Anyone fancy doing a juice detox?

Options

Replies

• blitz2011
    blitz2011 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    blitz2011 wrote: »
    What toxin are you allegedly removing that your bodily processes don't already handle?

Maybe calling it a detox is putting it in a box with all these scam powder things that have popped up, I did it and can happily say it's the healthiest I have felt in many many years.

The word "detox" puts it into a box based on words meaning things.
    Well toxins can be specific to people "technically" could be many things...

Yet you still can't name one of those many possible things. That is revealing.
    I take it as driving from all the processed stuff normally consumed, but if you want one thing, alcohol is a toxin...

• blitz2011
    Options
    My take on it is this--you say you've done this before and lost a lot of weight, felt great, wonderful skin...... BUT you gained it all back. This is not what the majority of us want to do here. We want to lose the weight, feel and look better and KEEP IT OFF. Now that's the hardest by far. Good luck with your juicing. This sounds like yo-yoing to me.

I don't want to be yo yoing but it happens to me... I lost lots doing diet/excercise a few years ago and did not Keep off as long as with the juicing.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    What toxin are you allegedly removing that your bodily processes don't already handle?

Maybe calling it a detox is putting it in a box with all these scam powder things that have popped up, I did it and can happily say it's the healthiest I have felt in many many years.

I take it as driving from all the processed stuff normally consumed, but if you want one thing, alcohol is a toxin...

Which the liver already removes. Drinking juice has nothing to do with it. I await your next logic failure.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    blitz wrote:
    I did a 60 day juice detox last year and lost over 3 stone
    That's over 5 pounds per week.
    Your ticker shows you have 78 to lose. 5 lb / week is too fast.
    When I started working on losing weight, I was about 110 lb too heavy, and there were weeks I lost 5 lb.
    Not every week, certainly, and that was with eating about 500 cal below my BMR + exercising nearly every day.
    (No eating back exercise calories... kinda defeats the purpose.)
    My doctors were quite happy with me, and monitored my progress.

BTW, what exactly are you "detoxing"?
    What does this program remove from your body?
    If your kidneys, liver, lungs, & skin aren't removing wastes from your body, no dietary change is going to
    save you - you need to be in hospital, in intensive care.

Perhaps your health improved because you were finally getting the nutrition you needed?
    Even being fat, it's entirely possible you were malnourished.
    When you stopped eating so much produce, and went back to the way you had been eating, not only did you
    regain the weight (because you hadn't learned how to eat healthfully), but your skin problem came back because
    you were once again deficient in nutrients.

If you eat the foods, your body registers that you're full.
    If you puree them & drink them, you're getting the fiber, which is good, but the body doesn't register the
    calories in the same way, which is why you can feel hungry sooner.
    If you're removing the fiber, you're doing yourself a disservice and the liquid will go through your stomach
    that much faster, making you hungry sooner, and causing problems in your intestines because they have
    nothing to push on.

And yes, definitely spend the time to read SideSteel's post(s), plus those he linked to.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/821828-detoxes-and-cleanses
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/927327-cleanse-why-you-are-lucky-they-don-t-work
    http://www.burnthefatinnercircle.com/members/colon-cleansing-scam.cfm
    http://www.biolayne.com/nutrition/detox-diet-scams-and-product-scams-get-called-out-by-real-scientists/
    http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/fashionable-toxins/
    http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/toxins-the-new-evil-humours/
    http://theness.com/neurologicablog/index.php/the-detox-scam/
    http://sciencebasedpharmacy.wordpress.com/2013/01/04/the-detox-delusion/

• Spike_G
    Spike_G Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I fear no amount of facts will dissuade some that they require detoxing :(
  • blitz2011
    Options

Which the liver already removes. Drinking juice has nothing to do with it. I await your next logic failure.
    Ok u better go around the Internet and let them know u changed the definition... http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/detox
  • brianpperkins
    edited October 2015
    Options

Ok u better go around the Internet and let them know u changed the definition... http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/detox

Detox is short for detoxify, requiring removal of a toxin, something your juicing does not do.

Logic, try it.

Also, "u" is not a word. It is a letter.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options

choofed.gif
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    Why not just focus on whole, nutritious foods within your calorie goal, incorporating a glass or two of juice into your day?
    Wedding in 5 months... My plan is to do that after the detox.

So I got married last weekend, and amazingly I never had to juice or "detox" to get into my dress - which was purchased only 6 weeks before the wedding. 5 months is enough time to slim down a bit without being reckless with your health.
  • PrizePopple
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Seems to be a lot of hate for this from a lot of people that have not tried it, it's a shame really. I WILL be doing this starting tomorrow, if anyone has any questions about it I will happily answer them from experience, maybe I should blog or start a new dedicated post about it...

Yeah, please don't.
  • blitz2011
    Options

Detox is short for detoxify, requiring removal of a toxin, something your juicing does not do.

Logic, try it.

Also, "u" is not a word. It is a letter.
    "Okay" I am pretty sure you are trolling me now, if not please google "detoxify"...
  • blitz2011
    Options
    Seems to be a lot of hate for this from a lot of people that have not tried it, it's a shame really. I WILL be doing this starting tomorrow, if anyone has any questions about it I will happily answer them from experience, maybe I should blog or start a new dedicated post about it...

Yeah, please don't.
    Congratulations on getting married! :)
    I'm reading both sides of things, I have done it before and felt great, it's not like I am lying to sell something, I am just telling you how it was for me, not sure why you would not want to hear both sides...
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

Yeah, please don't.
    I'm reading both sides of things, I have done it before and felt great, it's not like I am lying to sell something, I am just telling you how it was for me, not sure why you would not want to hear both sides...

But you are asking others to join you and we are pointing out how silly this is.
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    Your previous attempts were so successful that you have to do it again. Severely restrict, lose, then gain back when eating real food.
  • blitz2011
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Yeah, please don't.

But you are asking others to join you and we are pointing out how silly this is.

I have done it and felt amazing, I'll blog about it and hopefully any concerns you/ppl have can and will be dealt with, it seems to be a fiery topic...
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Yeah, please don't.

I have done it and felt amazing, I'll blog about it and hopefully any concerns you/ppl have can and will be dealt with, it seems to be a fiery topic...

Awesome, I was thinking you were not getting it!!
  • PrizePopple
    Options

Yeah, please don't.

Thank you. :)

There is no way possible that you are going to do juicing only for 30 days and hit your needed caloric goals, especially as a male. You're just not. Also, anything that removes fiber from the equation sends up red flags for me (I'm the biggest cheerleader of fiber around these parts).
  • niniundlapin
    niniundlapin Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I see juicing as a form of digestion outside of my body... so, nope.
  • blitz2011
    Options
    Your previous attempts were so successful that you have to do it again. Severely restrict, lose, then gain back when eating real food.
    For the record, I did the juicing once before, and after I had a sort of food revolution and was cooking healthy non processed food from scratch every day, I did this for 7 months and then went on holiday, I "let my self go" and even once back I could not get out of "holiday mode" and kept eating bad like before. I also lost lots of weight through diet/excercise a few years ago but I was eating poorly then and put it back on after a holiday again... The juicing and healthy eating after was the best thing that happened to my in a long time, for people that have not done it to hate on it so much is puzzling.

• blitz2011
    Options

Yeah, please don't.

Thank you. :)

There is no way possible that you are going to do juicing only for 30 days and hit your needed caloric goals, especially as a male. You're just not. Also, anything that removes fiber from the equation sends up red flags for me (I'm the biggest cheerleader of fiber around these parts).
    With my job I sit on a seat for 12 hours a day! I drink 3-5 pints of juice a day, I would say I am not as much of a deficit as you would think.
    I was worried about the finer thing but the whole "digestion/expulsion" system was a lot better than I thought it was going to be.

This discussion has been closed.