like this but I love running (okay, really a run/walker Galloway style). :) I aim to complete 45 miles this month and anything above is a bonus!

Stats:
    8/1: 5.0
    8/3: 2.5

Looking forward to seeing everyone's progress!
  • CancerSurvivor2014
    CancerSurvivor2014 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    August goal 45 miles - 8 completed
    Ran two half mile jogs(6mph) on treadmill
    So now 9 down, 36 to go.
    I enjoy y'all's posts, pictures and progress reports. I read what I can but this thread is "a little crazy" to keep up with
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    8/1: 5 miles
    8/2: 11.5 miles
    8/3: 4 miles
    8/4: XT day: 42 min bike (12 miles) and 35 min walk (2 miles), AKA: 2 episodes of Gilmore Girls because I had the fitness center ALL TO MYSELF and could giggle without judgment

20.5/200

img}
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

8.1.15.... 5.41 M... 52:30.
    8.4.15..... 3.19 M.... 28:10 didn't get up to run this morning- so had to run in the 90* humid 5 PM sun. boo. Oh well- I sunblocked up and hit it hard. Hoping with my very full day tomorrow I get in up early!! no time for over sleeping!

8.6 Of 75 miles for me. Happy Jo is happy!

• kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    My July goal was 30 miles and I hit that. I think I will shoot for 35 for August.

8/2 - 3.5mi. PR for distance Woohoo! According to my GPS I went 3.5 but according to the trail map I did 3.7 miles. I am going with my GPS since I always use the same one when I run so any errors should be consistent. Walking up to get ice cream with son and dog later so that will be another 3 miles but I will not include it in my monthly total.
    8/4 -3.6mi. Another PR! I went for a run on my break at work because I was falling asleep at my desk, don't tell the boss, and I ended up completing the run in 50 minutes which is what it took me to run 5k last month in the heat and humidity. I learned that my ideal pace right now is about a 13 minute pace so I was able to cut out most of the walk breaks except for walking up the big hill at the end of trail. (Why is there always a big hill at the end of a run?)

Completed : 7.1
    To go : 27.9

• erigann
    erigann Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm signed up for a half marathon in October, so I better hit 100 miles this month to stay on track!

So far I'm at 10 out of 100 done!

The heat & humidity are definitely hitting me hard this month
  • Daisy471
    Daisy471 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    8/1 - 9 miles
    8/2 - 4 miles
    8/4 - 3.2 miles

Ran in the rain and this was the view at the end of my run.reszez3x1flz.jpg
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Ran 8 miles of rolling hills and was worried at first since I forgot my water bottle, but a little before mile 6 a cold front blew in and a cool rain came down. So refreshing!

8/1 - 10 miles
    8/2 - 12 miles (22 miles total)
    8/4 - 8 miles (30 total)

Goal 220 miles

exercise.png

• CrimsonWhite
    CrimsonWhite Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    2 miles this evening, for a total of 10 miles out of 40. Good start to the month! Resting tomorrow, but headed to Charleston for work (been in Columbia, SC, it's pretty hot here), so will walk around the historic district some around dinner time to get my steps in.
  • Erin9607
    Erin9607 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    5 km today
    14/100 km :)
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    8/1 7km
    8/4 5km
    exercise.png

Walked out to my truck this morning - doors wouldn't open- dead battery.
    Boosted it with my Emerg UPS Battery. Disconnected the cables and truck died.
    Alternator was :s . Changed into running gear and ran to work. Changed into spare clothes at work.
    Darn - Fitness pays off.

No fun climbing back into the running gear at the end of the day to go home but I Am To Cheap to pay for a cab and tow truck. I replaced the alternator ( $200.00 ) and B) . So $300 saved versus a garage repair = new running shoes and winter gear.

Edited for @cheshirecatastrophe
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    and winter gear.

IF YOU DON'T SAY IT, IT WON'T HAPPEN.

...Please?
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    August goal 60 miles

8/1 I really...
    8/2 Need to find a better source
    8/3 For my Chinese take out supply....
    8/4 Managed a 1.17 "ralk" with all 3 puppies....and a deceptively calm evening seascape on the day BEFORE Guillermo...
    wcps1ipob9gq.jpg

Total 1.17

Ticker is my goal for 2015 and accumulation to date:

exercise.png

• HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    sorry for the double post: 1st time it didn't seem to "take."
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,489 Member
    Options
    @melaniefave41, great mosquito selfie!
    @demoiselle2014 and @apennock, hope those shins feel better soon!
    @vivimigot, congrats on finishing C25K!!!
    @briebee7, I've not run with a running group but reading your post makes me think I should find one. My problem is it's hard for me to have a regular schedule work and kid events.
    @unrelentingminx and @kimlight2, well done on the PRs!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the well wishes. I am still congested but got in a run early early this morning and felt so much better afterwards just from the stress relief! Work is still crazy and I am trying to make sure I just get up and walk away from the computer several times a day and do my stretching when I can, when I am on conference calls, etc.. Not working out great but it it is better than just sitting all day in one place. Because my days are crazy I am on here late at night before bed to check on what everyone has been up to and get my motivation up to get up early and out the door!
    karllundy wrote: »
    All - I think we may be a dog group with a running problem.
    @karllundy - I am definitely a dog person with a running problem - I don't run fast enough for my dog :)
    @ddmom0811 - Pretty sure one of those Rhodesian puppies should have gone home with you! They could carry your tiny dog in a pack when you all go for a run :) Also love the idea of a bathroom locator app! I could see many uses for it and not just runners - how about moms with small children!
    @melaniefave41 - Love the 'I hate mosquitoes' picture!
    @mwyvr - cheers to you and @melaniefave41 for IPAs!
    @5BeautifulDays - I know that twitchy feeling myself. Unplanned rest yesterday due to a cold and work... had to take the pup for a walk in the afternoon to clear my head and get out some of his wiggles.
    @7lenny7 - lovely lake to run by/around!
    @HonuNui - I can not imagine running with 3 dogs!
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    Here I am, skipping my first running day in weeks because I need to give my shins time to recover. I've cut out all the high impact exercise I've been doing and started looking into running-specific exercises and stretches. Did yoga this morning, then the stretches in the video posted above. My shins feel slightly better after the stretches, but I've still got an occasional dull ache. I guess it's a good thing I figured out what was going on when I did, or it might be worse.

I guess I'll probably be taking a full week off running. Today, I'm taking a class to try to learn how to ride a bike. Now, if only I had a bike . . .

Keep doing the video. In time, those shins, calves, and ankles will become very loose. It's not something you do just once.
    mobility/tightness/injury prevention is an ongoing battle- and when you "fix" one you move on to the next. the more you can stay up on it the better off you'll be.
    @demoiselle2014 - It needs to be a routine - something you always do before or after you run or both...

All of you running in cool rains - please send some this way! We are burning up out here in California, quite literally!

Date.......Miles......Total
    08/01.....8.45.......8.45
    08/02.....0.00.......8.45 - rest
    08/03.....0.00.......8.45 - unplanned rest +Agility
    08/04.....5.11.....13.56 - +Strength training

exercise.png
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    8/1 3.2 @ 10:55 (my first 5K race--33:43, plus a little cool down)
    8/2 5 @ 20:00 Hiking
    8/3 4.5 walking (about an 18 min mile--with a lot of stops. Walking children and dog) Today was supposed to be a rest day, so ok, but I haven't run since Saturday and I'm feeling a little twitchy.

8/4 4.0 @ 11:30 on the treadmill

Tomorrow I'm off to the amusement park with the kiddos. I don't imagine I'll get a run in, but I wouldn't exactly call it a rest day, either, lol!

@shanaber I will take the dog out when I can't do anything else, but it's often an exercise in frustration, since *I* don't need to stop at every fence post, tree, and mailbox! *He* on the other hand, can't imagine why anyone would run when there are such lovely smells and things to piddle on!

exercise.png

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,489 Member
    Options
    8/01 - Forced Rest
    8/02 - Forced Rest
    8/03 - 5.7 miles
    8/04 - 4.8 miles

Goal: 100 miles
    Progress: 10.5 miles

Another post-sailing lesson run tonight, around the same lakes. This time I ran until I just felt pain in my calf, rather than trying to run through it for a half mile. I made it further than I expected. I did figure out that if I run with shorter but quicker strides, it affected me less. Something for me to keep in mind. Tomorrow will be a rest day.

One thing I love about evening runs is getting home with a bunch of calories to eat. Tonight I came home with 1600 calories to go (not counting my 500 cal deficit) so I filled up on an omelet of 4 eggs, a large packet of salmon, goat cheese, half an onion, and smothered in sriracha sauce. It looked like hell, but it was mighty tasty. Washed that all down with a couple of IPA's. I just hope my wife will let me sleep in our bed tonight with my bad breath.