Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2105

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,581 Member
    Barbie - faaaaaaaabulouus! <3

Heather UK
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited August 2015
    Carey-Edmonton - thanks so much, I'm excited to pick the motor home up on Thursday. :)

Pip - thanks, its not THAT LONG lol I'm the youngest of six girls, my sisters all say I was spoiled, I don't see it, ha! People often thot my oldest sis was my mom, she's 13 years older than me, but always had an "older" look to her.

DJ/Heather - thank you, I think it will definitely be less work than the trailer. We will take it to the lake for a few days next week and then we leave Sept. 10th to go to his Mom's in southeast MO and stop at Branson on the way home. Jack loves looking at all the woodwork as that is his passion. :)

DJ - wow congrats on the 1/2 lb. that's great.

Barbie - thanks, I too thot it looked a lot like the pic you showed us. How long was that, this is 33 ft. We didn't want it to be too long with having to tow a vehicle behind. We have been doing this for many years also, guess as you say we'll enjoy it until we don't.

Katla - Thanks, the motor home is 33' the old trailer (actually newer than the MH) is 28 ft so over all length behind the truck is about the same and yes we will tow a smaller vehicle.

Janetr OKC
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    edited August 2015
    csofled wrote: »
    These are PowerBlock Dumbbells.They are a type of quick change dumbbell.

• Has weight range from 10-50 lbs
    • Replaces 9 pairs of dumbbells or 540 lbs of free weights

powerblock.com/prod_homeuse.php

Cheri NE Ohio

I actually looked at those online a week or so ago but was confused by all the different options. Then I decided I should start with the 5 and 10 lb weights I already have at home. Once those get too light then I'll look for something. But I'd be interested to know if you like them.

Linda/IA

Whether I like them or not it is what I have to use cause that's what we got.....having said that, so far they seem to be fine. A little to get used to the shape and size of them but I really like that to change the weight is really simple. The base piece is 5lbs, the 2 "adder" weights (which slip inside the base) are 2.5 lbs each, then each color coded plate is added to increase to 50 lbs each. So I was able to move from my standard 10 lb dumbbells to 12.5 lbs easily. I am currently doing traditional bicep curls, overhead press and squats at this weight.

They were a bit of an investment and I now remember that is the reason we kept them when we moved. Our son was into lifting when he was at home and they were part of his repertoire.

Cheri lifting in NE Ohio
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 17,034 Member
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    gqdslzovnvs1.jpg
    My siblings with others. My brother is the only boy, I am standing beside my youngest sister who is the youngest in the photo too. My oldest sister is the blonde in back with the flip and my other older sister, the grandma of my girls, is holding the violin. Yes, it was a music recital. At the time I was doing piano, as were all but my sister with the violin. I did play cello for a long time as a child and loved it.
  • miriamwithcats
    Oops, forgot that my kid sister was doing violin too, as were a few others. My oldest sister is the tallest, and the one on the far right is my other older sister.
  • mtowne002
    mtowne002 Posts: 152 Member
    csofled wrote: »
    These are PowerBlock Dumbbells.They are a type of quick change dumbbell.

• Has weight range from 10-50 lbs
    • Replaces 9 pairs of dumbbells or 540 lbs of free weights

powerblock.com/prod_homeuse.php

Cheri NE Ohio

I actually looked at those online a week or so ago but was confused by all the different options. Then I decided I should start with the 5 and 10 lb weights I already have at home. Once those get too light then I'll look for something. But I'd be interested to know if you like them.

Linda/IA

So would I!
    Mindy in Boston
  • janetr7476
    edited August 2015
    Barbie - oh I love the pic, cutest thing ever, love the hats!!!

Miriam - a musical family then :)

Janetr OKC
  • miriamwithcats
    Janet, my mom was a cellist in the Nashville Symphony, my maternal grandmother was an organist, pianist, and composer, and my maternal grandfather was a music professor at the University of Iowa. My oldest sister is the only one still active in music, she sings in a choral group, a choir and is a concert-level pianist.
  • dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    Finished Pg 60.
    Heather- I think you are due some "MeTime" . A little bit goes a long ways.

Lisa - Glad the wedding went well. The speed boat sounds fun. Enjoy your time.

DJ. - 170? you can do this. I am still working to get in onederland.

Carey - Do you enjoy hot stone massage? Thinking of hot stones just laying on my body makes me quiver. I'd like to try but am such a chicken.

Carol - Sending hugs your way. I'm sorry you are still having a tough time but you did make it to PT. I call that a win. Lean on us.

Terri - Yes, let's get there together. Smoke from Washington is making hard work difficult. 2 asthma attacks yesterday. We can do this.

Sylvia - I feel for you. I fear my son is back with "Her". I need some of Allison's staples to keep my mouth shut. Your DGD sounds sweet so glad her party went well. I am craving chocolate cake batter though. I'll drink ice water instead.

Mary - Happy Anniversary. Nice week that you have planned.

Chris in MA - "Wedding Crasher" = new friends. Everyone wins.

Okay. Yesterday was busy but I feel like I didn't accomplish enough. Not much exercise due to asthma attacks playing me out. I made a list in case DH asked me what I was doing all day.

DH put tires on my Toyota yesterday. I am now tired of thanking him especially because he drives it as much as I do especially on the days I fill up at Costco.

Off to counselling. Wish me luck. I wonder what the supervised fight will be today. Hoping I get to pick for a change.

-Sharon in Lethbridge.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Janetr- Nice motorhome!

Barbie - cute picture of you and your sister!

DJ - yeah! Sometimes it's hard to get it going downward but it looks like you're on your way!

Miriam- thanks for sharing your picture! You must have a very musical family.

Sharon - good luck with your counseling!

Thank you everyone for the happy anniversary wishes! You will probably hear little from me for the next couple of days. I haven't been to the fair in a long time and my DH hasn't been there in 50 years. He grew up on a farm near the Canadian border and I lived in the cities. I was the one that went to the fair every year. My children were in 4H.

Have a great day everyone!

Mary from Minnesota
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,691 Member
    Heather – the buffet sounds great! I’m sorry you are lukewarm but I bet they’ll love it.

Lisa – OMG that many folks and you will not be there for most of it…. Wow!

Margaret – LOVE the dog poem…. Levi is that dog through and through especially this one When it's in your best interest practice obedience.

Katla – I do have a dog and he will notify anyone and everyone that they are not to get too close, he is what is called reactive, which means he reacts with barking and general hysterical-ness to things at his eye level. And has on one occasion bitten, another dog and that dog was being very aggressive and not backing down. This is why I already walk early, so we met the least number of folks.

Carey – that is an interesting thought…
    As was the one about an appointment to do the exercise…

Barbie – cute picture!

Pip – a baby at 14 – I can not imagine!

Miriam – great picture!

Ok so I am going to work up a 10+ minute plan and see where I can fit it in… more soon..
    I did hike today and my fit bit said I had done 11,000 steps by 8:45am this morning… bringing a snack and extra water, so that is good, but still not the “right” snack – I have tried nuts, a breakfast bar and neither is solving the” I think I could eat the car door I’m so hungry” Did really well with the fiber brownie thingie that one of you shared the recipe for (Michele???) but it called for a no-fat or no sugar brownie mix and I have not been able to find one…I need to look online.
    I have a client that owns a pool installation company and I embroider his (and his employees) shirts for him. So today he was supposed to come over and drop off some shirts, he called he was running late, the tattoo artist doing his permanent makeup was running late. He has permanent blue eye liner – and He wants to know what I think…. Uh, ummm, uh, well, I think I would not want to commit to blue everyday…. Why do people ask such questions? I don’t really care what he does, but I don’t really want to have to give my opinion.

August Goals:
    Walk everyday –try to hit 180 miles, august 25 145 miles so far
    1 plank every day and log here – goal more then 19
    Log everyday –
    Eat mindfully-
    Weekly fun things –
    W1 – Visiting with niece Emily - a trip to SF
    W2 – BFF came for 2 days and a dinner party
    W3 – went to a banjo band concert – a first for me
    W4 – Dinner out with friends, hiked with my hiking group
    Kim from N. California
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,225 Member
    Hi all. So the week’s events went well. The limo ride for dinner was a complete surprise for DD#2. Can you imagine a limo to longhorn steakhouse? It was really fun and even more entertaining because when we were done with dinner and needed to call the driver back to get us, DH kept calling some banker at Wells Fargo and leaving him messages saying we were reading to get picked up. He called 3 times and finally I demanded to see the card….ooops I bet that banker was wondering who the **** this guy calling him was when he got to work the next day!

Drop off at college went uneventfully other than the 50 texts DD#2 sent after we left. She was terrified. But she’s having fun with all the orientation activities. Classes start tomorrow so we will see how she feels then! We are empty nesters! HOORAY!!!!!

DH starts his part time job changing oil and tires at Walmart tonight. Don’t know if I told you; his jeep parts inventory was getting way expensive so I said “get a second job!” and he did! The hours aren’t bad: Monday and Tuesday 5:30-8:30 then 4 hours during the day Saturday.

My new co-worker started yesterday and I am so glad to have her, but OMG the learning curve! Yesterday and today I came home feeling like I got hit by a truck.

The plumber finally got the ordered parts and finished out kitchen plumbing, and the main guy from the remodel place will come tomorrow to see about scheduling finish work. One step at a time!

DJ sending good thoughts to your friend!

LIndaIA: AARP magazine

Sylvia: glad the party went well. I can’t believe Furbies are still around!

Mary MN: happy anniversary! Enjoy the fair

Gloria: great news on the weight loss!

Joyce: your garage door story sounds a lot like my kitchen sink story! Well you also need one of these, two of these, oh, yeah, and one of those. Doesn’t it just come as a “sink”?

Lisa: great photo! Thanks for sharing!

Margaret: I have a friend whose doctor told her if she didn’t have the colonoscopy, the dr would not be her dr anymore!

Terri: glad you avoided the frosted flakes!

Rita: hi…were you sick? Glad to see you write that you are feeling better

Barbie: adorable!

Miriam: what a great photo!

OK off to get some exercise in. I’m up to 8500 steps and cut my calories a little to 1650 but still nothing is leaving! Boooooo Take care, Meg from Omaha where it feels fall-like!

• pipcd34
  • pipcd34
    k99ahd29392r.jpg

Elevation we will b riding on both days
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    Elevation we will b riding on both days

Wow! That looks treacherous! Iron woman!

Mary from Minnesota
  • pipcd34
    fancy - lmao!
  • janetr7476
    edited August 2015
    Mary - thanks, I think we will enjoy the motor home. Have a terrific time this weekend. We celebrate our 6th anniversary in October.

Janetr OKC
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,122 Member
    :) Janetr, our Holiday Rambler Admiral was 30 feet long and plenty of room for both of us and the two poodles and two cats.

:) Miriam, that's a beautiful picture of you and your musical siblings and friends. I played violin from 4th grade to the end of high school and still have my violin although I haven't played it in decades.

:) Sharon, I wish you the best on your counseling

:) Mary, have fun at the fair.

:) Kim, Brandy, my black poodle, barks at everything so I love walking her extremely early in the morning when there are no people, cars, or other dogs around. I always walk her first and take the more mellow, Sasha, later.

:) Meg, enjoy your empty nest.

:) Pip, that ride looks like a killer, but I know you are up to the challenge.

:) I went for my bone density scan....I'll see the doctor about the results next month

<3 Barbie

• janetr7476
    Barbie, yes nice size. We actually went to look at a used 30' and it had sold on Saturday. They drove off in it while we were looking at this one.

Janetr OKC