WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2105

Options

Replies

• GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,644 Member
    Options
    Joyce, thinking of you and Charlie….

Gilda – welcome – those sound like good goals, but if all are new to you, they would be more than I could keep up with…I have to do baby steps.

Gloworming – Awesome volunteer job!!!

Sharon – take care! Boaters in the way up there and down here drones are flying in the path of the fire air support – grrr!!!! People are not silly, they are self centered and irresponsible (I guess I have an opinion on this LOL)

Alison - I think that is a reasonable list if you spilt, but what do you need to stay together? At least it sounds like that is still on the table, that list should be made too… maybe some counseling? I agree with Mary, get some professional help on your side, do you have a realtor friend who could give you a guess-estimate? And Definitely get and keep copies of the money things, savings, checking, 401k, other investments…

Lisa – I’m with you plane issues are the worst, as everything is outside of your control, heck you couldn’t even leave the darn building…. But glad things are on the upswing!

Barbie – I’m jealous!!! Please stand outside and blow south so some of that rain comes to California!!!

Lillian – could you make a goal to do a few hours on the company books each month so there was not so much at one time? Congrats on getting it done!!

Penny – oh dear, I am sorry to hear that for your mom, but good for them to make that choice, you don’t need your Dad in trouble by trying to care for her if he can not.

Carol – I knew you worked at 2 churches, but what a combination between the 2 extremes, and the hours! Wow!! Great for you to get a beach fix!!

Terri – if you find shoes for DH what I have done is then gotten online to find another pair, often I can find the same thing for less.. But I always have to try on the first pair.

August Goals:
    Walk everyday –try to hit 180 miles, august 25 145 miles so far
    1 plank every day and log here – goal more then 19
    Log everyday –
    Eat mindfully-
    Weekly fun things –
    W1 – Visiting with niece Emily - a trip to SF
    W2 – BFF came for 2 days and a dinner party
    W3 – went to a banjo band concert – a first for me
    W4 – Dinner out with friends, hiked with my hiking group
    Kim from N. California
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,625 Member
    Options
    morning peeps -

mtowne - you can do this, keep at it, keep your chin up!!

jmkmomm- TIA? thinking of you and hope everything turns out ok

gildabf= welcome. where do you live.

lagopus - thanks! i don't count the donations until i actually have them. someone may say they will donate but i don't add that to my total until i GOT it in my hot little hands!

grandmallie - stay strong, we are with you. fanncy has the right idea. you can't trust what he tells you what you have in the 401k and what the houses r worth, you should get your own answers to ensure he isn't lowballing you.

i'm getting sick whaaaaaaaaaaa........... Kirby is hooking me up when I get home. i'm getting a headache, i'm sleepy. yesterday I DID NOT want to ride home. this was a great example of not wanting to workout (in a sense) but i did it anyway. I could have taken the train but I rode, I was tired.

type to ya later. today is free food day (our boss buys lunch last fri of each month.) taco day.

type to ya later.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,296 Member
    Options
    Becca - congratulations on the loss! You must get dressed up and do your singing. You can get amazing backing tracks and you could go and do a raunchy/funny gig at an old people's home. :D
    The lady who said it's too late - it's never too late! Well, maybe for Broadway, but you can have a lot of fun at a less elevated level. I used to have a small theatre company and put on a show I had written. It had a 3 week run. Also directed other performances in informal spaces like a park. Drama is great medicine for all ills and I used to teach performance skills and a form of "drama therapy" called "The Cop in the Head". :laugh: I also had a play on the BBC Radio.
    Other than that I had a long career writing children's books, including one popular in the school system in the US called "The Trouble With Herbert" Available on Amazon. I am Heather Eyles. I taught creative writing to adults at college and in private workshops before I retired. Recently I have taken up my pen again and I am writing my memoir of my early years. Earlier this year I resurrected an old unpublished novel that I was especially fond of and published it on Amazon. It's called WINDOWS.
    When I was younger, in order to have time for my writing, I taught English as a Foreign Language part time to bring in some dough. I much preferred teaching Creative Writing and ended up having a kind of salon at my house once a week of hand picked students. Some went on to publication. :bigsmile:

I have just finished baking an orange cake for my guests tomorrow. So we have soup, a cold collation with various salads, and the cake with creme fraiche. I don't know how hungry they will be as they will have been feasting for two days. They can take as much as they like of the cold choices. I spent a lot of the afternoon shopping for bits and pieces. :ohwell:
    It's really nice because they are my ex husband's friends from school days, but we have kept in touch and now I see much more of them than he does. :) They live in Cornwall, which is a very beautiful part of the country.

For dinner we have ragu (Bolgnaise sauce) on butternut squash. Sprinkle of Parmesan. Lots of home grown beans. :D

Love to all. Keep on trucking! :laugh:

Heather UK , who has been swearing at her ÷×++#= laptop today. Keeps freezing. :sad:

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Heather: Congratulations on the new baby coming. You're a lucky Grandma! :heart:

Newbies: welcome! I hope we see you regularly. :flowerforyou:

Penny: I'm sorry to hear that your mom's pain levels are too high to remain at home. It must be very hard for both her and your dad. I admire your ability to work as an editor. I dreamed of being a writer when I was young, but turned in other directions. I discovered that the solitude and focus it takes to write were not healthy for me. :cry: Your dinner sounds divine.:bigsmile:

Alison: My thoughts and prayers are with you. You deserve better treatment than you've been getting. I keep praying that Charlie will grab a clue and realize what a treasure you are. Your plans in the worst-case situation are excellent. I hope it doesn't come to that, but mostly hope to see you happy and appreciated. Mary has offered wise advice. :flowerforyou:

Lisa: You are no weenie; you are Wonder Woman. Delaying knee replacements is a good strategy if you can manage it. They apparently have a "useful lifespan" and may have to be redone after so many years. :huh: :noway: Your flight home sounds frustrating. What airline were you flying? I'll want to keep it in mind. :wink:

Carey: Tai Chi sounds lovely. There is a guy who teaches it at the Senior Center, but his classes conflict with yoga and I'm committed to keeping that up. It has been a miracle worker for me. :flowerforyou:

Margaret: You are wise to understand that your son has to own his own problems in order to heal and move into a better quality of life. We are also AAA fans It has been worth every penny we spend on it. :heart:

Carol: It sounds like you are beginning to feel better. Yay! :flowerforyou:

DJ: I keep a word document saved with my goals and signature at the bottom, so it is more or less stationary. I type my new message above my signature and copy/paste it into MFP. Once I'm satisfied with it and post, I close my word document without saving it. The goals and signature are still there the next time. :heart:
    Kim: I agree with your comments to Sharon about people interfering with firefighters. Their lives are at stake. They don't need anyone to make their jobs more difficult. :noway: :flowerforyou:

Heather: I agree with your comments that it is never too late while we are still alive. We each have different gifts to offer others and different things we wanted to accomplish when younger but didn't have the chance.. I volunteer on a citizens advisory committee in my town because that is what I have to offer. I take riding lessons because it is a lifelong passion and desire. It is never too late to do something you enjoy or something of value. :flowerforyou (Writing fiction is still on my to-do list but I'm not ready to get started.)

I'm off to run an errand for DH before yoga. Have a great day, everyone.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

August Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,147 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies! We had a great Anniversary and day at the fair. We walked over 10 miles. Thanks for all of the happy and humorous anniversary wishes! My DH has his Award presentation at work today. He is such a hard worker. I am so proud of him.

Heather you are so talented! Great advice to the ladies!

Pip - you take care of yourself!

Allison - even though I think it's important to be prepared I do agree with Kim that a list of what needs to be done to stay together and marriage counseling or seminars are an idea. My DH and I go to a marriage seminar every year. The Art of Marriage was a seminar we went to through church. We both enjoy going. There are also weekend getaways. I let my first husband have everything and didn't get a lawyer and didn't get any of his retirement even though I was a stay at home mom for 18 years then started teaching the last two. What little money I got out of the house he took me back to court to try to get back. We are here for you!

Have a great day everyone!

Mary from Minnesota
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Pip – Congrats on biking home when you wanted to take the train. You deserve a “kirby-break”. I hope his hook-up for your illness is a good one.

DJ – thanks for the laugh. I’ve done similar things before. It’s good to laugh at our mistakes (and the mistakes of others).

Heather – OMG you are amazing. That’s a huge resume of past performances and experiences. I’m impressed and envious.

Here is a joke from my Dad :

Outdoorsy Man?

During his physical, the doctor asked the patient about his daily activity level...

He described a typical day this way:

"Well, yesterday afternoon, I waded along the edge of a lake, drank eight beers, escaped from wild dogs in the heavy brush, jumped away from an aggressive rattlesnake, marched up and down several rocky hills, stood in a patch of poison ivy, crawled out of quicksand and took four leaks behind big trees."

Inspired by the story, the doctor said, "You must be one he11 of an outdoors man!"

"NAH," he replied, "I'm just a shi++y golfer."

Heard from DD recently. It seems she spent the night in the Hospital because she had a cough, and the X-ray showed a blood clot. The CT showed it is an enlarged lymph node, and they diagnosed her with an auto-immune disease, but don't know what it is. Doesn't really surprise me since her dad has psoriatic arthritis and I have rheumatoid arthritis. But I am under the impression that it means our immune systems are in overdrive, and she seems to always be sick (even though she wasn't as a child). Anyway . . . My trip to the bank yesterday brought me home empty handed. Pre-paid cards cost $5 to start, then $2 every time they are re-loaded, and $5 every 10 months of not being used, and $35 if lost or stolen. That does not sound like a good way for me to go. I also considered a debit card attached to my checking account that would get declined instead of sent to overdraft, but we both have to sign "live" on the same day, and since she lives in Minnesota, that is not an option. So, back to square 1, and thinking about options regarding a JCPenney card. However, when she is back to normal, I could also ask her for her checking account information, to just make direct deposits into her account each time she wants to buy an outfit. We'll see if that works!

Today we have cloudy and 73 degrees, but are forecasted to hit the 80's before the end of the weekend, and hopefully a little rain later tonight.

(P.S.) It's a darn good thing I am the only person at work who makes mistakes, because how would everybody sigh at themselves during their mistakes? Poof, magic wand makes all the 2-faces disappear.

Hugs for Everyone ! ! !

Terri in Milwaukee
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,073 Member
    Options
    Terri thanks for the laugh.
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Well here I am still in the hospital with DH. Things aren't going to well today. When I got here this morning, had missed the doctor and Charlie was able to just speak in just phrases like 'hm' and 'yeah' he did manage to get out he had another episodes during night. An MRI had already done and was normal. But Dr had orders a second one with contrast and one of spine. Don't know why one was ordered of spine. I called nurse in to see that Charlie was t really communicating. By this time I got out of him that he was being obstinate! So he was able to answer her all the questions nurses ask for a possible stroke patient. But he was still real vague. He told me the only way he was going to go through another MRI was for me to be with him in the room which they let me. But he had another episode while there. Now he drags his leg most of the time and can talk a little and then it leaves him. Michelle came in and he usually doesn't let her see him not doing well at all but he didn't talk much and was able to let her know that he couldn't say what he wanted. So he mainly remains silent. When he wakes up from a nap, only 3 hours of sleep last night, he is coherent so I got his menu filled out for next three meals. But I have no idea what is going on. I know it all looks like a stroke which scares the heenie jeebies out of me and our lifestyle. He is the one who does everything and right now he isn't able to do much instead of dragging along his leg.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,962 Member
    Options
    194904olsgis3xqe.gif I love Friday because it is the day I teach the beginner line dance class. I have loved music and dancing all my life but as a child and young adult that led me to playing the violin, flute, and guitar, and studying classical ballet. In my 40's I did Jazzercise for exercise. They were all fun, but none of them gave me the spark and satisfaction that I got from line dancing. I went to my first line dance class after retirement at age 58. I loved the feel of it from the start and in the more than 10 years since then have gone from confused newcomer to where I am now. I dance three days a week and sometimes four. I can read a step sheet and learn new dances easily. I have choreographed a few dances and now teach the Friday morning beginner class. I, too, believe that it's never too late to follow your passion.

2615366x6pa2o5rfd.gif
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,807 Member
    Options
    It's Friday and I am off the weekend, happy dance. We had a nice walk last evening and I impressed myself with walking the mile in 25 minutes. I know a lot of people can do it faster, but considering even a year ago I couldn't even walk that far, I feel good about it. I did sleep better last night so feel pretty good so far today.

Heather--Love the picture of DH and the DGC. Congrates on the new grandbaby, when is she due? You have done so many different things, I think I envey you. I have always been scared to try new things, but I have been pushing myself lately to try new things. Not worry so much about what others think.

pip--High five for reaching your goal!!

Mindy--One Day at a Time. Start small and work your way up.

Maryann--I work in an hospital, been here almost 29 years. I work in what they call the Main Administrative Control Center. Fancy name for answering phones, doctors answering service, codes and all alarms. We also dismiss all patients and make sure charts get to medical records. The hospital has a courier service, that picks up labs at offices, does the hospital bank runs, takes patients to nursing homes, and I run that. Somedays can be pretty busy and stressful.

Joyce--sending prayers and hugs. Keep us posted! Hope you get some answers soon.

Sharon--Sending hugs. I understand the moral at work, it is so bad in our dept I am afraid of more people walking out.

Allison--Sending hugs. You are standing up for yourself and make sure you get all you want.

Lisa--Glad you are home, sounds like an interesting trip home.

Been thinking about DeeDee. Anyone know what happened to her??

Well ladies I send prayers to each of you and love all of you. Take it One Day at a Time.
    Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND, NE
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Oops! I called Alison's DH Charlie by mistake. I know better and that his name is Tom. :embarassed: Apologies to both families. :flowerforyou:
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,296 Member
    Options
    Joyce - xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and more. <3

Heather UK
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,756 Member
    Options
    well came home to Tom packing to leave,
    left that note, and he misconstrued it all..
    Right now he is staying, he is in his office.. playing free cell.. I told him I cant read his mind and he needs to tell me how and what he is feeling, even if it is negative.. hopefully he took some of that in..
    It is gonna be a fun weekend, but I will keep busy, working tomorrow, then Sunday going to the winery and the to the outlet with the girls.. so that will be fun..
    Joyce~ keeping Charlie and you in my prayers and hoping things straighten out quickly xoxo
    17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Joyce- in my prayers. I will send some Irish luck to you
    17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    17761776 wrote: »
    Joyce- in my prayers. I will send some Irish luck to you

Gayle Gallagher Minneapolis
  • dgiddens2001
    dgiddens2001 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    just signed up to do a 60 fitness challenge at my gym....not concerned about how much weight I can lose, more concerned with losing inches and gaining upper body strength. i did 60 mintes on the treadmill today using the random hills setting, proud of myself for completing this.
  • pipcd34
    Options
    well came home to Tom packing to leave,
    left that note, and he misconstrued it all..
    Right now he is staying, he is in his office.. playing free cell.. I told him I cant read his mind and he needs to tell me how and what he is feeling, even if it is negative.. hopefully he took some of that in..
    It is gonna be a fun weekend, but I will keep busy, working tomorrow, then Sunday going to the winery and the to the outlet with the girls.. so that will be fun..
    Joyce~ keeping Charlie and you in my prayers and hoping things straighten out quickly xoxo

my heart is with you, stay strong. we are here for you.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,756 Member
    Options
    well off he went with his bag, said he might come back tonight,or not..
    it is in God's hands now..we shall see what happen's next