Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2105

Replies

• Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    edited August 2015
  • Annr
    The Long, Long Trailer (1953) - Mountain Road Clip
  • Annr
    ok you all have to google that and howl with laughter along with me...
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,199 Member
    Busy helping my oldest son move. Will be doing this the next couple of days.

:heart: MNMargaret
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,467 Member
    Does anyone know of any magazine that is geared towards exercises for "mature" people. I'm so sick and tired of looking at ads for people in their 20's and 30's, all the articles seem to be for 20's and 30's. I can't relate. Is there any magazine that deals with the issues of 50-60-and 70 year olds?

After exercising went to WalMart. Made the brownies for us for this weekend (they're in the freezer) and the cake for the social. Then went in the pool, then to Sam's to get gas (I didn't realize they opened so late on a Sunday) and snacks for the social. I have this fear of running out of food.When I'm in the pool that seems seems to be the best time for me to do my thinking. I was thinking of things that needed to be done before the social, what I should do tonight, etc.

Becca - welcome to the "I get my steps in by walking to the bathroom multiple times/day" group!

Janetr - why am I taking key lime cupcakes? I've tried taking healthy foods, the seniors really don't care for them. For that matter, Newcomers like their sauces and desserts, too. I'm thinking that for the social I have this cheese dip that I made, I'll defrost it and people can put that on their veges. I'll get some of those bags of frozen veges (I'll eat the veges and the feta/spinach quiche that I made). You're right, those key lime cupcakes aren't healthy. Hence, I won't be having any. But they are sweet and the seniors will like them. I know that Vince'll eat them. So that's why I'm taking them. I would have made a chocolate pound cake, but someone put on the list that they were going to be bringing a pound cake. My guess is that they're just going to go to the store and buy it.

mtowne - Vince has WPW (Wolf Parkinson White). There have been times when he has tachacardia but it's always been a-fib. Well, about a month or so ago he had tachacardia and all the "tricks" that he uses to get his heart to convert didn't work. So off to the ER we go. It turned out that he had v-tach. Or maybe it was the time he was in the hosp for the a-fib but his heart wouldn't convert and they had to give him a shot of denizene which basically stops the heart for a second. They don't use it very much at all, and there were so many students in observing that I couldn't even see him!

As for the hay question -- see, when they built our house that year there was a very bad drought so they couldn't put in a lawn. We bought the house and so far haven't bothered because first we built the detached garage then we put in the pool. We didn't put in a lawn because we knew that all sorts of equipment would be going over it and killing it, so why bother? Well, now we're ready to put in a lawn. When we went to get hay the last time, it was late and it looks like everyone got theirs because there wasn't any (except for this big roll which is really heavy). I mentioned to Vince that the place had hay now so we should probably buy it while they had it. His concern was that if the hay was just sitting around, it would attract "varmints" (especially snakes). My question was "does hay just sitting around do this? What do people who have barns with horses and you need to have hay for months at a time do? Do they have this problem?

Joyce - I think it was you who gave that great explanation of the ablation. Vince had (or at least they tried to do) an ablation about 10 years ago. His heart kept going into a-fib and the MD finally just called it. With this attack now of v-tach he knows that he's going to have to go for the EP study and they'll do an ablation at the time. Now Jessica has said many times "daddy, you can't have another ablation until I get married because I want you there". Well, now it's going to happen. Would you please put that explanation in again for me because I know Jessica and she'll want to be here when it's done and if it takes more than 1 hr she'll get all worried. So I need to be able to explain to her why there really isn't a reason to worry, it just means that it's taking longer to find the problem. So what was the real good explanation so I can have it in my head when she comes down?

Heather - I want to make the beer butt chicken, mainly because it's easy to make. But I really want to be sure that the breasts are juicy. Is there anything you rub on them? Last time I tried adding a little butter and that really didn't do much other than the butter melted and ran down the chicken. Yes, there are times when I've missed things and caught up because someone commented on it, and, yes, there are times when the person's post is right above mine.

janetr - so sorry about your knee. Sounds really painful

pip - yup, animals KNOW when something's going to happen. I swear Loki knows when I'm going to be giving him his capsule. Some days he "pretends" to put up a fight, other times he doesn't even bother. It's over in two seconds so he puts up with it. Only tonight right after he got his capsule he really got sick, and I do mean really bad. The capsule came up. So I'll give it to him later tonight when hopefully his stomach has settled somewhat. when we pack the suitcase for a trip, some of the cats will get IN the suitcase.

Carey - SNOW???? Isn't it August??

terri - great tiara

drkatiebug - thanks for looking for me. Because I'm short, I really try to avoid Bermuda shorts, I need all the length I can get! Many times I can get into a six. Summertime will be over soon (boo), so I'll just hold off until next year and make sure I get at least one pair.

katla - the first time I made the beer butt chicken the breasts were sooooo moist it was unbelieveable. This last time I didn't think the breasts were as moist as I seemed to remember them being. I guess I just want everything to be perfect.

pip - I can't wait until you have that surgery.

barbie - lovely pics, but why all black. Love the hat!

Becca - I didn't know that about being stuffed!!! That's something

Michele in NC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 17,032 Member
  • pammb953
    pammb953 Posts: 2 Member
    I'm just starting! I need to lose 40 pounds… ugh… but here we go. Focusing on the first 10 and taking it one day at a time.
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,968 Member
    Pip, I was basically trying to be funny about the shoes. Sorry!

My DH and I did go to a running store and get fitted. Once we knew which ones were a good fit for us, then we look for them on the Brooks website. When they come out with the new year's style, they'll put last year's on sale. I just ordered DH 2 pairs for $78 each, marked down from $120. I got mine for $90, marked down from $160. I had two toenails fall off from too short shoes, so I definitely learned my lesson about being professionally fitted. I also had a bout of plantar fasciitis. No more since I got good shoes. The Brooks shoes solved the problem. DH walks 1600 miles a year, and I walk around 1000, so we go through some shoes! Mine are pretty though! One pair is neon yellow and the other is electric blue. This is my second pair of the neon yellow. I wore a hike in the sole of the first.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,122 Member
    :) MIchele, we wore a different hat, scarf, sunglasses or something for each dance so being in all black highlighted the different outfits. Our leader suggested all white and we vetoed it for a lot of reasons....It seems to me that our cats can read the calendar and know what day is the day to go to the vet...then they hide under the bed.
    17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Has anybody heard of the brand Think? Suppose to be great shoes.
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Sorry gang, I've been MIA all weekend. Stormy weather, flooding all around. A tree came down at the lake, but luckily missed the cabin by a few inches. Now we have to figure out how to get rid of it. I had several dizzy spells yesterday but felt ok today. Went to a meeting of my clay club this afternoon, then to SAMs club to shop for some stuff for my son and the kids. A couple of weeks ago I bought them a big box of Kraft Singles cheese and just got a letter from SAMs saying they had been recalled. Luckily they had just barely opened the package, so I took those back and exchanged them for some that were not choking hazards. I also picked up some other stuff they like. I like feeling like I'm augmenting their food stamps a little bit at the end of the month, plus giving the kids some "luxury" items they don't usually get. Makes me feel good.

Tomorrow DGD#2 turns 9. So there will be some things to take care of for that. She has gymnastics at 6:00-7:00 so I'm not sure when we are going to do anything. I'll just have to play it by ear I guess. I'll take cookies and punch to the school for her class. Luckily that stuff has to be all store bought and in sealed packages, so that makes it easier for me. Not as much fun, but easier.

After the clay club meeting was over and most of the people left, the hostess brought her dogs downstairs to see me. I haven't seen them in a couple of years. Now, the tiny wriggling little black puppy has turned into the biggest Rottweiler I've ever seen! He's about 150 pounds, and at two years old he's still very much a puppy. A big, BIG, loveable goofball. He nearly knocked me down, he was so happy to see me. Her other dog is an English bulldog named Daisy and she is more adorable every time I see her. Hubby should be happy I never wound up with a Rottweiler. I think I'm in love.

Well, I'm finishing up some laundry, then I'm going to bed. Good night!

Sylvia

• janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited August 2015
    Barbie - thanks for the pics, looks like you all had a great time.

Michelle - thanks for the kind words. I'm a little worried about going to bed and curling up like I always do. I don't want my knee to do the same thing again tonight. It was a little scary, cuz I just could NOT straighten it out to walk. Thankfully my surgeyr is schedule for Sept. 29th to get that knee replaced. Maybe a good thing.

Janetr OKC
  • mtowne002
    mtowne002 Posts: 152 Member
    Hello any night owls and all the early risers!
    I splurged on myself. Braved the back to school hordes and went to khols. It was last day for spend 50 get 10 in kohls cash (which I am either going to buy a food scale OR a new set of glass Pyrex food storage containers so I can make meals ahead of time..). Anyway my splurge was a FITBIT SURGE! Pretty expensive at $250..they never go on sale. Having fun tonight syncing it to my iPad, checking my heartbeat and curious as to how my nights sleep is going to look tomorrow. Not good I'm sure as I don't follow most of the earlier listed sleep suggestions. Also plan on syncing it w my Nordic track Elite recumbent bike. Will give updates on my learning curve. Any suggestions?
    Gnite my friends
    Mindy in Boston
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Mindy - cool, I got my Fitbit a month or so ago and still love checking things. My sleep pattern is not good either. Last night I slept 3 hours, but it's usually more around 5 hours. Have fun with it and congrats on your good start and new job. I have no suggestions cuz I'm not familiar yet enough to give you tips. Nite.

Janetr OKC
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Barbie - great pictures! You look great!

Michele - I have never seen any exercise magazine geared toward older people. AARP sometimes has things in it.

Sylvia - you need to take care of yourself! Did you call and ask a nurse for advice? I call urgent care when I have something unusual going on. Being dizzy more than once would be unusual for me.

Katiebug- that is a lot of miles!

Have a great night everyone!

Mary from Minnesota
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,691 Member
    Deescrafty – welcome!

Lisa – enjoy that vacation, glad you can sorta leave the restaurant behind…

Heather – oh my I take it so personally when I bungle up a meal… you do such a great job on the other 364 days…

Sharon – your own counselor is a great idea

Pip – I love the look of the Airstream, I’m a tent camper

Terri – Oh dear, I am so sorry that DH is really CH (clueless husband) Great tiara

Katiebug – Brooks shoes are really good. I love that you went shopping for Michelle.

Anne – welcome!

Katiebug – CONGRATS!!!!!!
    Michele – I love Beer butt chicken, and have done it with fruit nectar that comes in a can too… very tender, juicy and good.

Ok – I read everything but wrote pitiful notes… so thinking of all…

August Goals:
    Walk everyday –try to hit 180 miles, 8/16 95 miles so far
    1 plank every day and log here – goal more then 19
    Log everyday –
    Eat mindfully-
    Weekly fun things –
    W1 – Visiting with niece Emily - a trip to SF
    W2 – BFF came for 2 days and a dinner party
    W3 –
    W4 –
    Kim from N. California
  • fanncy0626
    Katla- this is the site that has the exercise with Dumbbells for strong lifts 5x5.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/902569/barbell-routines-when-you-only-have-dumbbells/p1

Mary from Minnesota
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Thanks for the link, Mary. I bookmarked it and saved it to my journal. :heart:
  • fanncy0626
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Thanks for the link, Mary. I bookmarked it and saved it to my journal. :heart:

:)
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Day late and a dollar short. That's me today!!! Yesterday was a lot of fun though

Katla, as far as retaining water, I don't know if it's that or just everything fatter. I know my rings fit me tighter, my sock leave an indentation on my legs. With this new weird heart thing I have I can't be on a water pill and I am supposed to keep my sodium intake to over 2000 mg.

Lori, wow you hit a gold mine of a good day in all aspects!

Dee, did you paint that blue bird? It is quite beautiful. Welcome

Sharon, sounds like things are going better with you and husband. Grand children and especially thier hugs should melt the heart of any Grandpa

Gayle, I am happy that most of the insurances today encourage a healthy life style. And it's a double good that they reward you in money. I went on disability in 1999 so I was on Charlie's insurance for many years and I had to participate in all the wellness checks. Of course with high blood pressure, high cholesterol and prediabetes I was always a risk patient. So they set me up with the wellness coach one time only to identify my goals. I only had to do 1 goal a year and we got our sizable discount on his insurance every year. Plus they gave a discount for non smokers.

DJ, Oh I hope you are right that they don't make frozen brownies. The frozen cookie dough already portioned out is bad enough. Didn't you know that jaw yapping is good exercise???? Yep, just talking. Keep telling yourself that Joyce. I mean if they have measured out how many calories a fingernail is surely some one has figured out how many calories you burn just by talking or having a good belly laugh.

Pip, I love your Airstream. I don't think those things ever get old. You need to brighten up the decorations though. They just don't look Pippy enough. Love the MS ride T-shirt. I would think that with all the riding you two do on your bikes, if you hooked both of you to that trailer, you could pull it! Love the dogs. Nothin like a good swim and getting dirty!

Miriam, I was 1 of 5 kids also. The middle child, two older sisters and 2 younger brothers. my sister and I are 18 months apart then there were 8 years and then the boys came and they are 14 months apart. When Mom and Dad were dating and talking about children, Mom said she wanted 3 girls but Dad said he wanted 2 boys. So they both got what they wanted. But there were many a day that I wasn't sure I wanted to be a big kid or be with my brothers.

Becca, that old trailer looks like it has a drive up bar on the front. I have that step stool, does that count???? Yes, I laughed with you. those old Lucy shows didn't ever need special affects or stuff shows today have on them. They just used the natural humor of the actors and of course with Lucy's eyes, that's all you need.

Penny, thank for the added visual of the map. Wow, you are really up north! I will take my rainy, hot then cold midwest.

Sylvia, they don't call those Rotweilers 'Rotties' for no reason. They are just rotten to the core. and it's a good rotten.

Michele, OK, I will try. I am putting my thinking cap as hard as I can. I presume you can tell her about the V-tach, Tachycardia, Atrial fib as well as I can. But about the ablation itself. Here goes. In situations when a Dr can't control the abnormal heart beat and it is detrimental to the patient after trying medicine and stopping the heart they have to do a procedure called an ablation. There are many different nerves built into the heart's electrical system. It is these nerves that make the heart stay in it's natural rhythm. The rhythm then allows the cardiovascular part of the heart provide blood to the body. So when that rhythm goes out of what, the doctor must try to find the exact nerve that is causing the system to go awry. They put a very thin catheter into a vein and thread it up to heart. At the tip of this catheter is a electrical zapper. So they have to test as many nerves in the heart as they need to to find the offending one. Then they do the ablation which is kind of like killing off that nerve. The usual nerve pattern can them resume it's normal pattern in causing the heart beat. It's kind of like a classroom full of kids. The teacher is trying to get order in the class and teach. But sometimes a bully or a show off in the class. That kid is completely messing her teaching up. So she send that kid to the principals office or removes him from the situation so that she can have order. That's why it may be 1 hour or 8 hours. It doesn't mean that the patient is in trouble. It just mean that they haven't found the right nerve. Just like a teenage girl trying to find a boyfriend!!! Hope this helps. I have been out of nursing close to 20 years now and haven't kept caught up with it. But I always made sure my patients knew there were 2 main systems to the heart and 1 was dependent on the other in order for each to work. Of course a lot of people don't know that the blood supply for the heart itself is outside the heart.

Wow, it seems like a lot of you girls are having some baggage today. Just kick it to the side.I know it's close to the end of the month but there is still plenty of room over there for some more.

On the matter of sleep, I have found something that is making my sleep better. I know I shouldn't but I take my Clonazepam and Melotin right before I turn the computer off for the night. I get ready for bed, straighten Melody's towel for her at the end of the bed and the get in bed. This is what is bad. I play magic puzzles on face book. So I do that while I am in bed, with the lights off. I have a sleep number bed and when it is at 100 it is HARD! So while I am playing this game on my iPad, I put the bed at 75 and then when I am actually ready to go to sleep I turn it to 55. Well one night I forgot to lower it and I didn't have as much back stiffness when I got up. So I now just leave it at 75.

Well, I made a big boo boo yesterday morning. I put together our pill keepers Friday night and put all my medicine for yesterday in an empty pill bottle. So when I got up yesterday I just emptied that pill bottle in my hand and took them. It was when we were driving that I realized how tired I was. So I put my seat down and soundly slept, even snored. When I woke up I noticed that things weren't in focus. Then when we got to Christina's house it was had to walk and I almost knocked Ellie down. I realized I had taken ALL of yesterdays medicine at one time, all four of my blood pressure, the pill I take for nerve pain I took all at a time instead of 1 in the morning and 2 at night, my sleeping pills, all of them. So I got some tea for lunch and even got a refill. of course I had to take my sleeping pill again at bedtime. But between all of that getting home so late, and church this morning, I have been really tired all day. Chose not to go to Sunday school. Tomorrow we have to go look at doors. We have a steel front door and Charlie takes his anger out on that poor door so there all all sorts of pox on it, our garage doors have never been replaced. We can't expect them to be painted along with the house if we don't have them. So that's more money going out. Our checking account has a leaking hole in it.I sure wish we would find out what these Remicade infusions are going to cost.

But we had a good time yesterday. They had been wanting to go this ''wetlands' nature preserve. When you don't have any money, you look for free entertainment. Honestly there was nothing there that excited charlie and I but I didn't get a lot of walking in. Had a veggie pizza from Papa John's for supper, just 1 piece. Then we went outside and lit the firepit and had s'more's. Yummy, sure wish IU could eat them to my hearts content. Then Ellie had one of those big fat plastic ball bats that come with a big plastic ball. She had never played any kind of ball before. Charlie had been a pitcher for most of his life in the Salvation army leagues, high school, leagues where we worked. So he pitched to her. She can play ball! Trinity of course wanted in on all that sheering and so she tried it. That girl is definetely my grand daughter. When I throw something it will go in a completely opposite direction!!! And when the ball came to her her bat would go way up in the air after it. So she ran and chased after Ellie's balls. Fun day and evening.

nite, nite Joyce, Indiana