Look what fast food & ice cream have done to my cholesterol

Options

Replies

• Bridgetthegre
    Bridgetthegre Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! I have a long way to go, but it definitely confirms that it's doable by eating what I like, in moderation. I tried half a dozen new 'healthy' recipes the first week or two. Either my taste buds are just unique, or the people who made these up hadn't eaten anything that tastes good in a loooong time, but all I could think was that I was never going to lose any weight if I had to eat #### like that because I'd just flat out and DIE from hunger. I am trying to eat some healthier things. I am trying to get in a few more vegetables. But I've taken heart from your post, and the nutrition professor from Kansas State who lost 27 pounds in two months eating TWINKIES, and I'm subscribing to the cult of .... moderation.

Again, congratulations and thanks for the success story!
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    Awesome work, Jon. I am not kidding even a little bit when I say that you are the reason I took the "clean food" stick out of my *kitten* and started eating things I like.

I love this! And I love this thread. Nice work, man! :bigsmile:
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

Well it is junk food in many cases. Fast food from a large corporation is junk. The majority of fast food chains support factory farming. The only one I can think of that does not is Chipotle.

Fast food from a small family owned restaurant that's supporting the local economy and the local food economy (see my Bob's Clam Hut example) is not actually junk food. It's fast food made with love, local ingredients, and cholesterol free oil.

An Applebee's microwaving my pasta is serving me junk food that arrives on a truck and is not actually cooked. It's just microwaved in a plastic bag. Not made with love. Not made by a 3rd generation business.

Not saying my way is better...but I sure am saying that when I'm at a picnic table enjoying my fried food takeout from a small family business that's fast food that sure as heck is delicious and supports a small business. My fast food is superior.

IHOP is not even a real breakfast out...I had a tasty homecooked breakfast for $8 this past weekend. Heck, they even made their own corned beef hash. Felt awesome and went for a walk on the beach afterwards. Cheap, homemade, and fast.

1. Love: Where does that fit into my macros? Cholesterol free oil: There's nothing wrong with dietary cholesterol (excepting special medical cases).

2. Since when do microwaves NOT cook food? And there's no love in microwave cooking?

3. No, you're saying your way is made with love and love is all you need. It doesn't matter if the nutritional content of my burger made at home with love is identical from the burger from McDonalds. Unless your love is adding a little extra protein? Your fast food is only superior within your mind.

4. If I'm ending my fast with food, it is a real breakfast no matter where I eat it, who made it or how much love they did or did not add while cooking it. If I ate it, it broke my fast and is thus a real breakfast. If you hadn't taken that walk on a beach but on a treadmill, would it then have not been a really walk? Because you know, that treadmill wasn't made with love.

I don't see Love in the MFP database. Too bad, my one and only rule for what I can and can't eat is: Can't eat it if I can't log it.

You guys are just talking silly talk.

I microwave my lunch daily. Of course it is just food.

And obviously the OP does not know it all because he said it's illegal to use antibiotics when raising commercial chicken. And it's not.

Walking on the treadmill or the beach is still walking.

You can't log "made with love" but I'm guessing my takeout has more "love" than yours.

I don't care if it has more love (dumbest food requirement ever when discussing food on a nutrition/fitness site). I only care about if it tastes better or not. If yours tastes better (according to my taste preferences and not yours), then I'll eat it. If it doesn't, I'll stick to my evil, corporate, soulless food.

Oh and the microwave comment, I didn't say you said it wasn't food any longer. You said it wasn't cooked by the microwave while in fact, microwaves most certainly do cook food.

And I never mentioned the OP. I was responding to you and your bizarre claims alone.

Don't name call or say that things I've written are DUMB. That's against forum rules.

Just having a friendly discussion.

I like my food made with love. If it's a 3rd generation family cooking food for strangers (in a family owned restaurant) I'm happy to support them. It's just an expression. I'm sorry that you think I'm dumb or that my words are dumb.

If I make something for my parents (who live really far away) you can bet your bottom it's made with love.

I'm sorry if you think the expression is "dumb".

Reading comprehension. I never said you were dumb so no name calling ever took place. You're being a bit hypocritical.
    You are one strange person, OP.

It seems the name calling is firmly in your court.

And what's the difference between you calling people's rebuttals silly talk and my thinking some of your ideas are dumb?

It's the same thing. Don't cry foul when you are doing the exact same thing.

In summation, you wrote:
    Don't name call or say that things I've written are DUMB. That's against forum rules.

I'll say:

Don't name call or say that things I've written are SILLY. That's against forum rules. Oh, wait, I don't mean that because I'm not hypocritical.

You actually accused me of posting mis information, lies, and speaking propaganda. None of that is true. I backed up my claims with as much evidence as I thought necessary.

The "silly talk" comment was me, yet again, defending myself because someone said that they cannot log LOVE on MFP.

I called you a strange person only after you said horrible mean things to me. I know defending myself is against forum rules, I also know that it's against forum rules to defend a friend on the forums.

Let's just stop this. It's a waste of time.

I never insulted you. I only defended myself. Which is against forum rules. You accused me of lying and spreading lies, which is also against forum rules.
    I didn't accuse you of those things. That would be a different poster. Sheesh.

You didn't call me a strange person, you called the OP a strange person.

I never insulted you either so you never needed to defend yourself against me. I never accused you of lying or spreading lies, I just said that your idea of love being an important ingredient in food was dumb. That is not against forum rules.

brower47 (me) =/= OP Please look at the avatar before responding.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who got down to the photo's and thought "Dang, abs!!!" and had to wipe the drool from her face?
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Fools! If one more person chooses to beat jonny down for doing well, I WILL follow you until you're gone.
    Jonny, I have crowns for you and your woman, will send soon.
  • roobe18
    roobe18 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    There was a story on NPR several months ago about a university professer that did a similar experiment. He ate a calorie controlled diet of twinkies, fast food, and the like. He ended up with the same results (weight loss, improved blood work, etc) and the take away was bottom line, it's calories vs calories out. He did add a caveat that he didn't have sufficient data to support what this type of diet would do to a body long term. But then again, no one does.

IMHO, it just comes down to moderation like everything else. Do I think there might be some long term consequences if I ate a McDonalds for 3 meals a day, every day? Yeah, I do. But when I'm in a mood for a big mac, I'm going to have a big mac and not feel bad about it. I'll even have some "supposedly" all corn chicken nuggets... cause some times they're the only thing that will do ;)

Oh, and don't even get me started on the "clean" eating thing. There's a difference between "clean" and "healthy". You can eat healty without it necessarily being "clean". If it works for you, great. But I'm not about to eat organic rabit stuff and put that much stress in my life. There's too much stuff going on in my life to worry about the circumstances of how my apple came into existence.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options

Well it is junk food in many cases. Fast food from a large corporation is junk. The majority of fast food chains support factory farming. The only one I can think of that does not is Chipotle.

Fast food from a small family owned restaurant that's supporting the local economy and the local food economy (see my Bob's Clam Hut example) is not actually junk food. It's fast food made with love, local ingredients, and cholesterol free oil.

An Applebee's microwaving my pasta is serving me junk food that arrives on a truck and is not actually cooked. It's just microwaved in a plastic bag. Not made with love. Not made by a 3rd generation business.

Not saying my way is better...but I sure am saying that when I'm at a picnic table enjoying my fried food takeout from a small family business that's fast food that sure as heck is delicious and supports a small business. My fast food is superior.

IHOP is not even a real breakfast out...I had a tasty homecooked breakfast for $8 this past weekend. Heck, they even made their own corned beef hash. Felt awesome and went for a walk on the beach afterwards. Cheap, homemade, and fast.

1. Love: Where does that fit into my macros? Cholesterol free oil: There's nothing wrong with dietary cholesterol (excepting special medical cases).

2. Since when do microwaves NOT cook food? And there's no love in microwave cooking?

3. No, you're saying your way is made with love and love is all you need. It doesn't matter if the nutritional content of my burger made at home with love is identical from the burger from McDonalds. Unless your love is adding a little extra protein? Your fast food is only superior within your mind.

4. If I'm ending my fast with food, it is a real breakfast no matter where I eat it, who made it or how much love they did or did not add while cooking it. If I ate it, it broke my fast and is thus a real breakfast. If you hadn't taken that walk on a beach but on a treadmill, would it then have not been a really walk? Because you know, that treadmill wasn't made with love.

I don't see Love in the MFP database. Too bad, my one and only rule for what I can and can't eat is: Can't eat it if I can't log it.

I microwave my lunch daily. Of course it is just food.

And obviously the OP does not know it all because he said it's illegal to use antibiotics when raising commercial chicken. And it's not.

Walking on the treadmill or the beach is still walking.

You can't log "made with love" but I'm guessing my takeout has more "love" than yours.

I don't care if it has more love (dumbest food requirement ever when discussing food on a nutrition/fitness site). I only care about if it tastes better or not. If yours tastes better (according to my taste preferences and not yours), then I'll eat it. If it doesn't, I'll stick to my evil, corporate, soulless food.

Oh and the microwave comment, I didn't say you said it wasn't food any longer. You said it wasn't cooked by the microwave while in fact, microwaves most certainly do cook food.

And I never mentioned the OP. I was responding to you and your bizarre claims alone.

Just having a friendly discussion.

I like my food made with love. If it's a 3rd generation family cooking food for strangers (in a family owned restaurant) I'm happy to support them. It's just an expression. I'm sorry that you think I'm dumb or that my words are dumb.

If I make something for my parents (who live really far away) you can bet your bottom it's made with love.

I'm sorry if you think the expression is "dumb".

Reading comprehension. I never said you were dumb so no name calling ever took place. You're being a bit hypocritical.
    You are one strange person, OP.

It seems the name calling is firmly in your court.

And what's the difference between you calling people's rebuttals silly talk and my thinking some of your ideas are dumb?

It's the same thing. Don't cry foul when you are doing the exact same thing.

In summation, you wrote:

I'll say:

Don't name call or say that things I've written are SILLY. That's against forum rules. Oh, wait, I don't mean that because I'm not hypocritical.

You actually accused me of posting mis information, lies, and speaking propaganda. None of that is true. I backed up my claims with as much evidence as I thought necessary.

The "silly talk" comment was me, yet again, defending myself because someone said that they cannot log LOVE on MFP.

I called you a strange person only after you said horrible mean things to me. I know defending myself is against forum rules, I also know that it's against forum rules to defend a friend on the forums.

Let's just stop this. It's a waste of time.

I never insulted you. I only defended myself. Which is against forum rules. You accused me of lying and spreading lies, which is also against forum rules.
    I didn't accuse you of those things. That would be a different poster. Sheesh.

You didn't call me a strange person, you called the OP a strange person.

I never insulted you either so you never needed to defend yourself against me. I never accused you of lying or spreading lies, I just said that your idea of love being an important ingredient in food was dumb. That is not against forum rules.

brower47 (me) =/= OP Please look at the avatar before responding.

Ugh. This whole post is a complete waste of time. :: rubs chicken nuggets all over body and blissfully falls asleep ::
  • etoiles_argentees
    Options
    This thread IS in "success stories". Take your arguments elsewhere, or applaud what he has he has achieved... or say nothing.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    New favorite post.

I am currently trying out paleo because I genuniely enjoy eating that way (most of the time :wink:) but up until now I've never cut out "junk" food and reached all my fitness goals so far just fine.

You will never take my ice cream away from me. EVER.

And anyone who tells me differently is wrong :happy:

If you eat ice cream, you don't eat Paleo.

so hypothetically she could eat mostly "paleo' and eat 1-2 servings of ice cream once in a while. Why would it matter to anyone that that's "not paleo".

Oh, it matters (to some).

It most certainly matters (to some).

And in...

...to catch up on...

GREAT GOOGLY MOOGLY!! How many pages?

*sigh*

Okay, fine, I'll do my best...

...but no promises.
  • etoiles_argentees
    Options
    no promises jof? kiss!

success thread here, people. You want to fight about food or nutrition, message me. ;)
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Just dancing through the thread...seeing most of the "yay, you keep kicking it" from people whose tickers show amazing success...and complainers who have less than a proven track record.

Guess who I'm rooting for?

Well, mostly the towel to fall down, but whatever.

:)
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Just dancing through the thread...seeing most of the "yay, you keep kicking it" from people whose tickers show amazing success...and complainers who have less than a proven track record.

Don't judge by a current ticker. I lost 20 lbs using MFP in 2011. There's no way to show past tickers. No record of showing picking up a program and trying to lose more, or to maintain. There's some folks on here that have a 1lb or 2lb loss but actually their past ticker showed a huge loss.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options

BAHAHAHA!!! Love that last comment.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Hey, OP, save me the trouble of searching through your diary to check...

...but have you ever had The Melting Pot? It's a little pricey (for some) but a fairly awesome experience in my opinion.

Anyhow, if not, it's worth trying at least once.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Saw the doc yesterday for a physical and had a lipid panel done.

My first cholesterol results were from 2006, which was a few months after I lost 45 pounds doing mainly cardio and very large calorie deficits. I had gone from 205 to 160 lbs.
    Total = 230
    LDL = 171
    HDL = 42
    HDL/total ratio = 5.75

Had another panel done in 2008, after a couple years of more or less maintaining with relatively low levels of activity. I was 165 lbs then.
    Total = 204
    LDL = 141
    HDL = 46
    HDL/Total ratio = 4.43

Again in 2011, which was about 8 months after I started lifting (just as I was starting my first bulk). I was 160 lbs here. I hurt my back a few months after this and took about 18 months off lifting to fully recover.
    Total = 213
    LDL = 140
    HDL = 59
    HDL/Total ratio: 3.62

Today's results, which come after 5 months of lifting and going from 165 lbs to 148:
    Total = 188
    LDL = 104
    HDL = 68
    HDL/Total ratio: 2.69

My triglycerides have always been pretty low.

So those of you who have seen my posts (and ticker) know that I eat a lot of food that's not "clean." I go to McDonald's, Taco Bell, Subway, IHOP, etc, many times a week. I have ice cream almost every day. I eat a lot of frozen meals. Yet despite all this, my cholesterol has gone from pretty bad to ideal. Having a total cholesterol of 230 at 24 years old was not a good sign.

There's no secret or magic to this. I lift weights, I find fun ways to be active outside [I never 'do cardio' and I hate running], and I hit appropriate macro goals. That's all there is to it. I haven't filled my diet with "health foods" or "clean" food, I haven't even remotely cut out processed food. I haven't avoided sugar; in fact, I eat a ton of it. I average over 60 grams a day, I think. I haven't cut my sodium to low levels; I average around 4000 mg a day (and my blood pressure yesterday was 108/62).

I get 130+ grams of protein a day, 50+ grams of fat a day, 25+ grams of fiber a day, eat a few servings of veggies and fruits every day, and I exercise. That's it. This stuff isn't rocket science, and if your 'diet' forbids certain foods then you're doing it wrong (unless of course you have an actual medical condition such as celiac disease or hypertension).

I'm going to post this picture again. I'm thin and have a spare tire, but I'm improving every day. Behold the power of eating foods you enjoy.

Comparison-6-13_small.png

Well you are young, I would like to know if your numbers are still good 30- years from now if you keep eating that way. And by the way, my numbers are better than yours (no meds) and I am old enough to be your mother.

See what not visiting fast food places is doing for me?

By the way: congratulations on your new lab results.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Hey, OP, save me the trouble of searching through your diary to check...

...but have you ever had The Melting Pot? It's a little pricey (for some) but a fairly awesome experience in my opinion.

Anyhow, if not, it's worth trying at least once.

Love that place but haven't been there lately.
  • wwwdotcr
    wwwdotcr Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary, seems like vast majority of calories is not from fast food nor ice cream. So this whole thing is moot. No **** you can lose weight if only 500 calories come from fast food. Your diet is not even close to dirty. Also your TDEE seems to be higher then average, which allows you to cheat more.

Now if you want to do the tests again and do a 100% fast food junk diet and your cholesterol ends up lower, I would be quite impressed and convinced by your argument.
  • IrishHarpy1
    IrishHarpy1 Posts: 399 Member
    Options

Don't judge by a current ticker. I lost 20 lbs using MFP in 2011. There's no way to show past tickers. No record of showing picking up a program and trying to lose more, or to maintain. There's some folks on here that have a 1lb or 2lb loss but actually their past ticker showed a huge loss.

I'm 961 days in.... current ticker.... been successfully maintaining for almost 18 months.... while eating so called "junk food" on occasion. The OP should be commended for his ability to balance food that tastes good to him with nutrition while achieving some pretty darned good results.

And, BTW -- chains usually are owned by local franchises and employ local residents, not to mention are held to higher standards of safety and cleanliness. Take it from someone who lives in The Ocean State and has seen her share of the kitchens in "Mom & Pop" clam shacks and tourist-trap roadside diners. :wink:
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary, seems like vast majority of calories is not from fast food nor ice cream. So this whole thing is moot. No **** you can lose weight if only 500 calories come from fast food. Your diet is not even close to dirty. Also your TDEE seems to be higher then average, which allows you to cheat more.

Now if you want to do the tests again and do a 100% fast food junk diet and your cholesterol ends up lower, I would be quite impressed and convinced by your argument.

What argument, exactly?
  • Sassybmom
    Sassybmom Posts: 146 Member
    Options

Yes. Precisely. Very well done sir!
This discussion has been closed.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!