WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2015

Options

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,739 Member
    Options
    vdmz87vbzif7.jpg

haven't posted much about my kids, but took them to the vet. floyd, on the left has gotten a little chunky monkey.. 105lbs, so gotta lower his food intake abit (and treats that the husband is giving) so we ease up on his knee. however, bullwilnkle (one laying down) lost 10lbs! she's 71.6 and that's probably due to the thyroid medicine, her fur has come back and is softer than ever and she's more active and eating faster. she has a lump under her front paw that has grown and grown and it's to the point that he (vet) probably thinks we should get it removed. he wants to take xrays and make sure that eveything else about her is ok before attempting the removal. sh'e 10-1/2 right now and i think if we're going to do this, now is the time, she's in great shape otherwise and the longer we wait the worse off it will be for her. keep our old girl in your thoughts. if and when she goes, it is going to kill me, it will be an end of an era, Rocky and Bullwinkle will be no more. estimate is close to $700 and that is WITHOUT the cost of the actual surgery.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Meg: I'm sorry you're having eye problems. It sounds very uncomfortable, to say the least. Not reading is pure torture. Can you listen to audio books? :flowerforyou:

Barbie: I did quite a bit of reading on the Vitamin D issue and chose D3 at 2000 IU daily. I like the liquid gel version but I've been told it doesn't matter. DH also takes this for his MS at the suggestion of his MS doctor. So far I'm pleased with the results and so is my doctor. Good luck with your decision. Has your doctor recommended a particular dose? :flowerforyou:

Heather: I am enjoying your tales of France and also your wonderful photos. thanks for sharing them. :bigsmile:

Sylvia: I wish I could help you with YouTube, but I've never posted anything there. Good luck! :embarassed:

We're going out to the garage to hopefully unearth an aluminum Christmas tree, circa 1960+/-. Wish us luck!

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

December Goals :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Heather -- Thinking of you and your family and friends. Please let us know when you've heard from your loved ones.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,397 Member
    Options
    Did 50 minutes of Karen Voit Sleek Essential DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do an DVD called "Abs workout with Gilad".

I don't know why, but I seem to be so busy right now.

Becca - Looking forward to seeing a pic of your tree. I wouldn't stop calling your eldest sis. Just don't raise your expectations. If you don't call her, I think you'd feel horrible with yourself.

I have a holiday party to go to this Friday for ceramics, so I bought a cookie jar. I thought it was neat because it has a blackboard on the front of it. Anyway, I've made these M&M cookies and now I'm making butterscotch spice cookies to put in it. I'm not making very many of the butterscotch spice since I know that I'll be the only one who will eat them (you don't think Mr. Pickey will eat anything with spice in it, do you?)

barbie - so glad it isn't spinal stenosis, but what are you going to do with yourself for a full week not being able to teach? Is the B12 suppliment a shot or a pill? If it's a pill, was there a brand that they recommended? I remember taking a nutrition class and one segment was on suppliments and how some are more effective than others.

Lenora - get those skinny jeans!!!!

Irish Terri - in a way, I hate this time of year. Mainly because of all the unhealthy foods that are offered. I can't wait until christmas is over just for this reason alone

janetr - cute comic

DJ - what a good friend you are to go over there!

Right now I'm making the vanilla layer of the wedding cake for the gal to try. Wonder if she wants single layer or double? I can do either.

Carol - I think giving your mother the Kindle is a splendid idea, especially that she can increase the font.

Meg - I was beginning to wonder where you were! Oh no, eye reaction, not good at all. Glad to hear it's clearing up some

Helped Vince put out some Christmas decorations, but he needs more nylon ties. We're going to make the pierogi tomorrow and then probably go to Home Depot to get the ties.

Made the bottom layer of the wedding cake. It's about 12" in diameter. Mary - ask your husband, for me, please, is there any trick to being sure that the center is cooked all the way thru? The one thing I can think of is that it can get covered with aluminum foil and baked extra long. That's the only thing I can think of to do.

Michele in NC
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,101 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Mindy thinking about you.

Heather Glorious

Pip: Great to see Kirby doing better.

Chris MA looks wonderful.

Meg sorry to hear about your eyes. Take care.

Went to a soothing choral Holiday concert last night.

:heart: Margaret
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,444 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Kafka Hogwarts is a 10 week Harry Potter themed weight loss challenge on Community. They set exercise and diet challenges and you get house points for each one you complete. We are doing our Newts (end of term exams) at the moment. Our house have just completed the final of the Quiddich Cup and we are waiting for the result at the moment. It's a fun way of motivating people to exercise and stay on track with their goals.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,739 Member
    Options
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Those of us with love for animals feel your pain, Pip, with the fear of losing a beloved pet. I am going to spend a couple hundred dollars next week on the well-being of the cat that bit me! It was on the agenda before the bite- a tooth cleaning and possibly pull some. It was my fault for breaking up a cat fight, not his! I have a special affection for goldies, too.

Foot is better, but I am still quite disabled with it. So frustrating to have to keep lying down to elevate it.
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    B)
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,999 Member
    Options
    :'(Miriam,so sorry to hear that your foot is still a problem

:)Katla,My doctor didn't recommend a specific dosage or brand of D3....the one I started last night is 1000 iu on top of diet that is already rich in vitamin D....I guess we'll re-evaluate next year.

:)Michele, my doctor didn't specify what sort of B12 so I bought one at the pharmacy. She ordered a blood test for B12 levels and may have a more specific recommendation after she gets the test results....I have a knitting project and lots of paper and computer files that need to be organized so my week of no exercise will be productive....I won't have to miss teaching my dance class because the class is on Fridays and there will be no classe for two weeks at the end of the month because of the holidays.

:'(Pip, sorry to hear about Bullwinkle..your house will be a sort of post surgical rehab facility.....our fur babies are so special and hurts so much when they need medical treatment

t110008.gif we've had some big winds today and branches have broken off the trees and landed on the roof. Jake is going to talk to the park management on Monday about the possibility of getting one of the trees cut down.
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    MFP Advent Calendar
    Dec. 5th~ And there were shepherds on a hill
    who watcher their flocks that night.
    When suddenly the whole sky glowed,
    with a blinding, radiant light.

001_zpssuakymkk.jpg
    002_zpsloqkhmar.jpg
    004_zpswzcaqw4k.jpg

If you see your face give a shout out!

Good news, today I rec'd a call from my middle sis, and we set life straight. I told her I will and shall always be her sister, no judging or demands. We talked for about 3 hours, (while I had my living room looking like Christmas threw up all over)...mid decorating AINT pretty! Such a relief to clear the air. Literally a weight lifted off these ol shoulders.

Might take a video of my decorations later on. It was therapeutic to decorate today, and husband left me alone. He did sit on the couch part way thru my decorating and said in a calm voice, "You know, you don't have to put up every tree ornament we own". For that I said with a smile, "I know, but remember when I let you pick out the decorations for the tree, and you picked 4 from our pile?" Silly men....

Thank you for letting me vent though last night.

Becca
    Oregon

• janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Finally got my tree up in the Florida room. Put the woodlands decorations on the fireplace and coffee table. That's all I'm going to do as we will leave for AZ just a few days after Christmas. Always hang Flash (Boston terrier) and Charro (Chihuahua) on the tree. All dressed up in their Christmas finery, of course. :)w65gu98nvln5.jpg
  • Annr
    Options
    @janetr7476 Hey Janet, could you pluuuuease send me a snapshot for my felt advent calendar. I need you up there! Becca
  • Annr
    Options
    janetr7476 wrote: »
    Finally got my tree up in the Florida room. Put the woodlands decorations on the fireplace and coffee table. That's all I'm going to do as we will leave for AZ just a few days after Christmas. Always hang Flash (Boston terrier) and Charro (Chihuahua) on the tree. All dressed up in their Christmas finery, of course. :)w65gu98nvln5.jpg

Looks beeeautiful! Love the glitter snowflakes!
  • Sunnygirl_2015
    Sunnygirl_2015 Posts: 184 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Had a wonderful time on the Holiday house tour with good friends today. This was a view from one of the homes. Just lovely B)
    fx5xtdvfdrs0.jpeg

❤️rosie in so cal

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,999 Member
    Options
    :)Becca,love your advent calendar and not just because my picture is on it (below Santa)

:)janetr,great tree especially with animal ornaments
  • Annr
    Options
    (((Barbie))))) yep!!
  • Annr
    Options
    Rosie in So. Cal. What an awesome pic! I miss those sunny clear blue days! We used to be displaced Oregonians in California, and now we are the opposite. Have lived all over that state, except the desert.
    Becca
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Michele - DH said that you don't have to do anything different. Just check with a toothpick to see if it's done. He said that they are made to get done correctly.

Pip - I will be praying for Bullwinkle and your vet to know what needs to be done. (((hugs)))

Barbie - too bad about the branches. No damage I hope.

Becca - nice calendar! I'm glad that you and your sister talked! I have issues with 2 of mine,but we try to get along for the family.

Miriam - you are very kind to the cat that bit you. You are right that it probably wasn't trying to bite you.

We are starting to lay the wood floor in the living room. The first 3 rows have to be drilled and nailed in then we can use the air assist nailer. I get to use the chop saw and cut the boards.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :)Becca,love your advent calendar and not just because my picture is on it (below Santa)

:)janetr,great tree especially with animal ornaments

Barbie Thank you.

Becca - I did try to print a pic, but just had no head shots. Maybe I can get Jack to take a new one. The tree is terrific. Thank you for thinking of us.

Rosie - beautiful.