WHO says my bacon is not good for me :-(

Options

Replies

• _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    _John_ wrote: »
    aflatoxin B1 contamination for both corn and peanuts (counts as much as nitrogen added to cured meats if you ask me).

Contamination is usually low (almost always within established safety limits), but ubiquitous in those foods.

There's little political pressure to quantify their increase in excess cancers, so little to no press, though there's no doubt AFB1 is one of the most toxic and cancer causing compounds humans are regularly exposed to.

Aflatoxins are not part of processing peanuts or grains for consumption, they are a result of contamination. And in most countries there are supposed to be regulations and contaminated products discarded.

Other things in the same cancer causing category as meat:
    Being a painter
    Being an Iron worker
    or a wood worker
    or a shoemaker

eating salted fish (chinese style)
    drinking alcohol

getting X-rays done or going out into the sun (UV rays)
    oral and hormonal contraceptives

What do you mean by "in the same cancer causing category"?

IARC classification probably.

http://monographs.iarc.fr/ENG/Classification/
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    aflatoxin B1 contamination for both corn and peanuts (counts as much as nitrogen added to cured meats if you ask me).

Contamination is usually low (almost always within established safety limits), but ubiquitous in those foods.

There's little political pressure to quantify their increase in excess cancers, so little to no press, though there's no doubt AFB1 is one of the most toxic and cancer causing compounds humans are regularly exposed to.

Aflatoxins are not part of processing peanuts or grains for consumption, they are a result of contamination. And in most countries there are supposed to be regulations and contaminated products discarded.

Being a painter
    Being an Iron worker
    or a wood worker
    or a shoemaker

drinking alcohol

There's multiple categories of carcinogens, ranging from "yep, that's a definite cancer risk" to "probably not". Those things are all in the same group as the processed meat, the highest, next to *kitten* like plutonium.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    you have to put these kinds of things into perspective. in general, there is about a 5% chance of the average person getting colorectal cancer...if your odds increase by 18%, that means you jump from 5% to 6% (.18*.05=.09 + .05 = ~ .06).

beyond that, you would have to consider doseage (just as you would with sugar and typical "junk" foods). are you eating slabs of bacon and then ham for lunch and sausage for dinner? i mean, that might be an issue there.

beyond that you have to consider overall lifestyles. the article i red yesterday said as much...observational studies indicate that many people who eat a lot of processed foods in general tend to have other risk factors as they overall tend to not live the healthiest of lifestyles.

a proper perspective is very important when looking at these kinds of things...unfortunately, most people simply have a knee jerk reaction which is why so many people tend to go to extremes with their diets and exercise...and frankly, just about everything else in their lives. we live in a world of extremes right now where moderation of any sort just doesn't seem to exist. nothing much is truly black and white...there's a lot of grey and nuance that people tend to ignore.

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

Being a painter
    Being an Iron worker
    or a wood worker
    or a shoemaker

drinking alcohol

Some professions are indeed increasing a person's overall risk of cancer. Which is also reason why there are often safety measures (protective garments, ventilation, short shifts, early retirement etc).
    Foods and drinks other than meat have been also associated with increased risk of cancer depending on amounts consumed, which is why there are also recommendations about how much and how often is safe to consume these things.
    X-rays are known to cause cancer, which why they are to be avoided when not necessary (I have never heard of anyone having X-rays for fun).
    Unlimited exposure to sun is known to cause cancer for several decades now.
    Hormonal contraceptives, and other hormonal treatments are known also to increase risk of cancer, which is why there are regulations, labs tests etc.

So what do you mean? Having processed meats in the same category as UV rays and X-rays is not really a comforting thought for people who enjoy their bacon!
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

Being a painter
    Being an Iron worker
    or a wood worker
    or a shoemaker

drinking alcohol

Some professions are indeed increasing a person's overall risk of cancer. Which is also reason why there are often safety measures (protective garments, ventilation, short shifts, early retirement etc).
    Foods and drinks other than meat have been also associated with increased risk of cancer depending on amounts consumed, which is why there are also recommendations about how much and how often is safe to consume these things.
    X-rays are known to cause cancer, which why they are to be avoided when not necessary (I have never heard of anyone having X-rays for fun).
    Hormonal contraceptives, and other hormonal treatments are known also to increase risk of cancer, which is why there are regulations, labs tests etc.

So what do you mean? Having processed meats in the same category as UV rays and X-rays is not really a comforting thought for people who enjoy their bacon!

I mean you don't stop going out in the sun to avoid rising your cancer risk, going out into the sun is even encouraged for health. It's the dose that matters as always.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options

Being a painter
    Being an Iron worker
    or a wood worker
    or a shoemaker

drinking alcohol

I mean you don't stop going out in the sun to avoid rising your cancer risk, going out into the sun is even encouraged for health. It's the dose that matters as always.

No debate there. Which is why the report also states numbers. Something like 50 grams of processed meat daily increasing risk of bowel cancer by 18%. I am guessing that this means that e.g. 2 slices of processed meat once per month would put one at a much lower risk.

"For an individual, the risk of developing colorectal (bowel) cancer because of their consumption of processed meat remains small, but this risk increases with the amount of meat consumed," Dr Kurt Straif from the WHO said.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

Being a painter
    Being an Iron worker
    or a wood worker
    or a shoemaker

drinking alcohol

IARC classification probably.

http://monographs.iarc.fr/ENG/Classification/

Thanks!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    you have to put these kinds of things into perspective. in general, there is about a 5% chance of the average person getting colorectal cancer...if your odds increase by 18%, that means you jump from 5% to 6% (.18*.05=.09 + .05 = ~ .06).

beyond that, you would have to consider doseage (just as you would with sugar and typical "junk" foods). are you eating slabs of bacon and then ham for lunch and sausage for dinner? i mean, that might be an issue there.

beyond that you have to consider overall lifestyles. the article i red yesterday said as much...observational studies indicate that many people who eat a lot of processed foods in general tend to have other risk factors as they overall tend to not live the healthiest of lifestyles.

a proper perspective is very important when looking at these kinds of things...unfortunately, most people simply have a knee jerk reaction which is why so many people tend to go to extremes with their diets and exercise...and frankly, just about everything else in their lives. we live in a world of extremes right now where moderation of any sort just doesn't seem to exist. nothing much is truly black and white...there's a lot of grey and nuance that people tend to ignore.

+1
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options

Being a painter
    Being an Iron worker
    or a wood worker
    or a shoemaker

drinking alcohol

No debate there. Which is why the report also states numbers. Something like 50 grams of processed meat daily increasing risk of bowel cancer by 18%. I am guessing that this means that e.g. 2 slices of processed meat once per month would put one at a much lower risk.

"For an individual, the risk of developing colorectal (bowel) cancer because of their consumption of processed meat remains small, but this risk increases with the amount of meat consumed," Dr Kurt Straif from the WHO said.

Do you know if there was any correlation done with those who had colorectal cancer and fiber intake? I would suspect that if you eat a diet high in vitamins, minerals and fiber, that would significantly reduce that increase of processed meats.

I would also like to know how many of those who got cancer were obese and had family history of cancer.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    hekla90 wrote: »
    i eat two strips a day and blood work comes back perfect every year.

sounds more food fear mongering by the folks over at WHO, just like they do with sugar.

Also, a lot of things are related to colon cancer, and I would be curious to read the entire study, and that article does not link to it.

eat your bacon and be happy. If you were eating a package a day then you might have something to worry about.

/sigh the who did not do a study. They analyzed around 800 studies. This isn't based off one study. I think a lot of people just read the title without actually reading what the WHO released. Blood work does not generally test for cancer, only one I know off hand is prostate, admittedly not an oncology nurses. Most is detected through other means.

i never said blood work tested for cancer….my point is that bacon can be part of a healthy overall diet…

A lot of factors lead to cancer and singling out one is utterly ridiculous. I would like to review the studies to see what was actually studied, without that the information in the article is useless.

I was not aware that there was a report saying that eating processed meat is the one and only factor contributing to cancer. Are you sure you are referring to the same report?

where in any of my quotes did I say that?

My point is that to try to point to one cause of cancer is ridiculous.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I personally believe processed and smoked foods arent healthy. But colonoscopy well show you quite literally if there is anything to be concerned about there. Plus you get to show people the pictures to prove that your head really isnt up there. Win win!

so if your get adequate nutrition and hit macros and eat processed foods you are are not healthy???

You can have adequate nutrition, hit your macros, never eat processed food and smoke.
    Smoking still puts you at increased risk for cancer.
    You can be a non-smoker, with "perfect" nutrition, be regularly exposed to direct sunlight without protection, and you are again at increased risk for cancer, regardless of your other habits.
    WHO did not report that processed meat affects your macros. It reported it increases your risk for cancer.
    You can chose to ignore the reports, same as many people prefer to ignore warnings about smoking or about sunbathing. It comes down to priorities and the risks one is willing to take. It does not discredit the reports.

so now you are saying that I should never go in the sun, because sun cancer?

should I also not swim in the ocean, because sharks?

You totally missed the point that I was making, which is that you can eat processed foods, get adequate nutrition, and hit you macros and ones diet is still healthy.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    What I am getting from these discussions is that everything increases my chance of getting cancer.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

Being a painter
    Being an Iron worker
    or a wood worker
    or a shoemaker

drinking alcohol

Do you know if there was any correlation done with those who had colorectal cancer and fiber intake? I would suspect that if you eat a diet high in vitamins, minerals and fiber, that would significantly reduce that increase of processed meats.

This is an important point that many overlook, I think. Processed meats increase risk of colon cancer. Other things reduce that risk. It seems smart to me to balance in favor of the good, which is not the same as totally avoiding the bad.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

Being a painter
    Being an Iron worker
    or a wood worker
    or a shoemaker

drinking alcohol

Technically, everyone who's had a DEXA scan to determine their body fat percentage with increased accuracy is getting x-rays for fun.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    What I am getting from these discussions is that everything increases my chance of getting cancer.

I stopped worrying about that when I saw the studies on stress and cancer.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options

except fresh fruits and veggies, but they come with higher risks of food poisoning by bacteria like listeria...
  • ndj1979
    Options

for realz...
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

sounds more food fear mongering by the folks over at WHO, just like they do with sugar.

Also, a lot of things are related to colon cancer, and I would be curious to read the entire study, and that article does not link to it.

eat your bacon and be happy. If you were eating a package a day then you might have something to worry about.

/sigh the who did not do a study. They analyzed around 800 studies. This isn't based off one study. I think a lot of people just read the title without actually reading what the WHO released. Blood work does not generally test for cancer, only one I know off hand is prostate, admittedly not an oncology nurses. Most is detected through other means.

i never said blood work tested for cancer….my point is that bacon can be part of a healthy overall diet…

A lot of factors lead to cancer and singling out one is utterly ridiculous. I would like to review the studies to see what was actually studied, without that the information in the article is useless.

I was not aware that there was a report saying that eating processed meat is the one and only factor contributing to cancer. Are you sure you are referring to the same report?

Why is it ridiculous?
  • ndj1979
    edited October 2015
    Options

Why is it ridiculous?

because it is impossible to point to one cause of cancer as some people may be genetically more inclined to getting cancer and processed food would have nothing to do with that. Unless, you want to claim that processed foods now affect genetics?

take the example of skin cancer. You can have moles that are never exposed to sunlight and they still develop into a melanoma, because of ones family history or other factors.