• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »
    senecarr wrote: »
    senecarr wrote: »
    I remember a year or 2 ago there was a big thing in the news about how rice has cancer causing arsenic. Everything needs to be eaten in moderation. Bacon was never considered a healthy food so I don't think eating it on a daily basis is a good idea, but 1-2 times a week and skipping a few weeks here and there in my opinion would be fine.

Rice does have arsenic in it. Not dangerous levels but due to poor farming practices the levels have been rising over the years. It's higher in brown rice.

10 ppb Arsenic (or more) in drinking water is very likely to lead to more than 1/1,000,000 excess cancers, which is the "unacceptable" level for most other contaminants.

It is VERY expensive to remediate certain drinking water supplies to supply below this, but the moral is As is worse than we give it credit for being.

Virtually the only negative of As at this level is excess cancers over background though.

I believe statistical increases in diabetes are associated with lifetime water supplies below the 50 ppb As level but above 10 ppb. Let me see if I can google that.
    http://water.epa.gov/lawsregs/rulesregs/sdwa/arsenic/regulations_pro-factsheet.cfm
    First reputable source with actual numbers, though not exactly a scientific study of diabetes exactly.
    Also, the EPA uses ColdFusion for their webpage management. I am dissapoint.

still, if it weren't for excess cancers (closer to 1/1000 at 50 ppb) As would still be allowed to be 50 ppb in public water.

As is real conundrum. Adding it to some animal foods helps them grow, and certain forms in small amounts have been found to help with insulin sensitivity.

And then there are some organoarsenic compounds which are close to innocuous in certain seafoods.

Well now you're just spouting that dose making the poison nonsense. Poison can't be beneficial!

people get injected with the most toxic substance known to man (botox, which is natural) all the time...

Yeah, and then they spout about how harmful mercury in vaccines is.