WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2015

Options

Replies

• terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Mary – you are so kind. I do try to be helpful, and I taught her “lead, follow, or get out of the way”, and she usually does her best. (usually depends where she is on the pendulum swing of bipolar).

DJ – DD lives in Winona Minnesota. It is about 2 hours south of the Twin Cities, and rarely has such severe crimes. It is a beautiful area, with trees, bluffs, wildlife, the Mississippi River, etc. // I don’t know for a fact that yogurt cultures help with viruses, but my Mom used to get cold sores often, and her doctor had her on acidophilus pills year round in hopes of reducing her outbreaks or reducing how long they last. I will keep wishful thinking. I don’t get cold sores more than once every few years (thank goodness).

Janetr – Juniors Dept?!?!? I don’t think I ever shopped in the juniors dept. I went from a girls 12 or 14 in college, to ladies 4 after first pregnancy (I’m 5’1”, or 5’ 2” on a good day). Congrats ! ! ! Don’t let that pesky little voice talk you into anything.

Heather and Barbie - Hooray for getting your medication. I hope it works for both of you.

Sue - Hugs and speed finding a new PCP.

Lunch is eaten, ½ of my paperwork is started, and I’ve been walking and/or dancing whenever I remember or something re-directs my attention. I do this without my phone, so it is a free burn that I can’t eat back. I am SO close to onederland, that I really need to stay on track and get it done this year (hopefully before Thanksgiving, but I don’t want to pressure myself). I’m good when I make goals, but not if I set myself on a time line for those goals.

I think tomorrow I will skip bowling with DS and DH (and Big Lots, because I’m still fully stocked on granola and water enhancer). I really need to focus on my new Embroidery Machine. I have told parents from bowling of my purchase, so I want to be ready if anyone asks me to embroider something for them. I plan on starting small, like on towels or t-shirts or something.

Back to work. Hugs ! ! !

Terri in Milwaukee
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Bumping in. Happy birthday to me. I've been reading but not saying anything. Best wishes to all.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,672 Member
    Options
    HAPPY BDAYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DRKATIEBUG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday, DrKatieBug!!!

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,328 Member
    Options
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY DR KATIE! ! :drinker: <3

Heather UK
    17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday!!!! Have a great day!!! Gayle Minneapolis
  • terri_mom
    Options
    Happy Birthday ! ! ! o:)
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    DamitJanit - no offense taken . . . I know that it will probably take a long time for my attitude about her to change; but, I am determined to at least try. You can bet your bottom dollar that I won't be saying anything to her that I disagree with her about - I've learned THAT ONE already! LOL! Only once in their married life (16 years) has she apologized to me about something and then she had to pull me out of the way to do so. When asked what we were talking about her answer was 'girl stuff'. Later on that night I commented about something and it made her mad (again). She just isn't someone that you can 'read' her moods. I can do this with my DH and DSs; mainly because all of us have hazel eyes (different colors each) that change other colors (different colors). So I don't even approach my sons when their eyes have changed colors. My normal shade is green speckled with gold; when mad or physically sick, they are pure amber (sprinkled with maybe a little green). Maybe that is why I have always been the fire-breathing MnL from Hell (but surely if I was my eyes would be 'red' lasers). My feelings might not ever change; but, I think they can improve. At least I have peace for myself. Keeping my mouth shut has been a 'learned' experience and usually I have to just leave the room or blood would be running over my lips trying to 'bite my tongue'. She is just not someone that I would have 'thought' my son would 'fall for'; he's never liked confrontation. I think I sometimes see things in her that I don't particularly like about myself. Trey has always been quite and reserved; Will, on the other hand, was always on the go and 'no' was not in his vocabulary. If he wanted something bad enough and you had told him 'no' and what the consequences would be if he went ahead and did it - he'd weigh the consequences with how badly he wanted it and usually do it anyway. Bad to sneak out of the house; one night it got very cold in our bedroom so I went to his room - freezing; but, turned on the lights and it looked like he was asleep under the covers. Very hot natured, so I really did not think much about the covers; until I went to close the window and found the screen unhooked. Went to the bed and jerked off the covers from the pillows he had strategically placed; so I locked the screen and the window, turned off the light, got back in bed and thought about it. Then I went to his room and rummaged through all the drawers and closets, found something I did not like finding ... and by that time, most of the furniture had been turned over. Like I had had a 'warrant' to search his room like on TV. Threw his mattress off and turned over his box springs. When I was satisfied that there wasn't anything else to find; I put the bed back together and short-sheeted the bed. I don't know how long he stood outside trying to decide if he could tolerate the cold or if he wanted to take his chances on who would answer the doorbell or knocking lightly on the front door. I did and walked ahead of him down the hall, not saying anything to him about being outside at 2:30am. Heard him pull back the covers and then I heard him grunting and groaning and finally he just got on top of the spread and slept. The next day I told him to clean up his mess and 'besides . . . I had found his stash and flushed it'. If he could have turned any whiter, he would have made the sheets seem dingy. He about 'cried'; and finally I handed it to him and said that he had exactly 15 minutes to get rid of it and back in the house and the time started ticking "now". I don't know what he did with it; but, he never brought any kind of contraband back into our home. I knew they were typical teenagers and if MJ was the only thing they tried, then I considered myself lucky. I just worried about his drinking. He doesn't drink liquor any longer; but, he still likes his beers, especially while working in the humidity and heat where he lives. And he has cut that way back, too! He's stopped cigarette smoking. Since he and Tami married he has done things that I never thought he'd do. Like going to church and dancing on a table in public for Father's Day. Although our DOS says he doesn't smoke ('that much') I do see him smoking on his back porch on occasion - usually when he is stressed out by being the 'only' male in a household of 4 women. He is turning gray very quickly and our DYS is getting bald about as quickly. Gee, I have enough habits I need to change myself, so I don't criticize them about theirs.

Watching Barnyard Builders - love it - could watch it all day long and never get tired of it. Reruns don't bother me; with my short-term memory loss it is usually 'new' until the very last 10 minutes (on anything).

We have a crate that Cracker sleeps in for the night (or we take her somewhere - not always to the vet) and she has a fleece bed in the den at the other end of the house, that has rolled edges. She gets in it; but now that she no longer has the cone on her head; she stretches out on it and has her head dangling off one end and her feet off the other and sometimes in a ball. She was so funny when the vet took the cone off; she lifted one foot and looked at it, took the other and lifted it and looked at it; and then she turned around to see her tail and the rest of her body. Then she looked up at him and wagged her tail and jumped up and kissed him almost in the mouth. She came home and when Louis said something about it, she just prissed herself over there as if to say, 'look at me' . . . 'I'm so beutimus'! Totally different dog, no longer bumping into everything and having to back out of most situations.

Lenora
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Drkatiebug- Happy Birthday! I hope you have a great day celebrating! :)

Grits - well then I'm glad I live in Minnesota! I just assumed that if we were like that every state would be. Thanks for the information!

Mary from Minnesota
  • Sunnygirl_2015
    Sunnygirl_2015 Posts: 184 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Happy Birthday Dr Katiebug : )

Terri_mom- Abreva is excellent for healing cold sores. You can purchase it at any drug store or Wal-mart, Target, etc. A little pricey but so worth it. The tube it comes in is little, but you only need a tiny bit and after the cold sore is gone you can be store whats left for a long time.

Barbie- I admire your commiment to your nightly dental routine. I was just given a tube of prescription strenght floride tooth paste to use 2 times a day, and then no rinsing with water and no eaing for 30 minutes after I brush. Hope that your leg pain is better. I wonder if a leg massage would help....

Just ordered a winter coat from Ll Bean that will ship to my DS, the college freshman. So done and done! We have no need for such clothing where I live B)

Finally, decided that the gym membership will start this week because something will always come up that will make me feel like I should put it off. I re-read Beth in NY words (posted on my mirror) from a while ago many times and have set on this; the fact is I need to to it, for ME o:)

Hope you're all having a great day.

<3 Rosie in So Cal
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday KatieBug.

Lenora, I love your stories about Cracker. The one now how she acted when she got her cone off just cracked me up.

Joyce, Indiana
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday DrKatieBug!
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    happy birthday Katie :)
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Terri - you made me laugh. I never really have either, but since losing weight I've gotten pretty narrow shouldered. I've never, ever had any boobs so not a problem. I also am about 5'2". Appreciate the well placed toe of your boot earlier. Thanks. :)

Janetr OKC
  • miakoda40
    miakoda40 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Janetr in OKC -
    janetr7476 wrote: »
    With Jack gone all week, already in the deep dark corner of my treacherous, betraying mind I was having these nasty little thots of "I can eat this, I can have that" while Jack is gone. So whoever has the big boots this week, please lace them up and administer a well placed reminder that this is FOR ME. All the time, forever and always not just when there is someone else looking. I am my own worst enemy.

BOOT! Jack being gone is not a reason to abandon your eating plan. No need to be a secret snacker.

Miriam – So sad to have to say good-bye to one of your furry companions. Do take solace in the many good years she had with you.

Terri in Milwaukee – Step away from the dipping chocolate. It does not have your best interests at heart.

Mia in MI

October goals:
    Continue to honestly log food every day
    Weigh and measure all food that I prepare at home
    Get at least 15 min per day of aerobic exercise
    64 oz. water (or what counts as water for my program) daily

Word for the month - PERSEVERE
  • cory17
    cory17 Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    Margaret - prayers in the hope your DH is recovering!
    Mary - have heard about the pickle juice for cramps, does it matter if sweet or dill?
    Michele - have hopes that soon I, too, will be needing those cartons. Been throwing them out but hoping, just hoping. A former coworker used to ask those around her to bring them in and she would give away the eggs, which was so nice.
    Kim - Didn't know the 99c stores were so different up north. In the LA area, we have milk, eggs, bread, bagels & tortillas, some fruits, veggies. When $ is tight, am able to do a lot of grocery shopping there, though the market specials are often better.
    Katla - I did it - signed up to bet on losing weight. It's not about competition. When really eat right and log conscientiously, loss happens but I've been gradually creeping back up and letting things get worse. With this I don't want to lose my $ and can tell myself that everytime think about (and reach for) eating those high cal processed foods (like the potato salad bought for dH in the fridge). I bought and ate a container of blue bunny sugar free double strawberry ice cream last week. Have to give myself reward/consequences before gain more.
    DJ - big, huge congrats for health improvement. Hope you are feeling better and better! 5.3 a1c is great!
    Sharon - will look and see if can find the dosage used in the referenced study and get back to you.
    Janet - I know you're past the point of "the BOOT says step away" but here it is anyway.
    Rosie - re your gym membership, when I first joined, took a while but eventually realized. Your mind can come up with excuses all day long but you only have regrets about not going.

Started cleaning out my office at home & chucking paper! Desk should be cleared off tonight.
    I am in awe of the many ladies on here who cook.

Linda in Calif
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Linda - it was dill pickle juice that I used. I was amazed at how quickly it worked. Almost instantaneously!

Mary from Minnesota
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,324 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Dr Katie
    t5if7ksb4weh.jpg

1. fopwo326w66s.jpg 2. sj5k6a0baa3a.jpg 3. zd8lk5laeelg.jpg

1. This is my after photo taken on 18th August at my Daughter's Civil Partnership Ceremony
    2. This is my before picture taken in Feb 2014 on our Northern Lights cruise
    3. This one was taken in August 2013

smiley-happy110.gif

:heart: (((Hugs))) and prayers for those who need them. :heart:

:star: Welcome to our Newbies! You will find a warm support team here! :star:

:star: Each one of us is a vital cog in an infinite universe. :star:
    We may not know our purpose, but each cog needs to be oiled and tended.

Irish Terri
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Katiebug - Happy Birthday sweet lady. I've been wandering about you and missing you. Hope all is well with you and your family.

Janetr OKC
  • terri_mom
    Options
    FYI to those struggling to work out and attend the gym: My best friend in Minnesota is still my best friend on Facebook. She calls the work-out facility her "boyfriend, Gym" and she feels good about spending time with him almost daily. Don't know if it will work for you, but here's to hoping ! ! !