August 2015 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    I continue to stretch and rest my shins. I feel envious reading of everyone's runs! Still, I'm holding off for a few more days, at least.

Could lack of cushioning in my shoes be an issue? I have been running in Saucony Triumph ISOs, but I have a pair of ASICS Gel-Venture (trail) shoes that I bought just to have a pair of shoes to walk around in. They're less than six weeks old, and I notice they feel a bit bouncier than the Sauconys. Perhaps I should try running in those?

What are some good, shock-absorbing shoes for running (mostly) in the city?

You may need time to adapt. Run, stretch, rest, repeat. You may want to look and make sure you are using good running form as well. Bad form puts weight and stress on muscle groups not designed to handle the shock of long distance running. As the advise people were giving @7lenny7 to see if a local running specialty store has running form clinics, you may want to look into it as well. I also have videos that i can post that talk about good running form.

If you have questions about shoes, I strongly advise going to a running specialty store and try different ones on after you been through a gait analysis by a professional. What works for one person may not work for another person.

I actually plan to go back to a running store to get fitted again once I get my orthotics back. However, when I got fitted before they put me in support shoes with my orthotics, and running in them really hurt my foot. I wasn't able to run or walk much for a couple weeks. In asking about more cushioned shoes, I was trying to gather information so I know what to ask to try on when I get to that point.

I had the Gel Keyano which is ASICS flagship cushion shoe. But other brands make them too.
    I got my Gel keyano 20's in December 2013 at Burlington Coat Factory in the Jersey Gardens Outlet store. Normally they run like $160-180. I got mine for $49.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    @ohhim - That sucks! I would recommend getting it checked out by a Dr. The big concern is bacterial infection, not so much anything that the dog needs shots for. Good luck on the Tri!
  • jtarmom
    jtarmom Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Goal: 40 miles

8/4 - 3.66 miles. Darn ITB bothered me around 3. I thought I was over this.
    8/6 - 4.33 miles. No ITB pain, but slowed WAY down. Cautiously optimistic :)

exercise.png[\img]
  • esorcel
    esorcel Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Aug. 4 - 2.5 miles
    Aug. 5 - 1.5 miles
    Aug. 7 - 3.0 miles

exercise.png
  • JimCrackinDandy
    JimCrackinDandy Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    @Ohhim Please give us an update on your dog bite. Praying for your Triathlon too!
    @JoRocka Did using Body Glide on your feet help? I can only imagine the theatrical run I would have if I perhaps would apply it to my feet!
    @murciaa Yes, getting back to running as a Mommy is something to thank the LORD for. I consider it like a mini- vacation each morning I get out and run in His creation.
    @Elise4270 So sorry you are very busy. We know you are most dedicated to your runs and our little group here.
    @sushan88 Planning to kick it up a notch next week not in distance per say, but with intensity---- I love upping the distance, but upping the intensity (speed) ugg that’s hard! Great goal, strive hard! Many blessings!
    @WhatMeRunning - Road Hokas, funny!
    @horserae You are surely running strong there my friend!
    @7lenny7 - Truly poetic! Running is not your only gift Sir.
    @karllundy - Thanks for making me feel great about running 12 the other day. I know you can make that distance in one run for sure. You're packing up the miles yourself this month. Just adding more distance, slowly, once a week to one of your runs, does the trick. I used Hal Higdon's plan. Not sure if everyone thinks he's got a great plan, but it works for me. The biggest things- inc speed slowly, rest on rest days, and walk if you need to.

4 miles today. Knees feel so much better.
    exercise.png
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    OK, I put a bunch of links up that talk about good running form, overstriding, cadence, drills you can do, and music that gets you to run at 180 steps per minute.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10228828/good-running-form-overstriding

• truelight_photo_craig
    Options
    Logged a 5k yesterday and today...

exercise.png
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options

8/3/15 - 10 miles
    8/4/15 - 5.34 miles
    8/5/15 - 4 miles
    8/6/15 - 4.1 miles (corrected from 4.0 yesterday - misrepresented!)
    8/7/15 - 5 miles

exercise.png

• estepicursor
    estepicursor Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    8/1 - 4
    8/3 - 3
    8/5 - 3
    8/7 - 3

Tried something new today--got up at 5:30am and got a 3 miler in before work. I generally don't run in the morning unless it's the weekend, but am leaving town right after work so it was the only way to squeeze a run in. Contrary to what I thought, running that early actually didn't kill me.

exercise.png

• Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    karllundy wrote: »
    @ohhim - That sucks! I would recommend getting it checked out by a Dr. The big concern is bacterial infection, not so much anything that the dog needs shots for. Good luck on the Tri!

Ok - got it checked out by an ER physician friend. Got a script for an oral antibiotic (amox). Unfortunately, by law the bite needed to be reported to animal control by the physician, likely resulting in both a 10 day quarantine (in home) for the dog, and an off-leash citation for the owner as the dog was 2 doors down from them/their home when it bit me (potentially leading to a court date if they don't plead). Just hoping it is just a small ordinance citation vs. misdemeanor for the dog owner - given the implications of that type of offense.

I'll keep it as sterile as possible for tomrrow's tri w. liquid bandage & bandage over top.
  • Stoshew71
    edited August 2015
    Options
    @stoshew71 - I hope everything is okay at home

Mostly vehicle issues. Jennifer had a small solo accident going up a curb and caused some damage to her car to include 2 flat tires on the driver side. I had to go and bail her out and stay with the car before it got towed to Pep Boys. I am thinking that Pep Boys overestimated the damage. Next time I will get it towed to a guy I feel more confident with.

• _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I actually plan to go back to a running store to get fitted again once I get my orthotics back. However, when I got fitted before they put me in support shoes with my orthotics, and running in them really hurt my foot. I wasn't able to run or walk much for a couple weeks. In asking about more cushioned shoes, I was trying to gather information so I know what to ask to try on when I get to that point.
    The runnersworld website has a shoe finder I kind of like, both an advisor form for suggesting shoes based on your milage/running habits/... ; and a search function where you can pick desired properties like how much cushioning/heel drop/... you want. If you want to look up the names of a few cushioned shoes, you could possibly find some by playing around with these searches.
  • spangolin
    spangolin Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    4 more today
    exercise.png
  • Drewlssix
    Drewlssix Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    My wife signed me up for her corporate 10K and 2 mile run taking place on 9/13. That's going to be interesting to say the least
  • tazography
    tazography Posts: 9 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I'm joining this!! A little late but I've already done a little bit so i've logged it =D

exercise.png
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    @stoshew71 - I hope everything is okay at home

Mostly vehicle issues. Jennifer had a small solo accident going up a curb and caused some damage to her car to include 2 flat tires on the driver side. I had to go and bail her out and stay with the car before it got towed to Pep Boys. I am thinking that Pep Boys overestimated the damage. Next time I will get it towed to a guy I feel more confident with.

@stoshew71 Glad it was nothing more. There an auto center on post - I'd have to find their info, if you every need someone, he is great. Very reasonable and does awesome work.
    8/1 - 4
    8/3 - 3
    8/5 - 3
    8/7 - 3

Tried something new today--got up at 5:30am and got a 3 miler in before work. I generally don't run in the morning unless it's the weekend, but am leaving town right after work so it was the only way to squeeze a run in. Contrary to what I thought, running that early actually didn't kill me.

exercise.png

@estepicursor Hysterical! so glad you survived.

• CancerSurvivor2014
    CancerSurvivor2014 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    MFP August 2015 running challenge:
    The miles are getting harder to come by now that I am spreading the cardio around instead of just running. Today I did slip a mile in via two 5 minute warm ups on the treadmill.

Goal:45 miles
    Completed: 15
    >>>>>>>>> 30 to go <<<<<<<<<<
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    1/8/15 - 3 miles
    3/8/15 - 1.5 miles
    4/8/15 - 1.5 miles
    6/8/15 - 1.5 miles
    7/8/15 - 2 miles

exercise.png
  • Angel_Grove_
    Angel_Grove_ Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Shooting for 45 miles. So far this week:

Monday 8/3: 3.41
    Wednesday 8/5: 4.14

Shooting for another 3.4 tonight or tomorrow morning.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

@estepicursor - Welcome to the "Dark Side"!