Replies

• pwrfl1
    pwrfl1 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Awesome ! Thanks for your help with Pinterest
  • Db8688
    Db8688 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    pwrfl1 I sent you an email so you can be a collaborator. I think if anyone else wants to add to the boards I will need to send them an email invite as well. I've never done a shared board with multiple posters so if anyone knows of a different way please let me know.
  • Db8688
    Options
    I love all of the recipes/food specifics! Thanks, everyone :) I'm diagnosed Celiac so I have the added annoyance of having to make everything gluten free. So any tips I can get on how to make my meals more interesting is always appreciated.

Right now for breakfast I always have 4 egg whites, 2 rice cakes or 1 slice GF bread, 1 tablespoon of peanut/almond butter and 1 cup of fruit.

Then my meals switch up on the carbs/veggies/fats depending on when they are and whether they're on a low/high day, but they all always include 3oz protein (and 4oz for my last "dinner" meal). And no matter what day it is I try not to have carbs for my 4th or 5th meals (*unless it's my cheat meal, of course). So far it's been pretty good and I never feel hungry or sluggish.

Have you tried using coconut flour as a gluten free alternative? I have a container in the fridge but haven't been brave enough to try it yet. I found this recipe on one of the sites I joined a few years ago.

Coconut Flour Pancakes
    Ingredients
    4 egg, omega-3, cage-free, organic
    1/4 c. coconut flour, organic
    1/4 c. coconut milk, unsweetened, homemade, organic
    1 tbs. maple syrup, pure, organic
    1/4 tsp. vanilla extract, organic
    1 pinch nutmeg, organic
    1 pinch cinnamon, ground, organic
    Directions
    In a large bowl, whisk the eggs really well. Sift in the coconut flour, and quickly whisk to mix well. Add coconut milk, and continue to mix well. Optional: Stir in maple syrup (or use raw honey) and seasonings. Use butter to grease griddle at 325ºF or pan over medium heat. Pour about 1/4 cup of batter onto the griddle for each pancake, allowing each side to brown before flipping it. (Watch carefully so they don’t burn!).
  • Db8688
    Options
    BTW I think I'm probably the oldest member here so far. (turning 52 in October) I have tried several different meal plans, protein powders (Whey, Egg White, and Vegan) bars, supplements, workouts etc and I am cheap cheap cheap! I always calculate and compare costs per serving on any protein supplements I buy. I do have a few favorites but I"m always scanning the stores in person and online to find a better product at a cheaper price. If you're thinking about trying something new let me know. I might have already tried it and can tell you what my experience was or I can offer info on where you might find the best deal. Most of what I have tried works. In my case it's not the program but the operator that stops working. I'm truly hoping that Carb Cycling will be the lifestyle change that I can stick with for more than a year or two. :)
  • pwrfl1
    Options
    DB- yep I got the email, but can't figure out how to post to that board. It doesn't show up on my boards. I'm doing something wrong but can't seem to find it.

I love the fact that you've tried them all and willing to share your experiences. Thank you in advance for your knowledge.
  • SpectacuLaura
    SpectacuLaura Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    DB- Thank you for the recipe! I've been really wanting to try some type of protein pancake since I started and these sound awesome! I actually have a lot of different kinds of gluten free flours already purchased-including coconut. :) Before I was diagnosed, I loved to bake and decorate cakes/cupcakes so I did a lot of experimenting with different flours to keep baking while gluten free (it's a lot harder than it seems haha!) Anyway since I've been eating healthier the baking hasn't been happening much so it'd be nice to put all those flours to use.

Also- since you mention that you've tried a lot of different protein powders and bars, what's your favorite kind? My husband and I have been trying out the Quest protein and bars so far since a friend at work recommended them. The bars are amazing and I like the powder a lot but it definitely isn't cheap!
  • pwrfl1
    Options
    Good Morning Peeps !!! Today is my low carb day. I went back and read Powells first book...lets just say I've probably been doing a modified low carb , still with great results so that is good. Starting fresh with a stricter regime on this second week in.
    What are you all on ?

Laura - where do you find Quest bars and what is the break down of the macros ?

Sue
  • tiffkittyw
    tiffkittyw Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I also love quest bars! I buy them online from the quest website for $25 (box of 12). The bar I have with me at work today is "cinnamon roll " it's 170 calories, 6g fat, 25 carbs, 17g fiber so 3 g net carbs, 1 g sugar and 20 G protein. My day today is low carb but not super low. I have southwest chicken chili in the crock pot made with black soy beans (1 g carb) and also regular no salt kidney beans which adds some carbs but is high fiber so it won't have a big impact.rxz2n0uefzx5.jpg
  • pwrfl1
    Options
    Way to Go Tiffany ! That chili looks good ! I was surprised to see the beans on CP's high carb list....I guess in the back of my mind , I figured the fiber would cancel out the carb ....Net carbs. Is what Atkins and other people preach religiously. I figure if it works for you go for it. Everybody is different and will react differently to different types of carbs. And as I figured out last week, strict adherence was not much of a factor when I stepped on the scale.
  • tiffkittyw
    Options
    pwrfl1 wrote: »
    Way to Go Tiffany ! That chili looks good ! I was surprised to see the beans on CP's high carb list....I guess in the back of my mind , I figured the fiber would cancel out the carb ....Net carbs. Is what Atkins and other people preach religiously. I figure if it works for you go for it. Everybody is different and will react differently to different types of carbs. And as I figured out last week, strict adherence was not much of a factor when I stepped on the scale.

I agree. I look at net carbs so if beans don't halt my weight loss than I'm going to eat them
  • Db8688
    Options
    Tiffany the chilli looks yummy! I"m a quest bar fanatic too! My current addiction is chocolate chocolate chunk. I buy from Quest nutrition site and Vitacost - depending on what other items I'm shopping for. I like the quest site because you can also mix and match single bars. They will give you a discount on the price as long as you buy 12 or more so it's a great option if you don't want 12 of the same bars. I was also wondering about the net carb factor and how that plays out in the CP cycle plan. Bon Apetit! :)
  • tiffkittyw
    Options
    Thanks DB! I guess we will have to do trial and error with net carbs.
  • pwrfl1
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Ok so for lunch I had deli turkey and pepper jack cheese and baby carrots, for dinner seasoned pink salmon pouch and carrots..... So far so good on the low carb day.

Tiffany- how was the chili ?
    DB- is quest bars sold in stores or only online ? Great job on your workout tonight, I'm going to have to see if Zumba is offered somewhere near me.
    Jill - Laura - bbloom- hope all is well with you guys.

If any of you know of some other carb cyclers please invite them to join up.... The more the merrier!

Sue
  • Db8688
    Options
    DB- Thank you for the recipe! I've been really wanting to try some type of protein pancake since I started and these sound awesome! I actually have a lot of different kinds of gluten free flours already purchased-including coconut. :) Before I was diagnosed, I loved to bake and decorate cakes/cupcakes so I did a lot of experimenting with different flours to keep baking while gluten free (it's a lot harder than it seems haha!) Anyway since I've been eating healthier the baking hasn't been happening much so it'd be nice to put all those flours to use.

Also- since you mention that you've tried a lot of different protein powders and bars, what's your favorite kind? My husband and I have been trying out the Quest protein and bars so far since a friend at work recommended them. The bars are amazing and I like the powder a lot but it definitely isn't cheap!

The cheapest good protein per serving I've found so far is Chocolite Protein by healthsmartfoods.com. I buy mine at Publx grocery stores. It's. 12.99 for a 14.7 oz bag and has 11servings per bag. Mixes well with water, comes in several flavors. 150 cals, 24g protein 3g fat. 8 Carbs 5g fiber also has vitamins and minerals . It's rich and a little sweet so I add extra water. Love vanilla in oatmeal or added to coffee. Chocolate tastes a bit like a Yoohoo drink. I like the quest chocolate but you only get 22 servings for $39,99. Vanilla quest is a bit too foamy for my liking.
  • tiffkittyw
    Options
    The chili was a hit. Even my husband liked it and is taking the leftovers to work tomorrow. I buy the Quest bars not the powder. I have seen the bars in stores like GNC.
  • pwrfl1
    Options
    Tiffany - that is the ultimate compliment when they want to take the leftovers !!! So what do you have planned for tomorrow - and is it your high carb day ?
  • pwrfl1
    Options
    DB - I love that you had tried all the powders - I'm always hesitant to try different ones bc usually they taste yuck ....and then I've wasted that money that just got thrown into the back of the pantry ! Thanks for the recommendations
  • pwrfl1
    Options
    Good morning Peeps ..... Another low carb day is on the books. And here is what I'm having tonight !! 5tyo6tbaz5wo.jpg
  • Db8688
    Options
    If I buy a powder that tastes bad I'll doctor it with different add ins (vanilla flavor, cinnamon, fruit, almond milk etc) just to keep from throwing it out. The only powder I absolutely could not tolerate no matter what was Sun Warrior Vegan Vanilla or something like that. It was HORRIBLE! I wound up giving half the cannister to a co worker. One thing you can do if you get a bad tasting powder is add it into a good tasting powder. I also really like the Muscle Milk Light in Chocolate flavor but it has a bit of a chemical after taste to me. I try to rotate between vegetable and whey proteins. Still haven't found a really good vegan brand yet. There's a Vitamin Shoppe store that opened up down the street from me. They happened to have Quest Bars on sale for $24.99 which is about the cheapest I've found them anywhere so far. The good thing about the Quest Site is that you can buy individual powder packets for $2.49 plus they usually offer a free packet if you order $26 worth of merchandise.
  • SpectacuLaura
    SpectacuLaura Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips/info everyone! I buy my Quest bars and powder from The Vitamin Shoppe. The macro breakdown is a little different for each type of bar but they're great meal replacements for my high carb days when I'm just not able to get to a proper meal. One of my coworkers said they're great if you cut them up into smaller pieces and bake them too- just like a warm cookie! I still need to try this :)