WHO says my bacon is not good for me :-(

Options

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I didn't take it as the blood test was for cancer FTR, but then the Bum Team have proved to me that it's more about prodding and poking than blood tests! Just to add, I have neurogenic bladder and bowel, so that's why I get tested a lot.
    At this point, they've just begin to find blood tests for cancer. Not all of the kinds of cancer can be detected by blood tests. Sometimes, the tests can't catch it until it's more advanced. When they can look, like they can up the bum, that's a huge plus.

We are just at the tip of the iceberg on detecting cancer...or even understanding it, for that matter. One day, they won't have to look. They'll find things in the blood or somewhere else. Biopsies have gotten so much easier! People used to have what they called "exploratory surgery" all the time. There weren't MRIs and CTs and easy biopsies. People would go in, the docs would cut them open and see what they could see.

We've come a long way, but still have a long way to go.

Your bum team (I love that term) is right. :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I didn't take it as the blood test was for cancer FTR, but then the Bum Team have proved to me that it's more about prodding and poking than blood tests! Just to add, I have neurogenic bladder and bowel, so that's why I get tested a lot.
    At this point, they've just begin to find blood tests for cancer. Not all of the kinds of cancer can be detected by blood tests. Sometimes, the tests can't catch it until it's more advanced. When they can look, like they can up the bum, that's a huge plus.

We are just at the tip of the iceberg on detecting cancer...or even understanding it, for that matter. One day, they won't have to look. They'll find things in the blood or somewhere else. Biopsies have gotten so much easier! People used to have what they called "exploratory surgery" all the time. There weren't MRIs and CTs and easy biopsies. People would go in, the docs would cut them open and see what they could see.

We've come a long way, but still have a long way to go.

Your bum team (I love that term) is right. :)

Great post.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    i eat two strips a day and blood work comes back perfect every year.

sounds more food fear mongering by the folks over at WHO, just like they do with sugar.

Also, a lot of things are related to colon cancer, and I would be curious to read the entire study, and that article does not link to it.

eat your bacon and be happy. If you were eating a package a day then you might have something to worry about.

The WHO is pretty down to earth in terms of sugar, it's everyone else using the WHO recommendations to say "See, sugar is bad for you! WHO says so!" without context as to why they recommend lowish amounts of sugar. It's probably the same here.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Keep in mind that WHO is largely a political organization.

Their chief concern is politics not health.

It's not just WHO though:

Prof Tim Key, Cancer Research UK’s epidemiologist at the University of Oxford, said: “Cancer Research UK supports IARC’s decision that there’s strong enough evidence to classify processed meat as a cause of cancer, and red meat as a probable cause of cancer.

Aye.

The biggest issue with the studies I have seen however is accurately discounting for overall lifestyle choices to reach those conclusions - for example people who eat less processed meat may also be generally more health conscious / active / more likely to undertake regular health screenings and so on.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

Given your health concerns, it might be worth discussing with "the Bum Team". Great name!

Will do, I'm seeing them early December - should have finished the 3 packs of bacon by then!

LOL we'll be done three packs by Thursday. ;)

Bum Team... LOL :D
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    If you don't like bacon --- you are wrong - Eastcoast Jim
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    WHO is eating it wrong! :grumble:
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    If there is a food that doesn't raise your risk of something, you probably can't survive on it alone anyway. Junk science is probably one of the unhealthiest things you can take in.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I'll keep that in mind the next time I'm washing down a BLT with a diet coke.

Seriously, there's so many things in excess that can cause cancer or some other type of illness. I really don't eat bacon that often (maybe four or five times a year), it's not even a concern for me.
  • emyaj_xo
    emyaj_xo Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    What about switching to organic, uncured bacon? I imagine that is significantly healthier than your standard, nitrate laden bacon.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Whilst the WHO press release does not link back to the actual epidemiological study (which I would like to see if anyone can link it, I got caught in a black hole of Press releases from the IARC). I did pick up the recommendation to consume less than 50g daily at which there is no increased risk for this very specific 1% uplift

@CurlyCockney your 2 rashers is probably within that limit :)
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    OK article:
    http://authoritynutrition.com/are-nitrates-and-nitrites-harmful/

Nitrites + lotsa heat when cooking = nitrosamines, which are probably bad news to be eating. Fortunately, you can nullify this process with antioxidants (vitamin C, etc.). So there you go.
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

I believe that the original study that found the 18% increase of mortality risk per 50g per day of processed meat is this one:
    http://www.biomedcentral.com/1741-7015/11/63
    (a big European prospective study)
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that WHO is largely a political organization.

Their chief concern is politics not health.

I didn't realise that, thanks! I'll look into their motivation a bit more - when I've finished eating this ;-)

I'd like to point out they made no specific guidelines or recommendations based off this. It was a meta analysis of over 800 studies, not exactly new information. People sure are up in arms about it though.
  • hekla90
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    i eat two strips a day and blood work comes back perfect every year.

sounds more food fear mongering by the folks over at WHO, just like they do with sugar.

Also, a lot of things are related to colon cancer, and I would be curious to read the entire study, and that article does not link to it.

eat your bacon and be happy. If you were eating a package a day then you might have something to worry about.

/sigh the who did not do a study. They analyzed around 800 studies. This isn't based off one study. I think a lot of people just read the title without actually reading what the WHO released. Blood work does not generally test for cancer, only one I know off hand is prostate, admittedly not an oncology nurses. Most is detected through other means.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Following to read the studies. But I am pretty sure genetics has more to do with cancer than bacon.
  • hekla90
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    Following to read the studies. But I am pretty sure genetics has more to do with cancer than bacon.

See above comments, it's a meta analysis of 800 studies.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    hekla90 wrote: »
    psulemon wrote: »

See above comments, it's a meta analysis of 800 studies.

Thanks. I did see all of the comments. i was more tagging remind myself to read it later.