WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR SEPTEMBER 2015

Options

Replies

• terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Happy Wednesday ! ! !

Becca – You crack me up, as usual. I’m proud to call you my friend ! ! ! // Happy Anniversary !

Gayle – I live very near to Milwaukee (West Allis). My daughter lives in Winona MN. She is currently contemplating a CNA job in St. Charles MN, but is worried about driving the bluffs in the winter.

Joyce – Hugs and serenity. And many more prayers.

Sylvia – congrats on the nsv and beautiful necklace. Is that a garnet?

Pip – Enjoy your carbs. Glad you are managing your pain. Enjoy the ride ! ! !

Carol – Hugs !

Rori, Katla
    – thanks for the suggestion of arnica. I will look into it today after work. It is probably something I should keep stocked, since DS is “a broken bone waiting to happen”.

Lisa – That is quite the soap opera you are living. I hope it all settles in and under control.

So the story about my Dad is
    : He went to an afternoon movie with a co-worker that is on medical leave right now (for his heart). They bought the tickets, order the popcorn, pop, and pizza, and were walking up the steps to their seats when his knee buckled and he fell face first into the metal corner of the step, then bounced and hit it again. No concussion, several stitches just above his eyebrow, and by the time I got home last night is was completely black and swollen shut. Plus his knee hurts, so he can’t volunteer for the Honor Flight with us (makes him very sad). No pain meds, but anti-biotics, because who knows what bacteria were on that step. He is a trooper, so he is back to work today already, but will need new glasses because they broke, too. I helped him last night with supper, because the co-worker, after taking Dad to Urgent, went back to the theater, watched the movie, ate the pizza, then returned to take my Dad home after his appointment. I also made some ginger snaps and chocolate chip cookies for Dad and DS. I failed at ignoring the cookies, so I hope I have more strength tonight, since I will stay home instead of going to bowling and Big Lots.

Tonight DS has his second-ever Optometry appointment. During this past baseball season, he had been hitting the ball more and more to the right, including too many foul balls, so we are going to make sure he is seeing ok, and then start perfecting his left-hand batting at the indoor cages. His first-ever Optometry appointment was in first grade, to confirm that he is color-blind. This is a revelation that he finally admitted out loud to his science teacher, so he gets to always buddy-up with his friend who is not color-blind, because in Honors Chemistry, seeing colors apparently is important (I didn’t know, but whatever).

I was able to leave early for work again today, so I already got 15 minutes on the exercise bike. But, something happened to my phone, and all my Pandora favorites have been erased, so now I need to start over. I used “sounds of nature” to fall asleep last night – that was a nice change.

Hugs for Everyone ! ! !

Terri in Milwaukee
  • pwrfl1
    pwrfl1 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    It's my first weeks weighing today. Although I've been logging for some time, I was not full on with the mfp program and did not weigh ...well last week enough was enough...I was tired of each month nothing major happening on my clothing sizes, so I broke out an old and sometimes wonky scale. ( my dh swears it's 30 pounds off ...are you kidding me. ? ). Anyways, it's a dial type scale and if I wiggle or step differently sometimes it's different reading. WELL, after getting on and off the darn thing 10 or so times....I've lost an Amazing 8 pounds ? !!

Susan, Hoping the scale is right, MN
  • SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Hi my friends... back from camping and crazy busy at the moment. I'll just mark my spot and hope that one day soon I'll catch up. :smile:

Carey-Edmonton
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Had a very nteresting night last night. I had to go to Walmart to get carrots since they didn't have exactall wanted when my son n law went shopping for me. Walmart is a smart cookie. They put the bakery right in front of the produce section where all us people who are trying to get a handle on our wieght go to. But they pump the smells from the bakery all through the stores. So the bakery starts calling my name. So I just go and 'look" well of a sudden the chocolate fudge iced and he cream cheese iced brownies are really calling my name. Then the craziest thing starts happening. There is such a ruckus between the brownies fighting over which brownie would get in my cart first. Then the cookies start rooting for the fudge iced and the cupcakes are rooting for the cream cheese. It sounded like a herd of elephants coming over but about 6 dozen of those famous Walmart ladies we all see on face book are all running over. By this time security has been called. So I just calmly go over and get my carrots and try to sneak back to retrieve my cart. I let security and housekeeping deal with all the mess back in the bakery. When I check out the intercom comes on and says that 'the lady in aisle 12, me, has just won the Walmart award for encouraging the most sales in the bakery department in one day'. Balloons, streamers, everything. I thought they were going t call our loco news but I slipped out. Why didn't I go to the self serve aisle? So I get my purchases home and collapse on the couch and the box says cream cheese iced brownie. Since I am such a good swerving watcher, I turn it over and it says serving size 1 brownie. The box does not say brownies but brownie so I get my forgo and eat it although I thought I'd strange that it had marking on the icing that looked like it was scored for 8. So I enjoyed my brownie. Now I was stuffed and had no place left in my stomach for supper. Also had to take an extra MAelatonin because I couldn't sleep. Charlie is his usual stubborn self but OK this morning.

Joyce, Indiana
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,649 Member
    Options
    morning peepsters -

the day is getting closerrrrrrr.........

whippet - yeayyy!!!!! i love your necklace! purdyyyyy.....
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Morning Ladies,

Chris, congrats on a great year and enjoy the year to come. Good luck with the Strong Lifts. It does wonders.

Yvonne, glad you are feeling a bit better. Tracking is good even if you aren’t concerned about calories, which I wouldn’t be either.

DrKatie, Happy Dancing with you or well I guess I should say “for you”. Congrats!!!! I wonder where they go when we lose them??? Keep up the great work.

Joyce, how frustrating for you. Hang in there and just don’t throw anything too expensive. ((((Hugs))))

Beth, you made it sound like you didn’t exercise at all. Now we find out that you just don’t do a certain type of exercise. No wonder you are able to keep losing, cause your body doesn’t know the difference in one exercise or another. Lol Keep up the good work.

Linda, you didn’t tell us if your Mom had a good time at the game?? Just curious.  You know you can vent here any time and there is always room on the pile for a few more. Depending on how many calories you are eating for your all day snacking, I’d say just find something substantial that is not too much over 100 calories. There are lots of protein bars and things that could work. Fruit is always good. Maybe some of those frozen grapes in a baggie? I used to do PB&J before I found out how many calories it had. 

Rita, no problem with the long post. We love to hear from you. Just come back more often.

Heather, when you talked about the hotel choices, I was thinking the same thing; you won’t be in the room long enough to warrant spending a ton on the room. I’d save it for another time. I think it’s great that you made the decision to stay in a hotel rather than somewhere you didn’t want to stay. You just have a good time.

Rosi, glad you are back and getting back on track. That is the nice thing about every day being a new day.

Mindy, glad the new job is going well. It will take a little time to adjust to your new schedule and physical demands. Take care.

Terri, so glad you had a marvelous time at the Dells, especially since the boys were trying to put a damper on things. Isn’t it fun to be silly and laugh a lot? Okay, who hit your Dad? Bless his heart, I’m just glad it wasn’t worse.

Janetr, where/how do you set up MFP to not add exercise calories back?

Michele, I saw that cartoon with the tan line of the droopy boobs. It was funny!

Becca, happy anniversary!!! And many more.

Pat, I love that tshirt! 

Joyce, good information about Medicare supplement vs. Advantage Plans. Glad I have a supplement. Now about that brownie(s), with what all you are going through I think we’ll just over look it this one time. Just don’t let it happen again! I feel a little sick just thinking about it.

Pip, sorry you don’t get a shot for the ride, but glad it doesn’t seem any worse while you are riding. You don’t have to break any records so just enjoy the ride.

Sylvia, a huge CONGRATS on the necklace!!! Just look at it on that bony neck, and I love that smile.

CarolNC, thanks for the short note. I sure hope you are seeing improvement each day? (((Hugs)))

Katla, please stay safe and have a great visit.

Allison, I hope your foot feels better real soon.

Penny, have a ball at the Oscar Party. That sounds like fun. DH’s shirt sounds too cool. Ya got me laffin’ at the story about him trying on the pants. LOL Thanks for posting the web site to see where you live. Very interesting!!

Lisa, you do live in a Soap Opera! OMG what wild stories and almost impossible to ever determine what if any of it is true? Yeppers, some time off today might not be all bad.

MNMargaret, interesting info on the diet. Have fun with the girls.

welcome.gif to any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

I don’t think I posted last night, thus the long post today. When I got to Line Dance class yesterday the instructor was just saying that the AC was not working so if anyone wanted to leave, she understood. Not one person left. There were a couple of fans set up, for what that was worth. Anyway, it really wasn’t unbearable. I did better than I’ve done before but then figured out why. Because of the heat, she was picking out slower and easier dances. Oh well, I felt pretty good about my performance, anyway. I stayed up late watching the Williams sisters play each other in tennis. Very good match.

I hope all of you have a healthy and happy day. rose.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Congratulations and deepest sympathy on getting the contract for the sale of your rental, Heather. I also hate that aberrant form of English we call Legalese. And I say that even though my daughter's fiancé is in law.

What is the industry? Hmm... If you're referring to the chimney spewing steam (mostly) into the clear arctic air, that's the power plant, our sole source of electricity and heat. If anything goes wrong with it, we all have to be evacuated.

If you're referring to the aerial cableways, those are remnants of the coal mining era, which lasted from 1906 to last week or so. The bottom has gone out of the coal market and the mining company is downsizing from 400 employees to about 50. In a town of 2000 people, that's going to make a big difference.

If you're asking what our current industry is, look at the rest of the town and you'll see hotels, snowmobile rental places, museums, several piers, the airport off in the distance - all signs of our tourist industry, one of our last best hopes. That means YOU next June. Guess how welcome you will be!
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Penny - Beautiful town, thanks for sharing.

DJ - Oops, I guess the option for not adding your exercise calories in is for Premium Membership only. Sorry, guess I'd forgotten that.

• PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,351 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm hopping onto this discussion board late, but better late than never! I hope everyone is doing well. I'll have to go back and read TWENTY-TWO pages of posts so I can get to know you all better but don't have time right now since I'm at work! (but currently on break *smile*).

My September Goals are:

1. Track my food religiously, beginning today.
    2. Beginning today, I will incorporate exercise into my weekly routine, at least 3 days a week to begin.
    3. Slowly wean myself off sugar.
    4. Drink nine 8-oz glasses of water daily
    5. Try one new vegetable or vegetable recipe each week.
    6. Get my sewing room set up
    7. Take "me" time at the end of each day to reflect on my blessings and write in my Gratitude Journal

Have a wonderful day ladies!
  • miakoda40
    miakoda40 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Barbie from beautiful NW Washington -
    barbiecat wrote: »
    Katla, whenever I see a disabled or wrecked vehicle while traveling, I always pat my vehicle on the dashboard and say to it "Thank you for keeping us safe"

LOL! I do that too! DH always shakes his head when I do it and tells me the car can’t hear me. He is so literal.

=====
    Had a fun time blowing glass this past Sunday. However, I was trying a new technique and accidently burned a knuckle. The resulting blister finally went down overnight, but it still hurts. Most burns I get only hurt for a few hours so I’m feeling a bit whiny. Oh well, it’s nothing serious. Cuts and burns are common events with this hobby.

I have to do a load of laundry tonight and clean the cat box. Then I will be ready to pack tomorrow. I shopped for a resistance band on Monday so I will pack it and get in some exercises besides walking while I am on vacation.

I’m getting excited. I’ll be leaving after work tomorrow. My friend emailed me that she got us tickets for a pirate ship ride in St. Augustine for Saturday evening. Avast me hearties. Aaaarrrrgggghhhh.

Mia in MI

September goals:
    Continue to honestly log food every day
    Weigh and measure all food that I prepare at home
    Get at least 15 min per day of aerobic exercise
    64 oz. water (or what counts as water for my program) daily
    [/color
  • pipcd34
    Options
    damnit - believe u me, i don't plan on breaking any record, lolol, i do plan on trying to complete both days tho.
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    When I took the kids to school my son was on his way to the emergency room. They think he has yet another lung infection. After I dropped off the kids and did my 2 mile walk with my friend I stopped at the hospital to check on him. They gave him some kind of special breathing treatment plus some other IV meds and he was a lot more comfortable. They were waiting for somebody to read the X-rays when I left. I'll go back after lunch and see how he's doing before I go get the kids from school. There is a good chance the kids will be spending the night at my house tonight, so I'd better get some groceries.

Gotta run. I hope you are all having a great day.

Sylvia
  • QuilterLisa
    QuilterLisa Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am a newbie here and looking forward to connecting. I will be 50 next year but am fully through menopause. My waist has expanded, gained weight, etc. planning to lose 50 lbs. need to think about my goals....
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Sylvia...I sincerely hope your feels better soon. Your grands are sure fortunate that they have you in their lives. Love the necklace and the beautiful smile of the woman who is wearing it.
    Pippy Poop...have a great ride. I truely admire your spirit and determination. I hope your surgery goes well and that you will make a full recovery.
    Penny at the Pole...thank you so much for the link to the webcam. I can't imagine living in such a place. It looks enchanted. I picture of your husband's tux shirt would be great. I like his sense of humor. On second thought, send us a picture of the both of you all dolled up for Oscar night. I friend of mine threw a similar type party where we all got dressed up. It was alot of fun to bring out the fancy duds. Have a ball!
    Lisa...your living in Texas Peyton Place. Sometimes truth is better than fiction.
    Joyce...Many, many hugs for your struggles.
    Heather...I hope all goes well for your DDIL. Prayers going your way.
    Alison...hang in there.
    Becca...Happy Anniversary! Love the wedding dress and the ingenuity to fashion it out of a table cloth. Your head piece was awesome.
    Teri...Hope your father heals quickly. Hopefully it looks worse than it really is. I can't believe his friend went back to the movies and ate all the goodies.

That is all I can remembe to comment on although you are all in my thoughts.

Began the stronglifts on Monday and I am so sore!! Hopefully that's normal and I will get used to lifting soon. I will admit that I layed in bed this morning after the alarm went off dreading those squats. I never felt this way when I was hitting the elliptical at that hour. But I did it. Hopefully I will learn to enjoy it like I learned to enjoy the elliptical, but right now it's just not fun.

Have a good day everyone.
    Chris in sunny, hot MA
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,316 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Sylvia - hope all settles down soon. <3

Mia - I adore glass and have watched many blowers. Never done it though. :flowerforyou:

Penny - can't wait! Sorry about the mining. That sounds devastating for such a small community. I wish we had more time on land, rather than just day trips. Cruising is not really my thing, I prefer to do places in depth, learning about the economy, history etc and meeting the people, but I didn't know how else to see that part of the world.

Joyce - great story! Anyone told you you could write a book?! :laugh: We forgive you for eating the 1 brownie.

Great British Bake Off tonight. Yeah! <3

Just had delicious pork fillet Chinese stir fry. Counted 375 cals. Put allspice in it instead of Chinese 5 spice by mistake, but DH didn't notice. :bigsmile: Gave him lots of rice and me a tblsp.

Enjoying my book about dying. :love: I'm on old age now. Done strokes this pm. When I was in my early 30s I did think about retraining to be a doctor. Would have meant starting from scratch, so I never did it. A woman who lived nearby did go through with it, but her husband earned a great deal more money than mine and she could afford a nanny. I have never lost my fascination with physiology.

Love Heather x x UK

PS DJ and Rori - yes, I decided I would only be there to put my head on the pillow! I will be almost opposite it though! :laugh: The trouble was, I couldn't see the point of staying in the new extension, but the old part is super expensive for one person. Bit sad though. Will do it one day. And enjoy all the treats! The building, a very fine national treasure, was converted a few years ago. Before they did it I went on a tour. Amazing mosaics and Victorian marvels! :love: A "Ladies Smoking Room". :noway:
  • ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Heather - I'm voting for the heritage hotel. I always prefer a hotel with character if I can afford it!

drkatiebug - Woohoo, congratulations on that pound and a half!

Becca - I love the photo of your sisters and your dad. You all have such big smiles!

Joyce - Hope you enjoyed every bite of that brownie. No sense in beating yourself up over a bad choice. Besides, the brownie had it coming for making such a scene in Walmart.

Sylvia - The necklace is beautiful, and you have a lovely slim neck.

Lisa - It sounds like you could write a soap opera about that restaurant.

I'm sitting upright, working all day, and eating solid food. Hooray for progress! As I expected, once I started keeping down water and fluids the four-pound weight loss went away, but I did end up with a small loss at this week's weigh-in. I'm eating carefully, both because of the still-sensitive tummy and because I'm still too weak to exercise right now.

-Yvonne in TX
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,351 Member
    Options
    Lagopus wrote: »

For anyone who'd like to see my "exotic" home, I'm posting a link to a webcamera that shows a 360 degree panorama of the town. Right now in early September it doesn't matter much what time you look because even though the sun goes down, it doesn't really get very dark at night yet. Come back in mid-December and it won't matter when you look because it never gets light.

Thank you so much for posting your link! That is beautiful to see. The very coolest thing I've seen all day.
  • miakoda40
    miakoda40 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Sylvia – Hooray for being able to wear jewelry that was once too tight/small. That is a lovely NSV.

====
    I have finally caught up to all the posts. Whew! It’s a lot to read when you skip reading for the 3 day weekend. However, I enjoyed my weekend off and I don’t like to miss out on all the doings here so it was worth it.

Mia in MI

September goals:
    Continue to honestly log food every day
    Weigh and measure all food that I prepare at home
    Get at least 15 min per day of aerobic exercise
    64 oz. water (or what counts as water for my program) daily
    [/color
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,916 Member
    Options
    9/9/15
    All the rugby talk and I don’t even know how that game works? Is it something like baseball?

We should start an ‘insomniac club’! LOL I sleep the hours but it is very restless and I wake up often. Dogs, pain, limbs falling asleep, nerves, who know but it is just not fully restful. My fitbit tells me I am restless from 20 to 35 times a night. Going do my doc next week for a check up. I’ll bring him the sleep report. Maybe he has a suggestion. My chiro gave me some magnesium powder that got rid of my migraines and was supposed to help with the sleeping. The headaches are gone, but the sleeping still leaves something to be desired.

I went to a nudist beach once….. when I was about 70 pounds lighter. Don’t think I would feel comfortable there now.

Annr Happy Anniversary! Love the pictures…The old record player brought back memories…..

Love the colors (and statement) on the pink Ohio T-shirt your DD had on patceoh!

Joyce from Indiana – good advice on Medicare and advantage versus supplemental plans. No need to feel disappointed. Loved your Walmart story! I could just picture it!!

Love the necklace Sylvia!

Penny, thanks for the 360 view of your town. Beautiful views!

Lisa in West Texas, love the small town news! Brightened my day! I come from a very small town and can relate! LOL!

MNMargaret, I’ll have to check out Brain Maker by David Perlmutter. My chiro told me about the ‘gut diet’. Sounds interesting!

Heather, what a depressing sounding book! I’ll have to check that one out as well! How We Die.

Mia in MI – The pirate ship ride sounds like a blast! Enjoy.. I used to work in a glass bottle factory eons ago. Glass has to be really hot so I feel your burn….

Sylvia – hope your son is ok.

Rita from CT