Options

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »
    alexjvolk wrote: »
    emyaj_xo wrote: »
    What about switching to organic, uncured bacon? I imagine that is significantly healthier than your standard, nitrate laden bacon.

precisely.

uncured bacon would still be smoked pork belly and therefore still a processed meat.

also, it still includes ingredients with a lot of nitrates.

Would organic contain added nitrates? Has nitrates been identified as the carcinogen?
  • Lord007
    Lord007 Posts: 338 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    What about switching to organic, uncured bacon? I imagine that is significantly healthier than your standard, nitrate laden bacon.

precisely.

uncured bacon would still be smoked pork belly and therefore still a processed meat.

Having prepared my own bacon (cured and uncured) I find the inclusion of bacon in the report of this study suspicious. Mankind has been smoking meats for thousands of years. Why would bacon get singled out versus other meats (chicken, beef, goat, etc...) We know bacon is a high fat food. Those of us who eat it, still do so knowing the risks.

I won't claim to have read the report. However, I feel moderately comfortable stating that the news agencies reporting it made some correlations without any empirical link to causation.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

precisely.

Would organic contain added nitrates? Has nitrates been identified as the carcinogen?

Celery powder. In organic bacon and hot dogs. "natural" nitrates.

http://www.applegate.com/products/organic-sunday-bacon/

sorry for Wikipedia, but it's quick:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celery_powder
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    Lord007 wrote: »

precisely.

Having prepared my own bacon (cured and uncured) I find the inclusion of bacon in the report of this study suspicious. Mankind has been smoking meats for thousands of years. Why would bacon get singled out versus other meats (chicken, beef, goat, etc...)

I won't claim to have read the report. However, I feel moderately comfortable stating that the news agencies reporting it made some correlations without any empirical link to causation. We know bacon is a high fat food. Those of us who eat it, still do so knowing the risks.

It's not singled out. All processed meat is associated with cancer. Bacon is a popular meat so it's mentioned, but it's no worse/better than pepperoni, chorizo, ham, or other processed meats.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

precisely.

Does all organic bacon contain celery powder or some other form of added nitrate? Is it comparable in risk or makeup to whatever nitrates are added to your run of the mill bacon?
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    I feel like this gif needs to be in this thread...and am shocked we're on page 5 and it isn't in here yet.

OHNOES.gif
  • _John_
    edited October 2015
    Options

precisely.

Does all organic bacon contain celery powder or some other form of added nitrate? Is it comparable in risk or makeup to whatever nitrates are added to your run of the mill bacon?

comparable. Also, "uncured" is misleading as organic products cured with celery powder can be labeled "uncured".

http://fyi.uwex.edu/meats/files/2012/02/Nitrate-and-nitrite-in-cured-meat_10-18-2012.pdf
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    So let me get this right.......... By NOT eating processed meats I simply improve my chance of NOT getting colon cancer by 1%???????

Please, kindly pass the bacon while I weigh the pros/cons....

dj-bacon-o.gif
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

precisely.

comparable. Also, "uncured" is misleading as organic products cured with celery powder can be labeled "uncured".

http://fyi.uwex.edu/meats/files/2012/02/Nitrate-and-nitrite-in-cured-meat_10-18-2012.pdf

Interesting. I think things like this are why some people would rather just stick to whole natural foods.
  • _John_
    edited October 2015
    Options

precisely.

Interesting. I think things like this are why some people would rather just stick to whole natural foods.

Now that food sources can be varied we lose the perspective of how important to human survival the discovery of curing meat was for food safety.

The curing process makes those products A LOT safer overall, as bacterial growth on meat (and its inhibition increasing shelf life) is a huge food safety issue, certainly more important than cancer...
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    amberlyda1 wrote: »
    I love my organic bacon! Its not so much the bacon and meat...its the processing. Lots of people will defend processed foods, diet sodas, GMo etc. They will say they are totally safe. I personally believe that our bodies were not designed to handle and metabolize these science experiments we are putting into our bodies. Study after study has come out and shown that some of these artificial ingredients cause cancer or significantly up our chances of getting cancer. I dont have time to pull them up right now, but the studies are easy to find. I pulled up a snap shot of Oscar myer bacon ingredients. If you cant pronounce it, it probably shouldn't go in your body.

b581bwh9yosf.jpg

Right.. because a seedless orange is bound to kill me.

And there has not been any credible study to suggest gmo is bad. But if you have a non Monsanto study i am always interested.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    amberlyda1 wrote: »
    I love my organic bacon! Its not so much the bacon and meat...its the processing. Lots of people will defend processed foods, diet sodas, GMo etc. They will say they are totally safe. I personally believe that our bodies were not designed to handle and metabolize these science experiments we are putting into our bodies. Study after study has come out and shown that some of these artificial ingredients cause cancer or significantly up our chances of getting cancer. I dont have time to pull them up right now, but the studies are easy to find. I pulled up a snap shot of Oscar myer bacon ingredients. If you cant pronounce it, it probably shouldn't go in your body.

b581bwh9yosf.jpg

Right.. because a seedless orange is bound to kill me.

And there has not been any credible study to suggest gmo is bad. But if you have a non Monsanto study i am always interested.

I don't think seedless oranges are GMO
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

precisely.

Now that food sources can be varied we lose the perspective of how important to human survival the discovery of curing meat was for food safety.

The curing process makes those products A LOT safer overall, as bacterial growth on meat (and its inhibition increasing shelf life) is a huge food safety issue, certainly more important than cancer...

I'm sure it was and probably still is in some areas, but times have changed.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

precisely.

Yes, now we have the advanced sophisticated technology of refrigeration, which means you should go back to as primitive as possible ways to store your meat and keep it as un-sophisticated and unprocessed as possible.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

precisely.

Yes, now we have the advanced sophisticated technology of refrigeration, which means you should go back to as primitive as possible ways to store your meat and keep it as un-sophisticated and unprocessed as possible.

Why?
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    As Professor Phillips explains, “IARC does ‘hazard identification’, not ‘risk assessment’.

“That sounds quite technical, but what it means is that IARC isn’t in the business of telling us how potent something is in causing cancer – only whether it does so or not”, he says.

To take an analogy, think of banana skins. They definitely can cause accidents, explains Phillips, but in practice this doesn’t happen very often (unless you work in a banana factory). And the sort of harm you can come to from slipping on a banana skin isn’t generally as severe as, say, being in a car accident.

But under a hazard identification system like IARC’s, ‘banana skins’ and ‘cars’ would come under the same category – they both definitely do cause accidents.

http://scienceblog.cancerresearchuk.org/2015/10/26/processed-meat-and-cancer-what-you-need-to-know/
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

precisely.

Why?

I don't know, I'm an advocate of sarcasm, rather than an advocate of whole, unprocessed, unrefined, not convenience (would that be inconvenience?), organic, non-GMO verified foods.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

precisely.

Why?

I don't know, I'm an advocate of sarcasm, rather than an advocate of whole, unprocessed, unrefined, not convenience (would that be inconvenience?), organic, non-GMO verified foods.

Not sure what that has to do with storing meat, but since we're sharing, I'm rather a fan of both.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Wetcoaster wrote: »
    As Professor Phillips explains, “IARC does ‘hazard identification’, not ‘risk assessment’.

“That sounds quite technical, but what it means is that IARC isn’t in the business of telling us how potent something is in causing cancer – only whether it does so or not”, he says.

To take an analogy, think of banana skins. They definitely can cause accidents, explains Phillips, but in practice this doesn’t happen very often (unless you work in a banana factory). And the sort of harm you can come to from slipping on a banana skin isn’t generally as severe as, say, being in a car accident.

But under a hazard identification system like IARC’s, ‘banana skins’ and ‘cars’ would come under the same category – they both definitely do cause accidents.

http://scienceblog.cancerresearchuk.org/2015/10/26/processed-meat-and-cancer-what-you-need-to-know/

Get out of here with your common sense. ;)

I like this perspective a lot.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    All things in moderation. Balanced diet. Active lifestyle. No smoking. Social drinker. Live life to the fullest. And love. I really think that's the best we can do. I'm not going to worry about every little thing that is linked to cancer. I'll stick with my almost daily 2 strips of bacon, pork chops, sausages and hot dogs, and ham on occasion.