Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2105

Replies

• NO_Excuses_515
    NO_Excuses_515 Posts: 220 Member
    Only my second post on this community. I live the encouragement I see in these posts. I'm about 10 days into this app and fir the most part, I've been pretty honest about logging my calories :-) Today, I was looking forward to the end of a very long and productive week. I'm coming to the end of a month or two long cycle of mild depression. I've come to realize this had been going on, the cyckes, fit a few years now, I was just pushing through, at the expense of my health. When I heard about this app on a segment of Good Morning America, I knew it wound be a good tool. So today, when I came home and tried to convince myself to put off mowing my lawn, I thought about my health (physical and emotional ) and came home and mowed. I felt good physically and mentally, halt with the accomplishment. Then I was inspired to do some other housework before sitting diem to enjoy a healthy dinner. Then, I was once again having a debate in my mind about going out a late night walk. I thought about this community and got excited, thinking I could use the map it fitness app. As I started walking, some things that needed to be processed got resolved which felt good. I was enjoying the brisk pace and cool breeze. Then, I came upon 2 fawns, sitting so picturesque in a field. We all looked at each other as I walked by, simply acknowledging each others presence. By the time I came home, I had walked 4.2 miles and felt great. I did a little floor work and weights and I finished a load of laundry and am now relaxing, thankful that I had inspiration from this community. Have a wonderful weekend all.

Lori in Woodridge. Il

Way to go Lori! Not only have you found inspiration in this group but you are now providing motivation for others of us. :)

Linda/IA
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited August 2015
    dlm4mom Great job. I'm glad you were able to use that and to succeed with planning. That is what is so terrific about this group and has made it the tremendous success it is, because we each give something that someone else can take and use. They in turn give something to the next one that it struggling. It's truly wonderful. I have a poster hanging right above my computer screen that one of the ladies posted just a couple weeks after I started. I read it several times a day. Keep on planning, it will happen. :)

Janetr OKC
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Barbie - love the pic of the RV you sold. We have a large bumper pull trailer. My hubby is tired of having to hook up, level, unhook all that jazz and is looking at RV's. The one I just found and love is $250,000. More than we paid for our house lol We'd better go look at smaller or used RV's. Besides we don't want to be dragging a "city block" behind us. Your old one looks to have been a perfect size.

Janetr OKC
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    OK I have a problem. I did as someone said and wrote my answers on a WORD doc but when I paste it in the reply the font is too big and it's not formatted right. HELP!
  • dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    Here we go Pg. 55.
    Becca - Peppermint tea has always been my go to tea. Now it's on my NOGo List. I still grew a plant but only to make tea for others.

Beth- You worked out and then you the best medicine - Laughter.

Mindy - How was your first day at Whole Foods?

Heather - The dinner was a failure? You must have been upset because it sounds like that doesn't happen very often. Just reading posts makes my mouth water.

Lillian - I agree when you drive that far into B.C. 5 days is not enough. We now stay longer and stop more frequently or we fly.

Gayle - The $250.00 is as much as yours. You definitely can earn those wellness points. You've got this.

D.J. - I am old enough to remember hearing about "Peyton Place" but not sure if I ever saw the show.

Pip - The Airstream looks to be in great shape. Kirby's quilt looks very interesting. I love when things get repurposed and given a new life.

Carey- I have done the WII fit and the WII dance with DGC before. It might be time to revisit.

Barbie - Can you explain Isagenix? I've heard of it but don't really know the first thing about it.

I played hookie from work today. Well, not really, I had a blinding migraine and spent quite a bit of the day with the big white bowl. Finally started feeling better around 4 , showered and got in a walk.
    It was a different kind of day. No people or dogs at my house. Probably a good thing as I didn't want to see anyone or hear anything. Darkened room, cold cloth, socks on, quilt up to my neck and no noise.

My walk would have been more pleasant without the gentlemen (used loosely) haranguing me for money. I had none with me. I would have gone to the store and got them something as they said they were hungry and thirsty. Pretty sure they wouldn't have liked the store I would have picked.

DH is home from his trip to Saskatchewan. The man drove 18 hrs today. I do not consider that safe.
    He's home and everything is safe so that is good. Chico just goes crazy when he sees me. He has this frenetic little spin dance that he does for me then I am expected to be on the bed so he can come and give me his version of a hug.

Tomorrow I will be working on something on my very long list. I think I have to get back to following some kind of plan instead of just logging what I eat.

Best to you all
    -Sharon In L.A.(Lethbridge,Alberta)
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,578 Member
    edited August 2015
    Good morning!

Yes everyone, that meal was a disaster! Burnt potatoes and the toughest chicken breasts ever. It was organic, so I guess it had got tough running around! ! ! ! ! ! Last night we had herby sausages (I had two and have one left for lunch) with a great stir fry I do with onion, garlic, spring (pointy) cabbage, a touch of chilli flakes and halved cherry tomatoes. Season to taste. I use one tablespoon of oil for two people and then splashes of water. I did a HUGE mound in a wok so I was stuffed!

My lovely DH does sometimes annoy me when he brings home vegetables from the supermarket. :laugh: That may sound a bit weird to you ladies with sabotaging husbands, but I am struggling to pick and eat the stuff we have in the garden! At the moment we have a bean mountain and chard to eat, but he still fills the fridge with veg. He loves his green veggies. <3 It's a small thing, but it causes me a little flash of irritation that I don't need to feel. :embarassed:

Was very droopy this morning. After effects of a Nytol I think. Still did my exercises. o:) Feel so much better now! It is raining hard, which is when I feel extra grateful for our machines.

Tonight is Morrocan Chicken with Preserved Lemons. Yummo! Lots of broccoli and a few of the beans. Rice for DH.

Looks like the tube strike is going ahead next week so we won't be able to get up to London. :'(

Cheri - Wonderful photos!! Anyone else got any childhood ones they want to share? I love those old black and white ones.

Katla - your terrible fires are on our news. A tragedy for so many people and the environment. :'( I know you have been worried about the drought for a long time. So sorry.

Joyce - (((((HUGS)))))

Grits - sounds as if you were lucky with your fall. Hope you feel better soon. You must have strong bones and a very strong head! :flowerforyou: My friend tripped on the way to the bathroom in the night and broke her ankle. Last year she broke her hip. Let's all eat well, with lots of nutritious food, and keep up our strength and weight training to keep our bones healthy. Strong women stay young! Balance and core exercises are also a very good idea.

Love Heather in rainy Hampshire UK
    27681614.png
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,973 Member
    morning ladies~
    well have a bit of a tummy ache this morning, but im sure it will go away.. I did over 16.000 steps yesterday and think did something to my shin, so will not do a big walk today.. if feeling better later will might hit the gym and use the recumbent bike.
    still have to pull more staples today, and do some cooking.. we will be going out to see DFIL in a little bit.
  • mountan2011
    mountan2011 Posts: 3 Member
    Hi all, this is my first post! I have been on MFP for two weeks and loving it. It is so easy to use! My goals are to lose about 10 pounds in 3 months and reduce my body fat %.

I am reading "Younger next year" and really digging the message. This is the 2nd time I have read it but this time it hits home. I am semi retired so it is easier for me to exercise more than when I was working all the time. I do cardio 3 days a week (and get my heart rate up) and strength training 1-2 times per week. The strength training is the thing that has made most of my aches and pains go away, so if you aren't incorporating that into your week, give it a try! I turn 62 in a few months and hope to be in better shape than when I turned 40.

You all are an inspiration to get busy and start cleaning out all my junk. We have been here 22 years and accumulated a ton to stuff. The kids are grown and I have 2 grandsons and 1 granddaughter.

I enjoy reading all the great posts here. Thanks for starting this thread Barbie!

Anne in Michigan
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,578 Member
    WELCOME ANNE! :flowerforyou:

You are so right. I feel about 30 years younger now than I did when I started on here 3 years ago. I will be 66 in October. Wonderful to feel your body able to do the things you want it to do, even just everyday things like shopping.

Strength training is vital for those of us over 60. It literally can make the difference between life and death.

I'm sure you will lose that 10 lbs. Can go a bit slowly as you near goal though. My last few pounds took me a few months.

Best wishes, Heather UK
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,122 Member
    edited August 2015
    OK I have a problem. I did as someone said and wrote my answers on a WORD doc but when I paste it in the reply the font is too big and it's not formatted right. HELP!

The reply box won't use any special formatting that your Word document has.....experiment with it....write a response, copy and paste it and then preview it (there's a box at the bottom of the reply box that says "Preview") and then edit as needed and then click the box that says "Save Post"

You can also edit for up to an hour by pointing the cursor to the top right hand corner of your post and a wheel will appear--click the wheel and it will say "edit"

Everything I know I learned by experimentation and trial and error and asking questions.

• Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    Home sweet home!
    DamitJanit wrote: »
    Penny, where are you now? I can’t remember if you are back home or still in the states? Just remember a day of boring errands means we are still on the right side of the ground. Hang in there for a more exciting day.

DJ – I got home yesterday. Since you ask, I'll show you where I've been this summer.
    ctujloudfdp6.gif

So yeah, I'm waaaay north. And although I see what you're saying about more exciting days, it brings to mind the ancient Chinese curse: "May you live in interesting times." smiley-confused002.gif

Mary in MN smiley-sport017.gif – When I was out the other day doing those boring errands, I stopped by a well-stocked sporting goods store to look at their weights. They had an official olympic barbell bar. I think it weighs 45 lbs...? (That's 20 kg. Sounds reasonable.) I picked that sucker up and GEEZ it was heavy! Now I'm scared! I don't know if I could squat with that bar alone, much less with weights attached. smiley-scared001.gif
    Hold my hand and speak reassuringly, please!
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,968 Member
    Lost another pound. That's 9 1/2 since Jan 1. Woohoo!

Katiebug, AKA the Turtle, in NEGA
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,525 Member
    [quote="Katla49;33730591

Lillian: Thirty-eight years working at the same place is amazing. How long before you can retire? :huh:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“[/quote]

I could have retired at age 50 - with full pension. That would be 6 years ago. But what would I have done with myself besides get another job... so may as well stay were I am. Good salary, good benefits,...

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • mtowne002
    mtowne002 Posts: 152 Member
    Morning Ladies!
    Barbie. Thanks for the info on reply editing. I will experiment too.

Anne"..Welcome! I'm fairly new here too and loving it!

Sharon..too bad about your migraine! I only get them a few times a year but they are debilitating. Feel better.

My first day at Whole Foods was actually very informative. I had read an article in Forbes about the CEO John Mackey and the ideas in his book Conscious Capitalism. The first few paragraphs sum it up for the most part and are an inspiring read. Being a Biochemist I didn't think there was much for me to learn about the differences bw Organic and Conventional Food and GMO's. Especially he latter bc I was involved in some of the first experimentation w that at UNH working with corn genetics. But I have been out of the field for twenty years and I actually did learn some things. We also covered benefits which are outstanding and company policies. The whole nine hours was mostly sitting. Tha hard part I had was no coffee all day! Ugg! I'll work on cutting down this week before my cashier training days begin so I'm not so impacted. I have very sore shins from my adventure this weekend combined with a terrible stomach ache I didn't excersize yesterday..in fact I couldn't eat half of my calories and MFP a wouldn't let me complete my entry so it posts..stomach hurt all night afraid it's a flare up of my diverticulitis. If it keeps up I'll see the MD. Thanks everyone for asking about my first day. I carried all your encouragement with me when I went and I DID IT!
    Mindy from Boston
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,525 Member
    Good morning all..

DGD #1 's 2nd birthday party went very well for me... I didn't eat bad things. But there weren't a lot of bad things there to eat either.. DIL is on the Ideal Protein diet so she made sure there wasn't a lot of bad food choices to tempt her. there was sufficient food for everyone, it was good. But poor little DGD has Bronchitis... she catches anything going around.

AND I got to cuddle my newest little granddaughter. She is so tiny and so beautiful. Oh sorry peeps, I am not good at taking selfies unfortunately.... AND my little grandson was there too, what an awesome day!!

FROST last night... :( ...I covered my tomatoes and cucumbers and some of my flowers. I won't know how bad the frost was until the flowers start to "show" the frost effects. Maybe later today if it was really bad. I am hoping it wasn't a "Killing frost" it would be sad to see the flowers gone already and it isn't even Sept 1....

Okay - best get at it. I looked at my walking calendar and I am 45 miles short of my goal for the month. My goal for every month is 100 miles and I have made that goal for the 15 months... It would really hurt my ego and my waist line is I don't make my goal. So ...company books are going to have to take a break for an hour today while I get my walk in!! The scale is creeping up too and I can't have that either!!!

Later
    Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    I totally 'blew' my daily caloric intake last night at Olive Garden (even though we ate appetizers as our entrée and only ate 1/2 of it. I think it was the glass of wine that really put me over the top. I can't remember what it costs me; but, hopefully the exercise will make it a wash. LOL! Doubt it. Going to DYS's house next Saturday and I know that keeping below my caloric intake will be difficult if not impossible. The only exercise I will be able to do would be 'walking' on the dirt road. Not looking forward to that; it'll probably be as hot as Hades, too. Bringing a couple of library books with me because DH and DS will be doing things that I don't particularly like doing; but, I will go fishing with them and wear my bathing suit, sunglasses and hat. Tami doesn't work on Mondays so we'll probably do something together, either go out to eat, go fishing with the guys, or just mess around. Mallory will start school, I think the end of this week.

Yep, my head is hard, in more ways than one I think. DOS finally told his Dad that he really thinks his wife has some problems (mentally) . . . as if we could not see them already. I think she is Bipolar (extremely) she is up one moment and the almost belligerent the next. I've never known how to 'read' her because I don't know which one I will get. But, it will take her literally falling to pieces before she gets any help. That is sad because her family members are the one who suffer most. She doesn't see it. Please pray for us.

I've been skimming through all the posts and sometimes I just skip down to the last page and go from there. It's hard to keep up with reading them especially when you have 80 - 100+ to read.

Happy Sunday to all!
    Lenora
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,973 Member
    a quick hidee ho,
    went to see DFIL he was trying to beat up his friend at the dining table so in his room he went, had his tazadone early today...
    and went to Home Depot and am pulling staples, think I will take some tylenol arthritis as I am already sore, being down on the floor either kneeling or sitting is a killer..
    Mindy~ I would love to work at Whole Foods, I love that place. can't afford to shop there much, but love it..
    having a quick cup of tea and back at it
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Becca: No fire is near us, just the smoke from everywhere east of us. You're lucky if your skies are still clear. It looks a little like LA smog out there. :frown: There is a company in Bend, OR that restores old travel trailers and then sells them for $$$$$. They had a show on one of the cable channels last winter. :flowerforyou:

Pip: I love the t-shirt! I hope your air stays clean enough for you to ride and breathe at the same time. :heart:

terri_mom: I'm guessing Mr. Clueless actually loves you and just doesn't get it. :ohwell:

Ramona from Boston MA: My goals have been spilling over for a long while because they're working for me. I hope you'll become a regular. Welcome. :flowerforyou:

Michelle: You're more courageous than I am. I have never taken a class to get over fear. I have fears, especially of snakes, but most of my fears are social and I envy your ability in that area. I'm not a shy kid anymore, but I'm often clueless. :ohwell: :flowerforyou:

DJ & Terri: Perhaps you could suggest that your DH's trade the sweetie-treaties for diamonds, flowers, or gift cards for new clothes or cash when they want to let you know you're loved. :devil: :wink:

Gloworm in WA: I do all my writing in a word document, and then copy and paste it into here, and THEN I have to make adjustments to get it the way I want it. My best advice is to play with it a bit. Good luck! :flowerforyou:

Sharon in Lethbridge: I am so sorry about your migraine. I hope you're feeling better. :flowerforyou:

Heather: Luckily the fires aren't local, but the smoke is here anyway. The landscape of the Pacific NW and Canada will surely show their effects for years to come. I keep telling myself that this is a natural process. There have been droughts and fires before that have brought seeds of renewal with them. The renewal takes a long time, though. :cry:

Lillian: Congratulations on having a job that you enjoy enough to keep, even when you could retire. That is a rare and wonderful blessing. :heart: Frost already? I hope you still have a lovely time ahead before winter socks in. :flowerforyou:

I have nothing on my todo list this morning and am trying to think of something fun for the day. DH is impacted by the lousy air quality more than I am, but I plan to see if I can talk him into going to Sunday Market in Astoria. That would be fun, especially if the air is better there than here.

Our neighbors are leaving on a cruise to Alaska today. They'll drive from here up to Washington to meet the cruise liner. They've done this trip before and loved it. The ship will go outside on the Pacific rather than up the inside passage. We're hoping to take a ferry trip up the inside passage next summer. Friends from here are moving to Alaska now, and taking the same ferry to get to their new home. It is on an island in SW Alaska, and that is as much detail as I know other than the ferry stops there.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

August Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Morning Ladies,

Mary, I hope you and your friends had a great time at the surprise party.

Dim4mom, congrats on your 10K steps.

Barbie, way cool RV. I can see why people like them but I’m so lazy that I’ll stick to hotels. Lol I used to work beside an ocean front RV park and would watch people setting up or packing up and could see how much work was involved. They sure are nice these days.

Bwcetc and Linda, when my DD went off to college I was shocked at how it hit me. She had always been independent and gone to visit Grandparents alone and to summer camp, etc. But when she went off to college, just 2 hours away, I felt like I was in morning! OMG. Luckily it didn’t last too long and I learned to enjoy my new found freedom. LOL Linda, I love your Roots and Wings analogy.

Gloworm, I don’t seem to have that problem, but I use Calibri (Body) font size 11 when typing my word doc. On my android laptop I just use notepad and don’t have any trouble with it either. Good luck.

Sharon, so sorry about your migraine! Glad it got better. Yes, I don’t consider driving 18 hours very safe either, and especially at our age. Might have been okay at 25 or 30. It sounds like Chico was very happy to see you. That put a smile on my face.

Heather, your dinner last night sounds yummy, yummy! About your DH bringing home veggies, I understand how you feel but as they would say around here, “Get Over It”. Like you said, there are way worse things he could be doing. LOL I think we (definitely Me) need to concentrate on the great qualities our DHs have and try not to make a big deal out of their little faults. *Just thinking on the keyboard* Thanks for the good reminder on our balance and core exercises. Even though we might feel like a million bucks, “At Our Age” we do need to be careful with our health and wellness.

Allison, how in the world did you get in 16,000 steps yesterday when you were on the floor with your needle nose plyers? Way to go. Watch out, Barbie, you have someone on your heels. loopy.gif

Anne, welcome. As you see, this is a very supportive group of ladies and they also share lots of great information. You should have no problem reaching your goal and good for you in not waiting until you had a ton of weight to lose, like many of us did. no.gif Come often and join right in.

Penny, glad you made it home safely. Thanks for the map! It really helps people like me that are geographically challenged. I’m not a weight lifter but I think you can start lower than an Olympic barbell bar. Remember: Baby Steps!! showoff.gif

DrKatie, woo hoo is right. cheer.gif Gosh has my weight loss come to a grinding halt! I can get very excited over 1 pound. Can I join TurtlesRUs? Keep it up.

Lillian, I worked well past retirement and it was easy because I knew I could quit any time I wanted. That takes off so much pressure of having to work.

Mindy, glad you made it through the first day. You will have to keep us posted as to what’s going on and what you learn. I do hope you are feeling better. That’s not a good way to start a new job with whacky tummy. drool2.gif

Lillian, are you going to be able to make the 45 miles in a week? I can’t even imagine walking that much. Some of you ladies are just unbelievable. If you don’t make it, I still think you are a rock star, but you know we are all pulling for you. You are not excused for no pictures of your grands!!! Next time have someone else take some pictures with your phone. Okay??

welcome.gif to any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

Has anyone heard from Carol NC? I know she's having a hard time and getting tired of not being able to do things since her surgery. I'm worried about her. I hope she is okay and wish she'd check in once in a while. I'm sending her good thoughts and ((((((Hugs)))))).

I hope all of you have a healthy and happy day. rose.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • NO_Excuses_515
    NO_Excuses_515 Posts: 220 Member
    Morning and Happy Sunday!

Made myself an egg white omelet for breakfast, having a little time with the Foster kitties, and now I need to get some work done around the house.

Tonight is a potluck and parent meeting for all the show choir families. I am leading the parent meeting because I am the Booster Club VP supporting the vocal department. I think I'm ready for the meeting, but need to figure out what healthy dish I can bring to the potluck.

Linda/IA