Look what fast food & ice cream have done to my cholesterol

Options

Replies

• Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options

Those are the only two options.

All chicken meat is either organic, free-range meat or it's what you see in the picture above.

By the way, all chicken meat is hormone-free. It's illegal to use hormones in poultry and swine.

I'm glad you took the time to drop into my Success Stories thread to post some lies about McDonald's, just to insult and run off when your information is proven incorrect.

I never ONCE said you were not correct about the hormones in chicken or swine. Not once.
  • BigBrunette
    BigBrunette Posts: 1,543 Member
    Options
    This thread makes me not want to post a success story ever.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

Well it is junk food in many cases. Fast food from a large corporation is junk. The majority of fast food chains support factory farming. The only one I can think of that does not is Chipotle.

Fast food from a small family owned restaurant that's supporting the local economy and the local food economy (see my Bob's Clam Hut example) is not actually junk food. It's fast food made with love, local ingredients, and cholesterol free oil.

An Applebee's microwaving my pasta is serving me junk food that arrives on a truck and is not actually cooked. It's just microwaved in a plastic bag. Not made with love. Not made by a 3rd generation business.

Not saying my way is better...but I sure am saying that when I'm at a picnic table enjoying my fried food takeout from a small family business that's fast food that sure as heck is delicious and supports a small business. My fast food is superior.

IHOP is not even a real breakfast out...I had a tasty homecooked breakfast for $8 this past weekend. Heck, they even made their own corned beef hash. Felt awesome and went for a walk on the beach afterwards. Cheap, homemade, and fast.

1. Love: Where does that fit into my macros? Cholesterol free oil: There's nothing wrong with dietary cholesterol (excepting special medical cases).

2. Since when do microwaves NOT cook food? And there's no love in microwave cooking?

3. No, you're saying your way is made with love and love is all you need. It doesn't matter if the nutritional content of my burger made at home with love is identical from the burger from McDonalds. Unless your love is adding a little extra protein? Your fast food is only superior within your mind.

4. If I'm ending my fast with food, it is a real breakfast no matter where I eat it, who made it or how much love they did or did not add while cooking it. If I ate it, it broke my fast and is thus a real breakfast. If you hadn't taken that walk on a beach but on a treadmill, would it then have not been a really walk? Because you know, that treadmill wasn't made with love.

I don't see Love in the MFP database. Too bad, my one and only rule for what I can and can't eat is: Can't eat it if I can't log it.

You guys are just talking silly talk.

I microwave my lunch daily. Of course it is just food.

And obviously the OP does not know it all because he said it's illegal to use antibiotics when raising commercial chicken. And it's not.

Walking on the treadmill or the beach is still walking.

You can't log "made with love" but I'm guessing my takeout has more "love" than yours.

I don't care if it has more love (dumbest food requirement ever when discussing food on a nutrition/fitness site). I only care about if it tastes better or not. If yours tastes better (according to my taste preferences and not yours), then I'll eat it. If it doesn't, I'll stick to my evil, corporate, soulless food.

Oh and the microwave comment, I didn't say you said it wasn't food any longer. You said it wasn't cooked by the microwave while in fact, microwaves most certainly do cook food.

And I never mentioned the OP. I was responding to you and your bizarre claims alone.

Don't name call or say that things I've written are DUMB. That's against forum rules.

Just having a friendly discussion.

I like my food made with love. If it's a 3rd generation family cooking food for strangers (in a family owned restaurant) I'm happy to support them. It's just an expression. I'm sorry that you think I'm dumb or that my words are dumb.

If I make something for my parents (who live really far away) you can bet your bottom it's made with love.

I'm sorry if you think the expression is "dumb".

Reading comprehension. I never said you were dumb so no name calling ever took place. You're being a bit hypocritical.
    You are one strange person, OP.

It seems the name calling is firmly in your court.

And what's the difference between you calling people's rebuttals silly talk and my thinking some of your ideas are dumb?

It's the same thing. Don't cry foul when you are doing the exact same thing.

In summation, you wrote:
    Don't name call or say that things I've written are DUMB. That's against forum rules.

I'll say:

Don't name call or say that things I've written are SILLY. That's against forum rules. Oh, wait, I don't mean that because I'm not hypocritical.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    Also, it's not lies.

A McDonald's Chicken McNugget is 56% corn. Read the book and decide on your own what is real and what is not. http://amzn.com/0143038583

"The ingredients listed in the flyer suggest a lot of thought goes into a nugget, that and a lot of corn. Of the thirty-eight ingredients it takes to make a McNugget, I counted thirteen that can be derived from corn: the corn-fed chicken itself; modified cornstarch (to bind the pulverized chicken meat); mono-, tri-, and diglycerides (emulsifiers, which keep the fats and water from separating); dextrose; lecithin (another emulsifier); chicken broth (to restore some of the flavor that processing leeches out); yellow corn flour and more modified cornstarch (for the batter); cornstarch (a filler); vegetable shortening; partially hydrogenated corn oil; and citric acid as a preservative. A couple of other plants take part in the nugget: There's some wheat in the batter, and on any given day the hydrogenated oil could come from soybeans, canola, or cotton rather than corn, depending on the market price and availability.

According to the handout, McNuggets also contain several completely synthetic ingredients, quasiedible substances that ultimately come not from a corn or soybean field but form a petroleum refinery or chemical plant. These chemicals are what make modern processed food possible, by keeping the organic materials in them from going bad or looking strange after months in the freezer or on the road. Listed first are the "leavening agents": sodium aluminum phosphate, mono-calcium phosphate, sodium acid pyrophosphate, and calcium lactate. These are antioxidants added to keep the various animal and vegetable fats involved in a nugget from turning rancid. Then there are "anti-foaming agents" like dimethylpolysiloxene, added to the cooking oil to keep the starches from binding to air molecules, so as to produce foam during the fry. The problem is evidently grave enough to warrant adding a toxic chemical to the food: According to the Handbook of Food Additives, dimethylpolysiloxene is a suspected carcinogen and an established mutagen, tumorigen, and reproductive effector; it's also flammable.

But perhaps the most alarming ingredient in a Chicken McNugget is tertiary butylhydroquinone, or TBHQ, an antioxidant derived from petroleum that is either sprayed directly on the nugget or the inside of the box it comes in to "help preserve freshness." According to A Consumer's Dictionary of Food Additives, TBHQ is a form of butane (i.e. lighter fluid) the FDA allows processors to use sparingly in our food: It can comprise no more than 0.02 percent of the oil in a nugget. Which is probably just as well, considering that ingesting a single gram of TBHQ can cause "nausea, vomiting, ringing in the ears, delirium, a sense of suffocation, and collapse." Ingesting five grams of TBHQ can kill."
  • JewelsinBigD
    JewelsinBigD Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU FOR THIS! So glad that I don't have to be "perfect" to obtain awesome results!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

All chicken meat is either organic, free-range meat or it's what you see in the picture above.

By the way, all chicken meat is hormone-free. It's illegal to use hormones in poultry and swine.

I'm glad you took the time to drop into my Success Stories thread to post some lies about McDonald's, just to insult and run off when your information is proven incorrect.

I never ONCE said you were not correct about the hormones in chicken or swine. Not once.

The post you are responding to wasn't even addressed to you. I have no idea why you're still posting here. Your input is not welcome on my success story.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    And just because you are really set on saying it's lies I went on the McDonald's website today 6/25/13 at 3:39pm EST.

Here you go:

Ingredients: White Boneless Chicken, Water, Food Starch-Modified, Salt, Seasoning (Autolyzed Yeast Extract, Salt, Wheat Starch, Natural Flavoring [Botanical Source], Safflower Oil, Dextrose, Citric Acid), Sodium Phosphates, Natural Flavor (Botanical Source). Battered and Breaded with: Water, Enriched Flour (Bleached Wheat Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Yellow Corn Flour, Bleached Wheat Flour, Food Starch-Modified, Salt, Leavening (Baking Soda, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Sodium Aluminum Phosphate, Monocalcium Phosphate, Calcium Lactate), Spices, Wheat Starch, Dextrose, Corn Starch.

CONTAINS: WHEAT

Prepared in Vegetable Oil (Canola Oil, Corn Oil, Soybean Oil, Hydrogenated Soybean Oil with TBHQ and Citric Acid added to preserve freshness).
    Dimethylpolysiloxane added as an antifoaming agent.Prepared in vegetable oil (Canola oil, corn oil, soybean oil, hydrogenated soybean oil with TBHQ and citric acid added to preserve freshness). Dimethylpolysiloxane added as an antifoaming agent.
  • AmIhealthyyet
    AmIhealthyyet Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I guess I am caught off guard at how rude a couple of people have been in response to this 'success story'. Please make a post of your own on the message boards and 'save' someone else. Oh and I eat at McDonalds in our town! The franchise is owned by a woman who continues, through the years, to give much more back to our town then just about another business here.

I've only been defensive because the OP and others have jumped on me and said my words were stupid.

Not jumping on the OP because of his diet choices.

He has just written various things that he says are facts when in fact they are not true (the chicken nugget example, the chicken antibiotic example).

You are right that large corporations do have entire departments for Social Responsibility (McDonald's being one, Target being another). This is not a bad thing. In fact, they do it because they have stockholders. Helping the community is great--that's not what I was talking about.

I was referring to a local small family owned business that gets most of their food from local producers (I used the seafood example). It helps businesses all the way up the chain.

Social Responsibility is important, I agree. That's not what I was talking about though. I was talking about food that's not factory farmed. Last time I checked Chiptole is the only fast food restaurant that supports small family farms.

I guess like most things it comes down to moderation. I eat McDonalds, I also buy meat/produce at our local groccery store that buys from farmers in our area as often as possible. I live in a small town of 10,000 people. It is Just a 10 minute drive to Madsion, WI which is closer to 300,000. I support local business here when ever possible but realize that even the chain stores out here are supporting and employing us and and our families. So while the Taco Bell and McDonalds may support large factory farms they are also supporting our community by providing jobs and giving back socially.
  • Onesnap
    Options

The post you are responding to wasn't even addressed to you. I have no idea why you're still posting here. Your input is not welcome on my success story.

And you said chicken nuggets are actually made of chicken. You said I lied. They are made of more corn than chicken.

I'm not dissing your food choices or anything. I'm not dissing your success story.

I'm just defending myself from YOU, a stranger that is harassing me on the Internet and saying I'm lying. The nuggets are not pure chicken.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    And you said chicken nuggets are actually made of chicken. You said I lied. They are made of more corn than chicken.

I'm not dissing your food choices or anything. I'm not dissing your success story.

I'm just defending myself from YOU, a stranger that is harassing me on the Internet and saying I'm lying. The nuggets are not pure chicken.

You are trolling my thread by continually harassing me.

Please, please stop. I have repeatedly asked you to stop.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Nevermind.

Nice job OP. I also eat fast food often. :flowerforyou:
  • elvensnow
    elvensnow Posts: 154 Member
    Options

I'm somewhat afraid to jump into this post because of the responses... but I just wanted to bite on this one.

Did you ever consider the reason that McNuggets ingredients are about half corn/wheat is... I dunno... because they are covered with bread/cornmeal? That might have something to do with it... maybe. (Have you ever looked in the middle? There is very little meat in there...).

Grats to the OP. I don't care what you eat as long as you're healthy and happy doing it.
  • MissSaturday
    MissSaturday Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Quite a change! heheehehe
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    According to A Consumer's Dictionary of Food Additives, TBHQ is a form of butane (i.e. lighter fluid) the FDA allows processors to use sparingly in our food: It can comprise no more than 0.02 percent of the oil in a nugget. Which is probably just as well, considering that ingesting a single gram of TBHQ can cause "nausea, vomiting, ringing in the ears, delirium, a sense of suffocation, and collapse." Ingesting five grams of TBHQ can kill."

cooking oil's density is about 930g/L. at 0.02% (assuming maximum inclusion in the oil) that's 0.186g TBHQ/liter of cooking oil. Ain't nobody coming close to that, but TBHQ obviously would have adverse health effects below 1g threshold if what you say is true.
  • Onesnap
    Options

Well it is junk food in many cases. Fast food from a large corporation is junk. The majority of fast food chains support factory farming. The only one I can think of that does not is Chipotle.

Fast food from a small family owned restaurant that's supporting the local economy and the local food economy (see my Bob's Clam Hut example) is not actually junk food. It's fast food made with love, local ingredients, and cholesterol free oil.

An Applebee's microwaving my pasta is serving me junk food that arrives on a truck and is not actually cooked. It's just microwaved in a plastic bag. Not made with love. Not made by a 3rd generation business.

Not saying my way is better...but I sure am saying that when I'm at a picnic table enjoying my fried food takeout from a small family business that's fast food that sure as heck is delicious and supports a small business. My fast food is superior.

IHOP is not even a real breakfast out...I had a tasty homecooked breakfast for $8 this past weekend. Heck, they even made their own corned beef hash. Felt awesome and went for a walk on the beach afterwards. Cheap, homemade, and fast.

1. Love: Where does that fit into my macros? Cholesterol free oil: There's nothing wrong with dietary cholesterol (excepting special medical cases).

2. Since when do microwaves NOT cook food? And there's no love in microwave cooking?

3. No, you're saying your way is made with love and love is all you need. It doesn't matter if the nutritional content of my burger made at home with love is identical from the burger from McDonalds. Unless your love is adding a little extra protein? Your fast food is only superior within your mind.

4. If I'm ending my fast with food, it is a real breakfast no matter where I eat it, who made it or how much love they did or did not add while cooking it. If I ate it, it broke my fast and is thus a real breakfast. If you hadn't taken that walk on a beach but on a treadmill, would it then have not been a really walk? Because you know, that treadmill wasn't made with love.

I don't see Love in the MFP database. Too bad, my one and only rule for what I can and can't eat is: Can't eat it if I can't log it.

I microwave my lunch daily. Of course it is just food.

And obviously the OP does not know it all because he said it's illegal to use antibiotics when raising commercial chicken. And it's not.

Walking on the treadmill or the beach is still walking.

You can't log "made with love" but I'm guessing my takeout has more "love" than yours.

I don't care if it has more love (dumbest food requirement ever when discussing food on a nutrition/fitness site). I only care about if it tastes better or not. If yours tastes better (according to my taste preferences and not yours), then I'll eat it. If it doesn't, I'll stick to my evil, corporate, soulless food.

Oh and the microwave comment, I didn't say you said it wasn't food any longer. You said it wasn't cooked by the microwave while in fact, microwaves most certainly do cook food.

And I never mentioned the OP. I was responding to you and your bizarre claims alone.

Just having a friendly discussion.

I like my food made with love. If it's a 3rd generation family cooking food for strangers (in a family owned restaurant) I'm happy to support them. It's just an expression. I'm sorry that you think I'm dumb or that my words are dumb.

If I make something for my parents (who live really far away) you can bet your bottom it's made with love.

I'm sorry if you think the expression is "dumb".

Reading comprehension. I never said you were dumb so no name calling ever took place. You're being a bit hypocritical.
    You are one strange person, OP.

It seems the name calling is firmly in your court.

And what's the difference between you calling people's rebuttals silly talk and my thinking some of your ideas are dumb?

It's the same thing. Don't cry foul when you are doing the exact same thing.

In summation, you wrote:

I'll say:

Don't name call or say that things I've written are SILLY. That's against forum rules. Oh, wait, I don't mean that because I'm not hypocritical.

You actually accused me of posting mis information, lies, and speaking propaganda. None of that is true. I backed up my claims with as much evidence as I thought necessary.

The "silly talk" comment was me, yet again, defending myself because someone said that they cannot log LOVE on MFP.

I called you a strange person only after you said horrible mean things to me. I know defending myself is against forum rules, I also know that it's against forum rules to defend a friend on the forums.

Let's just stop this. It's a waste of time.

I never insulted you. I only defended myself. Which is against forum rules. You accused me of lying and spreading lies, which is also against forum rules.
  • smn76237
    smn76237 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    This thread has been fun. Some posters...I wonder how they function in the real world. Also, some people should read this snopes article about the "pink slime chicken" picture.
    http://www.snopes.com/food/prepare/msm.asp
    "Although McDonald's chicken McNugget are typically offered as an example of a popular MSP-based food, since 2003 that product has been made with all white meat rather than MSP."

Good job on your successes, OP. I think some people here would be happier if they would just eat some chicken nuggets with honey mustard and relaxed a little.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    You absolutely deserve congratulations for your success story. It is just rare to find anyone that doesn’t recognize that fast food is generally unhealthy garbage. I really hope that you are just being facetious
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Congrats on finding what works for you and improving your health :)

Did you really have to shave and put the towel so low though?! I just couldnt look elsewhere
  • shaleyn
    shaleyn Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    You absolutely deserve congratulations for your success story. It is just rare to find anyone that doesn’t recognize that fast food is generally unhealthy garbage. I really hope that you are just being facetious

Oh good, I was feeling kinda down, now I feel lots better... thanks for the lolz.
  • Onesnap
    Options

You are trolling my thread by continually harassing me.

Please, please stop. I have repeatedly asked you to stop.

You should apologize for saying that I've spread lies on your forum post. I have not. You should apologize for telling me that I've been irrational. I have not.

I've provided helpful suggestions how you can get your fast food at a non-chain. I'm sorry if you took it the wrong way or thought my posts were not making sense. It's hard to have a discussion on here sometimes, because past points on posts get easily lost.

Sorry that I may have offended you. Sorry that you took everything I posted the wrong way. I was only trying to help.

So there, that's my apology in writing.

I'll leave it up to you if you want to apologize or not. I'm actually a good honest person but you're just a stranger on the Internet so you would not actually know that. I would never accuse someone on MFP of "spreading lies." That was actually quite rude.
This discussion has been closed.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!