WHO says my bacon is not good for me :-(

Options

Replies

• CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Oh wow, lots of responses here! Thank you everyone! Just to clarify, I wasn't worried I'd get cancer from 2 rashers of bacon. It was more about my circumstances + bacon + frustration because I'd forgotten how much I love bacon until recently.

As (bad) luck would have it, I've been at the hospital most of today and part of it was with a dietician - who said I have to cut back on bacon anyway. Nothing to do with cancer though; I was seeing her about newly-diagnosed prediabetes. She didn't say I have to cut it out completely, just not have it every day (as well as spreading my food out more, somethingsomething glycemic load - I'm very tired and can't remember it all). She's very happy with what I'm eating other than that though, including my lovely lovely carbs, and is delighted at my 26lb loss :-)
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    suzan06 wrote: »
    My mom is a colon cancer survivor.

The great thing about colon cancer is it is easily detectable and pretty treatable (as long as you are ok living with no colon for the rest of your life ;) ). I am a vegetarian so I have no hat in the bacon ring, but my general opinion from what I know about colon, which sadly is a lot, is that if you are making unhealthy colon choices, you better be prepared to poop your brains out for 24 hours and then have them rotoroot you the minute you turn 50, and then regularly after that.

Best read about colonscopies: Dave Barry.

My family has a lot of colon humor. We ask for group discounts on our rotorootings. Anesthesia never feels better than at a colonoscopy, trust me.

That Dave Barry article was a good one and is worth a read for anyone who has hit or is about to hit 50 years of age. :)

Many posters here are young enough that they cannot even imagine turning fifty. That's something that will happen to them when they're a whole different person! We've all been that young. :)

But it's a good read for the older people.

http://www.miamiherald.com/living/liv-columns-blogs/dave-barry/article1928847.html
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I'm lost. We can't eat bacon because of nitrates. Nitrates are from the celery powder. But, we can eat all the celery we want (with MUCH higher levels of nitrates) because natural?
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    I'm lost. We can't eat bacon because of nitrates. Nitrates are from the celery powder. But, we can eat all the celery we want (with MUCH higher levels of nitrates) because natural?

we don't typically pan fry celery...that's one difference.

But, even in non-organic bacon they add this chemical called sodium ascorbate, which serves as an anti-oxidant to reduce any nitrosamines formed during cooking bacon at all but high temperatures. So much of the "damage" is mitigated by the addition of this hard to pronounce chemical that is essential for human life (and it's expected to be consumed in cooking which is why bacon, and other foods preserved with vitamin C are often poor sources of it even though it's there).

Much of the nitrosamines you may be exposed to from celery powder (which has lower nitrIte but mainly nitrAte)come from nitrates reduced to nitrite and then formed naturally in within the body.

Also a take home is that burning bacon makes it "worse" (as is typically the case with any chargrilled meat).
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

Processing!!! Hello??!!

(Or something like that)
  • OneHundredToLose
    OneHundredToLose Posts: 8,523 Member
    Options
    You can be an absolute health nut and only ever eat organic, grass-fed grass and bathe in hand sanitizer every night and still get cancer. Or you can be a guy who smokes 4 packs a day and only eats steak and grease and never get cancer.

It's a crapshoot.
  • Kalikel
    Options
    Nobody is telling anyone what to eat.

Some people want to know how to decrease their risk for disease and want to adapt their diet and lifestyle in ways that will decrease the risk. They can take this info and choose to eat less processed meat.

Other people don't worry about it. They can take this info and dismiss it.

Either way.

Having the info allows us to make choices. It's not a bad thing to have, per se.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

Some people want to know how to decrease their risk for disease and want to adapt their diet and lifestyle in ways that will decrease the risk. They can take this info and choose to eat less processed meat.

Either way.

Having the info allows us to make choices. It's not a bad thing to have, per se.

It's a great thing to have information, but assuming that people who eat processed meat aren't interested in decreasing their risk for disease is just that- an assumption.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    You can be an absolute health nut and only ever eat organic, grass-fed grass and bathe in hand sanitizer every night and still get cancer. Or you can be a guy who smokes 4 packs a day and only eats steak and grease and never get cancer.

It's a crapshoot.

Hand sanitizer is a class 1A (at least manufacture of) carcinogen, so...
  • _John_
    edited October 2015
    Options

It's a crapshoot.

bathe in hand sanitizer?

(are you serious that nobody has giffed "that's really going to chafe my willie" from Robin Hood Men in Tights/)
  • OneHundredToLose
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

It's a crapshoot.

Hand sanitizer is a class 1A (at least manufacture of) carcinogen, so...

Don't stop to smell the roses, the sunlight will give you cancer
  • cmarangi
    cmarangi Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    There is actually research that also suggests that nitrates aren't necessarily as bad as they've been touted. All that to say "studies" can really bend the data to go whichever way you would like. You have to look at things like who is doing the study, who is paying, how the data was collected, etc. Processed anything really isn't good. Even Nitrate Free bacon uses nitrates that occur naturally (celery juice). Just don't live on bacon alone, and you will probably be just fine.
  • Kalikel
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »

Either way.

It's a great thing to have information, but assuming that people who eat processed meat aren't interested in decreasing their risk for disease is just that- an assumption.
    I totally agree with this. I'm so happy to able to agree with you. :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »

Is that really true? Celery isn't a terribly uncommon ingredient for a stir fry, and a mirepoix is a common base for all sorts of things, and normally includes celery. Is it just a matter of amount, or are we to think that this would have a similar risk (whatever it may be) to eating bacon and other processed meats.

I'm kind of intrigued by this.
  • _John_
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    _John_ wrote: »

Is that really true? Celery isn't a terribly uncommon ingredient for a stir fry, and a mirepoix is a common base for all sorts of things, and normally includes celery. Is it just a matter of amount, or are we to think that this would have a similar risk (whatever it may be) to eating bacon and other processed meats.

I'm kind of intrigued by this.

In one article I seemed to recall a reaction with the proteins, but I can't remember (of all people I should know this, But I studied arsenic/aflatoxin/drinking water mainly...
  • mysteps2beauty
    mysteps2beauty Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    hekla90 wrote: »
    Keep in mind that WHO is largely a political organization.

Their chief concern is politics not health.

I didn't realise that, thanks! I'll look into their motivation a bit more - when I've finished eating this ;-)

I'd like to point out they made no specific guidelines or recommendations based off this. It was a meta analysis of over 800 studies, not exactly new information. People sure are up in arms about it though.

Lots of paleo people out there who absolutely enjoy their meat...
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    edited October 2015
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    amberlyda1 wrote: »
    I love my organic bacon! Its not so much the bacon and meat...its the processing. Lots of people will defend processed foods, diet sodas, GMo etc. They will say they are totally safe. I personally believe that our bodies were not designed to handle and metabolize these science experiments we are putting into our bodies. Study after study has come out and shown that some of these artificial ingredients cause cancer or significantly up our chances of getting cancer. I dont have time to pull them up right now, but the studies are easy to find. I pulled up a snap shot of Oscar myer bacon ingredients. If you cant pronounce it, it probably shouldn't go in your body.

b581bwh9yosf.jpg

Right.. because a seedless orange is bound to kill me.

And there has not been any credible study to suggest gmo is bad. But if you have a non Monsanto study i am always interested.

I don't think seedless oranges are GMO

My mistake.. they are hybrids.. A better example would have been Hawaiian Papaya...
  • OneHundredToLose
    Options
    I love the argument "If you can't pronounce it, don't eat it". Half the people I see posting on here would die of starvation.

Not to mention that literally every food has the chemical DiHydrogen Monoxide in it. Watch out! Scary chemicals will kill you!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I love the argument "If you can't pronounce it, don't eat it". Half the people I see posting on here would die of starvation.

Not to mention that literally every food has the chemical DiHydrogen Monoxide in it. Watch out! Scary chemicals will kill you!

i5FL3.jpg