Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2105

Replies

• drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,968 Member
    @exermom , I was in a shopping mood today with nothing really to buy, so looked for you some brown shorts. Christopher and Banks has a dark brown pair of Bermuda shorts in size 6 on clearance. They are kind of dressy looking, and six is all they have. Really pretty. For some reason, I was thinking that might be your size. Kohl's has a cute pair of Dickie's, I think, in several sizes, but the brown is lighter. Maurice's had some darling ones, but they are SHORT! Just wondering if you had tried online.
  • drkatiebug
    Oh, one more thing: @grandmallie , the guy in front of me at Lowe's yesterday was buying this magnet on a stick thing (looked like a swiffer mop, but the flat part was a magnet). He said it was to get up nails from the basement floor. Would that be even remotely helpful?
  • drkatiebug
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    mornin peeps -

just dawned on me, i hope all u walkers have good walking shoes and i mean "i bought them at wal-fart they were on sale" kind.

type to ya later

How about Brooks Glycerin? Can I wear those, even if I got them on sale?

They're really pretty!
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,580 Member
    edited August 2015
    Mary - the tube strike is a strike of the whole underground network in London. The unions are still talking, so we should know for definite tomorrow. Two strikes are scheduled for this week. It's about the all night running of the tube at weekends, which is supposed to be happening from September.

Vicki - enjoy the supper! You work so hard. :flowerforyou:

Pip - the Airstream is so gorgeous! Very chic!
    What do those of you with RVs do when you get to a camping site? How do you get about locally? In the UK I have seen bikes on board or occasionally they are towing a small car! ! ! ! !

Going to bed soon. I will read my book for a while and hope I can get to sleep. My mind is not peaceful and I don't know why.

Lots of love to all. Heather UK

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Annr wrote: »
    @pipcd34 Love love LOVE your Airstream!

Ditto!!!!! Gayle Minneapolis
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    SSC1958 wrote: »
    Mary: Yep hip, knees, arms,neck, tummy - everything still sore but it is easing off. The PT is checking my form all the time so I think I'm in the correct position. I'm not adding any external weight at this point. Just too many years sedentary I think and my muscles are rebelling.

Carey-Edmonton

If the rowing machine uses weights I would deload at least 10 lbs so that you don't get an injury. You should never feel any pain if you slowly work into an exercise and weight amount. It is a myth about no pain no gain.

Pip - Your puppies and soooo cute!

Terri - I love your tiara!
    janetr7476 wrote: »
    Mary/Carey/Vicki - thanks for the kind words. I'm not as stiff as I was this morning at least. I've got the laundry done, last load is in the dryer. Hope whatever it is has gone on its way.

Janetr OKC
    I'm glad you are feeling better.

Mary - the tube strike is a strike of the whole underground network in London. The unions are still talking, so we should know for definite tomorrow. Two strikes are scheduled for this week. It's about the all night running of the tube at weekends, which is supposed to be happening from September.
    Heather UK

Wow! That would be tragic! I hope they settle things quickly.

Mary from Minnesota
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Heather: I'm so sorry you seem to be off your stride. I wonder whether there is something bothering you that has put you out of sorts. If so, I hope it goes away soon. :heart: Getting around when we travel by boat is accomplished on foot. We don't have an RV now, but when we did it was a travel trailer, so we always had the truck we hauled it with to drive around once the trailer was parked. :smile:

Michele: We make beer butt chicken now and then. It is always moist and tender, and often seems almost over done. Many people simply open a can of beer, add spices to it, and sit the chicken over it on the barbecue and bake/roast it until done. I am against using aluminum cans, so we found a stainless device made for the purpose. The chicken is always moist and tender, and we've been known to occasionally overcook it until it almost falls off of the bones. It is better if we take it off the heat before it reaches that stage. We season ours with garlic powder, onion powder, and a little bit of cayenne in addition to the beer. Some people use Cajun seasoning or barbecue sauce on the chicken and mixed into the beer. :flowerforyou:

Mary, Barbie & Lagopus: I am a big chicken regarding Stronglift 5X5. I am planning to talk to a trainer at the gym about the concept and what I can do there. I don't have space at home for weights. :noway:

Pip: My dog isn't spoiled, either. :laugh:

Terri: The tiara is lovely on you. :flowerforyou:

Vicki: The fires are more than a hundred miles away, but the smoke is right in our noses. We aren't in danger from flames but breathing the smoky air is unpleasant & makes DH feel awful. :sick:

This has been a low energy sit around day and I need to move. I may take the dog for a walk even though the air quality is poor. I'm tired of all the things I can't do, and need to do something anyway. He'll be grateful and so will I.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

August Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,122 Member
    edited August 2015
    :'( Katla, we have a lot of smoke from the fires here, too. The moon was orange this morning
  • barbiecat
    edited August 2015
    :) Pip, I love the dogs after swimming picture
  • barbiecat
    edited August 2015
    <3 Heather, sometimes my head gets full of all sorts of rotten stuff and I have to tell it to "shut up"
  • barbiecat
    fanncy0626 wrote: »

Barbie - happy weights to you! 40 lbs is a lot for your first time! You are in much better condition than when I started! Let us know how it goes.

Mary, I have been doing weight training for a couple of years, changing routines and staying with lighter weights, body weight exercises, and fewer sets with more repetitions. Strong lifts 5X5 inspired me to lift heavier with fewer reps and more sets....I am so grateful to you for sharing that with me. By the time I started with strong lifts, I'd been doing 100 squats in sets of 20 with 30 pounds.

<3 Barbie
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 17,032 Member
    cityjane - since we ride bikes everywhere, we would continue riding when we park the airstream. i also have a 1971 volkswagon bug that would be our car if we needed to drive anywhere.

drkatie - i guess my point about the walking with the walking shoes is if there was a shoe store around your area that specialized in running or walking, they could fit you for shoes that would support you, especially if you are carrying a lot of weight. we have a store around here called brooks running. they look at your gate, running and walking to see how you run. they ask what are you using them for, how long, how constant, etc.. they get you the right shoe for what you are using it for. when i used to use tennis shoes, i went to them, i told them mostly treadmill running for about 5 miles every other day. they fit me. i used them for about 2 weeks, and i noticed that one shoe was pinching me. they allowed me to swap for another pair and i paid the difference. good shoes make the world of difference. for me pretty looks don't mean anything if they are not going to give me the support i need.

today, i was doing an errand and i opened the door and it slowly swung back and hit my bone of my shoulder that was sticking up! that hurt! glad i already had a pill in me. that's the first time the bone got in the way.
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    DrKatie, those magnets on a stick are for picking up loose nails or screws, not ones stuck in things. I went around my yard about ten times before I thought I had gotten all the roofing nails from my new roof a few years ago. They work best on floors, not in mulch and plants!
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Happy sun,enjoying the beautiful day.
    HUGS jane
  • pipcd34
    other bike is in the shop getting tuned up for the MS Ride. that's a +.
    it won't be ready til the 1st, that's a minus!
    i have my winter bike to ride til it's ready, that's a +.
    it's heavier, i'll be a bit slower, that's a minus.
    at least i'm blessed to even have another bike to ride, that's a +.
    i won't have to wear a backpack to put more pressure on the shoulder and give it a break, that's a double + because i'll have a pannier.
  • barbiecat
    edited August 2015
    :) One friend who took pictures of the line dance at the fair, just called and I asked her to send photos. She took a lot and I picked out two that I like.

l1gja65y0se2.jpg

1r7p7wqztghv.jpg

I am the one on the far right in the picture (stage left)

EDIT
    The pictures weren't sideways and upside down on my computer but I don't know how to fix it

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Mary, Barbie & Lagopus: I am a big chicken regarding Stronglift 5X5. I am planning to talk to a trainer at the gym about the concept and what I can do there. I don't have space at home for weights. :noway:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

You can start out with dumbbells and work on correct form is essential. He suggests an empty barbell. I started with only a 12.5 lb bar and I wouldn't suggest any heavier for a beginner. I think that a barbell on the back is easier then dumbbells because you also use your back and body to lift the bar. You can do goblet squats with a dumbbell, look that up on the internet. I posted how to use dumbbells in place of a barbell to do stronglifts 5X5 to Barbie but I cannot find that website and if I do I will repost it for you.

Mary from Minnesota
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Ooooh todays lunch was a can of "Deep Sea Pink Salmon" (about 4.6 oz worth), then I cooked up some whole wheat penne pasta (I put in 2 cups dry so Im thinking 4 cups cooked), 6 oz of cherry tomatoes, 1/4 cup of sweet relish, 3 T of light mayo, and 1 T of parmesan cheese. I mixed it all up and made 4 servings of it. It came out to 288 calories per serving which is perfect :-) Two containers are in the freezer, one in frig, and one happily in my belly!

This week I am 233 lbs. I am edging closer to 200, then to onederland! I am definately feeling different this round than when I lost with Jenny Craig. I did it through the mail, so I rec'd the food, then my counselor called me every week. I remember when I made it to 179 (only because I had taken a Greyhound Bus from Oregon to California) and then my counselor transferred to another job. I got a new gal, and she sounded 12 yrs. old. I slowly started to gain the weight back, but I lied to her about what my weight was. I lied to my husband, because I was feeling so guilty about spending the $400 on food every month. It was awful, and so financially I just quit. By then I was 200 and felt so bummed. Honesty is now my best friend and feeling up front about my weight to everyone is a breath of fresh air.

This process has been quite easy to say the least. I say what I mean, and mean what I say. I eat when I am truely hungry, but not until I am full, and especially not until I am stuffed... (by the way, if you say you are stuffed in Australia it means you have just had intercourse FYI.. lol) I drink my 92 oz or more of liquids a day and that really helps. It helps with any hunger I feel, and it also helps with digestion. I used to deal with such upset stomach when I ate healthy. It was the munching on BEANOS before every meal. The problem was that I was pigging out on healthy food. There can be too much of a good thing, and it becomes a bad thing...

Becca feeling blessed.
    Oregon

• pipcd34
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Heather - we too have a bumper pull trailer, so once we park we have the truck to get around in. If we get a motor home we will sell the big a truck and get a small vehicle to pull behind.