WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2015

Options

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    bwcetc wrote: »
    I'm finally caught up again! Yay!

Katla ... What find if lights do you use for SAD? I'm finding the regular light bulbs are too dim for me this year.

Beth near Buffalo

Beth: I will need to ask DH for details so that I'll be sharing the right information. Many of our lights are LEDs but we have some specifically marketed as solar lights for Seasonal Affective Disorder. I'm far from home and can't look at them to give you details right now. I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

Katla
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,549 Member
    Options
    nite peeps
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,212 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!
    Looking forward to a day getting sorted. Still a bit cross about the phone not arriving, but it's not a huge deal. ;)

Started to put holiday clothes on the spare bedroom floor. Will have a quiet ponder. I am taking a hold suitcase so it's not a matter of whittling it all down to the bone. Thank goodness. B)
    I'm now at the stage of wearing my old, worst clothes that I can't possibly take with me. :D Washing a few that I might. When the children were young I used to call it "odd socks day". It's the only time I regret having a very small, capsule wardrobe. :laugh: I'm a bit of a minimalist.

My Paperwhite arrives today. I have more glasses to wrap and box, but I am going to chill and hopefully not get a bad back for once. Christmas cards to finish.

Love to all. Loving all the photos. Nice. :D What a good looking lot!

Love Heather UK
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,703 Member
    Options
    Morning again~
    I cant remember if I wrote you earlier...
    I woke up a little after 11pm fell asleep after falling asleep at around 7...watched a bit of t.v. and got my stuff together and shoved off.. I hate driving in the dark, but you know whwne you want to get home you just go.. the GPS took me highway which is good was a tad bit longer but the other way is back roads and would have had me a little scared if I did that.. listened to Sirus radio all the way Frank Sinatra .. got home around 4:15 this morning, took the dogs for a quick walk, and then hopped back in bed and got another hour and a half of sleep..
    feel better..
    Kim~ Here is how I met Ruth and Ray , my friend Doris that lives down here she is like my second mom,her and her husband used to have a time share in Hyannis and would go up twice a year... so after he passed away,I would go up with her, way back when they bought it Ruth had bought one also ,so that is how they met Doris and Harold...
    Ruth finally retired from the Phone company and her and Ray bought a house on the Cape in South Yarmouth..
    so I have known them more than 20 yrs and Doris and I are really the only friends they have.. I met there next door neighbor Gene yesterday so Ray has him also..
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Miriam, I love your new dining room furniture.

Lenora, so sorry that your pup got run over. We have to watch the Pom like a hawk or he would be gone in a minute. Loves to chase the mail carrier, garbage trucks, etc.

I am getting back on track today. I have not been logging and have cheated like crazy. I am only hurting myself and know it. I find that the more I eat, the more I want to eat so it's time to get back to measuring.

Carol - Peach
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone

Sunday today and lots to do. Mom is settled into Acute Care in the nearby health center. she has been in this facility before so she is familiar with the people and is getting visitors. She will move to long term care when there is a bed available. She told a visitor yesterday, "Now you know where I live" so she is accepting the move, thank goodness!!

DDIL and DGD are coming today to make Christmas cards. So I best get my scrapbooking room tidied up and all the Christmas items out so we can just craft away.

Grey Cup Sunday today (Canadian Football League's top prize) so best get outside this morning and get a walk in before DDIL gets here and before the game starts

Take care everyone
    Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone. Yesterday I spent a few hours at the studio while hubby worked on catching the mouse, but he didn't have any luck. He put out eight traps loaded with peanut butter. Then in the evening we picked up the grandkids and took them out to eat. When we got back he checked the traps again but no luck. He had cleaned out the walk in closet and taken everything off the floor so we were pretty sure the mouse wasn't in there anymore. So, I went to bed and tried to get to sleep. A few minutes later hubby came in and found Molly on the floor at the foot of the bed with a dead mouse! (Molly is a natural at killing things.) That was the bed where I was lying at the very moment when she was chewing on it! I was hysterical! Hubby "took care of it" and said he was pretty sure the house was now mouse-free. So, after I calmed down, I tried to get to sleep. During the night I noticed Spot was hunting again, in the closet. Later, he laid down on the floor by my side of the bed, staring intently at the closet door. I truly think he was protecting me. So, the house is officially completely infested with mice and I'm going to have to move out. The funny thing is that we aren't finding ANY droppings anywhere, so we are hoping that means there aren't very many and they just moved in.

We have had mice before. When we came home from a year on sabbatical in California the house was truly overrun with them. It took months before we felt like they were finally gone. We tried using those humane traps, but they didn't work very well. Neither of us like killing things, but we can't live with mice. I sure wish we had a cat, but I guess Molly is the next best thing.

Well, I have some chores to do early, then the kids are coming over. I'm making lasagna for them tonight.

Have a great day, everyone!

Sylvia
  • Katla49
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Beth Near Buffalo: We use Verilux lights. DH said to log into Amazon and type in SAD lamp. The light temperature is anything above 4800 degrees kelvin. You can also go to Verilux.com and click on light therapy. :heart:
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Lillian, so glad to hear your mom settled in. What a huge relief that must be!

My dog likes to run to our car to go for rides and has had a few close calls. So sorry, Lenora.

Heather, you sound just like me when I pack.

Love to all!

Miriam in Iowa
  • Katla49
    Options
    Leonora: I am so sorry about your dog. Our fur children are important in our lives. :heart: :heartbreak:
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Carol I have to get back on track as well, Thanksgiving day was fine, it's those darn left overs and eating out while shopping that has gotten me to fall off the wagon. Just made a simple soup from veggie leftovers and I'm sure that will get me back on the straight path, I continue to log, even the bad stuff, cause that is the quickest way for me to drop out, as soon as I stop logging, I just give up, so I have to put every thing into the diary.
    Structure for me, prepping food and keeping the trigger food out of the house (am giving away the crackers and dip tomorrow at work) is my approach for this week.

Barbie have you seen the PBS exercise lady? Miranda something, she is a big on movement and stretching to alleviate all that ills us as we age. I am going to do some research on her and try to add that to my week. Don't know if stretching would be any help with your nerve pain?

Also, somebody is offering December yoga classes every Tuesday in December after work to combat the holiday stress, I am going to try it out----just don't want it to stress me out--lol

Can't believe November has flown by!!! Karen from NY
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Last night I got frustrated with the slow progress of my foot, and looked at some medical and physical therapy sites for ideas to speed the healing up. Everything I read stated how important resting the tendon for 6 to 8 weeks is. UGH! Some even suggested splinting the toe. UGH! No quick cures in sight. Oh well.
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Margaretturk - We have an 'outside' kitty who does her share of killing things and bringing them to the door so we'll see what she gotten. Anything from a chipmunk, down to getting a head of a rabbit, that had to be almost his same size judging from its size. One of my DOS's 3 cats will come down here and spend his days hunting as well; he and Tux don't get along - , off and on their deck, so I doubt the have mice either; they' re just totally worthless. DH also uses peanut butter, too, because they can't steal it and the traps go 'boom'. They've not figured that out. DYS went home today - boy, I already miss him; but, not crying yet. DOS and DH will be leaving in a little more than 2 weeks for a week of hunting with him out in Louisiana. I can't go because they will have the truck fully packed with hunting equipment and there would be 'any room'. DYS was sick the whole time he was here. Sure hope I don't get it, he sounded miserable.

I'm just happy that Cracker was not killed. Will has run over 3 dogs now, killing one of them (my DOS's lab before he got Luna). He injured his first lab and he is a 'big baby' and lazy, too. Walks with a limp. Cracker came up the back deck steps without help this AM; but, I think she'd have a hard time to use the regular ones. I will check the next time she has to go out if she can make it down the steps going down the next time. I just hope she doesn't limp; she is faster than anything and can already outrun my son's dogs. She is now sleeping in her bed beside me. Poor baby. Medicine has taken over now.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,212 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Miriam - How frustrating! :flowerforyou:

Lillian - must be a relief to get your mum settled. <3

I have finished the Christmas cards and done all the glass packing. DH has been doing some china. It took me a while to unstick all the photos from the blackboard which were held up with blutack. I had always just added another layer so there were piles of them! :laugh: The glassware is in the cot in the annexe.
    Pleased with my progress :D

My Kindle arrived and is charging. I remembered my Bluetooth headphones to take with me, so I charged them up, once I had found the right connection. :* There just seem to be sooooooo many things to charge these days and most need something special. :sad: You go away with a suitcase of wires! Got to charge the camera tonight. :s

Sea bass tonight. I picked our own purple sprouting broccoli this afternoon.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,052 Member
    Options
    Lost my previous post.

Lenora sorry about Cracker.

Miriam love the furniture.

Still getting decorations out. Taking my time.

:heart: Margaret
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Morning Ladies,

DmB, welcome. We have ladies here with all sorts of different specific health problems and then some that have hardly any. Many of us are young at heart, whatever our age so you have come to a great place for support and information. You will also find that there are ladies here that have been on this thread for years and yes, we have some that are here for a few days and disappear. Come often and join right in. Many of us have taken this as a lifelong journey.

Meg, sorry for the weather you are having, along with so many others. When we put up the Christmas lights yesterday it was in the low 70s. I got a little hot and was wearing a t-shirt and jeans. I do hope you get your snow day.

Heather, it sounds like you are getting ready. When do you leave? What will the weather be like for your travels? I hope you have a wonderful time.

Pip, you did good. But to be honest, he would look good in almost anything. Lol

DeeDee, so good to see you in the room. I started on my Christmas tree today, too, but that slight bending that I find myself doing is not agreeing with my back. Therefore I am taking it very slowly even in getting it set up.

Allison
    , so glad you took a little time for yourself while helping your friends. It is sad to know that any visit could be the last. Again, they are so lucky to have you!!! You are one of the most giving people I know. (((((Hugs)))))

Becca, what a nice tradition. Your poems are great.

Elaine
    , good for you on your successful shopping trip. I used to love wrapping gifts but have gotten lazy and use gift bags for most of them now.

Barbie
    , so glad your legs didn’t keep you from dancing while teaching your class. A heated political discussion is a good reason to exit early.

CarolNC, I have to agree that a fishing rod could be purchased for so much less. And yes, if you are sending money, it’s definitely your business!!! Why don’t they understand???? I like the picture!! Dang you look young too. Do you ladies have some type of wrinkle cream you haven’t shared or am I just the only one with wrinkles? Is this next date the same guy or a new one?

MicheleNC, so glad you got to exercise at the hotel work out room. Even if it had been closed, I know you would have been doing DVD’s in your room or the lobby or the sidewalk. loopy.gif showoff.gif trampoline.gif

Beth, glad you enjoyed your dining room. I used mine and we ended up with just 3 of us. I love an occasion to use my good china and silver. It’s actually such a waste that I have service for 10 in each of them and have never had more than 8 people at once. I still have sterling silver in the plastic sleeves that it came in.

Miriam, nice table. Hope you enjoy! Were you surprised to find there were no quick cures? We all wish!

Lenora, so glad Cracker wasn’t hurt any worse.

Kim, it sounds like a fun day of shopping going to the tree farm.

CarolGA, I don’t think you are alone in needing to get back to proper eating. I really went a little crazy this year but have been doing better the past day.

Lillian, glad your mom is settling in.

Sylvia, glad Molly got the varmint and I hope that was the only one. Yum on the lasagna.

Our turkey was a touch over 14 pounds this year but didn’t seem to have as much left over as we normally have. Yesterday I started with a base of the gravy and made a turkey soup. It turned out yummy. Rather than noodles, I used rice in it since DH is a big rice fan and I rarely cook it. Today it will be more fresh veggies. I’m slowly working on getting the tree set up and then will start decorating. That may be tomorrow but I have a pretty full schedule tomorrow. I did get most of the other decoration out so it’s beginning to look very festive around here.

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • miakoda40
    miakoda40 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Grits - So sorry to read Cracker got hurt. So relieved to see that she will recover. My heart was in my throat when I read she got hit.

Mia in MI
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,549 Member
    Options
    morning peeps -

exermom wrote: pip - glad you got heat! Kirby is looking so great! What did you mean when you said that RC is now selling their product direct? RC is a Mars product and I don't know of any different selling procedure. You go girl with that exercise!

reply: when i meant that RC is now selling direct, that means they are now selling direct to retail stores. the used to have a company sell their product to retail stores for them so they took out the middle man. i worked for a company that sold pet food and products to independent retailers (think of petsmart and petco as the competition). so now it's not available to buy it where i used to get it from.
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,752 Member
    Options
    Katla ... Thank you and your husband for the lighting information. I'm really struggling with some of the lights in our home this year.

DJ ... I just made turkey soup with brown and wild rice, soft wheat and rye berries (a Texmati Royal rice blend). Comes in at 74 calories for a large ladle full!

I was wrong ... Some of my Christmas decorations are going up before December ... I forgot today was the first day of advent ...

We're watching football and taking it easy. Husband woke up with a stomach bug ... Hoping he doesn't share!

Have a great day.
    Beth near Buffalo

• bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,752 Member
    Options
    Won't let me edit ... The soup is 90 calories ... Forgot to put the stock into the recipe builder!