WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR SEPTEMBER 2015

Options

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Beth: Like you, I'm not Catholic, but this Pope is the most sensible world leader at this time in history. I find myself agreeing with him often. :star:

Sue: in WA: Plan on damp and dark. Christmas lights are very cheery in December. Replace every lightbulb that burns out with one that is daylight or solar temperature. They now come in several versions. Costco is a good source. :flowerforyou:

Pip: I'll be sending good thoughts your way tomorrow. :heart:

Yoga today, yay! Then DH & I did some grocery shopping and I came home with a beautiful blue sapphire orchid. It is stunning and makes me happy just to see it in my living room.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

September Goals :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png[
  • Sunnygirl_2015
    Sunnygirl_2015 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    <3
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,397 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of incline intervals on the treadmill today. Then had a Newcomer board meeting. The magnetron on our microwave died so the service guy is coming today to measure for a new microwave. You have no idea how many times I've gone to use the microwave and then reminded myself "oh, that's right, I don't have a microwave.

The plan for tomorrow is to do an Ultimate Weight Training and cardio DVD. Afterwards, I need to go get my blood tested (routine stuff). Unfortunately, it's a fasting blood test. I know that I'll be starving by the time I get home. Then tomorrow later in the morning I volunteer at the Green Room. Afterwards I'll go to the farmer's market (this is the last time they'll be there) and then stop at Target to get one more container of litter on sale plus I have a $5 store credit and a $2 coupon

Gayle - I don't have an ED so I find your posts so very fascinating, things I would never have thought of

janetr - ((((HUGS)))))]

Glo - I'm sure you gave pip the idea of using the Airstream if she didn't have it already. I certainly can see her doing that. I know that I would. Do hope the wellness coordinator gets back to you soon.

Welcome everyone new. Glad to have ya with us

Brenda - sounds like great goals

TerriRichard - I'm sure your physio has taken care of this, but if you're working out on your own, you do need to give your muscles 24 - 48 hours to rebuild themselves.

Lisa - oh no! Wish your other crew chief had at least let you know that she wasn't going to come in. Great that you can look on the bright side. Congrats on the weight loss.

terri - I would have scarfed up that tofu in no time at all. I freeze it all the time. Yes, it does change the texture a bit. So instead of the firm I would probably have gotten the extra firm. But you didn't know that it could be frozen. Do hope it's still on sale next week.

Heather - I don't think counting calories equals an ED. Maybe a bit of an obsession, but certainly not an ED

mia - I park further alway from the store not so that I can get my steps in but so that it lessens the chance that another vehicle/shopping cart will make a dent/scratch in my car. I didn't do this and after having my car for about 5 years I had to pay something like $2,000 to get all the dings taken out. So for $2,000, I can walk a little bit. Of course, Jessica thinks I'm crazy for not parking as close as possible. Just read DJ's response that everyplace in NO is air conditioned. It's the same way in FL when we go down there. Silly as this may sound, I always take a sweater with me. I'm not sure if it's going from the warm outside to the cold inside that makes it feel colder or if they, in fact, keep it cooler, but I always have a sweater with me.

DJ - once we went to dinner with Denise and Pete and it was so cold that I asked the waitress to turn down the a/c. She said that even she was cold. By the time we left, they had turned down the a/c

pip - so excited for you. Check in is at 6:30 -- you'll probably be there 5:30. Be thinking of you and sending good thoughts your way. So sorry you won't be able to watch the surgery, I know you would have loved to

Heather - giving gd cake decorating tips, are we?

Need to read fast thru the posts, get dinner ready, then eat early since we have ceramics tonight. Boy, Vince is really into it

katla - when Vince had the ablation, he just had a twilight anesthesia but he could see all the monitors for his heart. He said on one side of the room there were like 9 and on the other side another few. He found it interesting, but he did tell them "now listen here, before this operation starts, I don't want to hear the word 'oops' at all

One of the nice things about living in NC is that we do have a change of season but the winters aren't nearly as bad as in PA. If it snows, it's usually gone by midday

Mary from MN - you're welcome in NC

Yvonne - Vince absolutely loves cargo pants/shorts. He says that they're the best invention. I just prefer something more form fitting. I double Vince will ever give them up, either

I agree that there's no distinction between need and want when you go shopping. Or if something is on a great sale -- you just may need/want it one day.....

karen - the more you lose, the colder you get. Barbie can tell you, she's perpetually cold.

drkatiebug - how nice of you to be cooking and freezing food for your sister to have when you aren't there.

Michele in NC
    17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Michele: there is a store in NC that I would love to see. Bellagio Art, have you heard of it? They have artist designs for jewelry n clothing. ED is a funny thing, it can take over, consent fight! Best book about it is "don't diet live it workbook ". This is used in rehab n really helpful. One thing I notice in rehab we all had somewhat of the same story. Ill parent that passes at a young age, trouble teenager, smart n really talented. Have sleeping disorder n doesn't eat breakfast. Now I'm OP n meet only Monday n Tuesday, not everyday. Still a life journey. Gayle Minneapolis
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,397 Member
    Options
    Again, I have to ask, what can you serve a diabetic for dessert that doesn't contain artificial sweetener?

Michele in NC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,729 Member
    Options
    having a liquid refreshment in celebration!!
    nite peeps
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I'm back to normal after 3 days of being way too busy to get my normal exercise done. It feels so good!

11203 steps 9/23
    5.11 miles
    120.33 miles total

Squats 5x70, 5x75, 5x80 5x5x85
    Sumo squats 5x5x75
    BP 5x65, 5x70, 5x75, 5x5x80
    BR 5x5x85

I have decreased the amount of weight I lift for my squats from 115 pounds. My form was not correct. I was bending too far forward now it's perfect. That's more important than heavier.

Barbie - southern MN is about 10• warmer than up here but you definitely experienced winter and a fun college life!

Michele- thanks! We really need to set up a get together!

Pip- Cheers!

Mary from Minnesota
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,729 Member
    Options
    thanks for everyones well wishes! nite peeps! see u at the chopping block!!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,992 Member
    Options
    The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT.

1056287i3zmwzup2m.gif Stats for today:
    13,000 steps
    105 minutes of dog walking
    50 minutes on the exercise bike
    intermediate line dance class
    afternoon nap
    pizza for supper--first time in eons and won't do it again for a long time
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Michele - Thanks for the hugs. Talked to my ex-stepdaughter she is really upset today. Said it all just really hit her hard today that she is losing her Dad. I wish I were closer. They are in Chicago. Her mother is really bad too, had several strokes. She is younger than me but has been very heavy all her life.

Pip - I am so jealous, sure wish my surgery was in the morning. Oh well just a few more days. I do have to go to the hospital for pre-admission lab work, etc. Have one for me :) BTW on vacation I did a first for me. We went to a Winery and toured and went to the wine tasting. Oh my, I've never been a drinker of alcohol and I was feeling wobbly and sick to the stomach in no time. Had to stop tasting, lol Everyone was laughing at me, oh well, guess I'll stick to my coffee and water. Good luck tomorrow. I know it will go great!!

Janetr OKC

• DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening Ladies,

Pip, sending great thoughts for a successful surgery. I can barely look at the pic of your shoulder so sure couldn’t watch the surgery. Good luck.

Janetr, sorry to hear about your ex. I know it’s a loss as he was a part of your life.

Heather, so glad your tablet is behaving. Lol Not too sure about banging it on the table?? The grands are just precious. I’d probably be at their house every other day.

Allison, you are so right that you would be great at a companion for the elderly.

Vicki, good luck with your review and being able to discuss your supervisor.

Yvonne, sorry you were under the weather but glad you are well. Now stay that way. 

Gayle, you wonder if you have a food issue? LOL I have a dear friend who is very overweight and all she does is talk about restaurants and what great food they have. I have pointed it out to her a few times and she just giggles.

DrKatie, I know you will be glad to get home. I have to laugh every time you tell us about something else at your sister’s house that doesn’t work. While you were there, maybe you should have volunteered to call the repairman while you were there to let him in? I hope you threw some salt over your left shoulder, for luck!

Beth, I hope your son has insurance to cover the therapist? Maybe you need to schedule a snack midafternoon each day if you start starving.

Joyce, I hope Charlie eats the pizza and lots of it. I just hate that he is having such a tough time.

Michele NC, you are so right that the more we lose the colder we get/stay. Sixty pounds ago I used to sweat all the time and didn't even know it was because I was FAT. duh!!! It was even cold in Line dancing yesterday. When I left I turned the AC off in the car for a bit until I warmed up and we are normally hot once we start dancing. Why do all of you keep talking about counting calories having something to do with erectile dysfunction???? Just kidding but took me a minute to figure out the ED. Lol I rarely ate dessert or if I did it was a not overly sweet cake like Fresh Apple Cake or Carrot Cake. Most diabetics just don’t do dessert most of the time.

welcome.gif to any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

Sending the best thoughts to all of you and I hope all of you have a healthy and happy day. rose.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    I know, we travel n it's talking about restaurants. Haven't been to SC, new territory for me. Why is it when you are on vacation you eat n spend too much money??
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    DJ - thanks for the kind thots.

Janetr OKC
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    OK, some one clue me into what this ED is.I'm with DJ, all I could think of was the erectile dysfunction.

Pip, good luck tomorrow. Have Kirby let us know you are out and OK.

Charlie was upset at himself that he did poorly but I think he sets himself up for failure. We went to Pizza Hut and he ordered the personal pan, sausage and onion, extra sauce as usual. He usually has a one trip salad bar instead of bread sticks but he didn't think he could stand up at the salad bar. So he ordered bread sticks. Well they came to the table first and he dug into them and ate one with the marinara. I told him to slow down and wait for the main event. So when the pizza got there, he ate one piece and forced down a second. But he was so hard on himself that he didn't eat it. I told him it was a victory. MEN. I did my usual every 2-3 day grocery trip and got him some gatorade he finally decided to try and he drank a small glass of that and I found some Velveeta cheese. Now that he really liked. He put it on some crackers. So he wants a grilled cheese sandwich tomorrow. I thought he did really good. But he wants to be all fine RIGHT NOW, not just better but back to normal. Still pretty dizzy a lot.

Again, good luck tomorrow Pip.

Joyce, indiana
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    Again, I have to ask, what can you serve a diabetic for dessert that doesn't contain artificial sweetener?

Michele in NC

Diabetics are all different so it is a good idea to ask in advance what will be appreciated. You'd be surprised at how many do indulge in a bit of cake and ice cream. DH suggests apples, grapes, and bread pudding without sugar. Fresh fruit is nice, including things like fruit salad, melon and berries but go light on added sugar. There are fake sugars called sorbitol and manitol. Some diabetics can't deal with them. DH is one of them.
  • mtowne002
    mtowne002 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Hey Gals
    Too tired to even read..my eyes aren't focussing well. Had the brilliant idea to volunteer for cart duty at work today as we had been very busy before I got there and we were almost out. I enjoyed it but was stubborn and did the entire stores carts and then some during eighty something heat. But I WON! Those carts were put in their place! Oh man I looked so bright red and sweaty one of the sweet teenage girls snuck me to the meat freezer to recover for a minute. I'm only up to page 49. I have two days off and am looking forward to catching up w u all then.
    Mindy from Boston
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,369 Member
    Options
    DH is going to drive me over to my rental today. Haven't seen it in seven years. Wish me luck!
    The dear man is giving up his own precious writing time for me. <3
    No idea what to do about food. I will take a Quest bar.

Heather, feeling nervous in Hampshire, UK :ohwell:
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,369 Member
    Options
    OK, I've decided I will be less nervous if I go on my own in the first instance. :*
    I want to see the state it's in for myself.
    I'm going to go by train and bus as the idea of negotiating the one way system was making me even more nervous, even though DH would be driving. I prefer to keep my panics to myself. :laugh:
    We can go together another time, but I realised when I was exercising that the journey and him seeing the place for the very first time was adding to my nerves.
    I am often like this - preferring to do stressful stuff by myself rather than worry about someone else's reaction.

So I feel better and will be leaving in 25 minutes.

Heather UK
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!

Pip: Thinking of you today!

Alison: good plan! People need good help/companionship, including an activity director. What would be best for you, without draining your energy too much?

Joyce: ED is also “eating disorder”, lol.

No arthroscopic surgery for me; the ortho said the arthritis is starting in the left knee and that there’s not much point in going into the joint at this time. As for the right knee (I've needed a knee replacement for a few years now), he’s still holding onto weight loss before the surgery. I need to lose 20 kg (about 45 pounds). I've renewed my commitment; I would really like the new knee before summer. I need your support!

Hope we all have a good day!

Cynthia :flowerforyou:

54053224.png
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    Michele wrote to Katla - when Vince had the ablation, he just had a twilight anesthesia but he could see all the monitors for his heart. He said on one side of the room there were like 9 and on the other side another few. He found it interesting, but he did tell them "now listen here, before this operation starts, I don't want to hear the word 'oops' at all.
    When my daughter was doing her Masters, one of her friends was studying to be a dentist. The friend said that before they met their first patients, they had training sessions to establish a new reflex: if they slipped up they should automatically say something (almost anything) other than Ooops! Popular phrases included "Right on" and "That's the way". Nowadays I get really suspicious if my dentist says anything short and snappy while rummaging around in my mouth.

Oh, and Michele, one of my go-to desserts is sliced strawberries with a few shreds of julienned orange peel, a couple tablespoons of OJ and a tablespoon of orange liqueur (Cointreau or Grand Marnier, for instance). Just mix them all together and let them sit for an hour or two. It contains very little sugar but is usually sweet enough for people who aren't sugar addicts. It also goes very well over a scoop of vanilla ice cream, if your diabetic guest can eat that.