Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2105

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited August 2015
    Joyce: I am so sorry you and Charlie have been put at risk for meningitis. I hope and pray it passes you both by and neither of you actually gets it. You have enough to deal with already. Praying for you both. and also for your doctors, that they be smart and vigilant in Charlie's care. :heart:

Alison: Hugs. :heart: :flowerforyou:

Barbie: Feel better soon. Perhaps Jake could help you with a massage. :wink: :flowerforyou: :devil:

I picked Cherry tomatoes today and have two and a half trays of them in the food dehydrator. The dried cherry tomatoes are great in soups, Mexican dishes, and are so sweet they're almost like candy. I also have a bowl of fresh cherry tomatoes for snacking and salads. In addition to that, there are loads of them ripening on the vine. I blanched and froze beans today, too. I've been a busy girl. :bigsmile:

Prayers for all who need them.
    Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

August Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited August 2015
    Joyce - praying for you all. Seems when it rains it pours. We are all thinking of you and Charlie and sending love and positive thots. Take care of yourself too. (((Hugs)))

Barbie - thanks so much for the encouraging words, I'm definitely hanging in here. It's too important to me to give up now, I look at is as a matter of life or death. Take it easy and let your body recoup. Thanks for all you do for us :)

Heather - France sounds sounds to romantic to me. Maybe I read too many novels lol I would be excited too. You're an amazing lady and I'm so glad you are part of us. You bring so much to our group.

Kim You are so right about drinking more fluid and I truly do try to drink quite a bit everyday. I also take Lasix everyday. I was hoping losing 125# and exercising more would help with the fluid retention so I'm a bit bummed out about it. Its not AS BAD as it used to be but still more so than I had hoped. Guess that's life.

DJ - Wish we had Costco here. I loved them when I lived in Southern California. Oklahoma won't allow them to move into the state cuz it's against the law to sell any kind of alcohol in a store that sells groceries too. Go figure. Wish we would get some rain, maybe would help settle down some of this pollen that's giving my allergies fits.

Katla - The cherry tomatoes sound delightful. You certainly have been busy all right.

I'm off to bed shortly. We worked in the motor home again most of the day. I was putting clean linens, etc on the bed. We're going to go to a nearby lake for a few days this weeks just to get a feel for it before heading out the following week for a 10-12 day trip to Southwest MO and a few days at Branson on the way home. Another long hot day. I went shopping for a couple of particular things for the motor home so ran to several stores in and out of the hot car. My feet and ankles are really swollen again tonight and I'm worn out. Good night my friends.

Janetr OKC
  • dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    Made it to pg. 69. I'm going to have to become a speed reader to keep up.

Terri- I bet that felt good to pay it forward. Sometimes we just need a little support. I'm sorry that you are suffering with your RA

Kim - We do share an opinion. Idiots and fire fighting do not mix.

I am getting asked at work if I am leaving soon. I would love that but haven't talked about.
    None of the people involved in the incident are at work today. I spent an hour blowing up balloons.

Cornfest - visited in beer gardens with my cousin Maureen, walked the midway and then got Taber corn. Listened to local talent. It was hard being there with Joan instead of Lynn. I hope it wasn't too obvious.

Good night ladies

- Sharon in Lethbridge.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,976 Member
    morning ladies~
    Joyce~ I am sending love and hugs to both you and Charlie, here is hoping they figure out what is going on and get it rectified quickly,, and please pace yourself and dont overdue.. keeping you both in my prayers xoxox
    well we are off in a bit to see DFIL and then I have to come home and hop in the shower to go to the get together with the girls today,,, a much needed day...
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Allie - glad you're having a much needed time with the girls. We worry about you--and every sign that you're taking care of yourself makes us all glad.

Joyce - holding you and Charlie in my thoughts, and hoping you get the rest you need. Remember, too, to take care of yourself, even when it seems impossible. From my flight attendant days, "Put your own oxygen mask on first, before assisting others," always struck me as good advice for a lot of situations. Let the techs do the heavy lifting... you need your strength.

Back on the ranch, gained five pounds over the time gone, much of which is water, I'm hoping. Either way, back to running this morning, and routine tomorrow.

I think I mentioned I went ahead and put a bid in for the permanent position that I'm now working as a consultant. The DH and I fed the general manager dinner Friday night after we got home, and something he said made me believe they won't be accepting my bid. Did I mention the GM had surgery on his elbow while we were gone, and he lives here while his wife lives in Amarillo? So here he is in a sling, about to eat mac & cheese for dinner--we tolled him over with promises of baked chicken and mashed potatoes.... :smiley: since he was spending the night at the ranch anyway.

At any rate, the operations manager that my DH replaced ended up divorced because his wife worked here at the ranch with him, and they were together 24-7, basically. She left him six months before we ever arrived here, but the owners felt bad about the situation, and somewhat at fault. Now they're worried that me being in town at all hours for a permanent working situation would be hard on OUR marriage, because we actually do like being together more than most.

I could have told him that a) the last ops manager was an *kitten*, which is why his wife actually left him and part of why they ended up firing him, and b) it's incredibly patronizing to assume we can't deal with a few hours apart each day. But, in the end, I actually appreciate the fact that they hold both of us, particularly my DH, in high regard and want to help make sure we're OK. Family is really important to them, and this is one more expression of that.

And, restaurant management actually isn't how I want to spend the rest of my working days. It's tempting--the regular paychecks, all of it. But... I miss writing, and I want to get back to it, and we'll do OK financially without me working.

So... the GM and I are interviewing a gal with convenience store management experience on Tuesday. His suggestion is, if we like her, we put her in as a second crew chief and let her and the current one slug it out for the position of Assistant Manager. Should be interesting, any way it happens. Then we move them both up into Manager/Assistant Manager as I depart, leaving behind an operation that can and will be turnkey by that point.

Life is never boring.
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Good morning. It's been a rough night. I promised hubby that if I didn't feel better this morning I would go to the hospital. I was up vomiting most of the night and the belly pain is no better, and I have a little bit of fever, so I guess I have to go. I hate the thought of having a tube up my nose to drain my stomach. That was not fun last time.

But I lost 4 pounds yesterday. Yea me! Sure, it's not real, but it was fun to see on the scale.

Sorry I'm not more chatty. More later.

Sylvia
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,123 Member
    <3 Hi Joyce, I'm thinking of you and Charlie and wishing the best to both of you.....as everyone has said, take care of yourself and let the medical professionals take care of Charlie

:) Katla, I like your suggestion of asking Jake for a massage. :)

:) the rain continues and the dogs and I are headed out to enjoy it , one dog at a time.1056287i3zmwzup2m.gif Barbie
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,976 Member
    well i will be leaving in a few minutes..hoping to have a wonderful day with the girls... and i have decided to kill tom with kindness and make him feel more guilty than he already does..going to the outlets afterwards, really need new sneakers and they have a nike outlet down there ,but i am holding out to see if i can get some shoes from brooks
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,581 Member
    Lisa - glad things are calming down a bit. You've got the warehouse to get up and running - that should keep you busy! >:)

Joyce - still with you. Breathe. <3

Sylvia - hope the hospital can sort you out soon. No fun. :'(:s

Our guests have just left. It went well. Today I did a good rowing session and then the wife and I went for a walk round the lanes. :) Cooked a tasty lunch, of which I had a mini portion. o:) I was under calories yesterday. Strangely enough I find it easier to stay on track when I am busy and cooking for others than when I am alone and depressed. Then I can't stay out of the fridge. :/
    They were very, very late arriving yesterday, which I had mentally prepared for and organised my meal around. We ate before them and had a nibble with them to keep them company. They are not the sort of people who mind.

Hoping for downtime this week. I haven't yet been over to the rental to see what it looks like. :* Tuesday I have yoga and W I and Wednesday my friend wants me to visit her in Portsmouth. I think I will go. Thursday DH has international cricket with guests and I am the chauffeur. Not having to cater though, thank goodness. Also Tuesday the painter is coming ovsr for an estimate. :sad: Must get some writing in.

Love Heather UK
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Oh Sylvia, you can't get sick again. So, so sorry.

Situation pretty well unchanged this morning. His temp was back up last night but came down oK. But I think it's back up again. He is weak enough, the nursing staff now is going to take responsibility to get him up for anything. I was all prepared to tell them that I am just spent and can't do it. I will have to walk the distance of the hospital with him when he goes for his MRI. But he is back in his old rhythm. Atrial fibrillation. Nurse said it was probably from the strain of the temps. Body shaking to beat the band. I brought him one of my quilts to see if it would make him more comfortable. I also brought one for myself. If we are going to be here awhile, I want to be able to take a nap and be comfy. Time to see what 'he wants for breakfast'. I say that because he is still on a solid diet and not eating hardly anything so I order off his menu for me. I am doing this on the staff suggestion. 'He wanted a real nice chef salad last night.

Joyce
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member

Call me crazy but I love seeing other people happy and succeeding.

Good Morning My Friends,

Beth, thank goodness you were in your drive when the brake fluid drained out. I hope you enjoy your next two trips to Tenn. Try to make it fun and exciting for all. Some of us just didn't have an overly successful August as far as weight loss, but if nothing tragic happened in our lives, I count it among the good months. Looking to September, with you.

Joyce, my heart is with you and I hope you can feel my arms around you. I may not have the strongest back, but my shoulder is very strong and here for you. I can't imagine your position with different doctors giving different opinions. How stressful, as if the situation weren't stressful enough. Please take care of yourself and feel the love we are sending your way.

Katla, your tomatoes sound great. This is the first year in this house that we haven't grown tomatoes but the soil is so terrible that it just doesn't seem worth it. When I worked, there were always people bringing in home grown veggies to share and I miss that. :(

Janetr, do you take anything for your allergies? Before I got on these drops for mine, I took an Allegra every day. Now I just take it when I feel the need, which I hope will eventually be never. When you go on your 10-12 day trip, do you pre plan where you will stop? Like do you make reservations ahead of time? I don't know how it's done. I do know that Walmart will allow overnight parking and think that is great.

Allison, you have a fantastic day with the girls. You definately need to do more for you. (((Hugs)))

Lisa, it sounds like never a dull moment. When is your comsulting position supposed to end? Is there a date on it? You haven't had time to even have work statred on the warehouse yet, have you? I just wish I had your energy.

Heather, my gosh you stay busy. I think you are going to say that now you get to slow down and tak it easy, but I read all the things that are scheduled in the days ahead. You go girl.

I didn't exercise yesterday because I was so sore. This has been like starting from the beginning but I can do a bit more than then. So back at it today. When I look in the mirror I see such sad, flabby, loose skin but still better than being filled with Fat! I just hope if I exercise long enough some of it will slowly improve. Hello to those of you that are lurking in the shadows. Pop in and say hi once in a while. We care about all of you.

I hope you all have a happy and healthy day. <3

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.

Love,
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • janetr7476
    DJ - I take a Zyrtec daily per doctor recommendation. Last night before bed I took Benedryl instead. They don't really seem to do much but they do keep it from going into a sinus infection. I was having horrible sinus infections every few months before. On traveling arrangements, it depends where and what time of year we are going. If we go during busier times, we do make reservations. This time we made reservations for the nights we will be visiting Jack's mother, other than that we usually play it by ear. And Walmart is great when just getting from one point to another.

Janetr OKC
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    edited August 2015
    Good morning ladies! We just got home from Church. We will be working on the long todo list again today. We have been up on the porch roof taking off the tin roof and boxing in where the house roof meets then fastening it back down with 48 screws instead of the 1 or 2 they put in. Very shoddy workmanship. It is good that my DH knows how to do this. He grew up on a farm and has put many tin roofs on out buildings.

Allison - be kind and loving to Tom because you love him not to make him feel guilty. Men are not game players, unless it's football. You need to decide if you want to be a wife. That would involve love and respect and a lot of sex. Tom would also have to love you and show it in how he treats you. Have fun with the girls.

Sylvia- I am glad you are going to the hospital! I hope they will be able to help you feel better quickly!

DJ - lose skin bothers all people that have loss a large amount of weight. Look at the positive aspects of how much more you can do, how nice your clothes fit and how healthy you are becoming. A lot of the loss skin does get tighten through strength training and absorption. The option of surgery can be expensive but so is a car or anything else you want. I told my DH I would tighten my skin if needed he agreed. Talk to your DH.

Joyce- (((hugs))) keep us updated!

Have a great day everyone!

Mary from Minnesota
  • fanncy0626
    I just want to make a comment about sex. A lot of women stop having sex with their DH when they gain weight, or if they feel that their bodies don't look good, or use sex as a weapon or tool to manipulate their DH. Men if they love you don't care what your body looks like. They also have a sexual urge every day and even more than once a day! A healthy relationship would include sex. Men sometimes get cranky because of not being able to release tension through enjoying love and yes! having a healthy sexual relationship with the one person that they love the most.

Mary from Minnesota
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Janet OKC: Have a great time on your RV trip. It sounds like great fun. :bigsmile:

Alison: Enjoy your get-together with the girls. :flowerforyou:

Sylvia: What a horrible night! You are in my prayers. The hospital is generally no fun, but sometimes it is the very best place to be. :heart:

Heather: You are so busy! I hope you are able to relax as you go along and enjoy your week. :flowerforyou:

Joyce: Prayers for you and Charlie. :heart:

DJ: I have one cherry tomato plant, a Sweet 100, and it is huge! All the neighbors snack on the tomatoes with my blessing. I have more than I can use fresh, so I'm drying some. My garden area is about 6X8. It includes the tomato plant in a cage, and another tomato cage with pole beans growing on it. I also have some herbs in pots on my deck and three small blueberry bushes in flowerbeds. :flowerforyou:

Mary from MN: Wise advice today! Thank you for a healthy perspective. I hope you whittle down your todo list, and have fun in the bargain. :flowerforyou:

We had much welcomed rain yesterday and today is overcast. It feels like fall outside. I hope the areas still on fire get a good rain, too. Today is my DGS's first birthday. I called DD and asked for a facetime call today so that DH and I can see our grandson on his birthday.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

August Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,811 Member
    Joyce ... Continued prayers ... Don't let the spacey neurologist scare you ... New ideas are good! But you know Charlie best! Don't do anything that goes against your gut instinct!

Sylvia ... So sorry you're not feeling well ... Praying for a quick diagnosis and speedy relief!

Mary ... Love your advice!

Feeling bad for my younger son today. He got the job he applied for in a specialty grocery store which is a "yay!" But none of their uniforms fit him ... :(
    I purchased what I thought were really large pants and none of them fit either so he and his dad have gone shopping. Obviously the weight loss program I'm spending hundreds of dollars on us not working ... Or rather I should say he's not heeding any of their advice. Of course, since I'm up even more weight than before, I can empathize. So wish he had his dad's genes ... Sigh.. This is one of those things he's going to have to do for himself.

Beth in WNY
  • janetr7476
    Walking sticks Jack made us from pecan wood from the orchard.hfbpw6q9149u.jpg
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,225 Member
    Greetings! It’s a cool Sunday morning here and I’m not really feeling well, have a headache and “icky” stomach. Nothing terrible, just annoying. Hubby was exhausted from his first day at work and has to go back today for another 7 hours. I guess he really wants those jeep parts! We are splitting his checks; he gets every other one and I get the others for bills.

Joyce: still sending prayers for Charlie and hugs for you! Funny that the GI doc didn’t tell him to turn over to see if he could recognize him! Guess you have to keep your sense of humor. ..LATER meningitis…oh my. Are you on antibiotics? As a close contact, they should put you on them. Let the staff take care of him and you rest.

Becca: good for you to donate blood…so needed! Good for you to stand up to that woman with the dog.

Alison: keeping you in my thoughts!

Barbie: hooray for rain. Take care of that hip!

DJ: I’ve been watching the weather and am so glad you are out of the worst danger.

Beth: keeping all fingers crossed that your ds will do well in college despite the migraines! Glad he didn’t have an accident! Don’t worry or be ashamed about your weight loss…life happens and starting again is always in the cards

Sylvia: now I’m worried! Get to the hospital girlfriend!

Heather: I’m with you; it’s easier to stay on track when your day is filled

Mary sounds like you are busy and smart!

Katla: glad you got some rain!

OK I know this was short but I want to go lie down! I have tons of stuff to do today and think if I sort of rest between each one I can get them all done. Take care, Meg from chilly Omaha
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 17,035 Member
    morn peeps - no workout. feel like poop
  • fanncy0626
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    morn peeps - no workout. feel like poop

I hope you feel better soon! I know that after your ride and surgery all of this will be a faded memory! You can't keep a bada$$ like you down!

Mary from Minnesota