August 2015 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    For those of you that have kids or connections to a XC team there is an "I Believe" traing journal give away from Ro McGettigan and Lauren Fleshman. And a first place pep talk from the girls.. Looks like its geared to young girls.

I love my journal BTW- first one I've ever used.

http://us4.campaign-archive1.com/?u=db16be139d34cfd7ba20ea256&id=59c3fa138d&e=403a365be7
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    For those of you that have kids or connections to a XC team there is an "I Believe" traing journal give away from Ro McGettigan and Lauren Fleshman. And a first place pep talk from the girls.. Looks like its geared to young girls.

I love my journal BTW- first one I've ever used.

http://us4.campaign-archive1.com/?u=db16be139d34cfd7ba20ea256&id=59c3fa138d&e=403a365be7

Very cool I'm going to do this for our team. Thanks!
  • unrelentingminx
    unrelentingminx Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    A really hard run yesterday lunchtime. Hot, humid and heavy but got round the full 5km ☺
    exercise.png
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Drewlssix wrote: »
    My wife signed me up for her corporate 10K and 2 mile run taking place on 9/13. That's going to be interesting to say the least

best of luck to ya. :-)

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    @stoshew71 - I hope everything is okay at home

Mostly vehicle issues. Jennifer had a small solo accident going up a curb and caused some damage to her car to include 2 flat tires on the driver side. I had to go and bail her out and stay with the car before it got towed to Pep Boys. I am thinking that Pep Boys overestimated the damage. Next time I will get it towed to a guy I feel more confident with.

@stoshew71 Glad it was nothing more. There an auto center on post - I'd have to find their info, if you every need someone, he is great. Very reasonable and does awesome work.

Yeah, I am aware of the guy on post. I have a guy I now go to in Harvest off Old RR Bed Rd.
    Honestly I thought all it was gonna need was 2 new tires.
  • dennie24
    dennie24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    @Ohhim I'm sorry that you were bit. Good luck on your tri!

I did 2 miles on the rec center track on Wednesday and 2 miles outside today. I pushed myself just a little bit harder than I have been lately and I didn't get any grief from my leg. Next week I am going to start adding a mile a week and I am really looking forward to it. I must be crazy though because I changed my weight training program to get my lifts back up to where they were pre stress fracture and doing squats 3 times a week makes my legs fairly tired. Oh well, I am trying to go slow anyway.
    exercise.png
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    karllundy wrote: »
    8/1 - 5.82 mi
    8/2 - 4.05 mi
    8/3 - 4.35 mi of on-track speed work...tough!
    8/4 - Rest day; might sneak in a walk this evening though.
    8/5 - 2.0 mi on indoor track; 45 minutes of aerobics / cross-training with HM group.
    8/6 - 3.1 mi, beautiful morning in Central Iowa!
    8/7 - 4.25 mi, love that 70° and humid now seems pleasant!

@7lenny7 - I love running in the rain! Glad you enjoyed it!
    @traci9028 - I have a rescued greyhound, but have never actually run with him...he's a sprinter, I am not.
    @kristinegift - Not quite getting the mileage you are, but my routine 4-5 mile workouts would have been as long as I had ever run at this time last year. When you look at things that way, your regular runs seem like such an accomplishment...I love it!

Have a great weekend, all! I'm going to Galena, IL to celebrate my 20th anniversary with my wife. Gonna try to squeeze in a run or two.

Have fun in Galena! My parents went there for their 21st anniversary (I think...) a few years ago and had a great time!
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit late, but I'd like to join the challenge this month. I'm training for a trail run later in September so for this month I'm aiming for 350km (which is about 217 miles). As of today I'm at 71km/44 miles.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    aarar wrote: »
    I'm a bit late, but I'd like to join the challenge this month. I'm training for a trail run later in September so for this month I'm aiming for 350km (which is about 217 miles). As of today I'm at 71km/44 miles.

Welcome! That's some killer mileage! How far is the trail run you're training for?
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    aarar wrote: »

Welcome! That's some killer mileage! How far is the trail run you're training for?

Thanks!

It's 50 miles. Should be fun lol.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Skip got new New Balance spikes tonight and the guy who helped us works for New Balance and gave her some bling.

b1w3jzanrtj4.jpg
  • JimCrackinDandy
    JimCrackinDandy Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Welcome @aarar ! I admire you already! Many blessings to you this month!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    Options
    @traci9028 - Maybe your pup is part Vizsla, they are called velcro dogs because they need to be right with you, preferably touching you, all the time! Makes sleeping with one really interesting and annoying when it is so hot and why it is good that he is also crate trained!
    @7lenny7 - those runs where everything comes together are so awesome! I hope we get some rain that I can run in one of these days. They keep promising!!
    @karllundy - Happy Anniversary!
    @demoiselle2014 - you should ask the doctor who prescribed the orthotics what type of shoe you should use with them (stability, neutral, cushioning). With mine I only use neutral shoes - it just means only the orthotics make any type of correction, where the others may result in over-correction.
    @Stoshew71 - thanks for posting everything in one place. It is great to have for reference!
    @estepicursor - I love running in the morning! I love watching the sun rise and hearing all the birds wake up! I also feel like it is a great positive start to my day and gets me going. If I waited until the evening I would be tired and have all kinds of excuses not to go!
    @Ohhim - I am actually glad you got the bite checked out and while it is sad that the dog will be quarantined and the owner cited you don't know if it has happened before and maybe this will keep it from happening to someone else. As a dog owner (we have had many over the years) I would never allow my dogs to be in an uncontrolled position where they could hurt someone and if it happened I would be mortified!
    @Drewlssix - It will be fun! Just go out and enjoy it!
    @skippygirlsmom - wow that is quite some bling!

Got in a nice slow run this morning. My sides were really hurting from strength training last night. Hoping they feel better in the morning for my long run.
    Date.......Miles......Total
    08/01.....8.45.......8.45
    08/02.....0.00.......8.45 - rest
    08/03.....0.00.......8.45 - unplanned rest +Agility
    08/04.....5.11.....13.56 - +Strength training
    08/05.....4.18.....17.74
    08/06.....4.86.....22.60 - +Strength training
    08/07.....5.32.....27.92

exercise.png

• Nettiejb
    Nettiejb Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    So I set myself the target of 60 miles this month! So far this week, I have done
    02 Aug - 5.39miles
    03 Aug - 6.9 miles
    04 Aug - 4.45 miles
    05 Aug - 8.01 miles
    08 Aug - 5.46 miles
    Total - 30.2 miles

I think I may have to revise my target for the month. .gonna up it to 90 miles :smile:
    Happy running everyone :smile: xx xx xx xx
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Somtimes the weather has a really evil sense of humor. After more than a week of more than 30°C/90°F I actually set an alarm on a free Saturday, just to get a cooler run in this morning. Woke up to find that it cooled of to 20°C and started raining over night. It's nice that I got a colder run in, but I could have stayed in bed until nine or ten and still had the same nice running weather.

Now I'm a little undecided if I should set an alarm again for my long run tomorrow, or hope that the "nice rainy weather stays" for the entire weekend... ;)

8.8.15 - 9 km
    26.1 km of 111 km done
    exercise.png
  • demoiselle2014
    demoiselle2014 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    @shanaber The doctor told me to wear neutral running shoes with the orthotics. I checked that out right away after the stability shoes the running store sold me hurt my foot. She's concerned about overcorrection.

A running form lab would't be a bad idea.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    8.1.15.... 5.41 M... 52:30.
    8.2.15.....Rest
    8.3.15.... 1 HR Lift + 2 hrs dance
    8.4.15.... 3.19 M.... 28:10 Afternoon Hot Run + 2 hrs of dance
    8.5.15.... 4.18 M....39:06 Nice cool morning run- feeling stiff-
    8.5.15.... Pt And Chiro Rest otherwise
    8.6.26.... 3.05 M..... 27:59 super cool morning
    8.7.15..... PT and Chiro- Rest otherwise

8.8.15.... 6.30...1:01 MISERABLE- my left calf gave up around 2 miles. I think a combination of the vibrams (I am rotating in and out of them) and me trying to run "hills" on the over pass (best I could do this morning) and it just had enough- I'm genuininly surprised this wasn't slower- miserable run- I'm still trying to figure out how to save this week- this doesn't feel like it's going to heal in a day or two. crap. I actually full stopped- rubbed it out- gave myself a few minutes- then said- eff it if this was a race you'd be walking- so start walking. So I walked it off- then started air born suffling- it was awful.

Day was really pretty at 6- then I saw this really interesting rather large ant thing- about the size of a quarter maybe? when I stopped to rub out my calf.
    Photo%20Collage%20Maker_PkYtGq_zps6srudcyy.png

Finally resulting in this hot mess in the kitchen- my cat tries to help- unfortunately she's fat and excessively hairy- so it's doubly gross when you're sticky and wet. LOL
    20150808_072411_zpswmoqv0tq.jpg

22.13 of 75 miles for me. unhappy cramped calfmiserablejo is unhappy.

• sushan88
    sushan88 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Back at it today, also did a Body Pump class, oof - shaking afterwards. Anyway tomorrow is another rest day, then will try for 10-15 k a day again starting Monday!

exercise.png

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    1- 8.35 miles. walk
    2- 5.9
    3 rest
    4- 3.24
    5 rest
    6- 3.27
    7- busy, hot, lazy unplanned rest day
    8- 3.12 to make up for unplanned rest day.

23.89/70+

Crap hot. 102 with 108 heat index yesterday.. Think today's is 110.. Crap.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    1/8/15 - 3 miles
    3/8/15 - 1.5 miles
    4/8/15 - 1.5 miles
    6/8/15 - 1.5 miles
    7/8/15 - 2 miles
    8/8/15 - 3 miles

exercise.png