WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR SEPTEMBER 2015

Options

Replies

• bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    It's been a hectic day. Younger son passed his road test yesterday and wanted to drive solo to his psych counsellors appointment and his first day of work today. Very odd feeling seeing him back out of the driveway without anyone else.

He was very nervous about the job ... Came out in the new pants we found ... Had left the tags on the back pocket and that long tape piece that indicates size! :smiley: he just texted during his break that they had him bagging... Didn't tell him how to bag a pie (hello! What's to explain?!) .. Guess it tilted and slopped by the time the customer got home .... And customer called upset! Oh well, he'll learn!

We saw his weight loss clinic doctor this morning. He's been struggling ... Not really trying is more like it. Anyways they've written him a script for metformin even though his sugar is under control ... Said it would make him feel full longer. Not sure how I feel about that ... So contacting his primary and also getting blood work done. Want to have a baseline before they start anything like that.

Janetr. I worry about my eyes! Not being able to hear means I rely on my sight. I hope your condition progresses incredibly slow.

Sylvia ... Poor pooh... Lol!

Have a good evening ladies!
    Beth in Western New York

• klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Hi i am new here, but after reading this thread, i can c u r a really terrific group of folks--strong! Anyway, i am a 54 year old facing an empty nest next year. I recently joined mfp and have the goal of becoming more fit!
    Sept. Goals:
    -Gym cardio at least 5 days a week
    -log everyday
    -Avoid stress eating at work and at nite
    -Keep track of finances--college tuition looms!

Love this thread! mommabird from ny <3
    17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    as5811 wrote: »
    Hi - I'm new to this thread. It's nice to see other women over 50 working toward the same goals. I'm 62 & started my fitness journey in January 2015. I started eating healthier & exercising. I did pretty well during the winter months losing between 4-5 lbs/month. I have learned I deal with stress by eating. A hard habit to break. Our 24 yr old daughter moved to another state for a job. The stresses of preparing & moving her did a number on my weight loss streak. Anyway, my September goals are to;

1 - Eat less than 1500 calories
    2 - Exercise at least 30 minutes 6 x per week
    3 - Drink 8 glasses or more of water
    4 - Log my daily calories
    5 - Add some strength training to my exercise week.

Annie/PA

Welcome!! It's so hard when a daughter leaves, how far , any grandkids??? Gayle Minneapolis
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    bumping :) having an issue with my spacebar on keyboard
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Hi gayle, no, she is my one and only, and i have to say this is going to be a very emotional year for me and she isnt leaving until next year, hows that for borrowi.g trouble!
    Anyway, i want to be sure that i build up my physical well being and dont EAT when stressed!
    I also have to add strength trainng but am worried about doing it wrong and injuring myself. Maybe i will be up for it in october, let me.know how it goes for you. K
  • miakoda40
    miakoda40 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Maryann from Michigan - I am in the Ann Arbor area

Mia from MI
  • Micheller1210
    Micheller1210 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies,
    a good day tracking my food, and getting my steps in going for 15,000 a day. Have a few hundred left for the day.
    looking to get the smart scale m not to sure about it.

Also been looking for friends for motivation. But the requests are from young girls who may have weight issues but don't look it. And is it really necessary to pose in corsets, bikinis and look seductive. It's weight loss not a modeling for support. I would prefer ladies who have lived life and know my struggles, raised kids,have had hard times,over come them etc.

thank you ladies
    Michelle in Washington

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,987 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT.

1056287i3zmwzup2m.gif Stats for today:
    3,000 steps
    22 minutes of dog walking
    lots of time on the computer and knitting

569147nmlfkdnzlz.gif Pip, I read that post on Facebook and am so glad that Kirby took the advice and made his plans to go to California

smiley-happy032.gif Linda, thank you for the optimistic thoughts. I'll keep them in mind.

2157045gp85zev8ri.gif Mary, thanks for the suggestion about squats....they are favorites for me....a few years ago I did a 100 squats a day for 100 days challenge and they're something I do while I wait for the dogs to sniff in the bushes.

smiley-happy032.gif. Sue in WA, you are getting fit in the old fashioned way---by working hard

smiley-happy032.gif We have had some much needed rain today.

smiley-happy032.gif Vicki, good for you telling your hubby to go out with his friend and you staying home...it's important to take care of yourself

smiley-happy032.gif Becca, congrats on finding a reasonably priced swim suit that meets your needs

smiley-signs046.gifAnnie from PA....this is a good place to learn about ways to deal with stress without eating. I hope you keep coming back

smiley-happy032.gif Beth, you are a very great supportive mom.

smiley-signs046.gifmommabird from NY, you have come to the right place

smiley-laughing025.gif I have just narrowly missed setting a record for the fewest steps in a day since I got my pedometer in 2010 but I have been very obedient in taking it easy to let my hip heal including not going to line dance class

My word for 2015 is "now"---I won't wallow in the past or waste time worrying about the future

146200.png
    September resolutions
    *walk an average of 15,000+ steps a day
    *drink 9 glasses of water a day
    *strength training twice a week
    *15 minutes a day organizing photo files on computer and phone
    * meditate for five minutes four or more days a week
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,727 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:
    ride hm 2 gym- 11.14min, 15.6amph, 2.9mi = 131c
    spin- 30min, 92ar, 102aw, 9-14g, 13.6mi = 317c
    ride gym 2 dome- 6.59min, 11.8amph, 1.3mi = 95c
    ride dome 2 hm- 18.41min, 8.1amph, 2.5mi = 207c
    total cal 750
  • pipcd34
    Options
    well peeps..

i talked to my co-worker and before i even asked, she yelled out, "your chariot awaits!" so i have my ride to work when i need it, all i have to do is let her know when to start. the scheduling nurse hasn't called me yet to schedule my surgery. my thought is the sooner after my bike ride, the better. i will probably do (if he can do it of course) or would like to do it on a thursday have off fri, then the weekend and then the beginning of the following week. but am at his mercy, he may only do operations on certain days of the week.

so i am getting used to the fact that i won't be going to the gym for 6 wks. so the plan, spin at home in the morning and walk home after work., that's the idea. a lady asked me how am i going to deal with it mentally (not riding and going to the gym because it's so much part of my every day life). i told her i have to suck it up and follow the doc's rules if i want to get back to being normal and run again, etc.., i'm missing running.

pip will type to ya later and if not, nite peeps.

from tacoma washington.

p/s welcome new peeps
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Happy September to all.My fav time of the year. :)

Sure a lot of ppl needing hugs & prayers.

Joyce,so glad your DH is doing better.You take care & try to rest every chance you get.
    Even a light stroke can take time to recover. My hub has a buddy whose wife had a major stroke Monday. One side along with speech is affected. Dr thinks she will be in a wheel chair from now on......as one side isn't able to handle both sides.Her hub is staying at hospital all day,till she is asleep in eve.Sitting around there makes a person feel like they did a day's labor.

Carol,I recognized you in the picture. Hope the shoulder is better.

Pip....best of luck with your surgery.

My plan is just to keep on keeping on,no matter how slow & losing is super slow! Can't complain,not losing beats gaining.

Almost bedtime .....Goodnight all.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    patceoh wrote: »

My plan is just to keep on keeping on,no matter how slow & losing is super slow! Can't complain,not losing beats gaining.

Right On!

Mary from Minnesota
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Greetings all. left work early with a migraine; slept for a while, now going to bed. Hope to see you tomorrow. Healing prayers for those who need them.
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I've had night meds already so may fall asleep mid-post...

Hard workout at PT this morning. Sure wish I knew how many calories I burn during those sessions.

Terri - The hand bike and I are getting well acquainted! I start my session with 10 minutes on that before I move on to pulleys (weight lifting for my right arm), isometric moves with my left arm, Pilates moves to strengthen the scapular and sub scapular muscles, then passive exercises where they pull my arm over my head until I am almost doing a back flip to relieve the pressure. Summary: OUCH!!

Carey - CRS means Can't Remember S**t. It's mostly an old folks syndrome. :smiley:

I made a breakthrough with the depression today--I saw a sign it is getting better anyway. I found a bike ride that goes from near Atlanta down into Alabama on rails to trails pathways, biking 64 miles on Saturday, camping overnight, then biking back to the starting point on Sunday. It is done in mid-October so the weather should be great. I know I can't do it this year but I think I want to do it next year. I emailed my son to see if he might like to go with me. I can't think of the group's name right now, but they do a summer ride that goes from California to Maine and they stop along the way and do home repairs. There is a middle of the road for distance ride but I didn't get to check it out yet.

Has anyone else had the strange phenomenon of waking up during the night with your mouth dry--like you've been breathing through your mouth for hours, yet your mouth is closed? Makes for a rough night and I don't know what's causing it.

My eyes are closing so I will say good night before I drop my phone on my face!

Carol in NC

P.S. Welcome to the newcomers!
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options

Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening Ladies,

Cheri, good quote. Thanks for sharing.

Heather, so glad you had a grand day with your friend. It’s a good tired, isn’t it? 

Mia, you are so true that we become well trained owners of our Fur Babies. How did they get so smart??? ROFL

Joyce, you are giving back by keeping us informed!!! You know we care about you and want to know how things are progressing so you are doing your part. You have bigger fish to fry right now than worrying about us. Take care. (((((Hugs)))))

Terri, sorry to hear about your DD. I’m surprised you didn’t arrange to get her a cake? LOL It’s so hard to see our children hurting for any reason.

Sue, sorry for problems with previous owners. Kudos for the strength and baggy britches. :_) (that’s pants, in case you don’t know)

Linda, thanks for sharing the Life Prospective Thoughts. I really love and believe in #3. Happiness is a choice - Find something to be happy about in the morning: ANYTHING!

Pip, glad you are going to California! Your sister is so right.

Vicki, have fun at the Fair and enjoy all those steps.

Becca, I can understand why “that person” gets your goat but I hate to see you spend even an ounce of negative energy on her. She is not worth it. Like you said, it’s not a contest. You are competing with yourself and your current weight. I know it’s not easy but try to let it go and just concentrate on you. You are the one that is important to us. I love polka-dots, so would probably love the suit. Gosh, I probably just got rid of some that you could have worn. :o

Annie, welcome. You will find this a great place for support and information. Many of us did/do stress eat and it’s a habit worth breaking. It just takes work. Come often and post when you like.

Beth, that is interesting about wanting to give your son Metformin. I guess I am the only person in the world that didn’t lose some weight when I went on it. I was just so pleased that I didn’t gain any when I went off of it a couple of months ago. My doctor warned me that I could.

Mommabird, welcome. Good for you on wanting to become more fit. Trust me, it’s easier at your age than at 68. greensmilies-019.gif

Michelle,WA, I was just getting ready to post my sexy picture of me in a bikini, but if you don’t think that is necessary? Or eh, what??? I won’t look sexy in a bikini with all this flab and lose skin? What do you mean, this is not for modeling? ROFL Thank goodness I haven’t run across most of your friends. The truth is, some of us stay so busy trying to keep up with the posts in here that we don’t often even look at our home page. My real friends on MFP are in this room so I just don’t bother. Very impressive steps you are taking. Keep up the good work.

Barbie, when I read your steps I did do a double take! LOL Good for you. It didn’t even break your pedometer, did it? Hope you are feeling better each day.

Update on my friend with the cyst on her hip. I spent some time with her today and this very strong woman is pretty freaked out. I hate that for her. She has another MRI tomorrow and then doctor’s appointment next Tuesday. Then she will find out the results and hopefully schedule surgery. This not knowing has been going on for 31 days now and once the doc mentioned cancer to her the days are dragging. Please keep her in your prayers.
    All of you wonderful ladies are in my thoughts and prayers daily. I appreciate you so much and love reading about what’s going on in your lives. Going nighty night now.

I hope all of you have a healthy and happy day. rose.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,396 Member
    Options
    Took my aluminum to the Humane Society, went to Bi-Lo, then Food Lion (they didn't have the chickens I wanted), did an hour of deep water, went to the Salvation Army, went in the pool, then powerwashed two more sections of the driveway. Just have two more to do. Had dinner, then ceramics. I finished my duck, they'll fire it, put the clear glaze on the inside of my sign. Boy, is that thing big!!!

Probably just going to skim tonight....where DOES the time go to?

After ceramics stopped at Lowe's Foods. Vince got upset that he had to wait for me. Well, they were having trouble with the coupons. It was worth $4 for a few minutes.

The plan for tomorrow is to do the Extremely Ripped and Chiseled DVD

janetr - sorry for the macular degeneration. Let's hope it's slow. Good that you are taking the vitamins, that might help slow it down, too.

Nikki - where in NC are you? There are a few of us on here from NC. Hey, I see you're in Gastonia. That's not far from me at all. Have you been to the new Ingles in Lincolnton?

terri - you KNOW that pip will be back to her normal self in no time at all as soon as she can get there. There's nothing that keeps her down. Good for you refusing that pizza and having a snack ready. I'm finding more and more that I need to have something that I can just grab or else I grab the wrong thing

barbie - When we have an event where you need to bring food, I usualy have something at home and then just pick and nibble on the decent stuff. Last night at Mexican Train I didn't have anything at all to eat, which suited me just fine. I usually would take a dessert plate and fill that. Maybe I'll start not having anything to eat. Brought most of the veges home, that was fine by me. Sending good vibes that your hip is better real soon

DJ - the cats love to pull the feathers out of their toys. Or maybe Vince does that and blames it on the cats??????? How sweet of you to try to repair your daughter's toy.

Rita - such serene pics. Wish I had been there. Thanks for sharing

Welcome everyone new

Sue in WA - The people who bought our house in PA threw out the freezer we'd left (it worked fine) and tried to get us to pay for the removal. Vince had to call the garbage co. there and explain that we didn't even own the house, we weren't even in the same state

Linda/IA - wonderful thoughts

pip - I like Kirby's sister's thinking! So happy that you're going to CA

Becca - your posts are such a breath of fresh air. Congrats on that find. I got a Halloween shirt at the Salvation Army today. It's pretty cute

Carol in NC - oh, I do love those rails to trails

Michele in NC
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Just popping in for a short whine. I Can't Sleep. :( Was tired so went to bed at 10:30. Doze, wake up...doze, wake up...stay awake...toss..turn...grrrrr. Finally got up at 2:00 and took a sleeping pill. Now just waitin for droopy eyelids. Hope all of you are sleeping soundly.

Love ya,
    DJ
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,817 Member
    Options
    morning sweet friends~
    sorry I didnt check in last night, it was another crazy *kitten* day yesterday at work..
    looking forward to the weekend and going to new hampshire. we are making peach ice cream the old fashion way with a crank ice cream maker, it was a tradition for many years.. will have a taste. also will go out for seafood ,but fresh yummy seafood, and I will find out when low tide is and walk the beach.. my FAVORITE ...
    going to feed DFIL and then grocery shop.will check in later
  • mparker1216
    mparker1216 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Off to work. Have a good day, everyone! B)