Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2105

Replies

• NO_Excuses_515
    NO_Excuses_515 Posts: 220 Member
    Good morning!

Perms - oh, the memories! I have naturally straight, fine hair and had many a home perm growing up. I know I have a picture buried in a cupboard somewhere. If I can remember to dig it out, I will post it here.

Terri - What a great honor for your son's HS Bowling team! It will be a memory you will all cherish. Hope you were able to stay away from those Frosted Flakes last night. I do have things in my kitchen that are supposed to be there for the rest of my family as well. In fact, there is a package of Oreos calling my name right now that I'm working hard to ignore. What if you start by just measuring out one serving of those Frosted Flakes and then logging it on those nights you just can't resist?

Becca - Congrats on the continued weight loss and the lower cholesterol! My daughter also has a Hawaiian dancer on her dashboard. I think hers is named Jasmine. She rides proudly on the dash of a 2003 Honda Civic.

DJ - Picture below is just for you.

lymsltmqwoof.jpg

Margaret/MN - Isn't that true that we all sometimes need a friend to pull us out of the boiling water. Praying for you and your son.

GloWorminWA - Congrats on the 2lb loss! And a total of 84 lbs is so awesome. Hope you have been taking before and after pictures.

I've been a little reluctant to announce this because my scale tends to bounce up and down, but I think I'm done bouncing up over that 200 mark. I'm officially in ONEderland! And I'm hoping to never visit TWOtown again.

Linda/IA
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    I just had a negative experience with Microsoft Word. It hung up and I had to delete the file In order to be able to make anything work. In the process, I lost all of the words of wisdom that were ready to go. GRRRRR! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Perhaps they weren't all that wise. I'm thinking fondly of Appleworks, but it is an expensive program that I'd prefer not to buy just now. :noway:

I'd like jeans advice. My Lees are fraying at the cuffs and need to be replaced. They're Lee Relaxed Fit jeans, and DH thinks they're too baggy in the b*tt. This is a unique experience in my life. My backside has become more compact. What jeans do you recommend? I don't want anything with a flamboyantly embroidered rear. :frown: :noway:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

August Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png[/u
  • mparker1216
    mparker1216 Posts: 66 Member
    What occupation do you all have?
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Happy Thursday ! ! !

Carol – Hugs ! I believe bipolar is a little different for every person, and it can be difficult to handle at times. I hope you are able to be a friend back to your friend if/when everything implodes. Hugs and prayers for him , too. Thanks for dumping some of your stress; we will add it to the pile. And it feels normal that you would be worried about sleeping arrangements while travelling.

Vicki – Popcorn Days? That sounds like an event my Dad and I would enjoy. Let us know all about it.

Becca – Loving everything about your mammogram appointment story. Love that you were encouraged to play the piano especially.

Katla – Hugs ! How sad that your mom spoke to you that way. My grandpa did that to us, but my parents did their best to fix it in the car on the way home. And, none of us were heavy as kids, always athletic.

Mary in MN
    – Hubba Hubba. Enjoy !

Janetr – Hugs for your childhood. So glad you are able to make your own present and future. Hugs and Prayers for your sister.

Barbie – Thanks for sharing so many pictures with us.

Margaret – I’m glad you got out of the boiling water. May God holler to your son, instead of whisper !

DJ – No Frosted Flakes !! Go Me ! Thanks SO much for the kicks and intervention.

Michele, Rori, Carol – Take lots of pictures, and have a wonderful time ! ! !

Kim – I love the Avo-Cobb-O salad at Red Robin. So many different flavors, grilled chicken makes it hearty and filling, dressing on the side so I can control it, and big enough that I usually have left-overs. DS and DH love the bottomless fries.

Joyce – what a traumatically funny story about the tree stumps. I hate that I am the “old lady” in the neighborhood, too. Hugs for both of you ! I have almost no hair anywhere except my head, but I used to wax my legs (when I was still limber enough to reach and pull). If anyone wants any of my hair next year when I get it cut off again, just let me know (I will mail it to Locks of Love).

Gloworm – Hugs ! You wouldn’t believe how many people with any type of mental health issues self-medicate with alcohol or other substances. My ex was the same way. (His mom actually said to me once “I can’t believe you made him quit drinking. He used to be so much more fun, and now you ruined him). I noticed symptoms in DD at age 4, but everyone on her Dad’s side of the family also has it, so they got angry at me for even mentioning that there could be a problem.

Linda – Congratulations on finding Onederland! I am envious, and keep hoping to see it soon. // However, just a little Frosted Flakes will never do; it must be on my don’t list. And I will continue to prepare for the weakness by having alternatives ready.

DH had to get on the scale at his appt. yesterday, and it freaked him out. He is not quite to the 4__ place, but frighteningly close. I guess we have both gained 50 pounds in the 15 years we have been married. Sad, but true.

Hugs for Everyone ! ! !

Terri in Milwaukee
  • miakoda40
    miakoda40 Posts: 467 Member
    Sigh. I have posted about struggles with eating food that makes me physically ill, yet I still eat it. I have been gaining and losing the same 3 lbs for the past 8 weeks. I am in a plateau and instead of digging in and dealing with it I am reverting back to old behaviors where I just want to say “It’s not working. Maybe I’ve lost all that I can. I’ll just give up.”

Once a month I attend a support group for folks who have had (or are thinking about getting) bariatric surgery. Tuesday evening was support group night. It just so happens the topic for this month was plateaus and how to deal with them. What good timing! I really needed that. My motivation is slowing seeping back into my conscious mind. As reinforcement for myself I would like to share the list of “Gotta Do Ems for Healthy Weight Management” I received. It’s written in a cute format of a discussion between a doctor and a post-op patient with the doctor making explanations and the patient saying how they plan to work the suggestions into their life. I won’t enter all of the discussions but the paragraph Made me think of this group and I wanted to share it with you.

I know it can be boring and lonely sometimes, which is why you need a good support system consisting of healthy people doing healthy things. I didn’t say they were doing things FOR you, because they can’t workout for you, and they can’t eat your vegetables for you – but they can join you on your walk and show you yummy ways to prepare your vegetables. You’ve GOTTA do certain things…but you don’t have to do them alone. Even if you have to do the physical work alone, you can always have that healthy support system encouraging you in the background. That’s why we always say: You can’t do it alone, and no one can do it for you! Here are the tried an true things you’ve GOTTA do to live fully and manage a healthy weight:

Make healthy food choices
    Maintain portion control
    Exercise regularly
    Drink water
    Eat breakfast
    Plan your meals and follow your plan
    Keep a food diary
    Keep an exercise diary
    Use a healthy support system
    Get individual and/or group therapy

If anyone is interested in seeing the full document, it was obtained from www.conniestapletonphd.com/wp-content/uploads/2013.08/GottaDoEms.pdf

Mia in MI

August goals:
    Continue to honestly log food every day
    Continue to meet PT one day a week for strength training
    Get at least one hour a week of aerobic exercise
    Stop Iced Tea overload. 16 oz. iced tea daily plus 48 oz. water

• mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Linda/IA....Way to go girl!!!
    Katla....now why wouldn't you want to show off that newly compacted butt with a gold star? You can cover it with a longish top but you'll know it's there and you earned it.
    Carol...take care of yourself, the housework can wait. Enjoy the peace and quiet.

I would respond to more but I can't remember. I send comfort for those who need it and congratulations to those who earned it.

I have a picture of myself at about 4 years old with a horrendous home perm. I knew I looked aweful. I blame Shirley Temple...our mothers all wanted us to have those awesome curls.

Preparing to go to the Cape to my friends' house for the weekend. I am joining 2 of my good friends and their husbands. One of the women said she was going to bring shrimp so I offered to cook them. I found a recipefor grilled shrimp scampi. Basically you marinade the shrimp, skewer them and put on the grill for a few minutes. 176 calories/serving. I found it on Allrecipes.com. I will bring fresh spinach so we can have a salad or I will sautee in olive oil and garlic. Can't wait to get to the beach!

Still 3 lbs. away from losing that Cancun weight. This weekend won't contribute to the loss but I'm not on a time table so it's all good.

Struggles with my family and trying to keep my anger and disappointment in check. It is affecting my sleep so I began taking melatonin this week, it seems to be helping.

Gotta get back to work
    Chris in MA
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,976 Member
    tired today I didnt go etheir to the gym, and didnt go for a formal walk. have only gotten and will probably only get 5,000 steps today.. think with the breeze and beautiful weather the pollen is kicking my butt..
    ahhh there is always tomorrow
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 17,035 Member
    no_excuses - welcome to the one der years!!!

mparker1216 - office job - more specifically, it's a note servicing place. we process payments btwn 2 individual parties, buyer and seller, we honor what is agreed upon on the promissory note. basically a glorified bookkeeper. we are NOT a collection agency. i'm in the customer service dept. so i take calls, do the verification of mortagages that come in and other poop.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,123 Member
    @mparker1216 , I am retired after teaching grades 1-4 in public school. Now, as part of the idle retired, I walk my dogs for three hours a day, go to three line dances classes each week, putter in my small yard, do a few things on the computer,go for walks with my friends, do weight training, and ride my recumbent exercise bike while watching TV and knitting.
    1461351h0otf8hco5.gif

@Katla49 , I have no suggestions for you.....I wear Lee relaxed fit jeans and love how they fit.....I've gone down one size through several sizes...I wear a larger size for dog walking and a smaller size for line dancing.

<3 Barbie
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    mparker1216 - I am a Medical Receptionist in a small clinic.

Katla - I like Lee jeans, but I'm not sure of the cut.
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    What occupation do you all have?

Upon graduating from college I worked in Mortgage Servicing for several years in Maryland, NYC and Connecticut. Upon the birth of our 2 children we decided I would stay at home and raise them which I did for 18 years in Connecticut, Florida and Indiana. When they both reached high school I went to work for 8 years in an elementary school across the street from the high school as an Intervention Instructional Assistant. As of 2 years ago I am a homemaker here in NE Ohio.

Cheri
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Good Thursday dear ladies. I have been up since 3am and last time I looked at the clock before I went to sleep it was just after midnight. Going to be a long day. I am working 6-5:30. Last evening we took the furbabies out to Hall county park to walk, I walked for an hour. Then when we get home DH's sister tells us they are moving out next month. I am glad they are getting their own place. Only thing is she got her way and her husband is quitting his job so they can move back to Fairbury. Not sure what he will do but she is happy. I am excited about getting our basement back and can fix it up for the grandkids to play and put my exercise bike down there to ride while the kids are playing.

Barbie--Love the pictures and looks like you were having lots of fun. Thanks for sharing.

Lisa--I agree with your DH about they will sink or swim and it is up to them.

Carol--Sending hugs and prayers.

Meg--Full moon is coming this weekend and it has started early. Work today has been on thing after another. We have had staff come in this morning and then deicde they have to leave, trying to get someone to cover is next to impossible. Glad I am off the weekend, just get thru today and tomorrow. This heat is terrible. Last couple nights when we have gone walking about 6-7 I am soaking wet with sweat by the time we come home. But we have been doing it. At lunch today DH said it will more then likely be rainning when we get off and I told him walking in the rain could be nice, so will have to see.

Teri--Sounds like a neat deal to help with the vets. Our CMA group goes to the vets home here in town and we do Bingo and movies. I enjoy just visiting with them and hearing their stories.

Becca--Congrates on the good report from your doctor.

Mary--I hope your evening was everything you hoped for and more.

Maragert--Sending prayers for DS and you, hugs also. God can do great things.

I got some tart cherry juice and how much are you to drink and how much before bed? I need to figure out how to get more sleep. Going to bed earlier and I just toss and turn or wake up even earlier.

Linda-IA--Congrates on being in onerland. I keep praying I get there soon.

Mia--thanks for sharing I really need that right now.
    Well it is time once again to get somethings done before time to go home. Good thing is I am caught up on posts. Welcome to all the new ladies. This is a great place for support and friendship. Looks like rain is coming so see if DH wants to walk in the rain. Have a great rest of the day.
    Blessings, Vicki GI NE
  • mparker1216
    With having these desk jobs we have to remember to get up and walk around every so often. I read something that talked about us becoming a nation of sitters. Instead of saying "I'm going to work" we'll have to say "I'm going to sit."
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,581 Member
    tired today I didnt go etheir to the gym, and didnt go for a formal walk. have only gotten and will probably only get 5,000 steps today.. think with the breeze and beautiful weather the pollen is kicking my butt..
    ahhh there is always tomorrow

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,581 Member
    275t8ghcris6.jpg
    DH with grands . DDIL is pregnant!<3
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 17,035 Member
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    HI! A quick hello,sciatica acting up,trying not to sit long
    HUGS jane
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Afternoon Ladies,

MicheleNC, I don’t mind not seeing you here for a day or two as long as I know it’s because you are having fun. Fun times are good for what ails us. You just have a ball. I absolutely love your Welcome sign!! That is so cool.

Katla, oh now I understand. It is just “Doctor DH” that is wanting to prescribe the Adderall. Lol I am glad you have things handled and are doing so much better. I think most of us are Space Cadets at our age. And what’s wrong with that? I love the hummers too and this year ours have been very sporadic in their visits.

Joyce, I’m sorry ya’ll had so much trouble moving the wood but did have to laugh picturing Charlie watch the neighbor move it with ease. Sometimes I think it is hard for us to realize how much muscle tone and strength we have lost as we age. Has he mentioned going to the gym? OMG, yes the MRI was a killer for me having to be so still for so long. I hope it’s not as bad on Michelle.

Gloria, a huge CONGRATS on being such a loser!! Fantastic. How long has it taken you to lose that 84 lbs.? Keep up the great work.

Mparker, welcome. You will find us a very supportive and informative group of ladies. Please tell us about yourself to help us get to know you. We also ask that you sign each post with the name you want to be called and a location, be it general or specific. Come often and join right in.

MNMargaret, prayers headed your way. (((((Hugs)))))

Linda, Party Time for Onederland!!!! Woo Hoo, Fantastic, Terrific, Way to Go!!! Yes, we never want to visit the 2’s again, ever, never, ever. Congratulations….smiley-happy110.gif

Katla, are you sure that you don’t want anything with a flamboyantly embroidered rear?? I mean if ya got it, flaunt it!!! I just get whatever fits best so never the same brand twice.

Teri, you will get to onederland. Just keep putting one step in front of the other. It’s not easy but so worth it. I think you can, I think you can, I know you can!!!

Mia, thanks for sharing the helpful tips on getting the job done. And thank goodness for this wonderful support system.

Chris, have fun at the beach. Good for you on cooking healthy!!! Go gurl.

Allison, feel better tomorrow and yes it’s a new day. ((((Hugs))))

Heather, I love the picture of DH and the grands!!! Such happy faces.

welcome.gif to any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

You will all be happy to know that Linda’s swift kick along with others of you, did get me up and exercising this morning. Hopefully tomorrow I will add a little to that and keep it up. Thanks ladies, for all that you do. A big congrats to all the victories and for the rest of us, Let’s Go, we can do this!!!!

I hope all of you have a healthy and happy day. rose.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • mparker1216
    Sorry. I'm learning how this works. My name is Maryann. Has anyone done the "couch to 5K" program? I'm just about finished doing it for the second time.
    Maryann
    Michigan
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 444 Member
    Permanents--having naturally wavy hair I never needed them. My whole childhood I had to endure my many aunts telling me how they wished They had my hair. I got pretty good at giving my mom perms. Then boom the mod sixties came along and I had to iron my hair to fit in. I remember trying to sleep with beer can rollers. Praise the Lord for Janis Ian and Janis Joplin is all I can say. Now I wish my elderly hair had a bit more curl.
    Maryann, I am a librarian. I took off 16 years to raise kids and I am not sure it did a lick of good. I could be retired by now, but no.
    Back down on the scale from the weekend binge. Can it go lower? Inquiring minds want to know!
    Betty WNY