WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2015

Options

Replies

• miakoda40
    miakoda40 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Miriam -
    Yes the rod for a knee was real. No, it wasn't scary. I have worked on inpatient psych wards and in institutions, so my reaction was not "normal". I just told him to hurry up and get his clothes on. And we did go out for coffee. But I figured out pretty quickly that he had a major issue with the flashing thing. Still trying to figure out how that would develop in a person. Like I said, I am far too accepting of bad behavior in others so it was smart to quit dating.

LOL! I can just imagine this. I also wonder what his reaction to you was. Not getting a “normal” reaction must have been unsettling for him.

Mia in MI

October goals:
    Continue to honestly log food every day
    Weigh and measure all food that I prepare at home
    Get at least 15 min per day of aerobic exercise
    64 oz. water (or what counts as water for my program) daily

Word for the month - PERSEVERE
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,803 Member
    Options
    morning again kids~
    well went down to feed DFIL he isnt feeling well, think he has a nasty cold, his throat sounds scratchy and he is sleeping alot even when he is in his wheelchair at the dining table..
    he didnt eat much 1/2 his cereal and some toast and a glass of milk..
    my friend Bob that is leaving tomorrow for another senior living place, I brought him a little care package... got him a nice towel set, a circle word book and some scratch off tickets,some soap,toothbrushes and toothpaste...
    got a big hug and a kiss, he is a sweet guy, and there will be a huge void when he leaves...
    Dropped off all the paperwork down to the new nursing home and hope we get a call soon...
    contractor is working on the roof today where the leak is, then another company is coming between 12-4 for the pellet stove.. have the laundry all set too...
    after taking care of DFIL went and took care of Faith, have to go up and get her dinner, she has my number if she needs anything..
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Our neighbors have guineas that run all over the place, our one acre is attached to their 11 acres. They start out with nine or so in the Spring, but there is a big fox that lives back by the creek and apparently loves to have them for dinner. We are down to two right now. But they eat ticks and fleas so are good to have around. They also have llamas, started with two and there have been three babies born and mama llama is due to have another one any time. They are so cute when they are first born. There are also three goats. There was more goats but Billy died of old age and a pack of three dogs attacked and killed two of the other goats about two years ago now. I love watching all the animals out the Florida room windows. We also have a couple of resident hawks. One is huge.

Janetr okc
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Good morn,all. Seems like I only get on here close to months end :/

Margaret,sending hope & prayers for you & your husband.Thank heaven he went to Dr when he did.May he find a
    surgeon who finds great news.
    DH's Grmother died of uterine cancer,another one with no symptoms. That was yrs ago,so info might have changed.

Pennywe saw a show on tv about a man looking for a place to live near Svalbard,Norway. We enjoyed seeing the area.Wished it had been longer.

DH has had several more problems that had them calling in more Drs.......so very stressful.After all that,happy to say he got a clean bill of health. :) He was wondering if he would make our planned cruise in Dec. Told him,if we do,fine....if not,no problem.What is that saying about fate laughing when we make plans?

Barb,hope you feel better soon.Not easy to walk while using a boot.

CarolNC Good for you......I know a woman who would check out the Christian dating site for months with no results.After nearly a yr,she found a great guy. Lots of posters on the board have also found their prince.He might be out there looking for you!

Well,haven't answered more as I only read 2 pages. We will go out for dinner,so to miss Beggars Night.DD Has so many on her street,last yr she put the candy on her porch! HAPPY HALOWEEN

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,709 Member
    Options
    morning peeps -

damnit - still wearing the sling. after i take it off and the doc gives me more exercises to do, THEN i'll tell u how it feels

barbiecat - i am sure he will b taking another xray 2c if the bone has grown together (fused), we'll c

janetr - :0) i am here for your enjoyment !

whippet - i loved your poocher pic that you had posted earlier, meant to say

won't foret u glowormin!!

terririchard - u r getting there!!

fanncy - i LOVE snow when it comes, (i still ride in it)

csofled - not pizza and not sitting on the couch.. i would get that person out of the house!

cityjanelondon- {{{{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}

well, tomorrow morning around 2:30am we will get up and leave for the airport. Kirby does his marathon and I will be walking w/Janie (sis). today Kirby is off so he is taking the bug to get new disc brakes put in. he started up the ins. so we can drive it, it's gonna b our sunday putter for quick short trips. mom and some family r going to see the shoulder for the first time (have texted them pics but not the same).
    I am working on my last week of the 6 weeks that I'm supposed to wear the sling but decided to keep it on until my next app. (11/10) then we'll c what's shakin.

type to ya later
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Sorry I've been missing a lot lately. So much going on! Yesterday I had a ton of drafting to do, and it was all needed ASAP, or so they said. Last night was gymnastics and then watched the world series. Today I have a ton of bowls to glaze and get the kiln going, then piano lessons after school, then homework. Then from 6-8 pm I'm going to a little workshop on "Art as a Business" over at the college.

My friend and I walked a different walking path today, so that was fun. Our town is busy adding several biking/walking trails around town, and supposedly someday they will be connected together. Hopefully it will be in my lifetime, but things move rather slowly sometimes.

Yesterday I had an appointment with my cardiologist. He said it sounds like my carotid arteries are clogged so he's sending me for an ultrasound to check that out. Must not be too urgent though, since they scheduled it for November 13th.

My son called me this morning and told me that he was in the kitchen yesterday and the DGS (age 6) came in and was talking to him. He told his dad that this has been the best year of his life. My son asked what made it the best year and he said that he's glad he gets to live with his dad and visit his mom, and that he gets to see grandma every day! OK, that made me cry. That little guy is getting hugged this afternoon whether he likes it or not.

I have got to get busy! Have a great day everybody!

Sylvia
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Sylvia: "My son called me this morning and told me that he was in the kitchen yesterday and the DGS (age 6) came in and was talking to him. He told his dad that this has been the best year of his life. My son asked what made it the best year and he said that he's glad he gets to live with his dad and visit his mom, and that he gets to see grandma every day! OK, that made me cry. That little guy is getting hugged this afternoon whether he likes it or not."

That little guy is the sweetest thing, and both smart and wise. You are a blessing in his life. :heart:

katla in beautiful & overcast NW Oregon
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Janet, if guineas eat fleas, I need to get some! We have had a horrid year this year with fleas. I have NEVER had a problem with fleas, in spite of my house full of cats. This year I have been battling them all summer long and they are STILL a problem! I just ordered another type of flea control product, since I am wondering if the fleas haven't evolved to be resistant to Frontline. My vet says that even people who have ONLY indoor pets are getting fleas this year! I have been spending close to $200/ month on flea control. I have never had to use it on the indoor cats!
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Miriam - I saw on the news a couple of months ago that fleas have been a big problem this year across the country. The doggies did have an tick here and there, Jack checks them most every time they come inside from being out for very long. We have seen no fleas at all. They are mainly indoor dogs, but Flash (Boston terrior, way big for a BT) loves to be on squirrel patrol in the pecan orchard and will spend hours out there at times. Charro, the Chihuahua, is more of a mama's girl and will come in and follow me around the house.

Janetr OKC
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Happy Thursday ! ! !

Kim
    – I was unable to learn my embroidering machine last night. I had to process my Avon, and I cannot, under any circumstances, miss a new episode of Criminal Minds. If grocery shopping is quick tonight I should have some time before bed. I was thinking of starting with my son’s name on the back of a random t-shirt or on a towel. What do you suggest as my first attempt?

Becca – My DH was addicted to Facebook. // I bet your Mom and Grandma are floating above the front row. Why would they stay in back if they are not in anyone’s way? // I hope you get an experience (whisper) at the haunted theater. Be sure to let me know ! ! !

Miriam/Pip - One time while working retail a man called my department and said “Do you give he@d?” I responded “not on little ones like yours”. It amazes me how many weirdos are in the world. Hugs for that uncomfortable experience, Miriam.

Rosie/Heather – I’m going to grab a Cornish hen (or more) tonight while shopping, to eat over the weekend. I attempted to make them a few months ago, seasoned, in the crock pot. When I got home I saw the button still off, so they went directly to the garbage outside. I think it is time to try again.

Carol
    – cyberhugs and wishes for a wonderful, relaxing trip.

Kim (or anyone looking to broaden their horizons)
    – I do live VERY close to Milwaukee, and there are SO many things to do, and the price ranges would blow you over. Anyway, there is an online newsletter I get weekly, called onmilwaukee.com and they offer suggestions of things to do around the area. Some are free or super-cheap, like brewery or winery tours (some of the breweries do charge a few dollars, but you get pop or adult beverages at the end). All the way up to the Charity Balls that are hundreds or thousands of dollars per plate. One of my Dad’s favorite events (no, I’m not trying to age you, it just happens to be my Dad) is Free Movie Screenings. There are websites, radio station sites, blogs, etc where you can get the screening passes (you must have internet and a printer). The people who go to most of the screenings have created their own little sub-culture. I can go alone to a screening, and at least a dozen people will recognize and talk to me, and ask me why I didn’t bring my Dad (he rarely misses a screening; he goes several times per week). I am also a big fan of Park/Rec departments. You just never know what uncovered talent you might find by taking a cheap class. Then, when I lived in Minnesota, I wanted to make more friends, bring more business into my restaurant on quiet days, and learn to crochet, so I started a Crochet Club. I took out free advertisements in the University newspaper, hung up signs anyplace around town that would let me, etc. When I moved to the Milwaukee area, we had 20 people (all ages, both genders) that came. A few times a year we would ask whomever was interested to donate a few dollars and we would rent a huge room or hall to have a Knit-in. People would call to give us donations of money or yarn, we would knit or crochet as much as possible, then donate everything made that day to the Hospital or Women’s Shelter or whomever asked. Those events, in turn, would give us more free advertising, which would in turn create more people interested in hanging out with us. So, feel free to take the lead and create your own group of friends. Yada-yada-yada. How off topic can I possibly get ?!?!? So, Hugs to everyone for making more and new friends !

All kinds and ages of High School kids came out to Bowling Try-outs yesterday. We should easily have 3 teams of 9-10 kids each. DH was offered whichever team he wants as head coach; I think he is leaning toward Varsity Girls again. The Manager asked me about DS trying out for basketball, so that is a worry (it’s hard to lose an anchor even for 1 match, and if he makes basketball, it will put bowling in second place in his mind). DH was also talking to a parent/coach of the Baseball team, who asked him to co-coach the Spring Ball this upcoming year. That parent/coach said he was surprised that DS got cut from the team, and is certain it won’t happen again this year for JV. Having his dad be a coach will help (somedays I hate politics, some days it works in my favor).

DD seems to be doing good since losing her friend last week. The “female” joke is from her Facebook page. She is just so sensitive that I really worry about her when any life must come to an end.

Stayed on course with my food yesterday, but it was tough. I had about an hour-long hotflash around 1:00am, so I ate my yogurt/granola REALLY slow. I found comedians on Pandora, so working out longer on the bike is a little easier. Today I will go to the Greek grocery store to stock up on lettuces (and hopefully get a guinea fowl), vegetables and fruits. Produce is 10 cents each, so I’ll have to weigh it all to make sure it is a good deal.

Hugs for Everyone ! ! !

Terri in Milwaukee
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Afternoon Ladies,

Barbie, we just learned “Come Dance With Me” for the first time on Tuesday. I like all the ones that I can remember the steps to. Lol The only other one I can remember the name of at the moment is the San Antonio Stroll.

Carol, I’m so glad you are getting out. It’s a nice change even if you don’t find Mr right. Have a wonderful get away. The weather should be nice for you.

Rori, glad you are back. I hate you don’t get to visit with us when you are traveling. I’m impressed that you keep up with your exercise so well. Way to go, girl!!

Mary, I hope the new sleep times work out well for you. All that talk about insomnia and I couldn’t go to sleep last night. I got up at 1:00 and took a sleeping pill and it still took another hour before I went to sleep. I can feel a nap planned for this afternoon. smiley-sleep013.gif

Gloria, we won’t forget you. But hopefully you can drop in just to give us an update on occasion? You don’t have to try to keep up with all the posts. Good luck on house hunting.

Sharon, so glad Larry is doing well. I’m sure he will be happy to get home.

Penny
    , that was so nice of you to do the slideshow for the students. Take care of that hip.

Allison
    , how wonderful it would be if you could move DFIL so close to you. You are such an angel to him. The other residents there will miss you if/when DFIL moves.

Kimses, congrats on the weight loss. Keep up the good work.

Terri, I like your “female” breakdown.

Irish
    , congrats on your loss. Things are moving in the right direction so that’s great.

Cheri, that wasn’t much of a rant. I do empathize with you and know how hard it can be to deal constantly with family members that have mental issues. ((((Hugs)))) They are lucky you are there for them but remember to take care of yourself.

MNMargaret, glad the choir went better and that you have met a new friend there. Have you seen the Oncologist yet?

Heather, have a good visit with your friend at lunch tomorrow.

Pat, glad DH got a clean bill of health. Why is it you only come see us at the end of the months? We’d love to see you more often. (((Hugs)))

Pip, I do hope you get a good report from the doctor. I know you will be happy when you get to go back to your normal routine. Have a good weekend and enjoy your walk.

Sylvia, it almost made me cry reading about your DGS liking to see grandma every day. How sweet!!!!!!!

welcome.gif to any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

The rain seems to have stopped but this morning was still overcast. Since I didn’t get to sleep until late last night, I slept late this morning. After my cup of coffee I watched a movie I had recorded on TV, so it was a lazy morning. I wish you all good health and happiness as this week and month wind down. rose.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies! I went to bed at 2 AM. It took a short time to fall asleep but I slept until 6 o'clock when my DH got up. I then went back to sleep until 7 o'clock. I did hit the snooze two times. I got a lot accomplished last night and I did not feel like I was wasting my time tossing and turning in bed. I will try it again tonight. What I am thinking of doing is setting the alarm clock earlier each day and trying to go to bed a little earlier each day until I get a schedule closer to my DH's.

I went swimming this morning with my sister-in-law and friend for the first time since spring. I am going to do kettle bell swings's before lunch.

Have a great day everyone!

Mary from Minnesota
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    Hello ladies! I went to bed at 2 AM. It took a short time to fall asleep but I slept until 6 o'clock when my DH got up. I then went back to sleep until 7 o'clock. I did hit the snooze two times. I got a lot accomplished last night and I did not feel like I was wasting my time tossing and turning in bed. I will try it again tonight. What I am thinking of doing is setting the alarm clock earlier each day and trying to go to bed a little earlier each day until I get a schedule closer to my DH's.

Mary from Minnesota
    Mary - I can totally relate to this. I'm a night owl and my husband's a lark. As long as he's at home I feel obliged to go to bed at the same time as he does. And then I toss and turn for a couple hours. But when he's away I freewheel in time. My natural day appears to be about 25½ to 26 hours long so if he's away for a week I end up going to bed at 2 and getting up at 9. I too would like us both to be in the same time zone.

Ooops! My students are ready for me now. Gotta go!

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,355 Member
    Options
    Dinner on its final warm through - the remains of the guinea fowl in a butternut squash, spinach and pea curry. <3

Feeling a little off, so I had a short nap. My back aches. I didn't do my heavy weights this morning in case I've strained something, but it feels more fluey.
    I managed some writing, but still didn't get to the important bit. :embarassed: Making progress though. It could account for the back ache. :*
    DH spent the afternoon opening a new savings account and then took my letter I had written with questions about the will to the solicitor and posted a birthday card to his brother in Australia.
    Today DH finished his book! It is his 4th one in his Anglo Saxon detective series. He has printed it out and both of us will read it for editing before he publishes it on Amazon. I think one or two of you have read some of them. He called the previous ones part of the 'Winfreth Trilogy' on the title page, so this will be the 4th book in the trilogy! ! ! :laugh: I think there will be a 5th. :noway:

Good TV cop show on tonight. 'Unforgotten'. Really enjoying it. That's rare these days. I find I am watching less and less Drama.

Looking forward to seeing my friend tomorrow. Rainy day, so it will be a nice change. I too would like a few more FFs out here in the countryside. I just love to sit and have a natter, really hashing over life and all that. My favourite activity! :laugh:

Heather UK
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,803 Member
    Options
    well I have 2 men up on the roof with a 6 ft by 2 ft hole in the roof, and there are huge dark menacing clouds swirling around the house.. Heaven's to betsy.... alot of rot under where they took the roof off, still waiting on the pellet stove people,between 12-4 they say, yea uhuh ok....
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,709 Member
    Options
    "Miriam/Pip - One time while working retail a man called my department and said “Do you give he@d?” I responded “not on little ones like yours”. It amazes me how many weirdos are in the world. Hugs for that uncomfortable experience, Miriam."

hahaha!! love it Terri_mom!!!

fanncy - every time i go visit family in california ESPECIALLY my bro, i end up staying up 24hrs. swimming will be relaxing when you can't sleep.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,092 Member
    Options
    DJ
    More tests and appointment with kidney specialist Wednesday. It turns out to be the same doctor the secretary's husband had and he thought he was great!

:heart: Margaret
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,355 Member
    Options
    Margaret - <3
  • bjkidfun
    bjkidfun Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    :)
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    No matter what time I go to sleep; I want my husband to wake me up when he does so I can get a cup or two of "fresh" coffee; nothing worse that trying to warm over cold coffee - it is always bitter tasting. Sometimes I go to be at 10:30pm and sometimes it is 12:30pm, I can always go back to sleep and do, usually waking up at 8:15am at the earliest.