Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2105

Replies

• mtowne002
    mtowne002 Posts: 152 Member
    Hey Gals,
    I get an A+ for preparing for wellness today and an F for excersize...or a zero actually. I'm gonna take someone's advice and get up a little earlier and excersize first thing THEN shower and dress for the day..I have been getting to bed earlier 1:20 last night tonight I'll go for 1am. Back up 20 minutes a day. Today I fooled around too long playing with my new FITBIT. It was fun. Chris helped me sync it to MFP. Thank you. Pathetically my baseline steps (no excersize no work today) is only nearing 2000. Wow. Ok so tomorrow I'll do 3000. I also found my vinyl covered weights and brought them down to the living room. I also went to Kohls w my Kohls cash I bought a 28 piece Rubbermaid flex and seal set which I plan on preparing a few serving size meals in advance....and then I went to WF (whole foods). Used my discount and got Coho Salmon. I found out that COHO salmon is wild caught which clearly had almost no fat marbling..unlike the delishious looking farm raised next to it which was super marbled. Big diff in calories too I imagine. I also got red bell peppers, asparagus and watermelon. Tonight I cooked the veggies and fish by roasting them. I put a Tb olive oil in the baking dish and tossed the veggies w it first. They were AWESOME. I made enough for several nights and have the handy sized containers to boot. The salmon I only made two servings of as I won't eat cooked fish that is more than one night old. Then I made a big pot of Jasmine rice w measured olive oil and a few chicken bullion cubes so I could skip the butter. Measured out suppers and three more servings. I'm gonna try and post a pic. It ended up being a bit too much food but my girls (Whinny and Lulu) helped me out.mhs3mm9sz3ri.jpg
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 17,034 Member
    stats for the day:
    1st ride w/trek and pannier
    ride hm 2 gym- 12.03min, 14.6amph, 2.9mi = 106c
    spin- 45min, 79ar, 101aw, 11-16g, 17.5mi = 345c
    ride gym 2 dome - 5.25min, 14.8amph, 1.3mi = 72c
    ride wk 2 hm- 50.51min, 11.8amph, 10mi = 467c
    total cal 990
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Mindy, good job! I find preparing ahead makes it all that much easier to stay away from mindless munching. Be sure to plan for high protein snacks when you get hungry between meals, almonds, hard boiled eggs, rice cakes with peanut butter, and cheese are what I like.
    Chris in MA
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,225 Member
    Hi all just marking my spot. I'll be back tomorrow to chat. Meg from Omaha
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Morning Ladies,

Carey, sounds like fun times with the kids.

CarolNC, so glad you checked in. Sorry you are still having problems and wish I could do something to help. Hang in there and know we are rooting for you!!! (((((Hugs)))))

Katla, while reading your post I was thinking about the engineered wood floors. They are so beautiful as well as durable and you can always put area rugs where wanted. I don’t know how expensive they are but that would be my only suggestion.

Betty, glad you are back on the right track today. Good girl!

Vicki, I hope you get to everything on your list today and tomorrow. I also think of all of you often and remember you in my prayers each night. You ladies have become an important part of my life. And I thank you. 

Rita, sorry you didn’t feel well over the weekend. Sending healing thoughts your way.

Pip’s got water dogs. Aren’t they cute when wet???

Terri, can you not just get a gift certificate/gift card for your DD?? Even if you withhold it until you get the size, if that is what you want? The debit card works but is there any penalty if she tries to go over the balance? I don’t even know what to say about midnight cereal eating???? *shaking head* What do you think????

Sylvia, I was ready to throw you a life ring if you were drowning in all that chocolate. Sorry about the DIL being back in the picture. What is her story? Other than the bottle. Does she treat your DS badly? I hope Molly is okay.

Mary, lots of grands having birthdays. Must have been a popular month for births? You have fun at the fair and Happy Anniversary!!!! You are just newlyweds. marriage.gif

Heather, so happy for you that the Tube strike is off. I know you felt tied down not being able to go to London. Have fun with the grands and kids on Thursday.

Chris, it sounds like you had a blast crashing the wedding. Lol Good for you.

I took my friend to the doctor today and it wasn’t a good visit. He told her that he can’t do any surgery until she has the test that was screwed up last week. A PET scan, I think?? Anyway he saw the cyst on the xray and needs this test to determine if it is Cancer. Then he said, it could be bone Cancer and it could have spread throughout her body. Well that scared the Hell out of her. Last week it was a cyst and now this. Anyway it’s finally scheduled for Thursday and of course no results until Monday so more waiting while she is in pain. Please keep her in your prayers for those that pray.

I hope all of you have a healthy and happy day. rose.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 17,034 Member
  • NO_Excuses_515
    NO_Excuses_515 Posts: 220 Member
    exermom wrote: »
    Does anyone know of any magazine that is geared towards exercises for "mature" people. I'm so sick and tired of looking at ads for people in their 20's and 30's, all the articles seem to be for 20's and 30's. I can't relate. Is there any magazine that deals with the issues of 50-60-and 70 year olds?
    Michele in NC

Have you ever tried More magazine? It's not an exercise magazine specifically but the target audience is women age 40 and older.

Linda/IA
  • NO_Excuses_515
    Annr wrote: »
    The Long, Long Trailer (1953) - Mountain Road Clip

I did Google it and I did laugh along with you. :D

Linda/IA
    17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    DamitJanit wrote: »

Good Morning Ladies,

CarolNC, so glad you checked in. Sorry you are still having problems and wish I could do something to help. Hang in there and know we are rooting for you!!! (((((Hugs)))))

Katla, while reading your post I was thinking about the engineered wood floors. They are so beautiful as well as durable and you can always put area rugs where wanted. I don’t know how expensive they are but that would be my only suggestion.

Vicki, I hope you get to everything on your list today and tomorrow. I also think of all of you often and remember you in my prayers each night. You ladies have become an important part of my life. And I thank you. 

Rita, sorry you didn’t feel well over the weekend. Sending healing thoughts your way.

Terri, can you not just get a gift certificate/gift card for your DD?? Even if you withhold it until you get the size, if that is what you want? The debit card works but is there any penalty if she tries to go over the balance? I don’t even know what to say about midnight cereal eating???? *shaking head* What do you think????

Sylvia, I was ready to throw you a life ring if you were drowning in all that chocolate. Sorry about the DIL being back in the picture. What is her story? Other than the bottle. Does she treat your DS badly? I hope Molly is okay.

Mary, lots of grands having birthdays. Must have been a popular month for births? You have fun at the fair and Happy Anniversary!!!! You are just newlyweds. marriage.gif

Heather, so happy for you that the Tube strike is off. I know you felt tied down not being able to go to London. Have fun with the grands and kids on Thursday.

I took my friend to the doctor today and it wasn’t a good visit. He told her that he can’t do any surgery until she has the test that was screwed up last week. A PET scan, I think?? Anyway he saw the cyst on the xray and needs this test to determine if it is Cancer. Then he said, it could be bone Cancer and it could have spread throughout her body. Well that scared the Hell out of her. Last week it was a cyst and now this. Anyway it’s finally scheduled for Thursday and of course no results until Monday so more waiting while she is in pain. Please keep her in your prayers for those that pray.

Words I live by:
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC

Good Morning Ladies,

Words I live by:
    and
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC

Omg!!!!! What a terrible thing to say to a patient. Will say prayers n send to a prayer group. Someone needs to tell this dr what he did was cruel. Gayle Minneapolis
  • NO_Excuses_515
    jmkmomm wrote: »

Miriam, I was 1 of 5 kids also. The middle child, two older sisters and 2 younger brothers. my sister and I are 18 months apart then there were 8 years and then the boys came and they are 14 months apart. When Mom and Dad were dating and talking about children, Mom said she wanted 3 girls but Dad said he wanted 2 boys. So they both got what they wanted.
    Joyce, Indiana

I am also the middle of five children. An older sister, older brother, and two younger sisters. One sister is just one year and 15 days younger than me. I often wonder what people thought when they saw my mom, six months pregnant with a 9 month old baby and two other toddlers. :# There's a 4 year break before the last child so we liked to tease her that she was the afterthought. I liked to try to get sympathy by complaining I was the "baby of the family" for the shortest amount of time but that never worked. They all frustrate the bejeevers out of me some days but I love coming from a large family.

Linda/IA
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,868 Member
    Skimmed the post. Lots of things going on with so many! Thanks for the upbeat posts DJ. I love the "words I live by" endings.

• mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    The party is over. Whew! It went really well. DGD loved her cake and her presents and seemed really happy overall. On the way here from gymnastics she told me that the best thing about her birthday was getting to spend it with her family. AWWW!

The DIL came and brought her iPad, on which she pulled up a FaceTime chat with her son (who is living with his dad while she is "recovering" from alcoholism), so that was really nice. The kids are really close to Austin. He's a really nice kid. So it was nice that he got to be part of her birthday.

What DGD wanted more than anything was a thing called a Furby. I found one on sale for $15, down from $64, so I was worried something was wrong with it, but it works just fine, and she was really thrilled with it. My son couldn't afford to buy one for her, so he was glad I did. He's a lot more grateful for the stuff I do than he used to be. He gave me a big hug and thanked me for doing so much for her birthday. I almost cried.

And the extra cake went home with them! I had a very, very small piece and no ice cream, so I didn't do too badly. That cake was three layers tall, with fudge filling and sprinkles on top. Everybody went "OOOOHHHH" when they saw it. Hubby took pictures but they didn't come out very well.

Well, I'm done for the night. I hope you all had as nice a day as I did.

Sylvia
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,122 Member
    :) Mindy, congrats on the steps you are taking toward a new healthy fit life style....you are doing a great job. If you ask anyone who has a great plan or schedule, you'll find that they started with baby steps and gradually added new pieces to the routine.

:) Becca, I watched the Long Long Trailer video you recommended and also the trailer for the movie on You Tube and loved it. I've seen the movie several times and it's funnier every time.

<3 Barbie
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member

DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC

Thank you for the Anniversary wish! Yes we are still newlyweds! I'm sorry to hear about your friends condition. I'm surprised that the Dr said anything without having results. (((hugs))) for the both of you and we will pray for her.

CarolNC - thanks for checking in I am still thinking of you and hoping that everything goes well for you.
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    So I have a question, I need to find 10-15 minutes – with room for expansion into 30 minutes for exercise (floor style – planks, stretches, leg lifts ext. ) and I just can’t get committed. So this is my schedule, now of course life takes it’s turns and I don’t always stick to this… like right now when I am writing you, but the machines are cranking away in the background… I am really a morning person, but need that prime time for the difficult embroidery projects… so where do you think I should carve out a window for my exercise… I did try in the evening before reading, but just so exhausted I found it awfully difficult.
    Kim from N. California

I agree with what Barbie said. I find it easier to commit to if I do it first thing in the morning.

Becca - your mental exercise of imagining yourself weighing less actually has scientific backup for success. Your brain can help you to accomplish your goals!

We had a good time celebrating our DGS's birthday. We are so fortunate to have these little ones in our lives. Have a great night everyone!

Mary from Minnesota
  • NO_Excuses_515
    terri_mom wrote: »

I am now asking for suggestions to support my DD in another way. She claims to have lost a pant size, announcing it on Facebook. I congratulated her, and asked her how I could be supportive from 4 hours away... I'm thinking about giving her a Debit card attached to my checking account, so I can leave it almost completely empty until she tells me her new size and how much money she needs for 1 new outfit. I can't just trust her with a credit card (she has proven unreliable in the past).

Terri in Milwaukee
    Have you thought about a Visa gift card? Downside is there is usually an activation fee you have to pay but plus is that she can use it at any store that accepts Visa.

Linda /IA
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,467 Member
    Went to ceramics and then played mahjongg

Rita - get better fast! Sending good vibes your way

Sylvia - good thoughts that those warts are begnine. Glad the party went so well. Are they still selling Furby's

Mary from MN - happy anniversary

Heather - glad you can get up to see the grands

terri - I was thinking the same thing as Rosie.

Becca - great BP. My goal weight should be 116, but I know that there's no way on this earth that I could ever get there and be healthy!

mtowne - your dinner looks delish! And so healthy, too

DJ - prayers for your friend. How horrible that she has to go thru this

Michele in NC
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,576 Member
    Barbie, thanks so much for keeping this going. <3
    desismileys_4280.gifBarbara, the SW Idaho AHMOD who wants to feel good NOW.
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,691 Member
    edited August 2015
    hmmm.... earlier??? so Barbie and anyone else out that early (so a 5:15 out of the house) are you comfortable walking that early - my neighborhood is safe but I don't know especially as it gets into winter and darker... I actually usually sleep more in the winter and walk later.... I am in a suburb area, and we walk near an open space area, but on the sidewalk.

maybe I am just a worry wart/scaredy cat
    Kim in N. Cal
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,122 Member
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    hmmm.... earlier??? so Barbie and anyone else out that early (so a 5:15 out of the house) are you comfortable walking that early - my neighborhood is safe but I don't know especially as it gets into winter and darker... I actually usually sleep more in the winter and walk later.... I am in a suburb area, and we walk near an open space area, but on the sidewalk.

maybe I am just a worry wart/scaredy cat
    Kim in N. Cal

Kim, we moved here in August so it wasn't so dark the first time I went out early....I gradually went out earlier as I got more comfortable with my surroundings. Now I have no trouble walking in the dark even in the winter when the sun doesn't come up until 8AM.....like anything else that has worked in my life---I took baby steps.