Anyone fancy doing a juice detox?

Options

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    forgtmenot wrote: »
    I love how you high protein fans won't even address the FACT that osteoporosis is linked to eating large amounts of animal protein.

I've never heard this before

Low BMI..yes
    Menopause, hormones, adrenal issues yes

But I've never heard of this link which is why I asked for the source
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I love how you high protein fans won't even address the FACT that osteoporosis is linked to eating large amounts of animal protein.

Low BMI..yes

There's many different articles about animal protein and bone health, But here are a couple:

http://www.news.cornell.edu/stories/1996/11/eating-less-meat-may-help-reduce-osteoporosis-risk
    http://m.ajcn.nutrition.org/content/87/5/1567S.full
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options

Low BMI..yes

I actually have osteo, so I'd love to see the sources on this.

Here's a study that specifically states in the abstract, "There is no evidence that high protein intake per se would be detrimental for bone mass and strength." The caution it gives is for eating protein in excess of 2g/kg of body weight with low calcium intake.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22139564

A quick scan of several published studies shows that there is nothing settled about animal protein and osteoporosis. Besides that, who said anything about animal protein? We're talking about protein-bearing vegetables and how one could meet minimal protein requirements by vegetable juice alone.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options

Low BMI..yes

There are studies that say too much protein causes your body to excrete calcium, which leads to kidney stones and osteoporosis. As far as I know it (the osteoporosis part) has been debunked much like many of our older studies where we drew improper conclusions.
    http://nutritionfacts.org/2014/07/31/does-animal-protein-cause-osteoporosis/
  • forgtmenot
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »
    I never said I personally eat just veggies, I said it was possible to hit it with just fruit and veggies. I also do not condone juice fasting.

I was legitimately curious because it sounded like you had the numbers worked out and I wanted to know what looked like.

Me too

It was simple curiosity particularly when you said just veg

I eat a lot of vegetables but also focus on yogurts and meats just to hit my protein goals ..so I was trying to learn

You don't need to eat dairy and meat to get adequate protein. Granted you would have to eat a lot of vegetables to meet a 60g requirement, but it is actually pretty easy to meet that goal when you also eat legumes, nuts, seeds. Soy is a good source of protein also, but I try to limit my intake of soy because of its potentiality to have negative effects on female hormones.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    The goalposts in this discussion have been moved to another stadium. The question was, can you consume enough protein using just vegetable juice?
  • Sued0nim
    Options

Low BMI..yes

There's many different articles about animal protein and bone health, But here are a couple:

http://www.news.cornell.edu/stories/1996/11/eating-less-meat-may-help-reduce-osteoporosis-risk
    http://m.ajcn.nutrition.org/content/87/5/1567S.full

Thanks..you should read the second article it is interesting

But it does discount source of protein as an issue and stresses the importance of higher protein intake during weight loss.

• forgtmenot
    Options

Low BMI..yes

I actually have osteo, so I'd love to see the sources on this.

Here's a study that specifically states in the abstract, "There is no evidence that high protein intake per se would be detrimental for bone mass and strength." The caution it gives is for eating protein in excess of 2g/kg of body weight with low calcium intake.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22139564

A quick scan of several published studies shows that there is nothing settled about animal protein and osteoporosis. Besides that, who said anything about animal protein? We're talking about protein-bearing vegetables and how one could meet minimal protein requirements by vegetable juice alone.

I posted two links above your post about the osteoporosis link. Also interestingly enough countries with the highest consumption of dairy have the highest rates of osteoporosis in the world. The ones with the lowest consumption of milk have the lowest rates of osteoporosis. These countries also tend to eat less animal protein in general. o1hkzlw1sxua.jpeg
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    The goalposts in this discussion have been moved to another stadium. The question was, can you consume enough protein using just vegetable juice?

Can you juice spinach?
  • moijo1
    moijo1 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Does this kind of diet really work? Wouldn't you just pile the weight back on as soon as you start to eat normal foods again?
  • forgtmenot
    Options

Can you juice spinach?

With an adequate juicer yes you can, you can also juice kale.
  • forgtmenot
    Options
    My concern is inadequate fiber. Of course this would be a VLCD and not sustainable long term, and it would be deficient in many nutrients. I think protein would not be of utmost concern here. Calorie intake and fiber would be my concern.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    I never said I personally eat just veggies, I said it was possible to hit it with just fruit and veggies. I also do not condone juice fasting.

I was legitimately curious because it sounded like you had the numbers worked out and I wanted to know what looked like.

Me too

I eat a lot of vegetables but also focus on yogurts and meats just to hit my protein goals ..so I was trying to learn

You don't need to eat dairy and meat to get adequate protein. Granted you would have to eat a lot of vegetables to meet a 60g requirement, but it is actually pretty easy to meet that goal when you also eat legumes, nuts, seeds. Soy is a good source of protein also, but I try to limit my intake of soy because of its potentiality to have negative effects on female hormones.

But you said you could make protein minimums without eating nuts and just veg

Oh nm
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    minie_me wrote: »
    Does this kind of diet really work? Wouldn't you just pile the weight back on as soon as you start to eat normal foods again?

Yes you would

And it's a really unhealthy programme because ...fat...protein
  • forgtmenot
    edited October 2015
    Options

Me too

But you said you could make protein minimums without eating nuts and just veg

Oh nm

I was responding specifically to the comment that the person made that they eat yogurt and meat to get protein, It was not regarding juicing. As I said you would have to juice lots of veggies that are high in protein like kale and spinach in order to meet protein goals. As far as eating a regular non juicing diet, you do not need animal products to meet even high protein goals. It is not difficult to get adequate protein in a vegan diet.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Juicing for thirty days will give you diarrhea, for sure...and all the time.

Unless you're really carful about it, you won't get all the vitamins and minerals you need.

You have to watch your calories, too. Juice can have tons of calories.

I think you should run this idea by your doctor before you begin. See if it will be healthy. You don't want to make yourself sick!
  • blitz2011
    blitz2011 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Glad to see this has sparked some debate...
    @forgtmenot i went vegetarian after juicing last year and i loved it, when i was on holiday i decided to go back to meat and found it to hard to leave it again (damn u tasty animals)... I want to go 100% veg after juicing this time too, hopefully i can.

The point of this is not a long term thing, i think some people think i will want to do this all the time but it's just a detox to me, and just now i very much need a detox... It also seems to help me to do lots of other things like manage food cravings and altogether give me a better appreciation for food. As i said before this helped me loads before and i hope it will do the same this time. regaining the weight was as a result of returning to old eating habits after a holiday and not doing any exercise while working infront of a computer for 12 hours a day...

I have not officially started my juicing and hope to complete it, i have started doing some more research on the subjects and here is one for the people crying fiber: http://www.rebootwithjoe.com/the-facts-on-fiber-juice/ I never had any problems...

For protein i did try spirulina powder for a while but really did not like the taste so gave it up, i'll research to see if i can find some better replacement if i go for 60 days like i think i am now going to do.

Out of interest has anyone see the film http://www.rebootwithjoe.com/watch-fat-sick-and-nearly-dead/ which inspired me to do this the first time?

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    blitz2011 wrote: »
    Glad to see this has sparked some debate...
    @forgtmenot i went vegetarian after juicing last year and i loved it, when i was on holiday i decided to go back to meat and found it to hard to leave it again (damn u tasty animals)... I want to go 100% veg after juicing this time too, hopefully i can.

The point of this is not a long term thing, i think some people think i will want to do this all the time but it's just a detox to me, and just now i very much need a detox... It also seems to help me to do lots of other things like manage food cravings and altogether give me a better appreciation for food. As i said before this helped me loads before and i hope it will do the same this time. regaining the weight was as a result of returning to old eating habits after a holiday and not doing any exercise while working infront of a computer for 12 hours a day...

I have not officially started my juicing and hope to complete it, i have started doing some more research on the subjects and here is one for the people crying fiber: http://www.rebootwithjoe.com/the-facts-on-fiber-juice/ I never had any problems...

For protein i did try spirulina powder for a while but really did not like the taste so gave it up, i'll research to see if i can find some better replacement if i go for 60 days like i think i am now going to do.

Out of interest has anyone see the film http://www.rebootwithjoe.com/watch-fat-sick-and-nearly-dead/ which inspired me to do this the first time?

It's bogus!!
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    minie_me wrote: »

The OP did after doing this before.
This discussion has been closed.