WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2015

Options

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,372 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    One of the tours we are going on next Saturday includes the Jewish Mikve baths (sp?) from the mediaeval period, which are just down the street. Really looking forward to it. Happy Hanukkah!
    I always try to do something Jewish when I'm away. Visit a synagogue etc. When I was young we had a Jewish lodger called "Aunty Blossom" who adopted us as her family. I learnt such a lot from her. <3 I could even speak Yiddish!
    Shalom.
    Heather
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Happy Hanukkah!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Barbie, thanks for sharing your beautiful decorations. The cross stitching is beautiful. There is a lot of work in that. I used to love to cross stitch, I haven't done it for years.

Janetr OKC
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Michele, are you making pierogi? My all time favorite food! They are like Polish ravioli for the uninitiated. The filling is usually potatoes and farmers cheese or occasionally cheddar, but you can use sauerkraut or even fruit, such as blueberries or plums. They are boiled and can also be sautéed after, the vegetable and dairy ones are often served with sautéed onions and sour cream.
    Barbie I am curious about what kind of intensive treatment you used for the psoriasis. That disease runs in my family and I would love to know something that works!
    Beth, I also love teacups! I am trying to resist the urge to get more because I have no place left to store them.
    Did not do any formal exercise this weekend but the garage is a whole lot cleaner. What a job!
    Happy Hannukah!
    Betty
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,733 Member
    Options
    7eddjq31b3gf.jpeg

purdy lady
  • Elaine352962
    Elaine352962 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Thank you Pip.
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Happy Hanukkah to all our peeps out there!!

mtowne - it is bullwinkle (oldest one now, 10-1/2) that has the boo boo. she's had it and the doc said as long as it's not hurting her or getting in the way of important organs it was ok to leave alone. i knew it was going to get in the way and big enough at some point to address, well the time has come

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,397 Member
    Options
    Did 43 minutes of the DVD "Abs by Gilad". The plan for tomorrow is to do one segment of the Butt Lift DVD, hold my plank, then take the extremepump class.

Vince and I just finished making the pierogi for Christmas Eve. We made 64. I am trying to cut back. Anyway....for the first time EVER not a single one broke.

Becca - I'm so glad you and your sister talked! What a nice idea of the advent calendar.

Mary - The cake I made last night I baked for about 40 minutes. The top was starting to get really brown, but I thought the center should have been baked longer. There wasn't a whole lot, and I could just cut out the portion that I thought should have been baked extra long and give them some of the cake to sample (the rest is going to the soup kitchen). You amaze me with all you do

Gloria - you have something planned for Miriam, don't you? Can't wait to find out what it is.

Alison - I remember you mentioning icing your heel, but you haven't mentioned it in a while. Why did you have to ice it?

Karen - I agree, sometimes it's just too much recording of child's concerts. On one hand, you really do want a record of it for the future. But on the other hand, if you are constantly recording, you can't enjoy the program.

Miriam - you say your 11yo is embarassed by your moving your body. Well....tell her what I did. Denise likes to go shopping (and spending my money). I wanted to get her out of the store. So...."Felice Navidad" came over the loudspeaker in the store. And I started to dance to it -- in the store. Boy, did she ever get out of that store licket-split. At least you're not dancing in public!

Lillian - of course carrot sticks are Christmas food! Just ask Rudolph!

katla - I wonder if there's an aluminum tree for sale on ebay? That would be something so cool to have. Vince is talking about wanting another tree. Update: I mentioned this to Vince and he said he was surprised that I would suggest something like this. Personally, I think it would be cool. I just don't want a really skimpy one.

DJ - a pierogi is basically a Polish ravioli. It is fried in butter (shutter). Some people also fry onions with it. It can be topped with sour cream, some use applesauce (maybe that's some German influence?). But they are GOOODDDD. I only make them once/yr. You can buy them made, but I personally don't think they're as good. They used to sell farmer's cheese down here but stopped. I think it was probably because people didn't know what to do with it. I can get it up by Jess so when we go up there at Thanksgiving, that's when I buy it. I've gotten to the point where I don't mind if the tree goes up early, but I do want it down shortly after Christmas. I just want things back to normal.

Happy Hannukah to everyone who celebrates it

Betty - I just put cheese in mine, mainly because that's all the family will eat. I like the ones with mushrooms, but I'm the only one who would eat them. My grandmother (babci) used to make them with prunes, too.

Michele in NC
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Michele - usually the cake raises in the middle the outside will brown a little. Then freeze the cake and cut the top off flat and frost. My DH said, remember you can trim the edges a little if you need to with a very very sharp knife. If you notice most cakes are flat on top that is the reason why.

Elaine - I love your Mom's beautiful white hair!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Michele, I use the combo of farmers cheese and potatoes mostly. Mushroom ones sound wonderful too! Actually any traditional flavor is good. My fondest childhood memory is watching my mother make at least a couple hundred for holidays! I cannot imagine Christmas Eve without them. But I won't eat as many of them anymore either...
    Betty
    17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    How long are you in Paris???? Thanks for the info too much to pick from. Is there any specific info on you location?? Could they send or email?? Address. 4800 Portland ave, Minneapolis Minnesota 55417. Hope they can help, love the location. What do you do for Christmas? We have Christmas Day, use to have 35 people for a sit down dinner. This year under 15 guests, I'm very sad but what can you do??!! Having a pity party, sorry!! Again thanks for your help!!! Gayle
    17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Use to serve goose n had that wonderful liver , made pate with homemade bread n pickles on the side. Yummy!! Recipe from a Swiss chef who owned the bakery in Chicago, 5star restaurant. Gayle Minneapolis
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,947 Member
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    r6vx3hkb9tys.jpg

We are putting up our Hanukkah decorations this afternoon. This is a picture from last year. The bottom part is something that I cross stitched about 15 years ago.

Your cross stitching is beautiful. Happy Hanukkah!

• drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,947 Member
    Options
    janetr7476 wrote: »
    Barbie, thanks for sharing your beautiful decorations. The cross stitching is beautiful. There is a lot of work in that. I used to love to cross stitch, I haven't done it for years.

Janetr OKC

Me, too, Janet. I noticed a quite negative correlation between my love of cross stitching and the deterioration of my eyesight (the up close, requiring bifocals part).

• janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    drkatiebug wrote: »
    janetr7476 wrote: »

Janetr OKC

Me, too, Janet. I noticed a quite negative correlation between my love of cross stitching and the deterioration of my eyesight (the up close, requiring bifocals part).

Exactly, then I had cataracts removed and now I have macular degeneration, so I think my cross stitching days are over.

Janetr okc
  • Elaine352962
    Elaine352962 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Thank you Mary. When mum is well enough my sister or I use curling tongs to give her hair some height. Her hair is soo soft, I am quite envious. The grandchildren when they were younger used to call her mummy christmas.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,995 Member
    Options
    :)Betty,When I was treated for psoriasis it was 1999. I bathed all the affected areas with coal tar shampoo and used triamcinolone cream and used coal tar in body cream and went three days a week for months to stand in a sort of stand up sunlight box starting with a minute and gradually moving up to five minutes for each treatment.....my hubby is dealing with something similar and he has the light treatment and well as clobetasol liquid in a body cream twice a day. The intensive part of it was that it was day after day for months.

:)Michele, we are doing a line dance to "Feliz Navidad" in our program so if the music came on the the store when I was there, I would have been dancing.

:) janetr and drkatie I taught myself to cross stitch and did several beautiful pieces, then one day I realized that it was very tedious work and really preferred knitting so I gave up cross stitch. The finished pieces are beautiful but the work didn't give me the same peaceful feeling I get from knitting.

I did enough knitting on the hat for my great-grandson to realize that I was making it too big, so I had to take out what I'd done and start over.

125347fa3fzrtcfh.gif Barbie
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    MFP Advent Calendar
    Dec. 6th~ The shepherds were amazed and awed.
    They shook with trembling fear
    then slowly from the light they saw,
    an Angel form appear.

Hope everyone is having (or had) a nice Sunday. I was nice and fixed my husband some biscuits & gravy for breakfast. I had one biscuit, cut in half, with a Tablespoon of gravy on each half. Then I had some key lime Tillamook Farmstyle Greek yogurt. Yumm!

Lunch was my normal 2 oz of kelbasa, 1/4 cup wild mixed rice, 1 small zucchini, 1 T. of olive oil, and lots of spices. Then sprinkled with some Parmesan cheese. Another yummy sound...

Well its really stormy outside!
    Becca