WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR SEPTEMBER 2015

Options

Replies

• mparker1216
    mparker1216 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    {\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252
    {\fonttbl\f0\fnil\fcharset0 ArialMT;}
    {\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red255\green255\blue255;\red0\green0\blue0;}
    \deftab720
    \pard\pardeftab720\partightenfactor0

\f0\fs24 \cf0 \cb2 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0
    \outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec3 73668871.png}
  • mparker1216
    Options
    Hmmm. I was trying to make a signature. Can anyone tell me how? Thanks
    Maryann in Michigan
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,367 Member
    Options
    Waiting for everyone to arrive so I can chauffeur them down to the 1 day cricket. England v Australia. Great excitement! DH has made his cheese rolls, packed his fruit cake and has 5 homemade ginger shortbread biscuits to share. I expect they will have a few beers. It ends around 21.45 when I shall be called to collect the gang. :D

I will watch my film and maybe something I recorded. My cleaner will be here until 15.00. Can't decide whether to do a quick bit of shopping after I've dropped them off. :*

I can have anything I like for dinner! Choices, choices!

Pip - Kirby's sis has definitely the right idea. I keep trying to persuade DH of the same thing. :)

Yesterday I made the appointment to talk about our wills. :drinker: Just ignored DH's lack of enthusiasm for the subject. Will also broach living wills and POA when we get there. As a second marriage our estate is complicated.

DJ - hope you eventually got to sleep. :flowerforyou: I was awake from 3.33 - 5.00 last night. Went in the spare room and read my book.

I have cleaned the bathrooms as I expect the old boys will want some relief when they arrive here! ! ! ! !

Love Heather UK
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Waiting for everyone to arrive so I can chauffeur them down to the 1 day cricket. England v Australia. Great excitement! DH has made his cheese rolls, packed his fruit cake and has 5 homemade ginger shortbread biscuits to share. I expect they will have a few beers. It ends around 21.45 when I shall be called to collect the gang. :D
    Love Heather UK

Wow! It sounds like they are ready for a great time! Your DH is lucky that you take such good care of him. It sounds like you have a very relaxing day scheduled. Enjoy your film.

I also had a rough night sleeping. I am going to get up and go for a nice long walk this morning. Then I am going to go visit my DS I L she has poison ivy from head to toe. She is not doing very well so I will try to cheer her up.

Have a great day everyone!

Mary from Minnesota
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,097 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Maryann what kind of icon do you want. If you make a space then colon : they give you choices. To find more make a : then a first letter like h in heart and the heart pops up. Some of the other icons can be found in the sending mail to a member if you make a : then type in the words in this site you get that icon like drinker in colons gives you :drinker: Barbie uses another site just click on on of her icons and it will send you to that site.

Heather here is the States. Depending on your situation a trust is a better way to go. Living in Minnesota and for tax reasons we went with a trust. A trust trumps a will. Having the power of attorney is for me as important after having a son refusing us access to his medical team. We have a Hippa (spelling?) law that the person if they are over 21 they has to give permission for his/her medical team to tell us about their patient. I believe with power of attorney we would have access. It does not stop us from telling them what we know about his conditions, so they have more information to make better decisions to help him. It just leaves us in the without all his information and we have to best guess how to help him on our end. Fortunately I have access to his mail. With this info we can at least keep his service charges down and make sure his medical insurance premium gets paid. (protects his credit and his medical insurance)

Off to get routine maintenance done on my car.
    :heart: MnMargaret
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Morning every one!

We are heading off this morning on vacation - do I know where - really !! No !! seems that DH hasn't decided. he wanted a mini vacation - but driving all day isn't a vacation for me!! I will check in when I can.

Have a good week and if you are in Canada - Happy Labour Day Weekend!!

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • mparker1216
    Options
    How can you make a signature so you don't have to type your name and location every time? Thanks :smile:
    --Maryann
  • mparker1216
    Options
    Quite a while ago I bought a pair of capris without trying them on. They were too small :frowning: I kept them hoping someday they would fit. Today I am wearing them! :smile:
    --Maryann in Michigan
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,097 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Here the other advantage of a trust is it keeps your estate out of probate. A will does not do this. If you own property in more than one state. Both states will go through probate unless you set up a trust. It is not cheap to set up a trust, but for our estate it will save it thousands of dollars that we can choose where that money goes and not the courts and taxes. Probate costs more than setting up a trust.

Maryann The only way I know of saving your signature is to save it to word or to copy it and paste it. For awhile I had a document that I would paste from word and make changes as I saw fit. In that document I had my goals, word of the year (Strength), and favorite quote "Just because you see the hook does not mean you have to bite", I had a rose icon like DJ"s and my signature. Now I rarely use that word document.

:heart: MNMargaret
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,987 Member
    Options
    How can you make a signature so you don't have to type your name and location every time? Thanks :smile:
    --Maryann

smiley-happy032.gif I have a word document on my computer that I can get to easily. It includes the code for my weight loss ticker, my name and location with some cute graphics, my resolutions for the month, a favorite quote or two and some smiley icons to use in my post. That's where I compose my longer replies and then copy and paste it to the reply box. Or else I write my reply in the reply box and copy and paste parts of the document.

253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from beautiful NW Washington smiley-happy020.gif
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Morning Ladies,

Allison, it sounds like you have a wonderful day planned. Do enjoy!!!

Heather, you enjoy your day while the guys are out. They can drink up since they have you as a chauffeur. Good for you on making appointment about the wills. When we did ours, we also did the POA, Living Wills and something else that I can’t remember? Dang those Power Surges and Senior Moments. Lol

Mary, bless your DSIL’s heart. Not a fun experience for sure. Tell her next time just don’t roll around in it. Hope you can cheer her up and take her mind off the situation.

Lillian, enjoy your surprise mini vacation, even if it is just riding.

Maryann, congrats on wearing those pants! Woo hoo. I keep a Word Document on my desktop that has my signature and as I read the posts, I make my comments here. When I am ready to post I just copy it and paste into MFP. That way anything I want to repeat each day is already on it. Hope that helps.

Pat, good to hear from you. You are sooo right that not losing beats gaining.

Meg, hope the head gets better!!! (((((Hugs)))))

Carol, how cool that you want to do that ride next year. A very ambitious goal and I’m sure you’ll do it. Glad you are seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

Michele, how big is that sign? It’s hard to tell from the picture. I look forward to seeing it and the quacker. You are so good about your water exercises along with all the others you do. greensmilies-026.gif No wonder you are such a tiny thing. 

welcome.gif to any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

Ladies, be kind to yourselves. Do something special for yourself even if it includes someone you care about. We have to take time and intention to do this. And we all deserve it. Prayers and hugs for those that need them and a big Congrats to those with victories.
    I hope all of you have a healthy and happy day. rose.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • pwrfl1
    pwrfl1 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm new to the forums but not so new to MFP. It's awesome to see this group of people on here. I'm Susan from MN. I'm married and have one son in college. This is my time to get in the best shape both mentally and physically. My family has a long history of diabetes, and I know being almost 100 pounds overweight, I'm heading down that road as well. It's time to turn that train around so I can enjoy this " second " half of my life to the fullest. My September goals are:
    Log everyday
    Show gratitude daily
    Workout daily
    Lose a pants size!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,727 Member
    Options
    MORNING PEEPS SKIS

cityJane - sounds like a good time!

lilymay - mystery vaca huh, good luck, i hope you end up somewhere fun.

mparker - YEAYYYYY FOR FITTING INTO THOSE CAPRIS !!!!!

A couple of my nails have chipped, whaaa.... when I get closer to the ride, i'm going to have them colored that neon orange again (color of my bike). it's coming up. this is the first time in 3 or so years that Kirby and I haven't ventured out on at least one training ride of our own but that's cool. a lot has been going on lately so it's understandable.

Got the team shirts ordered and they should be ready sometime soon. when we were riding this morning I thanked Kirby for booking the trip to California and I told him I will try to make up the lost 8 hrs (thought it would be 4) at work. he said that was ok, I didn't have to. I still might, I dunno, we'll see.

my calorie burn on my bike trainer should be interesting and the walking I know won't be much, but oh well.

type to ya later.
  • barbiecat
    Options

Yesterday I made the appointment to talk about our wills. :drinker: Just ignored DH's lack of enthusiasm for the subject. Will also broach living wills and POA when we get there. As a second marriage our estate is complicated.

Love Heather UK

:) Heather, congrats for taking this first step....a professional in estate planning will be a big help in letting you know about different contingencies to plan for. Our first estate planning was a big struggle with a lot of decisions to be made, but once completed, the subsequent updates were easy. Jake has children, I don't, his children have biological children and step children and we wanted to be sure that they were all addressed. We had charities we wanted to include. Along with everything else we got health care directives and POA for health care. We are fortunate that we know each others' wishes about health care and end of life. You are not a stranger to hard work and soul searching so you will handle this with grace.

<3 Barbie

• barbiecat
    Options
    pwrfl1 wrote: »
    Hello, I'm new to the forums but not so new to MFP. It's awesome to see this group of people on here. I'm Susan from MN. I'm married and have one son in college. This is my time to get in the best shape both mentally and physically. My family has a long history of diabetes, and I know being almost 100 pounds overweight, I'm heading down that road as well. It's time to turn that train around so I can enjoy this " second " half of my life to the fullest. My September goals are:
    Log everyday
    Show gratitude daily
    Workout daily
    Lose a pants size!

smiley-signs046.gif Welcome, you have come to the right place...among us are women who have lost 100+ pounds, battled diabetes, live in Minnesota (not as far north as you), and have children in college, so you'll find kindred spirits. We are all facing the challenge of healthy living in the later chapters of our lives and have found solutions that we love to share. Keep coming back.

<3 Barbie
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Barbie: Being agreeable is likely an excellent, but very challenging goal. I'll need to think about it for the future. I enjoyed yesterday's yoga class very much. Today, it is spin class while my neighbor dances. I just read your comments to Heather. Regarding wills. We must get this done! How did you choose your attorney? :huh:

Rita: Lovely beach photos. I love it when we have the beach to ourselves. :bigsmile:

Heather: Your day in Portsmouth sounds wonderful. :flowerforyou:

Mia: Your pets are very entertaining. :heart:

Joyce: You are here. That is all that we need. I can't believe they confiscated your paring knife. Can you get it back and send it home with one of your children? :huh:

Margaret: I think that birds are a great deal more intelligent that people give them credit for. "Birdbrain" is supposed to imply stupidity but the stupid don't survive. They've discovered that crows communicate warnings to one another, tattle on which people are bad or good, hold funerals,,,. The list goes on. :flowerforyou:

Mary: I also live a long way from where I taught. I miss my teaching friends, but visiting is difficult, and helping in a classroom has never been a practical possibility. I could have volunteered at a local school here, but have volunteered in other ways, instead. :flowerforyou:

Sue in WA: I'm sorry the sellers did not keep their word about getting rid of their trash. Changing locks was an excellent plan. I hope we see you more often. :flowerforyou:

The salmon has been smoked and is in the refrigerator. DH will need to get together with his fishing firiend to divide it up. It came out very tasty. :bigsmile: I have spinning this moring while my neighbor dances in Zumba class. After that? I'm sure we will fill up the day. I hope to have fun in addition to the spin class.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

September Goals :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    pwrfl1 wrote: »
    Hello, I'm new to the forums but not so new to MFP. It's awesome to see this group of people on here. I'm Susan from MN.

Hi Susan and welcome to this wonderful place of motivation and support! I am also from Minnesota. I live up in Walker. Margaret Gayle and Toni Live down in the cities.

Katla- interesting information about birds! I had no idea that they were that intelligent. I did see it interesting video on two of them protecting one of their fallen. I'm glad that the salmon turned out so tasty!

Mary from Minnesota
  • miakoda40
    miakoda40 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    DJ Myrtle Beach, SC – Nope, you are not the only one who did not lose weight while on Metformin. I didn’t lose weight while on it and it barely kept the blood sugar in check. My doctor also tried me on something else that I cannot recall the name. It wasn’t covered by insurance and was very pricey but it was also supposed to help lose weight as well as keep the sugar under control. After 3 months it didn’t do any better than the Metformin so the doc moved me back to Metformin because at least that one didn’t cost an arm. I’m so happy to not have to be on the Metformin any longer.

Beth – I hope the Metformin helps your son.

Mia in MI

September goals:
    Continue to honestly log food every day
    Weigh and measure all food that I prepare at home
    Get at least 15 min per day of aerobic exercise
    64 oz. water (or what counts as water for my program) daily

• mparker1216
    Options
    Pip[/b. I've missed everything about your bike ride. Where are you riding? How long, etc?
    Maryann/Michigan
  • mparker1216
    Options
    Mary I was in Minnesota a few weeks ago. New Hope.