WHO says my bacon is not good for me :-(

Options

Replies

• OneHundredToLose
    OneHundredToLose Posts: 8,523 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    I love the argument "If you can't pronounce it, don't eat it". Half the people I see posting on here would die of starvation.

Not to mention that literally every food has the chemical DiHydrogen Monoxide in it. Watch out! Scary chemicals will kill you!

i5FL3.jpg

That's awesome. People forget that literally everything we eat is chemicals. In fact everything is chemicals. You're chemicals. I'm chemicals. We're all just a bunch of chemistry that figured out how to talk.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I love the argument "If you can't pronounce it, don't eat it".
    Of all the wacky things I see and hear, this is my least favorite. Even if you exclude people who can pronounce long words that others aren't familiar with, it still doesn't make sense.

We can all pronounce gasoline. That doesn't make it safe to ingest.

The business of basing your diet on your ability to pronounce words makes absolutely no sense.

But, lots of things people do make no sense, so it doesn't really matter. It's just the one that irks me.

• Sieden76
    Sieden76 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I don't think of foods in terms of healthy or unhealthy usually. As long as I'm hitting my personal goals it's all good, and if I'm hitting those goals it's healthy for me. I guess this one just hit me a bit more because I've literally only just figured out how to fit it into my day (smaller portions, poached instead of fried egg, microwaved bacon). But you're right, the only thing that's changed is knowledge. I just wanted someone to say "it's ok, eat the bacon" I guess LOL!

What? You have to think of foods in terms of healthy or not because if you don't then you are just walking around with blinders on. Just because something fits into your macros doesn't mean that it's okay to eat, especially every day. You are just kidding yourself by thinking this way.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Sieden76 wrote: »
    I don't think of foods in terms of healthy or unhealthy usually. As long as I'm hitting my personal goals it's all good, and if I'm hitting those goals it's healthy for me. I guess this one just hit me a bit more because I've literally only just figured out how to fit it into my day (smaller portions, poached instead of fried egg, microwaved bacon). But you're right, the only thing that's changed is knowledge. I just wanted someone to say "it's ok, eat the bacon" I guess LOL!

What? You have to think of foods in terms of healthy or not because if you don't then you are just walking around with blinders on. Just because something fits into your macros doesn't mean that it's okay to eat, especially every day. You are just kidding yourself by thinking this way.

Please list some foods that are not ok to eat. And also please explain how they are not healthy assuming one is meeting micro and macronutrients needs.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Please list some foods that are not ok to eat. And also please explain how they are not healthy assuming one is meeting micro and macronutrients needs.

Califlower and brussel sprout... because no matter how you make them, they are horrible. ;)
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options

Califlower and brussel sprout... because no matter how you make them, they are horrible. ;)

I dislike the "good and bad" food mentality as much as anybody, and I love me some plain steamed brussel sprouts
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Touché ....
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Oh wow, lots of responses here! Thank you everyone! Just to clarify, I wasn't worried I'd get cancer from 2 rashers of bacon. It was more about my circumstances + bacon + frustration because I'd forgotten how much I love bacon until recently.

As (bad) luck would have it, I've been at the hospital most of today and part of it was with a dietician - who said I have to cut back on bacon anyway. Nothing to do with cancer though; I was seeing her about newly-diagnosed prediabetes. She didn't say I have to cut it out completely, just not have it every day (as well as spreading my food out more, somethingsomething glycemic load - I'm very tired and can't remember it all). She's very happy with what I'm eating other than that though, including my lovely lovely carbs, and is delighted at my 26lb loss :-)

I'm prediabetic too so I'm wondering why she would want to to cut back on bacon. Fat and moderate amounts of protein don't do anything bad to blood glucose levels, and may even lower it.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Oh wow, lots of responses here! Thank you everyone! Just to clarify, I wasn't worried I'd get cancer from 2 rashers of bacon. It was more about my circumstances + bacon + frustration because I'd forgotten how much I love bacon until recently.

As (bad) luck would have it, I've been at the hospital most of today and part of it was with a dietician - who said I have to cut back on bacon anyway. Nothing to do with cancer though; I was seeing her about newly-diagnosed prediabetes. She didn't say I have to cut it out completely, just not have it every day (as well as spreading my food out more, somethingsomething glycemic load - I'm very tired and can't remember it all). She's very happy with what I'm eating other than that though, including my lovely lovely carbs, and is delighted at my 26lb loss :-)

I'm prediabetic too so I'm wondering why she would want to to cut back on bacon. Fat and moderate amounts of protein don't do anything bad to blood glucose levels, and may even lower it.

I think there is a link between eating more saturated vs unsaturated fat and increasing risk for diabetes. Maybe the idea was to increase unsaturated fat by cutting down on animal fat?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    suzan06 wrote: »
    My mom is a colon cancer survivor.

The great thing about colon cancer is it is easily detectable and pretty treatable (as long as you are ok living with no colon for the rest of your life ;) ). I am a vegetarian so I have no hat in the bacon ring, but my general opinion from what I know about colon, which sadly is a lot, is that if you are making unhealthy colon choices, you better be prepared to poop your brains out for 24 hours and then have them rotoroot you the minute you turn 50, and then regularly after that.

What you eat has nothing to do with getting a colonoscopy at age 50. That's the medical recommendation for everyone.
  • cmarangi
    cmarangi Posts: 131 Member
    Options
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    You can be an absolute health nut and only ever eat organic, grass-fed grass and bathe in hand sanitizer every night and still get cancer. Or you can be a guy who smokes 4 packs a day and only eats steak and grease and never get cancer.

While this is true, many people like to know how to play the odds in their favor.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »

I dislike the "good and bad" food mentality as much as anybody, and I love me some plain steamed brussel sprouts

I've lost faith in you entirely. Steamed vegetables are an invention of the devil. Roasted brussel sprouts are amazing. Add bacon, mmm. Sometimes it's a risk I'm willing to take.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    _John_ wrote: »

I've lost faith in you entirely. Steamed vegetables are an invention of the devil. Roasted brussel sprouts are amazing. Add bacon, mmm. Sometimes it's a risk I'm willing to take.

Bacon and roasted Brussels sprouts is absolutely one of my favorite foods. NOM.
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    Brussel sprouts with grapes, fig jam, walnuts and mint yogurt. Topping it with a little bacon wont hurt you. :)
  • cmarangi
    cmarangi Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Brussel sprouts with grapes, fig jam, walnuts and mint yogurt. Topping it with a little bacon wont hurt you. :)

I. Just. Can't. Except for the bacon... :p
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    I love the argument "If you can't pronounce it, don't eat it". Half the people I see posting on here would die of starvation.

Not to mention that literally every food has the chemical DiHydrogen Monoxide in it. Watch out! Scary chemicals will kill you!

i5FL3.jpg

That's awesome. People forget that literally everything we eat is chemicals. In fact everything is chemicals. You're chemicals. I'm chemicals. We're all just a bunch of chemistry that figured out how to talk.

When talking about food labels this is fairly irrelevant. Chemicals naturally found in food will not be on the ingredient label. If blueberries are an ingredient, the label will say "blueberries" not list out every chemical that blueberries contained. So, if there are chemicals listed on a food label they are chemicals that were added by man. It is these added chemicals that many people want to avoid or limit.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

I used to respect you...but brussel sprout hate?? C'mon man!

Now if you replace that with Kale, then maybe you're on to something!
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options

I used to respect you...but brussel sprout hate?? C'mon man!

Now if you replace that with Kale, then maybe you're on to something!

You're both crazy. They're all delicious.