Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2105

Replies

• janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited August 2015
    Terri - Doctors will definitely not treat you any longer if you do not follow their advice. I've had friends/family that the docs told them same thing with mammograms, PAP's whatever. It certainly is the doctors call. I guess they figure if you aren't going to follow their advice, you can go somewhere else. Glad you got a laugh out of the "face chat" story but I'm tellin ya it was downright scary. lol

DJ - you are exactly right, it is what it is. Some days I look in the mirror and think not too bad, other day I think wow what happened overnight? I'm good with it. I look a whole lot better than I did when I turned 64 at 125 lbs heavier, even with more wrinkles!! :)

Janetr OKC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 17,035 Member
    I got more $$ for my ride!! i'm sooo excited! need $75 to reach my goal!!
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Happy Wednesday! I had a good day off yesterday, got alot done and weigh in yesterday I was down 1.9 pound. Had good eating also. One day at a time. Walked the furbabies at the Hall County park last evening and went around another way and added 1\4 mile to our walk. I work the long shift 6-5:30 today and next two days. Off the weekend and looking forward to that. DGD, Paytn is coming to spend part of the weekend with us. Then Sunday we are going to popcorn days at North Loup. Our CMA group is riding in the parade.

Kim--I got tried just reading your schedule.

Becca--Congrates on the good doctors appointment.

Mindy--Looks good

DJ--Sending prayers for your friend. Nothing like scaring her and then making her waite.

Heather--Sure hope you feel better soon.

Janetr--Congrates on the moble home, hope you have lots of happy miles ahead. Love the picture of the puppy and kitty.

Margaet--Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed that and made me think.

pip--I feel the same way about asking people for money. Our CMA group has a once a year fund raiser the first Saturday in May. The money goes to send Bibles and transportaion to third world countries and around the world. I really believe in this and find it so hard to ask for money. What I have done the last couple years is write a letter and enclose a return stamped and address envelope and put in the date by which I need it back and leave the rest up to God.

Sharon--Hugs!

Meg--Congrates on your empty nest, enjoy.

Sylvia--Sounds like DGD is really proud of the cake and you.

Well I am caught up to end of page 63 and time to finish up and get ready to go home. Going for our walk soon as I get off work. We have found we have better luck if we do it before supper. Have a great rest of the day.
    Blessings, Vicki GI NE
  • janetr7476
    Meg - and others who inquired about the puppy pic and his cone, this was just a post I saw on FB and loved. Don't know what happened to poor puppy. :(

Janetr OKC
  • GreatLakeGirl
    GreatLakeGirl Posts: 11 Member
    Hello! I'm new to mfp and these message boards. I'd love some new friends! Please friend me if you would too. I'm over 50 and would love to lose about 20 lbs!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,123 Member
    edited August 2015
    smiley-happy032.gif Terri, there are a lot of foods that I don't keep in my house, because I found that I cannot eat them like normal people...it looks like those frosted flakes will have to be on your list.

smiley-happy032.gif Heather, my husband recently bought a tablet and on his first day after using it for awhile, it shut off and he couldn't get it to turn back on again. He did some searching on the Internet and finally found directions that had him holding down more than one button together for about 30 seconds and some other stuff and it turned on again....no one could have figured it out on their own.

smiley-happy032.gif Meg, I'll see the doctor next month about the results of my bone density scan. The appointment is already made and I'll share what she says.

smiley-happy032.gif Kim, as safe as I think my neighborhood is and as much walking as I've done in the dark, I wasn't able to convince my neighbor that it was safe so in the winter she walks later in the day. I agree that you have to do what you are comfortable with. One way I have made exercise more fun and interesting is to watch TV while exercising. When I ride my recumbent bike I knit and watch TV. When I walk the dogs, I listen to podcasts, music, or audio books. Sometimes when I walk, I'll do squats or stretches while the dog is sniffing something and standing in one place. Keep paying attention to what other people do and you'll find something that appeals to you.

smiley-happy032.gif Carol in NC, I hope you will continue to be gentle with yourself and not let the perfect be the enemy of the best. Even if your kids left a mess, don't clean up more than you have energy for. Many of the chores will wait.

smiley-happy032.gif I eat on a regular schedule and carry a back-up snack with me at all times in case my plans get interrupted.

2157045gp85zev8ri.gif Barbie
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    I have good news folks....So I had a message from my doctors office saying that my results from my blood tests were in. Last year my cholestrol was 231....a couple of years before that is was 237. So this morning it stated that I was 224, so I am going in the right direction! Its still kind of high but its nice to be proactive about that.
    At my TOPS meeting I weighed in at 233, so 2.50 lbs gone. I am really glad Im not in the 250's anymore. The 240's flew by, and I didnt even last long there:-) It was a good meeting with 30 weighing in, 23 lbs lost, and 18 lbs gained, so a positve 5 lbs in the blue.
    After the meeting I had my lunch with was GONNA be my own large tomato, but it was brown inside...oh darn. I had another one from the food bank, so I had a huge mega tomato sandwich piled on some romaine lettuce, and Dave's Killer bread. Light mayo here and there. It was AWESOME!!!

In the afternoon husband and I went to my mammogram appointment. So you know how I am.....so the lady tells me to put the open robe and be bare from the waist up. I ask her if I can just take off my shirt in the tech room. She says, no you have to put the robe thing on...*sigh* Then in the tech room she says to take my arm out of my right sleeve... I tell her flatly, "I am going to put this robe on the chair here". Don't make me have to wrestle this stupid open robe thingy, while you wrestle my boobs into the machine....What a waste of a garment. I know because I HAD to touch it, it will be washed...waste of water, MY time, and such...*another sigh*

The best part was that the pavillion where radiology dept was had an entry area with a baby grand piano in it. I went to the info lady and asked if I could please play it! She said of course and to please DO! So my husband sat back down and I played for 30 minutes. My music is a couple steps up from elevator music, kind of like music you would hear at a gallery opening. Very William Ackerman, Windham Hill ish. Anyway I was in my element, and its a great stress reliever!!! I left very happy.

Oh before the appointment a lady came up to us in the parking lot, asking how we liked the Chevy Spark we have. She has a white one. So we ooh'ed and aaah'ed about our cute cars, and I introduced her to Pearl...(my Hawaiian hula dancer on the dash board of my Spark). Anyway we kind of have a car clan going, and wave at each over when we pass by. There is only 6 cars that I know of around here that are Sparks.

I am proud of myself for finally getting my act together about my weight. The stress of my husbands liver issue isn't a valid reason anymore. It just doesn't apply now. I can put focus on me and its ok. I can put myself first and its ok. I can tell my family when I am stressed about this journey and they both understand. Its a breath of fresh air to be committed to something, and stick with it.

Thanks everyone for being your wonderful selves, and being part of my journey.
    ps. Oh the weight recorder lady that was rude last week by saying, 'I beat you", after I had weighed in....well she gained this week. You reap what you sow.....sooo there....
    Becca
    Oregonian
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Heather: My mom was also a person who sabotaged self-esteem. She would pat me on the rear-end and say, "Fat fanny," or "Pat fanny." Sometimes it was one right after the other. She thought it was funny & I thought I had a hopelessly big rear end. :cry: The very same rear end is smaller right now than it has ever been in proportion to the rest of me. I consider the improvement a victory of effort & MFP over expectations. :bigsmile:

Sylvia: What is the Ashley Madison list? :huh:

Pip: I'm learning that I can do things I thought were out of reach forever. You are right about that. However, I pick my battles and I would have to train for a bazillion years before I was fit enough for the ride you'll be doing. I'll cheer for you from the cyber-sidelines. :star:

Terri: What an honor for your son's HS bowling team. Helping Veterans back to their cars after the Honor Flight is something he will remember forever. :flowerforyou:

Vicki: Congratulations on the loss! WTG! :flowerforyou:

Janet: Rosebuds and Hanging Baskets...:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

The guy came out to give us a bid on installing windows like our neighbor's. Yikes! I took the estimate over and had them look at it. We are having more done than they did & they thought it looked reasonably reasonable. At least they didn't think it was unreasonable. :ohwell: Have I mentioned that I HATE spending money? :noway:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

August Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Hello Ladies! For our 5th Anniversary ( wood )My DH woke me up with a card, wooden tongs and diamond earrings to replace the one That fell out of my ear last month. I gave him an antique coke pitcher and 6 glasses and tonight I have a wooden leaf hanging on a gold belt Adam and Eve style I will leave the rest to your imagination... We just checked into the hotel and the Desk clerk gave us a gift bag of goodies and bottled water and told us congratulations! Very thoughtful!

Have a great night everyone!

Mary from Minnesota
  • janetr7476
    Katla - my sister that was just 13 months older than me, and skinny, called me "fat man" most of our growing up years. MY mother never said anything to her about it. She got clarinet, piano and voice lessons, this rest of us got none. I begged to be in Girl Scouts when I was in grade school, but we couldn't afford it. I wonder about a lot of this as an adult, but it can't be changed so I try not to dwell there.

Janetr OKC
    17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Annr wrote: »
    I have good news folks....So I had a message from my doctors office saying that my results from my blood tests were in. Last year my cholestrol was 231....a couple of years before that is was 237. So this morning it stated that I was 224, so I am going in the right direction! Its still kind of high but its nice to be proactive about that.
    At my TOPS meeting I weighed in at 233, so 2.50 lbs gone. I am really glad Im not in the 250's anymore. The 240's flew by, and I didnt even last long there:-) It was a good meeting with 30 weighing in, 23 lbs lost, and 18 lbs gained, so a positve 5 lbs in the blue.
    After the meeting I had my lunch with was GONNA be my own large tomato, but it was brown inside...oh darn. I had another one from the food bank, so I had a huge mega tomato sandwich piled on some romaine lettuce, and Dave's Killer bread. Light mayo here and there. It was AWESOME!!!

In the afternoon husband and I went to my mammogram appointment. So you know how I am.....so the lady tells me to put the open robe and be bare from the waist up. I ask her if I can just take off my shirt in the tech room. She says, no you have to put the robe thing on...*sigh* Then in the tech room she says to take my arm out of my right sleeve... I tell her flatly, "I am going to put this robe on the chair here". Don't make me have to wrestle this stupid open robe thingy, while you wrestle my boobs into the machine....What a waste of a garment. I know because I HAD to touch it, it will be washed...waste of water, MY time, and such...*another sigh*

The best part was that the pavillion where radiology dept was had an entry area with a baby grand piano in it. I went to the info lady and asked if I could please play it! She said of course and to please DO! So my husband sat back down and I played for 30 minutes. My music is a couple steps up from elevator music, kind of like music you would hear at a gallery opening. Very William Ackerman, Windham Hill ish. Anyway I was in my element, and its a great stress reliever!!! I left very happy.

Oh before the appointment a lady came up to us in the parking lot, asking how we liked the Chevy Spark we have. She has a white one. So we ooh'ed and aaah'ed about our cute cars, and I introduced her to Pearl...(my Hawaiian hula dancer on the dash board of my Spark). Anyway we kind of have a car clan going, and wave at each over when we pass by. There is only 6 cars that I know of around here that are Sparks.

I am proud of myself for finally getting my act together about my weight. The stress of my husbands liver issue isn't a valid reason anymore. It just doesn't apply now. I can put focus on me and its ok. I can put myself first and its ok. I can tell my family when I am stressed about this journey and they both understand. Its a breath of fresh air to be committed to something, and stick with it.

Thanks everyone for being your wonderful selves, and being part of my journey.
    ps. Oh the weight recorder lady that was rude last week by saying, 'I beat you", after I had weighed in....well she gained this week. You reap what you sow.....sooo there....
    Becca
    Oregonian

You have grown since I started, wonderful!!!!!! I agree with the robe, why?? We all have the same, different size but same. I'm so proud of you, keep it up!!! Gayle Minneapolis
    17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    Hello Ladies! For our 5th Anniversary ( wood )My DH woke me up with a card, wooden tongs and diamond earrings to replace the one That fell out of my ear last month. I gave him an antique coke pitcher and 6 glasses and tonight I have a wooden leaf hanging on a gold belt Adam and Eve style I will leave the rest to your imagination... We just checked into the hotel and the Desk clerk gave us a gift bag of goodies and bottled water and told us congratulations! Very thoughtful!

Have a great night everyone!

Mary from Minnesota
    You go girl!!! I was going to ask what type of food you like? Do you have a favorite in Mpls? I think this can wait, have fun!! Gayle Minneapolis
  • barbiecat
    v7z38wc90hbo.jpg

Here I am on the first day of school in San Juan, Puerto Rico where my parents enrolled me in Catholic school because I was too young to get into first grade in the school on the military base. The curls in my hair are a permanent done on a machine that had curlers hanging down to have hair wrapped around them and you had to sit with your head attached to the machine for a lot longer than a five year old wanted to sit.
  • barbiecat
    bubbex2 wrote: »
    I am new here.....I just wanted to post on this board since everyone elsewhere is so young!
    I am 68. I weigh 126.5 trying to get down to 115. I couldn't figure out why I wasn't losing until my dr. pointed out I was eating mostly carbs. I'm now on a low carb diet and I've lost 3 lbs. in a little over a week. I also do weight and interval training.
    I have been widowed for four years and am in a wonderful long term relationship.
    I'd be glad to chat with anyone.

You have come to the right place. This is a very supportive group that talks about the real things that go on with women over 50. You must be shorter than I am, because when I got down to 115 my doctor had a fit and told me to gain weight.
  • pipcd34
    stats for the day:
    ride hm 2 gym- 10.28min, 16.8amph, 2.9mi = 126c
    spin- 40min, 88ar, 106aw, 10-13g, 17.5mi = 347c
    ride gym 2 wk- 54min, 12.6amph, 11.3mi = 508c
    ride dome 2 hm- 15.40min, 9.7amph, 2.5mi =195c
    total cal 1176
  • pipcd34
    annr - CONGRATS on your success!!
    katla - i will take those cyber space cheers!
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening Ladies,

Heather, bummer about breaking your glass items. Bummer also about the pharmacist being at lunch. Isn’t that the way it often is? Crossing my fingers for your charging tablet. Do you think the oven light is just burned out?

Linda, you are so right that I need a swift kick for not exercising more. The rest of you kickers just line up behind Linda.

Katla, you just sound like me as far as the interest in things goes. So why were you talking about a prescription for Adderall?? Laffin’ at your description of home perms. I had naturally curly hair, so none for me, but I could smell it for days after BF got one.

Sylvia, I’ll be interested to hear how your DGS likes gymnastics. LOL on the Ashley Madison site.

Meg, congrats on your loss!!! Who cares how you did it, just keep it up. Lol

Terri, that is great to get to help the Vets back to their cars after the Honor Flight.

Heather, have a marvelous time in London. I’m glad you always have your emergency snack with you. ((Hugs))

Janetr, the think you have to remember is that you look fantastic! No matter what you see on a given day, just remember that.

Pip, way to go on your donations!!! You are the bomb.

Vicki, way to go on your loss!!! Wooo Hoooo

Janetellen2015, welcome. This is a great place for support and information. Please tell us a bit about yourself to help us get to know you. We also ask that you sign each post with the name you want to be called along with a location, general or specific.

Katla, a big congrats on the smaller fanny!!! That has to make you feel great. I’m with you on hating to spend money on some things. Unfortunately some things are worth it.

Mary, sounds like a great Anniversary celebration. Careful with that wooden leaf. Lol

Barbie, what a precious picture!!! Weren’t you the little cutie.

I didn't do too much today. It rained somewhat hard much of the day which just made it a lazy day. I think we got around 4". Tomorrow I'm having lunch with a friend and may do a little shopping. I might try to do a little more exercise than I've been doing lately, which is some push ups and a few planks.

I hope all of you have a good night and a healthy and happy day. rose.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    I took my nighttime medicine after cutting up a mango and mixing it into a greek yogurt and posting it in my food diary. So if I get up in the middle of the night I will NOT have Frosted flakes ! ! !
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited August 2015
    Linda the story about the carrot, egg, and coffee was a timely story for me. To add to this story someone once told me about a how frog has enough sense to not go into a boiling pot of water. However if it is put in a pot of water and the water is heated to boiling it does not realize it needs to jump out. This is where the friends of the frog pull it out before it is too late. The water here this week was boiling. Thank all of you for being my friend and helping me find my way out.

I did not go into what made it so difficult here because I did not have the energy to do that. Still don't. I find it is better for me to concentrate on other things. Part of my way of finding the way out of the boiling pot without turning to food as the answer.

If you could please send prayers to my son. God is talking to him. He is having trouble hearing him. May his ears open, so he will start to heal. Amen.

:heart: MNMargaret