drkatiebug Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Neautiful necklace, Sylvia.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,374 Member
    Options
    terri - so sorry for your dad. What a bruise! Hope he heals real fast

pip - bummer you can't get a shot

Becca - You make me marvel at how well you accept yourself. Truly inspirational. Happy anniversary! What a lovely bride you were. What a neat dress. Love it! Lovely family you have there

Sylvia - no matter how small the NSV, it's still humongous. What a neat necklace

Michele in NC
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Sylvia - that is a terrific NSV, what a beautiful and very special necklace. Way to go!!!

Carol in NC - glad you are "hangin in" :) Hold on it WILL get better.

Janetr OKC
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Sylvia-you look awesome and so does your necklace!

Susan-Nick same you should ride down with me.

Have a great night everyone!

Mary from Minnesota
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Terri: Poor dad. Have you ever tried arnica gel on bruises? You can find it at health food stores. My experience is that it really accelerates healing.

Becca: Happy 31st to you two. Love the pix.

Heather: I looked at your first choice hotel, and now have a keen desire to visit London and stay at the St. Pancras Renaissance. Magnificent! Will start to collect and horde Marriott points. Proud of you for making arrangements that will make your trip more comfortable.

Minnesota Ladies: Hope your meet up was fun.

Pip: Take care with the big ride.

Friends, I'm late for bed, and my four-legged alarm will go off at 4:45 tomorrow. Sweet dreams to all.

Rori
    Colorado Foothills
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Back from the mini vacation - The weather didn't co-operate - my shorts and tank top stayed in the suitcase. And long weekend at the hot springs ...well some people enjoyed them. DH doesn't seem to think we need to book or make reservations so..... didn't get to use my hotel points because we didn't book ahead.... oh well....

Of to bed - work tomorrow.

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewn
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Mary the Insomniac & Cheri in Hot NE OH: I am sorry you're having trouble sleeping. I don't have any expertise to share regarding insomnia, but I've had sleep "issues" the past year or two that were lifestyle problems. I've been doing somewhat better since setting a sleep goal and being a real witch if I'm disturbed. I hope you each find a way to get the rest you need. :flowerforyou:

Penny at the Pole: You live an adventurous life! I hope you are able to stay out from under the guardrail and are warm and cozy indoors. Do you have a gym nearby or home exercise equipment to help stay active? :huh:

Heather: I hope your DDIL is better each day and testing brings good news. :heart:

Maryann in MI: I hope you have a good first day at school with at least one funny incident to tell us about. :flowerforyou:

Beth: WTG on the new goals! :bigsmile:

MNMargaret: Enjoy your time with Gayle and Mary. On the subject of alcohol, the person drinking has to make the decision to stop, and that is difficult for those who love that drinker and want to make the decision for them. I think it is substantially similar to our health journey here. This journey may even be a little harder because complete abstinence from eating is not possible and still live. We must learn how to be moderate. Moderation is not realistically possible for a person who is addicted to a substance, in my experience. :ohwell:

Mikesmom: Happy Anniversary! Congratulations on your first full year of logging. :flowerforyou:

Dr. Katie: Congratulations on the loss! :drinker:

Joyce: You and Charlie remain in my prayers. :heart:

Sylvia: WOW! You look great in the necklace. :flowerforyou:

Terri: Rori is right about arnica. A yoga friend recommended it to me when I had a nasty pain in my foot, and it was amazing at taking away the pain. We found it at Walgreens, and I suspect many other stores carry it, too. :bigsmile:

I'm two thirds of the way to DD's house and will be there tomorrow. Yay! (Just in the nick of time to take the other grandma to the airport.) DD can't do it because she has to work. I've texted and emailed back and forth with DSIL's mom, but haven't actually seen her since the wedding almost 5 years ago. It has been a long day of driving and I'm done in. I'm planning on hopping into bed so that I can be ready for driving most of the day tomorrow. :yawn:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

September Goals :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Becca- Happy Anniversary! Have a great time celebrating! What a cute couple!

Terri- I hate to see what the other guy looks like!

Katla- when you set that sleep number is that a time that you go to bed in a time that you get up, or is it a certain number of hours in bed? Or, do you stay in bed until you get the correct number of hours?

We will let you know how our get together goes! Have a great night everyone!

Mary from Minnesota
  • maeadair
    maeadair Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    WOW! I thought I caught up last night in reading the posts here....I return to type tonight and there are another 3 pages! This is a prolific group, not sure how well I will do keeping up!?
    GAYLE - I am in Maine and am 60 yrs. old. I last saw my PCP 1st of July and will see him again in late Oct./early Nov. I have to have PT/INR blood test and see him before I can refill my Coumadin. He filled out the "Functional Capacity" forms on last visit (2nd time) and sent in with my SSD appeal after 2nd denial. The sent a letter stating will have a Face to Face review in about 18 - 36 months! WHAT THE HECK! Cannot get INS. through ObamaCare cause have not worked in past year to have taxes to use as premium offset. I still have a little in my retirement fund and a Life Ins. Policy so do not qualify for assistance. Work hard at good job (RN) for years and this is what you get! You have to lose everything you ever worked for before can get help; just don't get sick before you retire in this country!!!! Enough, thinking about it just agitates me ! DEEP BREATH!
    BARBIE - Yes, past few yrs. have been a trial and I gained back the 62# I lost. :D I did well when originally here. I know it will be slow this time due to medical issues, but I plan to do what I can when I can.
    Glad you got to walk. Do not push beyond your limits, give self time to heal.
    I love your animations, where do you get them? You are a positive inspiring force here, thank you. :)
    KAYAK - Your Zucchini item sounds delish! I make a carrot&/or zucchini patty that came from my son's preschool cookbook (he is 29) that we like.
    JOYCE - You have been dealing with a lot. Prayers for you and Hubby. Remember the staff is there to care for Charlie and encourage him to do what he can and you can give moral support. You need to care for yourself or you will not be any good to anyone. Glad family has been there "loving on you"!
    My PCP said we did the "poor man's tilt table test" and I failed. Stated "I will not put you through distress of the REAL test!"
    Rest Hugs
    MICHELLE IN NC - I love my mandolin but tomatoes can not be too soft or they just mush. Mine has multiple blades: with varying thickness, shreds coarse and fine, Juliennes, etc. and I love it.
    Pumpkin brownies sound delicious.
    I agree being 1 1/2 hrs. late is rude. More than 10 minutes late warrants a call.
    LINDA - This is a prolific group. I ? if I will be able to keep up, but I will try. It was nice that you took your parent's to the game. Sorry it put more stress on you.
    It sounds like you had a nice visit with your daughter. Thanksgiving will be here before you know.
    ELAINE - MFP does have a learning curve, but once you get your frequent used foods list and some 'meals' and 'recipes' it is a lot easier. How nice to be able to walk from work. My Mom walked home approx. 2 miles every night come rain/shine/heat/snow and freeze back in the day. Two- three nights /week she would pick up a bag of groceries on her way home.
    BETH - Mom's/Wives' always have to have broad shoulders. Love the non verbal apology.
    I sort my Fridge and Pantry then Son redoes it....forgetting Mom is only 5'1". It is an adjustment having him here and now moving in his significant other and her son; I am so used to being independent and on my own. Such is life!
    HEATHER - Two liters of urine is a lot! When I was 1st in Nursing school it was policy to not remove more than 800cc(ml) at a time. You had to let the patient rest and body adjust for at least 30 mins. before remove another 800cc.... and so on. I am sure she was very uncomfortable. It is good you were able to help out. They are lucky to have you. Hope all continues to go well and she is home soon.
    Sometimes just letting them express their feelings/emotions and their knowing you are there with "Grammie" hugs and love is what they need.
    DJ - Glad you had indoor space for cookout.
    KATLA - Safe travels.
    MARY MN- Hope you will be surprised and Hubby will have it all painted when you get home. Thoughts and prayers for your sister with hip surgery.
    GRANDMALLIE - My Mom lived alone and was 3 towns over so when visited each week she would talk your ear off! LOL Usually same stories repeated. It was just nice to spend time with her though; I so miss those stories.
    Peach ice cream and berries, lucky Daughter.
    YVONNE - Sorry not feeling well. Any Gatorade is Yuck to me! Rest and keep hydrated. Hope feel betersoon.
    ANNIE - Night sweats are terrible! I use 'cooler packs' in pillowcase to help cool off. I put one on back of neck, one alternate either side of face and forehead, and one on feet. My AP (pulse) goes up with heat and B/P drops so I stay out of heat. No HRT either due to history of PEs/blood clots. Stay cool.
    MARYANN - First time with MFP I did exercise videos, especially 'PLANKS' and Stability ball Push Ups for my abdomen. My Favorite exercise was 'walking' with LESLIE SANSONE videos. Posture while walking strengthens your core which helps decrease weight around the middle. Hope you find what works for you.
    MICHELLE - I notice you cook a lot, how do you do it? You must have awesome will power. I would have to have some of everything after smelling it cook.
    CHERI - Nice quote. Inspiring. :-)
    JANET - Very thoughtful of you to do the extra meals. The heat really can cause havoc with respiratory patients.
    CHRIS - Happy MFP Anniversary! Going from size 14 -8 is AWESOME! Congratulations.

Well folks, it is getting late and time or these old bones to go lie down and try to rest. Night All.
  • gawworthington
    gawworthington Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    I am an insomniac too :/ I have done better sleeping with weight loss and CPAP oh and nose surgery - deviated septum and a cyst in the sinus last March has helped a lot too!!!
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,768 Member
    Options
    wow trying to keep up with y'all is a project...
    Joyce~ so sorry that you are going through such a hard time.. praying that you find peace and take everything if needed an hour at a time...
    Becca~ Happy Anniversary
    was bushed last night long and hard day at work so came home and passed out..left foot bothering me this morning so I iced it.. and wont try any walking today...
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Good to read that so many of us have lost so much weight! We ROCK! Congratulations are also in order to those of us (you) who have lost weight and then kept it off!
    pwrfl1 wrote: »
    And at 51 years old still thinks he's in as good of fitness as college , but us wives know better! Lol

Susan / MN
    Yes, Susan. Wives know better.

My husband and I are going to a highschool classmate's 60th birthday party next weekend. Our friend (or probably his wife) has decided on a Oscars Gala theme. When we enquired about the dress code she replied, "Less is not more." I'll wear that champagne-colored gown some of you have seen earlier, and those outrageous shoes. But even for the Oscars, a tie and tails is over the top, so my husband gets to pull out his rarely used tuxedo.

He's got a nice white shirt to go with it, with flat pleats down the front, all sober and proper — until he takes the tuxedo jacket off. Then you see that the back and sleeves of that shirt are covered with colorful cartoon frogs jumping off diving boards and lounging under parasols. It's just his style.

Anyway, I suggested it might be a good idea to try the tux and the shirt on, just to check that they were ... eh hmm ... comfortable. "No problem," he said. And the shirt was no problem. And the jacket wasn't much of a problem. But the trousers... He needed about three more inches in the waist! "That's strange," he said. smiley-confused013.gif

Katla – No, I don't have any fitness equipment at home. Most of the time I can get out jogging, even in the winter. Sure, it's dark, and sure there are places I don't go because there might be polar bears, but as long as I stay in the center of town it's no problem. The gym is wa-a-a-ay on the other side of town, almost exactly 1 mile away. smiley-laughing014.gif

For anyone who'd like to see my "exotic" home, I'm posting a link to a webcamera that shows a 360 degree panorama of the town. Right now in early September it doesn't matter much what time you look because even though the sun goes down, it doesn't really get very dark at night yet. Come back in mid-December and it won't matter when you look because it never gets light.
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Penny, I loved the 360 view of your town. Amazing!
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Okay, just a giggle for your Wednesday morning (afternoon... evening) and because life in a small town is ALWAYS interesting...

The replacement we hired for me is apparently under investigation by her previous company for theft of $8,000 or so. We found this out because the general manager got an anonymous phone call this weekend stating this. We did some calling, and spoke to one of her references, who is a police lieutenant in town. She said they had not been asked to investigate, and that this gal is a good risk, she's solid and down-to-earth.

Come to find out later in the day that my possible replacement IS under internal investigation at her last company for theft (I'm still saying she's innocent until proven guilty) and that she is actually filing charges against an ex-girlfriend for defamation of character, connected with that same theft investigation. Did I mention she's a lesbian? Not that I care--her lifestyle and choice of partner is her business. I knew when I met her she was gay, but it didn't affect the decision to hire her.

However, it gets better.

A few weeks after I arrived, one of our worst cooks was hired away by a competing restaurant... which just allowed me to push for higher wages for all my cooks, in order to stay competitive in the market. However, within a month after he started for the competition, he either quit or was fired (stories differ).

Per my replacement candidate, the cook in question is the ex-husband of the current girlfriend who lives with her. And he quit at the other restaurant in order to minimize how much child support he must pay for his two children--who he currently pays $85 a month for in child support. The oldest child is autistic. He stopped into the restaurant and told me without prompting that this is exactly why he quit the other place. As if I would be proud of him for that decision. He never mentioned that his ex-wife decided she was a lesbian while leaving him.

Last, but not least, the police lieutenant my GM spoke to is, apparently, ALSO an ex-girlfriend of my replacement manager.

I'm going to go bang my head up against a wall until I feel better now. I don't even watch soap operas, but apparently I live in one.

Just thought y'all could use a mid-week giggle. I'm going to go take a shower now and go to work.

Oh, and it's possible the restaurant will be affected by a scheduled power outage from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. today. We're right on the edge of the affected zone. You'll pardon the sentiment, but I'm kinda hoping it's true.

Lisa in West Texas
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    Lisa, Lisa, Lisa thank you so much for your version of Days of Your Lives! What a story you have given us to enjoy.

Thanks for the morning chuckle! :)

Cheri
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,080 Member
    Options
    I am currently reading a book called Brain Maker by David Perlmutter. His premise is that the bacteria in your gut can have tremendous effect on your overall health and what you eat. . Some bacteria are better at promoting health than others. I have noticed since I changed my diet I do have fewer cravings, have fewer colds even in the face of negative stress, and feel better overall.

The change in my diet is I eat a diet high in fiber (Lots of veggies the more bitter the better bring on those Brussel sprouts) , fats that includes nuts, avocados, butter coconut olive oil, fermented foods like Kombucha and yogurt with no sugar, little fried food (French fries actually a bad after taste for me now), no artificial sweeteners, avoid high fructose corn syrup products, mostly whole grain, and since I rarely eat fish I do supplement with fish oil, and read labels so I know what is going into me. I do still sometime eat some foods with sugar just not as often and no longer binge on therm. This diet fits with building the healthy bacteria he discussed in the book.

Looking forward to seeing Gayle and Mary at noon.

:heart: MNMargaret

• Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Oh my Lisa... Life is extra spicy in small towns. And everybody can get in on the fun, too because there are few enough people that you have at least a nodding acquaintance with every one of them.

Like when I was at the gym today and the only other person there was a man I know has been in prison for embezzlement.

Have a great time Minnesota girls! If you see any sumacs, please wave at them for me!
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,771 Member
    Options
    Penny ... What a colorful town! Beautiful!

Lisa ... Just shaking my head ...

Beth
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,316 Member
    Options
    Lisa - loving the soap opera!

Penny - 360º amazing! Now I know what I'm in for next June! What is the industry?

Well, today I got my contract to sign for selling my rental PLUS a whole lot of STUPID solicitor questions. :sad: I absolutely HATE forms and right now I'm all churned up and panicky. I know they are just going through the motions, but some of the questions drive you NUTS! :sad: Just hope it all goes through hitch free.

Haven't heard anything new from London. I don't want to keep asking. :ohwell: She texted yesterday that they had to do more checks on the baby. :*:(

Joyce - hope all your problems with rehab get sorted soon. You don't need all that money/insurance worry on top of everything else. At least my DDIL's treatment has all been free on the NHS. She is missing work though which is no small thing when you are self employed. They were trying to save up for when she has the baby.

I'm not going to look at those legal forms today. Going to read my book called How We Die instead - much more cheerful. I am on the chapter about cardiac arrest. :#

Pip - before I forget, HAVE A WONDERFUL RIDE! :flowerforyou:

Michele - before I forget, I'm wishing Vince a successful procedure next week. :flowerforyou: May everything go according to plan.

Oh well, off to read my cheery book. :ohwell:

Heather with the heating on in Hampshire UK