WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2015

Options

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,212 Member
    Options
    Carol - Just read about the horrible accident. I am sending everyone my loving thoughts. <3:flowerforyou:

Heather UK
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,093 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Carol Poor little mite! (((Hugs))) and (((prayers))) :heart:

Lenora So sorry to hear about wee Cracker. Thankful that she wasn't badly injured.

Pip You must have been a Girl Scout! Stay safe out there! Good idea about the backpack.

Barrie lmao at that vision of you on the chair! Reminds me of the time I grabbed the laundry basket to chase a mouse round the kitchen, and when I managed to actually trap it, the wee blighter escaped through one of the holes in the basket. My daughters and I were helpless with laughter at that one.

Becca We've been on nudist beaches in France, but the climate in N Ireland doesn't lend itself to nudity, even at the best of times. You would die of hypothermia :grimace::grimace:

DJ It's a bit early for me to put up our tree, although I do like to see them appearing all round me. There were loads to see on our way home from visiting DD#1 yesterday evening. I like to play Christmas songs and have a glass of bubbly. We used to decorate our tree on Christmas Eve and keep it up for the 12 Days of Christmas. It was one of our family traditions when my grandchildren came to stay. I made decorations with my own children every year when they were small. Some of those still go on the tree.

Joyce I love going to the Midnight Carol Service on Christmas Eve. Our church has proper candle sconces on the columns and the atmosphere is so up-lifting. DD#1 often goes with me.

Allison Glad you made it back home in one piece. Hopefully, your absence will have made Tom more appreciative of your presence. How long will you be in Florida? What a lovely treat to look forward to!

I have a rare 'free' morning today so am not rushing to get up. DH has brought me tea in bed and gone off to his yoga class. It's a definite Duvet Day, although I do have to collect all my papers together to give to DD#2 this evening when she comes to dinner, so that she can do my tax return. She's a chartered accountant.

On Sat, I did a PP presentation for my art history group on Tues afternoon and emailed it off, not realising I had done the wrong artist. Had to sit up last night and do the right one, so this duvet day seems very seductive. But, on the other hand, I need my breakfast, so will shake a leg and brave the elements.

:heart: Healing thoughts and prayers to those who need them! :heart:

:sunglasses: Welcome to our Newbies. Sit a spell! :sunglasses:

:star: Each one of us is a vital cog in an infinite universe. :star:
    We may not know our purpose, but each cog needs to be oiled and tended.

:heart: May peace and joy shine on your day! :heart:

smiley-happy110.gif

Irish Terri harp.gif

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,703 Member
    Options
    Morning Ladies~
    Carol~ will keep your nephew and his daughter in my prayers.....It is so scary .. we have had many of those kind of accidents..
    Becca~ looked up AANR and there are 2 here in Connecticut,and 1 in RI. and 1 on the Cape.. sorry I am to round and fat to even think about being naked anywhere except the shower.. lol
    Grits~ so sorry about Cracker,just glad it wasn't worse....
    both Tom and I were sooo tired and fell asleep a little after 6 last night,,, but slept through the night....
    working this coming Saterday and that will be the last one for the year... we will be in Florida 2weeks from now!!!
    Will call Ruth and Ray today and tell them I got home alright...
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Prayers for Carol's family. What an awful thing to have happened.

I am going to my aunt's funeral today. Evidently, she had terminal cancer and no one knew. My mom is the last one living out of all the aunts and uncles in the family I grew up in. Hoping the traffic on I-75 won't be terrible.

Carol - GA - Peach

• klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Michele-exermom....i found some free youtube clips of stretching program called essentrics, it is from a pbs exercise program . I am too frugal to buy the dvd program but the founders name is miranda something. Program called aging backwards,,,.lots of flowing movement, stretching, might not be for the truly fit like you, but just right for me as i am just getting moving. Will be added to my december goals! Yikes, December!
    Just packed a healthy lunch for work and have recommited myself to get back on healthy track....leftovers :s are gone!
    Karen from ny
  • Peach1948
    Options
    The Classical Stretch television series is created, produced and hosted by Miranda Esmonde-White. The #1 fitness show on PBS for over 15 years—Classical Stretch has been helping people of all ages and fitness levels rebalance their bodies, increase mobility and keep joints healthy and pain-free. Based on the intelligent fitness technique Essentrics—each 30-minute episode of Classical Stretch features a full-body workout with dynamic strengthening and stretching exercises: all-standing, all-floor or all-barre.

I think this is the one you are referring to. I am going to look for it on You Tube.
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Ok I think you are all sick of my mouse drama, but I have to tell you what happened last night. We were getting into bed when we heard Molly out in the great room. She was barking wildly and there was a lot of skittering sounds like she was chasing something across the wood floor. I was terrified (no surprise) so hubby crept down the hall to check and said she was definitely hunting something around the dining room table. Then there was sort of a boom, like she knocked over a chair or something, and everything went quiet. He went back out and found her curled up on the sofa. So, we thought she must have given up on the mouse, or had killed it.

This morning I came carefully out of the bedroom, looking on the floor, hoping I would not find her "kill" from the night before, but I did find it. My grandson's green balloon was dead in the middle of the floor.
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    No time
    Ok I think you are all sick of my mouse drama, but I have to tell you what happened last night. We were getting into bed when we heard Molly out in the great room. She was barking wildly and there was a lot of skittering sounds like she was chasing something across the wood floor. I was terrified (no surprise) so hubby crept down the hall to check and said she was definitely hunting something around the dining room table. Then there was sort of a boom, like she knocked over a chair or something, and everything went quiet. He went back out and found her curled up on the sofa. So, we thought she must have given up on the mouse, or had killed it.

This morning I came carefully out of the bedroom, looking on the floor, hoping I would not find her "kill" from the night before, but I did find it. My grandson's green balloon was dead in the middle of the floor.

Thanks for providing my first laugh of the day! :):):)

Cheri NE Ohio
  • Peach1948
    Options
    I think God is telling me to stay off the road today. #1 A semi truck overturned on the expressway with a chemical spill and #2 I get dressed and ready to leave and my car battery (bought last summer) is dead. So, I have taken off my good clothes and am waiting for DH to remove the dead battery so we can go get it replaced. The car is in the garage and we can't even get it in neutral to back it out. :'(

Carol - Peach
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    nccarolb wrote: »
    Ladies, I've received some bad news this evening. My 8-year-old grandniece was watching as her dad drove a dirt bike into a tree--no helmet and a broken limb at face level. As of an hour or so ago, he was still in surgery but the doctors are saying his chances are very slim. Although I am concerned about Alex, I am terrified of the emotional damage this will cause for Makaela. Please send prayers and good vibes for this broken young man and all of his family, especially Makaela.

Carol in NC

Prayers for your family.

Cheri NE Ohio
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,052 Member
    Options
    Carol prayers for your family.

We got our first snow we have to shovel. I just got the first three inches off because DH and DS needed to get out. I was going to drive DS but shoveling the driveway earned me a pass. I will be driving him tomorrow.

:heart: Margaret
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the prayers and good wishes, everyone. My mother called with an update around 10 p.m. and said that the doctors couldn't really do anything except put a drain in his head to help with the swelling of the brain. He is still in critical condition and, if he survives, will have a really long road of facial reconstruction surgeries. I will probably call my niece and see if I can talk to Makaela tonight. I plan just to tell her than I'm sorry that her daddy got hurt and that I love her and wish I was there to hug her. I can't do much else from here.

Sylvia - I'm so glad your "kill" was just a balloon. I actually had a mouse crawl up my body (on top of the covers) while I was in bed and six months pregnant. I flung the covers back and heard the thump when the mouse hit the wall on the other side of the room. My then husband was mad as fire because I woke him up! He was even madder when I made him get up and go look for the creature. I spent a lot of time standing on the couch wielding a broom that night because, evidently, I was the only one who could see the two little gray vermin running through my house. I had to laugh at myself for being the stereotype of jumping up on the couch and screeching Eeeeek!

I'm off to get some work done. I hope that everyone has a great day.

Carol in soggy NC
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Yep! Classical Stretch, it's new to me, so I think I will give it a try. Stay safe on the roads everybody in the stormy part of u.s.
    Karen from NY
  • Sunnygirl_2015
    Sunnygirl_2015 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Sending hugs and prayers to all. :) I seem to have wonderful happy and very sad memories running together in my mind colliding. This just makes me stop dead in my tracks till I can cope again. Frozen till the dread feelings pass. Ha ha. But,I'm going to pray that I have the strength to stay focused and keep moving forward with my to do list. This time of year is certainly like no other for me. I stocked the fridge with salad fixing and yogart, have fish and veggies for dinner so I can stay on track with my food plan. o:)

It's almost unbelievable to me that tomorrow is December 1st! This year just flew by. December will be gone in a blink....Seeing my girl pals on Saturday for holiday home tours. Made my hair appt for December 11, DS will be home from college on the 12th, boat parade of lights on the 13th, and DH holiday party is the 20th.

Best get showered and dressed for work. I feel tired already. Lol. Goal for this week is to get out of town boxes together and shipped. My gift shopping left is for family that lives local so that can wait till next week. Man I better write this down and organize it! Ho Ho Ho here we go!

<3 Rosie in So Cal
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Joyce, on Facebook there is a "garage sale" for our small town. Since it IS a small town, it is safe (membership is controlled). I have gotten many things for the girls from this, like an entire size 10-12 wardrobe of nearly new / new clothes for less than $1 apiece! Including coats! And not Walmart/Target but nice stores! I like vintage things, especially furniture, since they are well made compared to the crap in the stores today.

On the topic of Christmas Eve services. My dad was an Episcopal priest. Our church had traditionally held both midnight mass and Christmas day services. So we had to coordinate our celebration around his work. We opened presents from family and friends on Christmas Eve, and Santa left just a stocking full of things on Christmas morning. I have continued this tradition since it downplayed the whole Santa thing. My kids knew who was buying their presents for them and could be appropriately thankful. Santa's offerings were more fruit and candy, batteries, and other small items. Another thing I did to minimize the whole consumerism of the holiday was to limit the gifts from me to three, just like Jesus got.

Terri, I have a lot of ornaments my kids made, but most of them went with them in their box of ornaments when they left home. I had made them each one ornament each year. So when they left home, they took memories of our family Christmas with them. Unfortunately, the daughter-in-laws do not appreciate hand made so they no longer use them, so now I wish I had just kept them. One year I made tiny, intricately detailed counted cross stitch houses in 3-d.
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Sylvia, thanks for the chuckle to start my day!
  • miakoda40
    miakoda40 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    My mouse story

One day when I was 12 a field mouse ran across my bedroom floor and I shrieked for my mom to come and get it out of my room. Once the mouse had been relocated my dad started teasing me about the fuss I had made. "I don't understand" he said. "You have a mouse for a pet so why were you so upset?" "I know Pippen" I replied. "That other mouse was a stranger."

Mia in MI
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,548 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    morning peeps -

made it to work, no fall and a car didn't hit me :0)

terririchard = nope, wasn't a girl scout :0)
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,116 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Good morning everybody! It's sounds like there's a lot of commotion going on with mice. I had company since Thursday and everything went really well. Even though I didn't really go overboard on eating I am so bloated from the food that I normally don't eat. It's amazing how your body does not like breads and sugars.

Carol - we are still praying for your DGN and family. My DD got kicked in the face by her horse and has had six surgeries so far. She will be having a bone graft on her upper and lower jaw for teeth implants on the 10th. Doctors can do wonders with reconstructive surgery. My DD looks great. She does have a scar running down the middle of her nose. But she is alive and very happy.

Sylvia - ROFLMAO!

Peach - I am sorry to hear about your aunt. I hope that you are able to get your battery and car fixed.

Margaret -no snow here yet! It is still sunny out. We are supposed to get 5 to 7 inches by tomorrow evening though.

Have a great day everyone!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    Good morning from snowy wet Nebraska. We have a lot of ice and now it is snowing. I am working 6-10 today. DH got home last evening about 1130 and said the only real bad roads he ran into was about 60 miles from home. Rest of the time just rain. I am just glad he is home. I got started on Christmas cards last evening and hoping to get them done in the next couple days. Chistmas cards are one of my favorite things this time of year. Hearing from people that we only hear from once a year.

Weigh in this morning and I am up 1.4 pounds and not going to let it upset me. With Thanksgiving in there I think I did well. Now back on track. One Day at a Time.

Heather--Hope all goes well with your trip. I am looking forward to hearing all about it, makes me feel like I am a part of it.

Janetr--Glad to hear you made it home safe and only have broken branches to deal with.

Mindz--Glad to see you back. Sounds like you handled all the last minute changes very well.

pip--Does sound like you are ready to ride. And very prepared.

Carol--How sad. Sending lots of prayers and hugs.

Carol GA--Sorry to hear about your aunt.

Sylvia--Thats funny. Thanks for starting my day with a smile.

Mia--I enjoyed your mouse story also.

Rosie--HUGS!! Just take it One Day, One Thing at a Time.

I need to vent. DH went in on Nov 20 to have his eye exam. It was time and a couple days earlier he started having problems with sun and on coming cars at night. It was like the light was shooting at him. The doctor told him it was more then likely his catacts. So they order new glasses and our co-pay was $422. Then when he gets home that night it is so bad he decides to try an older pair, and guess what no problems. So he takes the glasses back and tells them there has to be a problem with them and they were replaced in Aug so still under warrity. They said they would check them out and let him know. Then the following Monday they call and tell him the anti-glare stuff was breaking up. They would let him know how much they would discount the new ones. Now he paid the co-pay when he had his appointment. Wednesday they call him and tell him they will just replace the old ones. Ok why did we pay for the new ones if you are just going to replace the old ones. Why would he want or need a pair of the old ones. This morning I call and they tell me that is all they can do. So I just told them we will be finding a new eye doctor. Thanks for listening.

Well about time for my short shift to end. Going to go home and get busy. Have a good day ladies and know that I keep you all in my prayers.
    Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND, NE