Replies

• forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    cmtigger wrote: »
    blitz2011 wrote: »
    I like healthy skin, hair, and nails too. It's too hard to get that back after starving your body of protein.

Nope, no juice fast.
    I'm not ruling out protein... I did last time mostly and my skin was better than ever :)

How will you get protein. Even raw vegans have to Plan carefully to get enough, and they have access to nuts. There isn't anything you can juice with enough protein to maintain, hair, skin, nails and muscle.

Contrary to popular belief there are plenty of veggies that have protein. I'm vegan and even on days I don't eat nuts I still meet my protein goals.

To the OP, I do not recommend juice fasting though. It makes much more sense to just do a raw vegetable and fruit cleanse if you're going to do it, because then you still have the fiber. Juice cleanses can mess up your bodies ability to digest food properly once you return to normal eating. I actually became vegan because I wanted to do a temporary "cleanse" of all the meat, cheese, dairy, and I felt so good and I learned so much about the ethical side of it that I decided to make the change permanent. Also, do not try to do this as a means to lose weight. You will regain nearly all of the weight you lose once you return to eating regular foods. If you do it, do it for your health, not weightloss.
  • forgtmenot
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I did it last year and kept it all off for 7 months then went on holiday and got back into old habits... I was not starving and actually felt amazing :)
    This is just a kick start and it really helped me with food management and cravings last time.

If you did it last year and it worked so well, why would you have to do it again?
    Don't get me wrong I really appreciate the feedback and I will read into it more but I did it and I know how healthy it made me feel, my skin condition disappeared for almost 9 months, I felt great.

This was likely due to cutting out meat and dairy, not because of the juice. My skin has cleared immensely since becoming vegan.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Did you ever think that your hair/skin etc were healthier because you were consuming fruits and vegetables? there's nothing miraculous about grinding them into juice form! Maybe just eat more fruits and vegetables as part of a regular diet.
    You're obviously set on this mistake, but for newbies researching "detox" or "juicing", I hope they'll read these comments and recognize that eating a balanced diet (read-EAT. not drink)-will provide the health benefits one needs and that yes, you still need fiber and protein.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    forgtmenot wrote: »
    I like healthy skin, hair, and nails too. It's too hard to get that back after starving your body of protein.

Nope, no juice fast.
    I'm not ruling out protein... I did last time mostly and my skin was better than ever :)

How will you get protein. Even raw vegans have to Plan carefully to get enough, and they have access to nuts. There isn't anything you can juice with enough protein to maintain, hair, skin, nails and muscle.

Contrary to popular belief there are plenty of veggies that have protein. I'm vegan and even on days I don't eat nuts I still meet my protein goals.

To the OP, I do not recommend juice fasting though. It makes much more sense to just do a raw vegetable and fruit cleanse if you're going to do it, because then you still have the fiber. Juice cleanses can mess up your bodies ability to digest food properly once you return to normal eating. I actually became vegan because I wanted to do a temporary "cleanse" of all the meat, cheese, dairy, and I felt so good and I learned so much about the ethical side of it that I decided to make the change permanent. Also, do not try to do this as a means to lose weight. You will regain nearly all of the weight you lose once you return to eating regular foods. If you do it, do it for your health, not weightloss.

I think you read my post wrong, but how many of the things that you eat for protein can be juiced without loosing a lot of protein? Or can even be juiced. (Blended is a whole different issue.)

Beans, nuts, seeds, avocados, they don't juice well. And raw vegans don't even do the beans.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I did it last year and kept it all off for 7 months then went on holiday and got back into old habits... I was not starving and actually felt amazing :)
    This is just a kick start and it really helped me with food management and cravings last time.

If you did it last year and it worked so well, why would you have to do it again?
    Don't get me wrong I really appreciate the feedback and I will read into it more but I did it and I know how healthy it made me feel, my skin condition disappeared for almost 9 months, I felt great.

This was likely due to cutting out meat and dairy, not because of the juice. My skin has cleared immensely since becoming vegan.

You can make 100g protein with just veggies

Wow, that's impressive
  • LuvtoBeme1
    LuvtoBeme1 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Holy Cow... Please do not hurt yourself. I am in to cleansing. I do a specific one three times a year.But I definitely eat!!!! It is just what I eat that changes and I add special herbal teas to help flush out my colon, kidneys and liver and get the lymphatic system to drain better. I never heard of anyone thinking starvation is healthy. How scary..I learned what I have been doing for decades from my dietitian. I stay the heck away from fads etc. Losing weight isn't worth dying over... Please look more towards health and longevity. I believe firmly that anything worth having is worth fighting for and that is exactly what a healthy lifestyle is. Not a gimmick or "quick"fix" there isn't any such thing.I pray you do what is best for your health.
  • forgtmenot
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Wow, that's impressive

The recommended protein requirement for women is not 100g. 100 is extremely high and there is actually no physiological reason to eat that much protein. In fact, diets high in animal protein are linked to heart disease and osteoporosis.
  • Sued0nim
    Options

Wow, that's impressive

The recommended protein requirement for women is not 100g. 100 is extremely high and there is actually no physiological reason to eat that much protein. In fact, diets high in animal protein are linked to heart disease and osteoporosis.

Really? Care to source that health link?

The recommended protein minimum is 0.64-0.8g per lb bodyweight when you are interested in hypertrophy

I weigh 158lb so my bare minimum would be 101g ...the OP is male, with 70lbs to lose, I assume he weighs more than me

So you can see why I'd be interested in your assertion that you can hit protein goals just with vegetables. What exactly is your goal?
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options

Wow, that's impressive

The recommended protein minimum is 0.64-0.8g per lb bodyweight when you are interested in hypertrophy

I weigh 158lb so my bare minimum would be 101g ...the OP is male, with 70lbs to lose, I assume he weighs more than me

So you can see why I'd be interested in your assertion that you can hit protein goals just with vegetables. What exactly is your goal?

You over quote the minimum all the time. 0.37g/lb (0.8g/kg) is the minimum recommended protein for the average person (USDA recomendation).

0.64g/lb is the recommended amount for bodybuilders to get maximum benefit (this covers most body builders). 0.82g/lb is additional markup to cover the most genetically gifted people (this covers essentially everyone).

http://bayesianbodybuilding.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/

So, unless your goal is optimal muscle building there is no reason to be eating even 0.64g/lb per day.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options

Wow, that's impressive

You over quote the minimum all the time. 0.37g/lb (0.8g/kg) is the minimum recommended protein for the average person (USDA recomendation).

0.64g/lb is the recommended amount for bodybuilders to get maximum benefit (this covers most body builders). 0.82g/lb is additional markup to cover the most genetically gifted people (this covers essentially everyone).

http://bayesianbodybuilding.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/

So, unless your goal is optimal muscle building there is no reason to be eating even 0.64g/lb per day.

So let's say you're not shooting for muscle building and just a goal of .5g/lb of protein (not the minimum for the average person, but also below the minimum for bodybuilders). A 120 lb. person would need 60g of protein. Are you able to get that with just vegetables?
  • Sued0nim
    edited October 2015
    Options

Wow, that's impressive

I said hypertrophy (building muscle)

Generally when I recommend protein minimums it is to those who are interested in preserving their muscle mass whilst dieting eating at a defecit, when protein is even more important, so no I don't believe I over quote

In most cases dieters need to eat double the US RDA..happy to quote additional studies if you're interested

However I'm still interested in how you would achieve adequate protein with just vegetables ...whatever you believe your approach RDA is
  • forgtmenot
    edited October 2015
    Options

Wow, that's impressive

http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/vegetables-high-in-protein.php

Here is a list of vegetables that are high in protein. Now if your goal is 100g that would be difficult to meet, but if it is something more modest like 40-60g it wouldn't be difficult at all. I don't eat anywhere near 100g and I feel amazing. In fact I've also been on high protein low carb (before I became vegan) and I never felt this good eating high protein. We do not need large amounts of protein to live and be healthy. It is simply untrue. Many people, even non vegans, don't eat that much protein and I don't see them being rushed to the hospital for protein deficiency.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options

Wow, that's impressive

Here is a list of vegetables that are high in protein. Now if your goal is 100g that would be difficult to meet, but if it is something more modest like 40-60g it wouldn't be difficult at all. I don't eat anywhere near 100g and I feel amazing. In fact I've also been on high protein low carb (before I became vegan) and I never felt this good eating high protein. We do not need large amounts of protein to live and be healthy. It is simply untrue. Many people, even non vegans, don't eat that much protein and I don't see them being back rushed to the hospital for protein deficiency.

What is your protein goal and how often do you hit it?
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options

Wow, that's impressive

Here is a list of vegetables that are high in protein. Now if your goal is 100g that would be difficult to meet, but if it is something more modest like 40-60g it wouldn't be difficult at all. I don't eat anywhere near 100g and I feel amazing. In fact I've also been on high protein low carb (before I became vegan) and I never felt this good eating high protein. We do not need large amounts of protein to live and be healthy. It is simply untrue. Many people, even non vegans, don't eat that much protein and I don't see them being back rushed to the hospital for protein deficiency.

What would a day of 60g look like for you with just veggies? (Portions, specific veggies, etc)
  • forgtmenot
    Options
    I love how you high protein fans won't even address the FACT that osteoporosis is linked to eating large amounts of animal protein.
  • nordlead2005
    Options

Wow, that's impressive

So let's say you're not shooting for muscle building and just a goal of .5g/lb of protein (not the minimum for the average person, but also below the minimum for bodybuilders). A 120 lb. person would need 60g of protein. Are you able to get that with just vegetables?

I don't have a clue, I'm not (and never will be) a vegan or vegetarian. I mean, I guess you can by eating 475 calories of spinach per day, but that is a LOT of spinach. It worked for Popeye though...
  • forgtmenot
    Options
    I never said I personally eat just veggies, I said it was possible to hit it with just fruit and veggies. I also do not condone juice fasting.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    I never said I personally eat just veggies, I said it was possible to hit it with just fruit and veggies. I also do not condone juice fasting.

I was legitimately curious because it sounded like you had the numbers worked out and I wanted to know what looked like.
  • nordlead2005
    Options

Wow, that's impressive

I said hypertrophy (building muscle)

Generally when I recommend protein minimums it is to those who are interested in preserving their muscle mass whilst dieting eating at a defecit, when protein is even more important, so no I don't believe I over quote

In most cases dieters need to eat double the US RDA..happy to quote additional studies if you're interested

However I'm still interested in how you would achieve adequate protein with just vegetables ...whatever you believe your approach RDA is

Again, I don't care about vegan/vegetarian. But, 0.64-0.82g/lb is the maximum required for hypertrophy, not the minimum. I even provided a link with links to studies.

I'm off topic on this off topic. If you want to consume over 0.82g/lb that is fine, but it generally is a waste of money and a lot of hard work trying to consume that much protein when it provides no proven benefit.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »

I was legitimately curious because it sounded like you had the numbers worked out and I wanted to know what looked like.

Me too

It was simple curiosity particularly when you said just veg

I eat a lot of vegetables but also focus on yogurts and meats just to hit my protein goals ..so I was trying to learn

This discussion has been closed.