• janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Grits - sounds yummy

Janetr OKC
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday, ladies!!! I have some news to share that I hope will make you happy and provide some motivation for the newbies---just got back from the six month checkup at the doctor's office and we looked at my numbers. Today was the first day he said he was no longer recommending statins! Apparently I have increased the HDL and lowered the LDL just enough that I am no longer in the high risk zone. This was my main health goal of the year-- to lose enough weight and exercise enough that he would tell me I did not need those meds, so I am doing the happy dance. The icing on the cake was when he said I should be proud of myself for everything I did to improve my health this year.
    Still hoping I can lose an equal amount next year so I need to up the exercise and start losing again instead of maintaining.
    Thanks to all of you for being on this thread and helping to keep me motivated by all your stories and support. I wish I could hug all of you today! I hope I have provided some help to someone else at least once.
    :)<3:D
    Betty
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Janet, congrats on that weight loss. Keep up the good work.

Betty, so happy you have gotten good news about your health. I have taken statins for years now plus two different blood pressure meds.

Lenora, I remember my mom making oyster stew also. I liked the soup part but not the oysters. Now, I like smoked oysters and we sometimes have them for special snacks. Maybe if she had cooked them in butter first I would have liked them better.

Carol
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,729 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    We met longtime friends for lunch at a fish place in Portland. We haven't seen them for more than a year, and it was wonderful to share a meal and catch up on happenings. The husband has had four heart attacks since we last saw him & has had 9 stents put in. He's lost enough weight to be in the healthy zone, and looks like he is doing better. His wife is doing well despite having MS and worries about her husband. We spent several hours eating lunch and gabbing, and will try to get together again in March.

My current photo is our aluminum tree with the color wheel showing red. My parents used it in the 1960's when I was in junior high. DD says she had it for a while and used it several years back. That was a surprise to me.

PS: The glass balls on the tree now are the ones they used in the 1960s.

morning peeps and new peeps =

wowzers! that tree brings me back, we had one when we lived in the projects while on welfare!.. I used to sit and watch that thing for hours, I thought that was the coolest ever, better than the green fake or real trees! I remember, looking at our clothes closets and admiring something of one of my sisters and she would then wrap it and put it under the tree and I would get that for a gift. lololol. we had a parrot and I remember buying it some sunflower seeds and wrapping that for him and putting that under the tree. simple life when all of us used to talk to each other.

my speaker saved the day at spin class this morning. our instr. didn't show up (very unlike her) and a guy volunteered to get in front of the class and I used my speaker and music for him to teach to, it was a success!

type to ya later.

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,989 Member
    Options
    :)Betty, congrats on getting off of statins....you are very fortunate. My cholesterol issues are only partly related to health, they seem to be primarily related to heredity because the numbers were bad when I was 35 years old and weighed in the 120's and they were still bad after I gained weight and then lost weight to get back down to 125 which I've maintained for five years.

:)GRITS we decorate less and less each year, but we do light Hanukkah candles every night of the holiday and as much as I'd like our celebrations to be less about food, I make potato latkes several times during the holiday.

<3 Barbie from windy NW Washington
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    janetr - congratulations on your weight loss!

Betty - you deserve to do that happy dance! Awesome job!

Today is my rest day from SL5X5, so I did my kettle bell swing, single arm, 10 pound weight. Today I am going to go shopping to see if I can find a heavier weight kettle bell. Our remodel is on hold for the week because of choir concert, musical concert, basketball, taking care of DM IL and I have to take my DD into her surgery appointment Thursday morning. This is a very busy time of year! Have a great day everyone!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • miakoda40
    miakoda40 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Grits – My dad would make oyster stew for Christmas Eve. He would also make a small amount of oyster dressing to go with the turkey. Some years Dad and I were the only 2 eating the stew and the dressing, but we loved it and he always made it anyway. I haven’t had either since Dad died. Seems silly to make just for myself. There sure are some happy memories tied to oyster stew.

Betty – Woo Hoo!!! Wonderful news from your doctor visit.

Mia in MI

December goals:
    Continue to honestly log food every day
    Weigh and measure all food that I prepare at home
    Get at least 15 min per day of aerobic exercise
    64 oz. water (or what counts as water for my program) daily

• bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    Betty ... Congratulations!

Lenora ... Oyster stew was a tradition in my husband's family. I make it for him only in the months that have an "r" in them ...

Barbie ... Happy Hanukah! It seems food is a part of all celebrations. Enjoy your potato latkes! It's not the occasional treat that gives us problems ...

This day is not going well so far .... Younger son dealing with migraine. But husband and I took off work today and we're going to change our poor start to a great finish. We're on a mission to help out a needy family. Love, love, love playing Santa, but Not sure we can pull this onevoff financially (I'm the budget watcher and hubby is the generous one). I'm just going to surrender my worry and let hubby's faith lead the way!

Beth
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Beth - have fun shopping! I'm sure the family will appreciate it!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,369 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Had a really good day today!

We went on the train to Nimes. It is a Roman town with an intact arena (like a smaller Colosseum) , an intact temple, called the Maison Caree now, and an old Roman tower on the top of beautiful 18th century gardens. We visited all of them and watched a film about Roman times. I went up the tower and unfortunately had a severe attack of vertigo just before the top, really bad, so had to shuffle back down on my bottom! :noway: Haven't had such a bad one for 20 years. :'(
    Ate a nice salad lunch. :D
    I'm waiting for a photo to get through the ether from my phone of me and a statue of a matador. They use the arena in the summer for bullfighting, which is not my cup of tea. This matador killed himself two years after being gored in another arena.
    In Roman times it was gladiators and animal fights. Yuk! They used to throw prisoners to the animals!
    The train journey was easy so we might try a different venue another day. I'm always a bit apprehensive, but it all worked out fine. :)

Walked a lot so burnt off 643 calories. :D Climbed lots of stairs. Phew!

Tamara - welcome!

Betty - many congrats!

Beth - that sounds wonderful! :flowerforyou:

Katla - love your vintage tree. You seem to be having a really sociable time recently!

Love Heather
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Tamara: Welcome to a great group. Stop by daily for support and encouragement. :flowerforyou:

Grits: I am no oyster fan but DH loves them. I read him your recipe and he wondered whether you include the oyster "nectar" in your stew. I like fishermen's soup/stew but not oysters. DH loves oysters & oyster stew. He likes the fisherman's stew, too. :heart:

Pip: I'm glad the aluminum tree brought back some good memories. DH & I were just discussing the differences in our childhood Christmas traditions. The subject is on our minds because our children's lives are changing and our own traditions are in the process of being remade.

We have banking issues that DH will be attending to this morning. I am meeting a good friend from teaching days for lunch at a deli in NW Portland. I haven't seen her in over a year so we'll have lots to talk about.

Happy Hanukkah!

light-menorah.gif

christmas-tree-gifts.gif

Katla in very rainy NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

December Goals :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Heather - too bad about the vertigo. The rest of your day sounds like you had a lot of fun! Can't wait to see the pictures.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • cityjaneLondon
    Options
    OK, here I am outside the Arena. Next to the sad matador. I haven't got much sympathy. ;)
    I am squinting in the bright light, so look a bit weird. :o

c3kpjsrwujj2.jpg

Love Heather, today in Nimes.
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Heather, you look great!

I came to the studio this morning full of good intentions. I was going to be a whirlwind of cleaning and organizing. But so far, it hasn't happened. Two other artist friends and I are working on setting up a coop gallery, and we finally decided on a name only to find that the domain name was $2,288.00 per year! Ouch! Who can afford that! It was available for 99 cents on Friday, and today it's more than two thousand dollars!?! I figure that there is a sneaky way that those companies look to see what domains people are searching for and then they buy up those names before regular people can, just so they can sell them at a huge profit. So, anyway, we changed it a little and put in a hyphen so we could get it at the 99 cent price. So, there was a lot of back and forth messaging about that this morning and that's about all I got done.

I've cleaned up a nice space for my new studio partner, and now the mess is all on my side, so I'm going to start pitching out anything that I have not used in 5 years or more. So far I've got one big bag filled with junk, but there is still a lot more to go. I have a bad habit of buying a tool, losing it in the mess and then buying another one, so there are a lot of duplicates in strange places. Getting organized is my big goal. He's moving in next weekend, so I want things to be nice.

Now my tummy is growling so it must be lunch time. Hubby will be here soon.

Have a great day everybody!

Sylvia
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,097 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    What page is Katla's tree on? I've gone through 8 - 14 and can't find it! ;)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,729 Member
    Options
  • miakoda40
    miakoda40 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Peach - the tree is Katla's profile picture
  • cityjaneLondon
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Peach - it's her profile pic. <3
    By the way I'm not in Paris, I'm in Montpellier.

We were watching French tv this evening and they are very exercised by the local election results - first round. The FN, a very right wing party has done well in some areas, but often the second round sees them off. Lots of coverage. I watch FRANCE 3 for the news, but don't understand a lot. They speak very fast. :ohwell: But even having it on as background noise helps my French.

One very good thing about France is that you are not expected to leave a tip in a restaurant or café. The waiters automatically get 10% of the order. Makes eating out a whole less stressful. Wish we had that in England. :*

Had veal escalope for dinner with baby turnips and flageolet beans. I bought some beautiful dried herbs from the market which perfumed the whole thing. Wasn't feeling massively like cooking, but so glad I managed it. :D The great advantage of renting an apartment is that you don't have to spend silly money on eating out, which is never as good as home cooked food or, if it is, costs a fortune! In France it doesn't have to be a chore as there are any number of prepared foods you can buy from the market, or foods that are easy to cook. You could eat like a king just by buying pre made goodies, but I do a bit of cooking because DH prefers it. He does all the washing up and kitchen clearing so I think I have the best of the bargain. Plus he goes out before breakfast to buy bread. <3

Love Heather in the deep southwest of France.