WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR SEPTEMBER 2015

Options

Replies

17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    janetr7476 wrote: »
    Mary in MN - We don't even freeze here until around the first week in November and rarely get below zero. Come visit any time. Well except January cuz we're going to AZ to escape the "cold". Your temps are making me feel like a weenie lol

Janetr OKC

I know! I don't know why we have to have such frigid cold! The last couple of years were unbelievable. We need to take more vacation to warmer areas during the winter time. We might take you up on the visit!

Mary from Minnesota

Me too????? Gayle Minneapolis r
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Beautiful day in ny, went apple picking with my dd today. This time is precious to me as she is off to college next year! I am trying not to think of how cold the winter is going to be. Is it a nsv to be perpetually cold all the time? I have to bundle up and wear layers.
    It is great to read all that is going on with you all, best wishes to those headed to surgery. Karen from ny
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    a quick hidee ho before im off to work..
    the more and more I think about it ,I am thinking of trying to find a job as a type of companion or something for the elderly, that seems to be where I fit it, It doesnt pay much so will have to look into such things that might pay a bit more...

Alison, I think this is a brilliant idea! Perhaps you could be an activity director in a care facility or a larger retirement community. I haven't got a clue about wages but I know you would shine. It seems to be your calling. :flowerforyou:
    Options
    Terri: Love Milwaukee! Family used to live there, we would visit few times a year. Do miss it!! Love Leon's custard on Johnson. Great art museum, love the bird. The duck at 3brothers to die for. I wonder do I have a food issue? Lol Gayle Minneapolis
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    happy Hump day and the 1st day of fall
    jane
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,947 Member
    Options
    My time with my sister is winding down. I'm doing her laundry and making chili today (leftovers in freezer for when I'm gone). I'm taking her to two appointments tomorrow and cooking vegetable soup (leftovers in freezer). I'll take her to get her prescriptions filled on Friday, then I'm heading home.

Of course her dryer doesn't work right either. It's tumbling and putting out heat, but it's just not drying the clothes. I don't know how she lives with so many things broken. She has a good job and makes a great salary. I guess it's just a matter of priorities. And to top it off, I broke her dishpan and her salt shaker broke while I was here. I'm claiming the dishpan, but I don't think I broke the salt shaker. Nevertheless, I went to the store and bought her a new dishpan, and new salt and pepper shakers.

I will be so glad to get home.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,723 Member
    Options
    drkatiebug - u r a saint
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    Gayle ... On counting calories ... I refused to do it for years. Avoided plans with points and indexes and anything that resembled calorie counting or that wanted me to act differently than normal eaters. I tried programs that focused on praying, and listening to hunger cues, and eating like your thin friends ... blah, blah, blah. The result? I was fat! Counting calories and moving more helped me lose 75+ pounds ... And then I thought I could eat "normal." Surely I had enough knowledge at that point to monitor portions, right? I could lose the rest of my weight like normal people? Wrong! I've put 20+ pounds back on! So I'm back to weighing, measuring, and counting calories. Because that's what works and that's why MFP is so succesful for so many. That's my story.

Allison ... Of course you should be involved in geriatric care! Companion and personal care jobs do pay very little, but a position like activities director might be better. I think it's time, regardless of the pay, for you to do something you enjoy! Just do it. If it's God's will, he'll make all the details come together and the pay will be a moot point.

Pip ... Praying for a successful surgery and a speedy recovery! Good luck tomorrow.

Lisa ... Sorry your days are so stressful! But a pound is a pound ... Yay! I find I like eating out less and less. The establishment has to really be top notch and offer selections that I'm not able to create at home. Very picky ... I know.

While I'm not Carholic, I'm enjoying watching the Pope. He makes all those around him smile!

Son went to school yesterday and today. Monday IV was successful. He even worked yesterday evening. This afternoon he felt like he might be developing a migraine, so his therapist suggested he cancel afternoon activities ( not on work schedule today) and "think happy thoughts!" She gets $175 an hour for this advice ... Anyways I guess he's thinking happy thoughts ... He's napping!

I am starving right now ... This is my bewitching time period 3:00 until dinner at 5:00. I do t even want to go into the kitchen to cook ... Do not trust myself! And while I have a lot of calories available, I'm afraid I'll lose control...

Beth

• skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Hello all: Horses are fed and some housework done. DH went to take out composting and found the biodegradable bag had started to degrade already and there was a smelly mess under the sink. Liquid had run to the back of the shelf and under it. Got most of the mess cleaned up but will have to have DD help take shelf out to clean under it. Yuck!!

Pip - Will be thinking good thoughts for you.

Katiebug - Glad you are getting to go home. Having stuff that doesn't work is frustrating.

Allison - I think a job in a senior center would be perfect for you.

I am looking forward to my first winter in WA. It may be chilly and rainy, it may even snow but it will not be -30* with wind chills below that like it was in SD.

All of you take care, Sue in WA
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Lisa, after reading of all your problems with employees, I was all expecting to see that you had just washed your hands of the place. But yet, that's not who you are. Then I saw that the guy accepted the new job as manager. Good luck. Hope he is what you need and the two of you can turn that plce around and you can just gracefully leave and go back to your ranch.

It's awful that I sit here and all I here is the sound of Charlie's stomach gurgle almost constantly. He did eat a bowl of corn flakes when he got up. Not only was that a good move forward but it was sweet. He wants pizza tonight. So I guess it is Pizza Hut.

Joyce, Indiana
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Gayle - DS and DH and I have been to the Leon's on 27th and Oklahoma, but I will try the one on Johnson, too. Thanks for the suggestion. We consider it a treat once or twice per year (lose patience standing in line for so long).
    Options
    terri_mom wrote: »
    Gayle - DS and DH and I have been to the Leon's on 27th and Oklahoma, but I will try the one on Johnson, too. Thanks for the suggestion. We consider it a treat once or twice per year (lose patience standing in line for so long).

Make sure you give 3 brothers a try. Great house salad!! Gayle Minneapolis
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    17761776 wrote: »
    Mary in MN - We don't even freeze here until around the first week in November and rarely get below zero. Come visit any time. Well except January cuz we're going to AZ to escape the "cold". Your temps are making me feel like a weenie lol

Janetr OKC

I know! I don't know why we have to have such frigid cold! The last couple of years were unbelievable. We need to take more vacation to warmer areas during the winter time. We might take you up on the visit!

Mary from Minnesota

Gayle, sure the more the merrier. :)
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    evening kiddos
    a quick hello before i hit the hay..work went well, and tomorrow is my day off.. will check in in the a.m.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    17761776 wrote: »

Janetr OKC

Mary from Minnesota

That would be fun to get together with everyone. I know that DJ offered to have us out at the beach if we all wanted to meet there. LOL it would be a lot of fun!

Pip- I'm so excited for you getting back to normal health and exercise ability! (((hugs))) and prayers!

Allison - my DSis gets $11.25 an hour for PCA care. That isn't too bad for helping others. Good luck!

Have a good night everyone!

Mary from Minnesota
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    744841fpppbwwx45.gif I spent winters in Southern Minnesota when I was in college and I loved it......but I was college age, lived in a dorm, didn't own a car or drive, and rarely had to leave campus.....my meals were prepared for me in the dorms, and the college kept the sidewalks cleared and I was not responsible to pay for heat. I would probably have a very different view of winter in Minnesota as an adult.

:) Alison, as you look for new employment, think about "quality of life"....you deserve a better one than what you have now.

:) Pip, I'll be thinking of you and your surgery tomorrow...I don't think I'd want to watch but if you do want to, I hope they can find a way.

<3 Barbie
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Pip, best of luck with the surgery!
  • pipcd34
    Options
    LAST OUTSIDE RIDING B4 SURGERY!
    stats for the day:
    ride hm 2 gym- 11.55min, 14.9amph, 2.9mi = 105c
    Spin- 42min 90r 95w 10-14g, 18.8mi = 374c