Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2105

Replies

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,467 Member
    Did 50 minutes of pilates today. Then went to WalMart. I didn't realize that the gas station doesn't open on Sundays until 9 so I'll have to go back, I really do need gas.

The plan for tomorrow is to do another segment of the Butt Lift DVD, hold my plank and then take the extremepump class. We need to go to bowling early since they're going to be serving bbq, I'm planning to just take a peach and an orange with me. The key lime cupcakes are already made and iced and in the refrig, all I need to do is take them with me

DJ - Vince used to get me a bag of Dove for Christmas because he knew I liked them. He'd also get me some for our anniversary, etc. Now I honestly tell him "don't get me candy...get me xxx" He and Jessica know that I love things from "Incredible Edibles" (fruit cut up in shapes to make flowers). Unfortunately, the closest IE is about 45 minutes away. Vince said it rained really hard last night, so this morning it was quite comfortable. I remember my girlfriend's mother used to watch Peyton Place. I think I once glanced at it, but didn't really watch it. I'm so sorry you're not well and that white bowl had to be your friend. What a bummer! But glad you started to feel better. It might very well take your body a few days to get back to normal. That's how it was when I had that dizzy spell. It's been a few days now that I haven't been dizzy, but I still take it slowly

Mary from MN - I have to be careful of my form, too. That's one of the reasons why when I take a class I usually like to stand in front of the mirror. The other time by accident I held my plank at the place where I take the extremepump class and I was glad I did because I saw that my butt should be down more. Bet you had a great time at that anniversary party. Do you know that Vince (now, mind you, he has a CPA degree) made all the arrangements for us to go to FL for his parent's 50th anniversary. There was a placque on their porch saying "LeGrand household established ....". All he had to do was take that year and minus the year that it currently was. What happened? All the arrangements were made --- only it was their 49th anniversary!!!! I do have to say, they didn't expect us for 49!!!!

Right now I'm making these Hungry Girl "brownies" for when Rori and Carol come here. Don't worry, I've put it into MFP and each "brownie" is 111 calories. And you should see the size of them!!! Basically, it's a box cake mix and a can of pumpkin.

I'm also thinking that for us we'll have corn on the cob (70 calories each), I have SeaQueen salmon burgers or veggie burgers, we'll use those 100 calorie buns (not regular hamburger buns). Is there something else you'd like? I'll have some unsweetened green tea to drink. Let me know if there's something else you'd like. Wait till you try this corn. Is it ever sweet!

Right now I have the cakes for the strawberry shortcake cake that I'll make for the social. You are supposed to freeze the cakes (it supposedly makes it easier to ice) so in the freezer they'll go along with the brownies after I cut them up. Rori and Carol -- wait until you see the size!

Becca - why is peppermint tea now on your NoGo list?

Heather - got a cooking question for you. Have you ever had beer butt chicken? I really want to make sure that the breasts are really moist. I'm going to have Jessica's friend who moved to NC here for dinner Labor Day. I'm thinking of having beer butt chicken along with some hamburgers. She has a son who is about 7 so hamburgers might be better for him.

Welcome everyone new!

glowormin - when I cut & paste a Word document to be posted here, special characters won't come out for me, either. Same thing if I "bold" a person's name, it won't post bold unless I use MFP's bold feature. Oh well. Like barbie said, you just gotta try different things

Jessica just called to say that she's coming down on Wed. her friend Penn is coming in from TN (I just don't remember if she said Thurs or Fri) and Colby will be coming down Fri. Looks like I should make something else for the food for the social. So far I have that spinach/feta quiche, I'm going to make the cake, now I need to think of something that I can make ahead of time and maybe have it in the freezer.

Lilly - sounds like you had a fantastic day! You're so right, the company books can wait. You'll be dead and buried and they'll still be there. You need to take care of yourself first.

Lenora - I've found that most appetizers are usually deep fried. Not all, but most of them. Hope you didn't get anything deep fried

In the past I've always tried to make just one post/day. Today I'm going to try something different, I'll post as I write things. Maybe my posts were too long? No one mentioned about Vince being in the hosp until I said something, no one answered my hay question, there have been lots of other questions that no one has answered and I KNOW people have answers. Maybe my posts were too long, so we'll try this. I know how it can be on days when you don't have a lot of time and just skim the posts. There are days when I have to skim too (like Mondays)

Michele in NC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 17,030 Member
    mornin peeps -

just dawned on me, i hope all u walkers have good walking shoes and i mean "i bought them at wal-fart they were on sale" kind.

type to ya later
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,122 Member
    :)Pip my shoes are New Balance Country Walkers---pricey but they feel great and keep my feet dry in the wet grass in the rainy season

kx4s0dsfchqc.jpgPenny, when I started weight training I used 3, 5, and 10 pound dumbbells. For Valentine's Day that year, Jake bought me 15 pound dumbbells instead of the traditional gifts. It has just been recently that a pair of 15 pound dumbbells hasn't been heavy enough for me. When I read about "lifting heavy" all the articles featured young fit people with monster weights. What is more true is to lift the heaviest that you can lift and in time it will get heavier than you ever imagined...at least that's what I'm expecting.

:)Sharon, Isagenix is a nutritional product developed by a scientist who was trying to create something to combat toxic substances in the human body and found by accident that his products assisted in weight loss, fat reduction, and building of lean muscle. The weight loss program includes meal replacement shakes and some other products along with 400-600 calories of traditional food and a day a week of just a cleanse beverage and some other products. My husband learned about it from his chiropractor. What surprised me was not his weight loss because men lose weight easily, but the increase in his energy. I tried the program and was surprised at how satisfying the shakes were and how much more energy I had. I lost weight more easily and found it easier to stay on the plan and stay away from desserts and snacks than other women I knew.

:)Alison, congrats on your 16,000 steps...that's not easy to achieve without some real dedicated effort.

<3 dog walks finished, snack finished, laundry going, now it's time to tackle my new weights...each dumbbell is set up for 20 pounds (so 40 pounds total) for squats, bench press, and barbell row....I'll also do several planks.

<3 Barbie in smoky NW Washington

• Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    @exermom Peppermint in not on my nogo list, its on DreamWriters list :smiley: I am addicted to the stuff. My daily liquid intake is around 80-96 oz. I always drink my Crystal Light Lemonwater 32 oz, and then I have my Moroccan Mint iced tea 24 oz, then I usually have my two cups of coffee or more lemonwater, then my peppermint tea to rooound out the day. And yep I pee about 10 times a night...*sigh*
    Becca...
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited August 2015
    Michelle - why are you taking key lime cupcakes and then having nothing there you can eat? Why not whip up something healthy and teach others how they too can enjoy yummy healthy foods? The key lime sounds devine, but aren't really healthy for anyone. Not criticizing just wondering.

Janetr OKC

• mtowne002
    mtowne002 Posts: 152 Member
    Michelle. I think either I was really new and confused (actually I still am! But getting better) or those two items happened before I came? Why did Vince go in the hospital? And what is your question about hay? (I used to own horses)
  • mtowne002
    mtowne002 Posts: 152 Member
    Oops
    Mindy from Boston
    PS. I have an item on my Bucket list to see my old friend in Tenessee and during the trip spend a week or so in a cabin rental in smokey mountains day hiking and trail riding!
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,578 Member
    edited August 2015
    Michele - yes, it is easy to miss things. Sometimes I only catch things when other people reply to them and I realise they were writing at the same time as me and their post is above mine.
    I have never tried beer butt chicken, but I have heard of it. My horrible chicken was breasts wrapped in pancetta with tarragon. Inedible, because it was soooooooooo tough.

Had a very floppy day. Had a nap and I feel much better. My Morrocan chicken was delicious! ! ! ! ! Redeemed!
    I have really gone off cooking these days. I'm trying to work out why. Can't be bothered. ;) We have guests next weekend and I am feeling blah about it. Also I'm not finding myself enthusiastic about DH 's 70th birthday in October. I am going to make the cake next week, but will have to whip myself to do the rest. I told him at the beginning that I was not getting involved, but he is backsliding and I have some jobs to do that I would rather not have to bother with. Perhaps that explains my mood. :s The whole weekend would not be my choice and is altogether too much work. But I will have to suck it up and help him make it a success. <3

Love Heather UK

PS - my friend is in Paris where I wanted to be. She has sent photos. :sad:

Sorty, I feel bad about feeling bad. I have a lovely life. Kick my pile to the side!
  • janetr7476
    edited August 2015
    Its so easy to let all this "life stuff" get in the way and get us down, well it is for me anyway. I didn't feel good yesterday and even laid on the bed to take a nap, which is highly unusual for me, I had just dozed off when DH walked in to ask if I was OK? Arghhh, I was irritated and then of course he felt bad. Then right at dinner time our neighbors and good friends decided to come over to discuss our upcoming road trip to go visit Jack's Mom and stop in Branson, MO on the way home. They didn't leave until almost 8:00 PM by the time I made dinner and we ate it was really getting late. I couldn't relax and even think of sleeping so I was up until 3:00 AM then woke up at 6:00 to go the to restroom and could not straightened my left knee out enough to walk. It was excrutiating pain. DH woke when I yelped and fell back down on the bed, he got the walker and helped me hop on my right leg to the bathroom. My leg just would not straighten out. He helped me to the Florida room and by then it was better. I put a heating pad on it, but needless to say am tired and feel like all my joints ache. Not sure what is going on. Hope it goes away soon.

Sorry for the tirade, thanks for listening :)

Janetr OKC
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Lagopus wrote: »
    Mary in MN smiley-sport017.gif – When I was out the other day doing those boring errands, I stopped by a well-stocked sporting goods store to look at their weights. They had an official olympic barbell bar. I think it weighs 45 lbs...? (That's 20 kg. Sounds reasonable.) I picked that sucker up and GEEZ it was heavy! Now I'm scared! I don't know if I could squat with that bar alone, much less with weights attached. smiley-scared001.gif
    Hold my hand and speak reassuringly, please!

I didn't start with the olympic bar. I started with a 12.5 lb bar, approximatedly 5 1/2 kg. I then increased by the 5lb increase until I hit my maximum amount and now I increase by 1 lb. I have also had to do what they call a deload which is decreasing weights to get over a plateau. that happened when I got up to 80 lb squats. I had to go back to 70 lb squats and work my way back up which made it easier to get past the 80 lbs. I now can squat 110 lbs. I have been doing this since March 2nd though. I could not lift the 45 lb bar when I started either!

Mary from Minnesota
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    Oh, thanks for that info, Mary. I've just been looking at the Stronglifts 5×5 videos where the dude says you have to start easy with weights you have no trouble lifting for warm ups, and as an example he uses the olympic bar without weights. Easy-peasy, hunh?

Tomorrow I head for the local gym to see what they have to offer. I'm hoping there are options for basket cases like me. ;)
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    edited August 2015
    Hello ladies! We just got home from the anniversary party. I'm checking in then will do strong lifts 5x5.

Sharon - I hope you feel better! Migraines are not fun.

Heather- what is the tube strike?

Anne - I agree with you on the strength training having a positive affect on getting rid of aches and pains!

Katiebug- yeah! You are doing great!

Mindy- I'm glad you had a good first day!

Lillian - you are so fortunate to be able to cuddle with your DGC! Especially when they are so little!

Lenora- Olive Garden can be very dangerous!

Allison- I know what you're talking about, I was on staple pulling duty last month when we pulled out our carpet! Take care of yourself!

Katla- I hope that you and your DH can get some relief from the air quality!

DJ - thanks! The surprise party was very fun! I have been wondering about Carol as well.

Michele - that was a very funny story about Vince and the 49th anniversary! We did that on our mom's 80th really 79th. Good thing we all enjoy a good party! Sometimes I wonder if mine are too long as well.

Barbie - happy weights to you! 40 lbs is a lot for your first time! You are in much better condition than when I started! Let us know how it goes.

Janetr- I hope you feel better!
    Lagopus wrote: »
    Oh, thanks for that info, Mary. I've just been looking at the Stronglifts 5×5 videos where the dude says you have to start easy with weights you have no trouble lifting for warm ups, and as an example he uses the olympic bar without weights. Easy-peasy, hunh?

Tomorrow I head for the local gym to see what they have to offer. I'm hoping there are options for basket cases like me. ;)

I started with a 12 1/2 lb barbell at home. I know that they have different types of barbells at the gyms I've been in. Ask the trainer there. Or, look up goblet squats they can be done with a dumbbell or kettle bell.

Have a great day everyone!

Mary from Minnesota
  • pipcd34
    i tell ya, dogs are VERY smart. we took the kids and were planning on taking them to the water to swim afterwards. they saw me getting their bag ready with towels, their water toy and the fanny pack that has treats and poop bags. we put them in the care like usual. we got in the car and left for the gym. we parked and started walking to the gym. NORMALLY, they are quiet, no peep out of them, we go workout and come back. well this time, yogi was barking and barking, which made floyd bark. as soon as they saw that we were out of sight, yogi started howling which he has NEVER done b4, and that made floyd howl. i stopped and looked at kirby and said, listen... they know..so we turned around and got in the car to take them swimming... 24woie9emp8x.jpg
  • SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Glowormin: Yep MS Word likes to think it's really smart and help you out by adding extra code that you can't see. :smile: I use Notepad because it doesn't try to. I think you'll find that MFP will format the font for you when you save your post. I usually only worry about carriage returns (Enter key) as they can leave a line in the middle of a paragraph.

For bold or italics and things like that, because this is a web page specific html "tags" are required. Once you past the text into the reply box - highlight what you what to be formatted and use the MFP icons to insert the "tags" for you.

Mary: Yep hip, knees, arms,neck, tummy - everything still sore but it is easing off. The PT is checking my form all the time so I think I'm in the correct position. I'm not adding any external weight at this point. Just too many years sedentary I think and my muscles are rebelling.

Sharon in LA: Sorry about the migraine.. they are not fun. Hope you feel better today. (((HUGS)))

Michelle: I always wonder how I miss things that people are posting because I read everything. I wonder sometimes if I read it too soon after it was posted and then it was edited after I moved on. Thanks for your riding story - I found it very encouraging. :smile:

Lillian: 15 months of walking 100 miles a month.. you are a wonderful role model!

Janetr: Joint pain sucks! Feel better soon.

Katiebug/ DJ: I'm in the TurtlesRUs group too. Katie - congrats on that lb! Yabba dabba doooooo ...

Apparently, Calgary had snow on Friday... only in Alberta... sigh. I had to turn the furnace on yesterday, it was so cold in my house I got tired of sitting in hot water in the tub to warm up! Haven't been out yet today to see if my flowers froze and I haven't been out to farm to pick my cucumbers, beans etc. I hope it didn't freeze too badly.

Later friends,

Carey-Edmonton

Goals for last half of August:

1. Log all meals

2.Plan and Do - 2 fun things every week
    • W1: Haying in the 30's cancer support, camping with the folks
    • W2: Celebrate my birthday with the boys, invited to Aunt's for supper, swimming with DS#2.
    • W3:Mani & Pedi
    • W4:Hot Stone Massage
    3. Ride stationary bike 3 times a week for at least 30 minutes.
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Tiara on and ready for MexicanFest. dra7h1i7qgle.jpg
  • SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Love that tiara - Terri!

Carey in Edmonton
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,578 Member
    Gooooooooo Terri! :drinker:

Heather UK
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,860 Member
    Happy Sunday! Had a very nice evening at church. Got a little over 7 hours sleep so feeling pretty good so far. I am working 6-4;30 today and then going to help our CMA group do a supper at one of the churchs here in town. They are having a bikers Sunday today. One of our guys is going to speak at the service this morning and then there will be a fun ride and then we are doing a good will offering supper. I admit I wish I was off and could go on the ride, but next time.

Becca--Congrates on the 25 pounds.

Tina--Welcome, you have come to the right place for support and friendship. Come often you can do this!

Lori--Good for You!!! I know you feel better and One Day at a time.

jb--Glad to hear from you. Hope to see more of your posts.

Grits--Sorry about your fall, so glad you were not hurt worse.

Cheri--Love the family picture, thanks for sharing.

Katla--Scary about the fire smoke being so close and so thick. Please be careful.

pip--I agree you have a beautiful airstream.

janetr--Sure hope your day got better.

Teri--Good just with the tiara. Looks natural on you.

Well ladies I am all caught up again. Been another long day and have just over an hour before I am off. Then DH will pick my up and stop home and change then go help serve the supper at church. I work another short day tomorrow 7-3, then I am off Tuesday. Have a list of things I need to get done. Take care dear ladies and remember we are not in this alone. I love each of you and Thank you for your support and friendship.
    Blessings, Vicki GI NE
  • pipcd34
    stat for the day-
    taking the kids swimming - 45min, total cal 170
  • janetr7476
    edited August 2015
    Mary/Carey/Vicki - thanks for the kind words. I'm not as stiff as I was this morning at least. I've got the laundry done, last load is in the dryer. Hope whatever it is has gone on its way.

Pip - That's cute about the kids. They for sure are very smart. When we start loading the trailer ours go bananas, as if we've ever gone and left them behind.

Terri - You are just the cutest. Wish I had enough confidence and/or feeling of self-worth to walk around in a tiara. I love it.

Janetr OKC