WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2015

Options

Replies

• janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    3:42 and I haven't slept yet! I hate being an insomniac!

Mary from Minnesota

I'm so sorry and can identify. I wish there was some magic answer. My Fitbit says I slept for 3 hrs,28 min. Ugh, better than nothing tho. (((Hugs)))

Janetr OKC
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Margaret in Minnesota, I'm so sorry about your husband's diagnosis. I hope they are wrong... or if they're not, that it's at an early, early stage.

Lisa in West Texas
  • janetr7476
    Options
    Irish Terri thanks so much. Even I should be able to manage that. :)

Janetr OKC
  • janetr7476
    Options
    Margaret in MN - oh, sweetie, I am SO sorry to hear this news. Please know I will be praying for your husband and you. Lots of love and healing thots.

Janetr OKC
  • janetr7476
    Options
    Lisa -the pictures of your journey are awesome. Wow, you look terrific and should be very proud of yourself. Thanks for sharing.

Janetr OKC
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    So many prayers going up for you who need it now.

Cracker has been so easy to train; today it was misting outside and he did what she was supposed to do (pretty quickly); still not sure if she'll go outside when it is actually raining. I'm thinking about buying a raincoat for her; but, will wait until I take her in for her 'puppy bath' ad decide on if she likes water or not. MD appointment on Thursday, so I will stop and drop her off; and maybe pick her up after lunch, if they will let me do that. The vet let me do that the other day so I could run a couple of errands. Maybe Pet Smart will let me do the same. Don't want someone to hear her crying and whining and break into the car to get her out. She was so excited to see me that she put her head on my shoulders and wrapped her front paws around my neck. Mainly because there was a massive pit bull dog in the waiting room that the owner was having a time controlling it. Cracker rarely barks, is a fast runner and loves running round with my sons' 2 dogs; and running off 2 of their 4 cats. Tuxter-Muxter takes car of the 2 other cats. My DOS and his family have about 3 cats too many and maybe 1 dog too many; but, his wife doesn't know the concept of 'no' ..... I think they should get rid of a few of them because they don't take any of them (cats) who never go to the vet. The 'cute' little kitten has turned into a 'feral' cat. Jenn put it out so it would not destroy their house any further. Two of the cats stay outside since they are 'mousers'. One cat that does come inside won't use a kitty litter box under any set of circumstances. He is a wanderer.

I had a 'new' 1969 VW Beetle when I went off to art school; thankfully I did to take the 1960 Ford Fairlaine that we all called it "The Blue Bomb" from HS. Baby blue, heater, and radio and that was all it had on it; think the 'baby blue' was one way my Daddy knew what I was up to. Boyfriend had a 1956 Ford with a pink and gray paint job that he had restored. In the 60's it was a time when the guys would by an older car to restore. He taught me how to drive a 3-on-the-column. Another friend taught me how to drive a 4-in-the-floor - good thing since that was what my Beetle had.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,810 Member
    Options
    MnMargaret~ so sad to hear the news on DH, will keep him and you in my prayers. the saying is true,,, dont take life for granted...
    my DFIL has a cold so guessing thats where I picked it up... having a hot water with raw honey and cinnamon, and then will get dressed for work
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,720 Member
    Options
    q2tarve74ol8.jpeg
    0ea97fr00vul.jpeg

Finished product, I will type later

• miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Pip, that looks so much better!
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    MNMargaret, I will keep you and your DH in my thoughts, I am so sorry to hear. Karen
  • pipcd34
    Options
    when i have time, i will post a pic of my scooter that has a side car
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Margaret - I am so sorry to hear about your DH's health! We are here to support you in anyway that you need. We will be praying for him and your family.(((hugs)))

Pip - your shoulder looks great! Have you had the go ahead to do more exercise?

Janetr - thanks! There are quite a few of us that have the trouble of not sleeping. I don't like to take any pills so I try to just relax.

I've got to do my StrongLifts 5X5 today and plan on taking a walk after that. We brought the storm windows in to paint that will be my job for the afternoon.

Have a great day everyone!

Mary from Minnesota
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    DH says that Cracker does not make a peep until she hears me getting out of bed. Nothing in front of him while he is making coffee and getting his thermos ready for the day and turning on all the lights. Last night when he closed the door to the bathroom to take a shower, she went over and laid down in front of it with her nose right next to the crack. The other night when he went outside she went to the back door and put her front paws on the floor and her nose through a small hole there because the floor sweep does not go all the way over; she had her butt up in the air. She was whining for him to come in; and I told her that 'if she did not move' he was going to open the door and bang her in the head with it. After several minutes she moved to the kitchen door and just sat there until he came in. She got caught in the door going out and would not come in (expecting him to go out with her). He told her that she'd just have to stay out, which she did; when she got ready to come in, she came to the door and barked once. She's not a barky-barky dog, not even when the dogs come down from my DOS's house. In fact, she will run them off. If they double-team tag her she will run off the male (who is afraid of his shadow) and then the lab will come up beside her. They don't hurt her, she just likes to run with them. She can totally outrun both of them. Only Luna gives her a go for he money. Jax (male dog) only sniffs at her; and, she doesn't like it so she'll bark or growl at him before he goes home - I'd say with his tail tucked between his legs; but, he doesn't really have a tail. It looks like a crushed beer can attached to his backside.
  • miakoda40
    miakoda40 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Mindy – Sorry for your worries about your daughter. It’s sad that she can’t learn from your experiences, but some things just have to be learned in person. I hope she comes through this life lesson a stronger person.

Becca – Your story about singing at work reminded me of a time when I would sing to my co-workers. I rather miss that. I wonder just how much I would bewilder people if I started up again.

Kim from N. California – In my experience (being a Midwest gal) an advantage of an urban area is being able to find a number of free or very reasonable events. What are your interests? I have 2 friends who have made new friends by joining book clubs and walking clubs. My area has meetings of discussion groups for various topics and workshops to learn new skills. Often the workshops do have a materials fee or some small fee for the instructor (some have a ridiculously huge fee) so those (if your area has them) might involve more money than you are comfortable spending.

MNMargaret – So sorry to hear that DH has cancer. Sending you great big squishy hugs and holding you in my heart as you navigate through this storm.

Mia in MI

October goals:
    Continue to honestly log food every day
    Weigh and measure all food that I prepare at home
    Get at least 15 min per day of aerobic exercise
    64 oz. water (or what counts as water for my program) daily

Word for the month - PERSEVERE
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Kim: Sending hugs your way. :heart: One or two ideas come to my mind for meeting good people. Are there service clubs in your area? Does your chamber of commerce have a list of them? Are there food kitchens for the hungry that need workers? You could meet good people and the cost to you would be minimal. Around here the food kitchens would require a food handler's card that verifies you don't have communicable diseases. Since you teach children's cooking classes you may already have one. :flowerforyou:

Sharon in Lethbridge: I was getting so much calcium that it was floating around in my bloodstream and in August my doctor warned me that it could trigger a heart attack. I cut back on it, but I still take daily calcium at a lower dose. I have not had a follow up blood test so far. :noway: As a child I had a puppy named Chico. :smile:

Lisa: You are amazing! I love the photo progressions. :flowerforyou:

MNMargaret: I'm sending prayers your way. I hope the surgery for your DH goes well. :heart:

Pip: WOW! You are healing very well after your surgery. Congratulations! :flowerforyou:

We put our honeycomb blinds back up in the bedroom window & I slept in there for the first time in days. The widths no longer match the windowpanes and we'll eventually replace them with new ones that fit better, but they work well enough for the time being. Today I'd like to put up the ones in the living room. They won't match either, and will also have to be replaced. I would like to replace all of them with the same thing we already have, only sized to match the structure & proportion of the new windows. The old windows had to be replaced because they had dry-rot problems & were failing. We just did the worst of them this time. I expect to replace more later on. :ohwell:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

October Goals :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • fanncy0626
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I know that some of you might be doing the five-day fast that I had the 8 pound 9 inches loss on.

So here are my post fast results. I went back to eating normal food. Which meant we went out for Chinese and had bacon that evening! A lot of salt! The next day and I gained 1 pound. Then the following day I stayed within 1300 cal but had stirfry with soy sauce and sweet chili sauce. Gained .2 pounds. My eating of food that has high sodium value I think added to water retention. Also I felt clogged up. The next day I gained one more pound it'll total of 2.2 pounds. I know that on the diet I eat clean. Even when I made stirfry on the diet there was no added soy sauce or sugar. On the diet we both noticed that we Felt like it was acting like a cleanse as well.

I am back to losing weight again after gaining of 2.2 pounds post fast. Today I am down .4 pounds. Not a big change but going in the right direction. I did not regain any of the inches that I lost! That is a very positive result. My husband experienced similar results. He regain two pounds but has since lost them and is also losing again.

What I learned is that eating clean healthy food makes a difference in water retention and digestion. It makes me want to eat clean and healthy. I really need to cut down on the sodium.

I think that this diet was a success for me and my husband. We are going to continue and do it once a month through the end of the year.

Mary from Minnesota
  • jsowa98
    jsowa98 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this post. I've been looking for a community like this. I've been using FP for a couple months. I work out 3-6 times a week. I do a 5K 3 times a week, strength train, pilates, areobics, and yoga. I eat mainly a whole food diet and mostly vegetarian but I'm having such a hard time losing weight! I'm strong and have great endurance but can't shed the pounds. I'm 52 and, due to surgery, am post menapausal. Any suggestions.
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Happy Wednesday ! ! !

Becca – Yes. I miss the social aspect of life. I have some friends now, but most of them have slowed down. I have some friends that are parents of my son’s teammates, but most of those are seasonal, and most of the boys don’t cross-sport like my DS does. At the Honor Flight Saturday, I ran into a Delta employee that I talked to last month. She recognized me immediately, and we walked toward each other, hugged, then she hugged my Dad, whom she had never met. But I did show her the pictures of his face when he fell last month, and she told him how much better he looked. When we were leaving the airport, my Dad says “you make friends anywhere and everywhere, don’t you?” Of course he knew the answer to that. // One year I was working in the parking lot of Miller Park for Brewer’s games, and I got a quiet entry, so I spent my 4 hour shift singing just about every song I could think of, from Opera to 50’s and 60’s to Country. Just belted it out to my heart’s content. Some people looked at me like I was crazy, so I smiled. Fun ! ! ! Even as a little kid I dreamed of “being discovered” while singing for no reason. But, I keep singing because it is fun. I’m just not ready to grow-up and act like an adult. Hugs back ! ! ! (I like 3 ! in a row.)

Barbie
    – your structure and drive is an inspiration. I wish I could be the same. Maybe when I don’t have DS to cart around. Keep it up and Thanks ! ! !

DJ
    – I hope you love Big Lots as much as I love them. The problem is I rarely get out of there spending less than ½ of my paycheck. With the deals, and how their supply changes, I just have to buy a bunch of anything that I like. Enjoy ! ! !

Mindy – Hugs for DD and the enablers in her life. Tough love is painful, especially for the parent. I support you ! ! ! (((((((((( Numerous Hugs ))))))))))

Joyce – We still go to Sam’s Club for samples.

Kim – I just bought a cheap Brother ($275). It has 7 fonts for letters, and that’s what interests me. You are my inspirations for embroidery. Your machine, however, looked overwhelming, but I’m sure I can figure out mine. I will continue to feel you behind me (or on my shoulder) while I learn. // HealthCare : It is just not possible to make every single person happy with any policy. Some are effected differently, and everyone has different needs. No offense intended to Grits, but I just skip over those paragraphs, because my situation is probably completely different from anyone on this thread, and I want to stay happy. // Although it is highly unlikely that I will ever live in your area, I hope that we can continue to be friends in this venue. (((((Hugs))))) across the miles ! ! !

Sharon – I can tell you are a free spirit. Not everyone literally hugs people. On the internet it is easy to type. When it is right you will feel it. And if at an early part of your life someone pulled back from you, that’s bound to stick. Just keep being you ! ! ! (((((Hugs)))))

Work "huddle" then lunch coming up soon, so I need to send this off so it doesn't get lost in cyber-space like earlier this week. No late-night dipping chocolate, just my yogurt/granola.

In the meantime, Hugs for Everyone ! ! !

Terri in Milwaukee
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    jsowa98 - welcome to the site! It sounds like you work out a lot! It sounds like you eat healthy! Have you taken your measurements to see if you were losing inches?

Mary from Minnesota
  • pipcd34
    Options
    fanncy - no go ahead til next visit, 11/10. still on the sling.