WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2015

Options

Replies

• Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    @margaretturk What I have been doing photo-wise is this. I have a free photo sharing site called Photobucket. I put the digital camera square thingy in the computer and put the pictures into our Pictures. Then I go to the Photobucket site and upload the photo. Then I go to one of Photobuckets tabs that says Library and the picture shows on the screen. Then I click to the right of the picture is an option IMG and it will say "copied" in yellow when you click it. So then I have our site up also and right click to paste it on here. It's really easy.

Becca

• Annr
    Options
    Hi everyone. I'm not sure if this will be a good fit for me or not, but I sure like the organization & mindfulness of this thread. I'm over 50, but very young at heart, with very specific health conditions. MFP & support from my health-conscious son has helped me become more aware of what I'm putting into my body. If it weren't for MFP I would never have recognized where my eating mistakes were occurring. I've been here nearly 3 months now, have only 1 RW friend here, & have found that ppl drop off with their level of dedication at times. I'm counting on others to help me stay motivated, recognize my mistakes, and to do better moving forward. My goal is to lower my calorie, sugar, carb, sodium & fat intake. I'm sedentary - it's hard (emtionally) for me to leave the house, therefore I get very little exercise & fresh air. I LOVE giving support/encouragement & of course like getting some as well. I just moved to the east coast from CA - what a difference! I want to lose 110 lbs, become a "clean" eater, & develope the courage to get outta the house, explore my area & become more active. This is DmB Junkie signing off until next time

Welcome! Just unload any mental baggage you have to the white sides of this thread. I joined this haven of ladies back in May and its a nice place to feel accountable. No judging, no pity parties, and if you just whine they will call you out on it. (In a loving way mind you)..

I have realized throughout my journey so far is one important fact. I need to walk the walk, to talk the talk. Not just say I want to be healthy, but to live it. To say what I mean, and mean what I say. If I eat something I own up to it, not just make up excuses.

I think it comes down to forgiving your self. To celebrate the fact there is perfection in IMPERFECTION. I know there are many ladies in here that have traveled the same road I am on. Like WISE WOMEN...but without the warts..... I try to pay attention and learn. Again....welcome!

Becca
    Oregon
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,716 Member
    Options
    bp13lzczor9s.jpg

new look for him, u like??? i picked them out myself!
  • pipcd34
    edited November 2015
    Options
    megblair - i don't make any of my dog food homemade. i mix two brands of dry dog food, one is cannidae senior platinum (lower fat) and it used to be royal canin medium special but rc is now selling their dog food direct so i switched to merrick dry dog food. i do get a case or two of moist merrick food but only put a teaspoon in with the dry so it lasts a lot longer.
  • pipcd34
    Options
    stats for the day:
    jog- 27.37min, 8.55ap-min. mi, 152ahr, 168mhr, 5k = 330cal
    rowing machine- 20min, 32av watts, 1st time using both hands, 2713 meters = 193cal
    total cal = 523
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Pip :) HOT!!!!!

Margaret :) Just absolutely gorgeous!!!

Carol NC :) I just love that fantastic smile on your face!!!!

Barbie :) I hope the pain has lessened in your legs! Sending you lots of good healing energy!

I have tackled one 9ft. Christmas tree today, cut myself twice on it and banged my head twice on the window sill :s . My mother would have told me she was going to wash my mouth out with soap :#:laugh:. I decided I should stop for the night and regroup tomorrow :) .

Hope everyone has a wonderful healthy and happy weekend!

Hugs,
    DeeDee relaxing in NC
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,807 Member
    Options
    evening my friends~
    It's been a long day.. back at the hotel and in my jammies
    I took a shower and stopped at the house and put laundry in dryer, and stopped at Walgreens and got Ray some York peppermint patties, and then stopped to see him this morning.. had to hunt his teeth down and clean them off, thank goodness for keeping gloves in each room.
    Met his room mate who was very nice.. then got in the car and went up to Orleans, to the Birdwatchers General Store.. there were a ton of things I would have loved to have bought but I was good and just bought a keychain..
    I had a killer headache so stopped for a bottle of water and an apple... then went to Nauset Beach.. quincidental Cape Cod Beach~ just stunning and alot of Surfers were out because it was a bit stormy.. will see if I can post some pictures later..
    Then took the scenic route back..stopped back at the house and met the neighbor who is helping Ray out. He was thrilled to death to meet me,he said because he didnt have a clue on who to call if something happened to them, so we exchanged numbers
    went in and got her laundry and then stopped back in to check on Ray, he is only a block from there home, then from there down to see Ruth..
    She is a force to be recond with..visited with her for about an hr and she asked that I bring her bills and checkbooks back down,so since I am leaving early tomorrow, stopped one more time to see Ray and brought him some magazines from home. and then back to to Ruth with her financial stuff, she was barking at the poor CNA because she didnt have her nightshirt on her right and it was bunching up and she was just miserable to both the CNA and me,took her awhile to calm down.. but I went and took her old nightshirt and washed it in the sink in the bathroom and hung it to dry, brushed her hair and helped get her situated and off I went, and here I am, checking in with you all.. so part of my day was for me,
    I just have to think will be the last time I see them alive? I think Ray will go first.Ruth is so tenatious she will not go down without a fight.. I think Ray has a brother,but Ruth only has 2 nieces in Germany and so neither of them have family close by..
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    DJ, the Fitbit flex stays on all the time, and you get an email telling you when the battery is getting low. But, Bluetooth needs to be turned on in your phones settings for the phone to recognize it and connect. You also have to go through a process of registering the device. It may have to charge longer than an hour. What kind of tracker do you have?
    17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    bp13lzczor9s.jpg

pipcd34 wrote: »
    bp13lzczor9s.jpg

He looks great!!! What a ordeal!! Great smile, threw the whole thing. Gayle Minneapolis

• Annr
    Options
    So, I found my "why is there a star upon the Christmas Tree" story for my felt tree. So I have a request for all the poem writers here. My advent story does not have a 24th story so this is how I always wrote the ending of my calendar for many years... (so you can understand the cadence of it:

1993- So Japan with all its' wonder
    rings in this Christmas Day,
    and Galen with his smiling face
    you're loved in every way.

1998-2004 (I was lazy for a couple of years)
    With life in Vallejo, so exciting and new,
    we ring in this Christmas Day.
    Galen, Patrick and Owain,
    a new baby, all buddies, in a caring
    and loving way.
    So, if I were to wish for something to have,
    it's something we've already got.
    It's laughter with love,
    and luck in life.
    Things that can't ever
    be bought.

2008- Christmas arrives late this year
    The reason is quite crystal clear.
    Galen get leave, on the 29th you see,
    and this family is happy as can be!
    This year took us to many places.
    To Oregon, Laguna Del Sol, such friendly faces.
    But now we're just having fun.
    Being together with the eldest son.
    All the boys have grown up in 2007
    and Galen we hope will have leave past January 11th!!

2009- Christmas comes right on time this "yearly",
    Galens' home HORRAY! we have missed him dearly.
    Getting his sea legs on the Big Blue,
    Landing helos, doing what he's trained to do.
    We live on Edwin Drive you see.
    Our family is content as they can be.
    Mom's getting slimmer by the day.
    She's doing it the Jenny Craig way.
    Lee has a scooter, it gives him a rush.
    A "chick magnet", he calls it, women seem to blush.
    He gives them a smile, a nice little wink,
    as they drive by, their cheeks turning pink.
    Patrick is blowing up bottles on the grass,
    using dry ice, and Sobe' glass.
    The reason is cuz it's so much fun,
    until Nadine, or neighbor yells, then it's done.
    He uses his bike for school transportation,
    but having Tim around, makes it seem like vacation.
    Owain's always reading, head in a book.
    He's doing it now, see have a look.
    His brain seems to gravitate towards histories,
    learning facts, unraveling mysteries.
    His friends notice he's somewhat unique,
    but such a good pal, week after week.
    So as we await summer to tan our *kitten*,
    we toast to our life, and lift our glasses.
    We realize just how lucky we are,
    even though we don't really own a car..... :-)

2014- Many Christmas's have come and gone,
    we moved from Cali to Oregon.
    The reason was because Lee needed a liver.
    And on May of this year, an unknown angel became a giver.
    So it was a year of healing, of taking it slow.
    of appreciating our blessings, letting love flow.
    To say what I mean
    and mean what I say.
    To live in the moment,
    day to day.
    To not take for granted life's simply treasures,
    but to laugh and smile...
    and appreciate the pleasures.

Nothing has really changed since writing that last year so I will use it for this year..
    So now the challenge is to write a poem that embodies the spirit of this group. The struggles, the joys, the commitment.... Have fun with it! Submit the poem to me via a message and I will pick one blindly from a jar!

Becca

• Elaine352962
    Elaine352962 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    The morning started well. Got weighed and I had gained a half pound. Went Christmas Shopping and my back and legs are aching, really enjoyed the shopping and I'm pleased that I have bought some great things. Can't wait to get them wrapped up. Visited Costa Cofee with my daughter had half a lemon bun and a tea. Thank god I only had half 7pp a full bun is 14pp. After several hours of looking for gifts we went home had a Chinese Takeaway (gave up counting pp's by then), 49 weekly pp's have probably been used up. Tomorrow is a new day a I will be right back tracking, weighing and exercising and moving forward to a slimmer me. Good Luck everyone on your successes. Hope you all had a great day.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,983 Member
    Options
    :) I haven't had a chance to post since yesterday morning. I got to my line dance class wondering if the tingling in my legs would keep me from dancing and thinking that I might have to have my friend do the dancing for me like she did a few months ago, but when it was time to start the half hour of free dance before class, she wasn't there so I tried dancing and was fine. That's when I found out that I was at the point in my head cold when my voice is gone so I was grateful for the microphone I use when I teach. The class was great even with less than half the usual attendance. After class I went to lunch at the home of one of the students in the class. She had invited eight guests but only four were able to be there. Her home was beautiful and all the food was beautiful. I declined the champagne and had a small glass of juice. I ate the quiche (fortunately, her husband had suggested that she serve the sausage on the side so the quiche actually was meatless. I ate some fresh fruit and a small serving of jello with fruit and walnuts and stayed away from the giant croissants, cheesecake, and pumpkin pie. The conversation was very pleasant until it suddenly took a turn into a very emotionally charged and political topic which led me to my feet to say that I'd have to be the early leaving party pooper because Jake needed the car to pick up Sasha from the vet.

:) We did have to pick Sasha up from the vet after her dental work that included some extractions. She was not a happy dog when we picked her up and she whimpered on and off until bedtime when she settled into bed and seemed more comfortable. She finally felt like eating some soft food this afternoon and has been doing better.

:)Kim your story about the veal in the vegetarian food, reminded me of the time a friend offered to fix a vegetarian curry for the very observant Hindu brother of one of her friends. She told me later that the curry tasted so bland to her that she decided to add some chicken bouillon to it to make it taste better.

t09014.gif it's cold enough now that I put flannel sheets on the bed and added another layer of blankets.

t09011.gif Barbie from beautiful, chilly NW Washington (probably not as cold as Minnesota, Alberta, and Saskatchewan)
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Pip - I like Kirby's new glasses. You did an awesome job in the choosing. Sorry, but there really aren't any more juicies to tell. It was a very platonic 'date.'

Thanks for all of the compliments on my picture! I was feeling goofy when I got home so I played with selfies for a while. Here's one I added to my dating sites profiles.

vgu4euaj0pe8.jpg

I'm truly not photogenic so I have a hard time finding any picture that I'm satisfied with.

I've had a productive day even if my food choices stunk. Tomorrow is a new day and I have a big batch of the Weight Watchers 0 point (52 calorie) soup all done up in my individual servings.

I talked to my son earlier today and he has evidently gone ahead and made the choice to not go back to school at UNC Charlotte next semester. He was ultra cranky when I called (my mother is the one who told me he has made the decision) and I gave up asking questions at that point. He'll tell me when he is ready. However, he and I are going to have a serious discussion about money! His regular fishing rods were destroyed in the accident and he'd told me he'd bought a new one. I came across the receipt today--$228 for a freakin fishing rod!! If he fished professionally or to feed himself, maybe, but this is for the random times he fishes and throws the fish back in. A nice Walmart rod should do anything he needs. Wouldn't be my business but I struggle to send him money every month.

So, I think I'll be having another date tomorrow...

Carol in NC
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,392 Member
    Options
    Boy, do I have a lot of cating up to do, so I'll probably just do some skimming.

When we got to the hotel I was pleasantly surprised to find that their fitness center was back in order and I could use it. Unfortunately, they added an extra treadmill (to the 2 they had) and they only have one elliptical. But I did see where I can plug in my laptop and do a weight DVD using their weights.

On Friday I walked on the new treadmill, couldn't figure out how to increase the sound on the television so I just listened to some of my podcasts. Then today I used the elliptical. Now I know why I really don't care for that one. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Pilates Anytime DVD.

Goodness! over 100 posts to read!

Janetr - so happy to hear you grandson is doing better

On Black Friday went to the Kohl's in Herndon to get a blowdryer Denise wanted since I had a $10 off coupon good for that day, plus another 15% (only!) off. So I got a $40 blowdryer for $27. I guess I can live with that price. We were VERY surprised that the store wasn't real crowded. We had allowed at least 2 hours to find it and then for me to get in line. Had a hard time finding it, but didn't wait that long to check out.

Rori - so sorry about your hubby. Hope they get his procedure scheduled soon

Thanksgiving was nice at Jess'. There were about 11 there. Her place isn't that big so getting around was a bit tough, but we managed. As usual, the turkey literally fell apart before we could get it out of the pan! I made this healthy pumpkin pie. Admitted, when I was reading the recipe, I was skeptical. But I can't believe how good it tasted!

Remember the gal who I told you about that I was making cake for her wedding cake? Well, she tried the samples I sent and said she wanted the key lime (not the gluten free one), the regular chocolate (not the fudge) and a vanilla cake. I think she means just a yellow cake. I was a bit surprised that she didn't want the gluten free cake. She's (to my understanding) gluten intolerant. Yet, she brought an apple pie to Jess' and took part of it home saying that she'd have it for breakfast. Wonder if it's more that she tries to avoid gluten (for some reason) rather than the fact the she's gluten intolerant.

Alison - ((((HUGS)))))

drkatiebug - wht a cool turkey you made! I didn't see the canadian bacon, tho

Gloria - if the average American consumer 4500 calories, I think I beat the average

Carol in NC - so glad your shoulder is getting better. Glad your meeting went so well.

Joyce - oh, yes, I do x-stitch. That sounds so neat to do! I might have to ask at AC Moore what that fabric is, never heard of it.

Rosie - what lovely company you had!

barbie - I can just imagine how you feel not being able to teach the class. I know how I felt when I broke that bone in my foot and it just about killed me not to be able to exercise. Later: how great that you could dance!

pip - glad you got heat! Kirby is looking so great! What did you mean when you said that RC is now selling their product direct? RC is a Mars product and I don't know of any different selling procedure. You go girl with that exercise!

Sylvia - I hate mice, too, with a purple passion, so I feel for ya

Joyce - how nice that your nephew's ex-gf is coming for Christmas!

Michele in NC
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    I'm finally caught up again! Yay!

So ... Pecan pie had been my meal replacement for a couple of days... 1/8 of my pie is 733 calories!

Black Friday sales ... Nope. My sanity is worth more. And we mostly give gift cards to the nieces/nephews. Stupid really ... I send a gift card to my brothers kids and he sends them to mine.

Remember I bought a new to me dining room set this past summer? Even though it was just the four of us, we had dinner in the dining room. And I enjoyed every minute of it.

Allison ... It does not sound like you've been resting at all!

Meg ... Hello! Good to see you!

Deedee ... Hello to you too!

Pip ... Glad you have heat and Kirby is smiling!

Sylvia ... Not a fan of mice either ... We have them in the basement.

Carol ... Your dimples were showing after your date! Good for you ... You deserve it. As for fishing poles ... My husband is a fly fisherman ... Buys and builds bamboo rods ... It can get pricey for fish they catch and release! Of course, he buys them with his own money, not his mom's.

I will take down my harvest decorations tomorrow and then do some serious cleaning this week. By Friday I'll start on the Christmas decor ... But I can't bring it out when rhe house seems dusty.

Katla ... What find if lights do you use for SAD? I'm finding the regular light bulbs are too dim for me this year.

Barbie ... Sorry your luncheon took a wrong turn. Some subjects are best left untouched.

Well, off I go! Have a great evening.

Beth near Buffalo

• miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    lxsw0glxsu93.jpg
    own291v15i52.jpg

Beth, my new to me dining set, got it on Friday. I find the lights designed for needlework, with a flexible neck, work well for me. You can get table top or stand alone ones. They have full spectrum bulbs, and I just aim the light right at my face.
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Michele, this is what I mean http://www.joann.com/diamond-double-faced-quilt-fabric/prd18961.html#q=pre+quilted+fabric&start=2 hope it helps. This is from Jo Annes fabric

Allison, glad you are enjoying yourself. I see you are doing your usual thing, taking care of others. I think that this is your spiritual gift and you wouldn't be able to survive if you weren't helping some one else. It is what drives you. I am glad that there are people like you in this world.

After lunch today we went to the grocery store and Bed Bath and beyond. I think our grand kids ate us out of house and home. A lot of staple items that we really didn't use for Thanksgiving seemed to be eaten by two young ladies. I didn't know that a 9 year old could be such an irritating little buggar but you still love her so much. I don't agree with some of my daughter's parenting skills. She has said before that whatever grandma says in her house, you do. But it is not always that way now that they are getting older and they ignore me and Mom doesn't do anything about it. These are all petty things, nothing that is going to shudder the earth and hell but still are irritating tome and holidays are always a time where I am a little stressed out and tired to begin with. Up until this year Charlie has been able to help out so much more but he can't now.

I am getting worried more and more about him. His fingers and hands are getting numb. It is difficult for him to do things like button his shirt, cut his nails, etc. So he is getting more and more distressed. He is jsut sure that he will not be alive for next Thanksgiving. I try to take him to an urgent care or ER but he won't go. To me I don't think these things are really that bad, that he is making them seem worse than they really are. If he isn't thinking about them, he does these things fine with no problem. And his colon seems to be better. He can only have about 2 or 3 stools during the day but then 12 at night. That is an improvement as far as the day but not the night. Of course he is still drinking the tomato juice. While we were at Walmart, Charlie picked up on of their large pizzas in the deli. You know the ones that are right by the front door. I told him that I wouldn't be eating any of that for supper. So he ate the whole thing. and he wonders why he has so much diarrhea at night.

Barbie, glad you were able to do your line dance class today and go out with the students as usual. You always make wonderful choices as far as food and leaving a situation if it is getting on a subject you don't like.

Carol, like you new profile picture for your online dating sight. It shows that you aren't putting on airs, making yourself out to be some one you aren't. You are comfortable in wearing a plaid shirt and being you.

Bought a stoking gift today!1!!!! That is my 1st one I have bought. Bed, bath and beyond has these wooden puzzles for adults and that is just his kind of mind bending play. Of course Ellie will get in there and play them also and that's another reason why I bought them. I had a $5 off coupon and this was $10 so I presented the coupon. Silly me needs to read the coupon to see you have to have at least a $15 purchase. But I guess one item is making progress for me! Silly me, since it was raining all day, I jsut left my jacket on while we were out shopping. This evening about 6 I went in the bathroom, wondered why my back was a little cool and saw I had my blouse on backwards! I sure am glad I kept my jacket on all day while we were out.

Nighty nite, see you on the flip side, Joyce, Indiana
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    I had to take Cracker to the ER today; my son hit her with his truck. It could have been a disaster. He thankfully only ran over her foot, no breaks, just bruising; so vet gave her a shot and some pills for me to give her. Will was really, really upset about it. She apparently ran under his truck as the front wheels went by her and got clipped by the back ones. I would have cried if he had killed her. He felt the bump and got out of the truck, just knowing he had killed her; he walked back to the house and Louis brought her in like a baby about the time Will told me that he had run over her. I almost 'freaked' when Louis came in holding her like a baby, too, and she was so still, not even wagging her tail. Said he saw Will's truck going up the driveway and Lily running after him (Lily is his dog/baby) and he knew that Cracker was out in the yard; but did not see her. I guess a puppy doesn't know that those big things with wheels on them can do a helluva lot of bad stuff. So thankful she isn't hurt that bad; but, she won't/can't put her weight on her front left foo. She's been sleeping all afternoon; I think I will just put her in her crate and not worry about taking her out unless she wakes me up.
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    Miriam ... Beautiful detail on the chairs!

Lenora ... Sorry cracker was hurt but so glad it wasn't more serious.

Joyce ... My husband often makes dumb food choices and then wonders why he doesn't feel well ... Sheesh!

Beth
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    Joyce – the part that makes me wonder is if the little ones have that as a role model how will they raise the next generation….

DmB – welcome, this is a caring group – hang out with us on this lifestyle adventure

Pip – Kirby looks like a distinguished kid – the glasses are the distinguished part and the kid is the twinkle in his eye!

Alison – you are so nice! It is sad to think this might be the last time with them, - how did you get to know Ruth and Ray?

Carol – I think you are more photogenic than you think! Enjoy your date! I am glad for you. As for your son and his choices about how to spend money, you can always decide to pay just certain bills and then pay them directly so his “extra” spending is not coming from your money.

Well, so I told yesterday about thanksgiving day, but then on black Friday my mom and I did our tradition, we “shop” all day, but not in the usual sense, we pack up and go to the local mountains to a Christmas tree farm pick out 2 trees (6-7 feet for me) (8-10 for her), then I cut them down, carry them to the car, and this year put mine inside (I drive a honda CRV) and got a couple of guys to put Mom’s on the roof and tie it down. Then we go to lunch – this year lunch was at 3pm and we ate a deli, (No Taco Bell - yeah!) I had a 330 calorie sandwich – so that was not too bad as it was both lunch and dinner.

Today I did shopping for the business – grr! But have also done a couple of shopping carts of stuff online. Always leave them for a few hours to make sure I don’t think of something else I need to be sure to do the best on shipping.

Really need to get my Christmas letter written and make a decision on cards – I have a photo I could do photo cards with, or just have some copies done and send them along. I have a BUNCH of cute cards I was at a yard sale last feb. and Christmas cards were in a big bag and a friend and I got the back for a couple of bucks and then split them up, I have 100 + cards lots of different styles.

November Goals -
    Attend yoga each wednesday evening
    Walk everyday –would like to see 160 miles
    continue counseling and hold my weight where it is as I deal with my current set of emotional issues
    weekly fun things
    W1 – football – we won! Working on craft show crafts
    W2-
    W3-
    W4
    Kim from N. California