WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2015

Options

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,004 Member
    Options
    :)Pip,good news for Kirby to get rid of that neck brace....glad you two can do PT at the same time

:)Heather, what a beautiful picture of you and your hubby (also liked the pictures of your wonderful vacation apartment.)

:) Here is a short version of the results of my visit to the doctor today. The doctor who did the nerve conduction test reported sensory peripheral neuropathy and suggested a fairly high dose B12 supplement. My doctor has referred me to another neurology doctor for additional tests and ordered some more blood tests to either confirm or rule out some possible causes of the neuropathy. She increased the dosage of Gabepentin (for nerve pain) so I can cut back or eliminate taking ibuprofen. She also suggested taking a break from exercise for a week to see if that improves my symptoms. So far neither sciatica or spinal stenosis are part of the conversation because none of the pain seems to be coming from my spine. She agreed that I could wait until closer to the holidays to try the week off from exercise so that it won't have an impact on teaching my class or performing in the program for the next two Mondays.

<3 Barbie
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Chris - Beautiful picture! I hope you have a great weekend

Becca - sorry for your loss! (((hugs)))

Barbie - I hope you feel better!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • Sunnygirl_2015
    Sunnygirl_2015 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    <3
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening Ladies,

OMG, there were 79 new posts and I didn't finish reading them until tonight so didn't even look to see how many more. I apologize in advance for this long post but that's what happens when I have 4+ pages to read.

Pip, congrats on the ponytail. (later) Wooo hoooo for Kirby!!!!

Sylvia, so glad you found your phone. Also happy that you are being a biggie girl and invited the mom to DGS’s bd party. It is his special day after all. You are the best!!!!

Mary, it sounds like you are making progress. Keep up the great work. (later) So sorry you got the bad headache. Hope you feel better soon.

Katla, I haven’t seen one of those aluminum Christmas trees in forever. Talk about bringing back memories. Your day sounds wonderful, sitting and enjoying the view. Good for you on getting on those wills. We just never know when we will need them.

Allison, I have to agree that I wouldn’t spend more on doll clothes than I spend for myself. Lol Hope you can find something.

Heather, it sounds like a full day. We love hearing about your adventures. Love the pictures!!!

Janetr, I hope the plumbers show up and correct your problems. It gets so frustrating waiting on service people. (later) Glad they showed up and hope it costs less than expected.

Mindy, sending prayers for your DD and you as well. (((((Hugs)))))

Sue, I hope you can take a picture of your veggie tree to share with us.

Allison,. Wooo hooooo on the pellet stove. Glad they got it working.

Lisa, it sounds like a nice community celebration. Safe travels with DH.

Rori, I do hope they got clean margins this time. You probably need a pity party every once in a while. It is not easy being responsible for someone else if that is not your bag. It can be exhausting. (((((Hugs))))) I’m the same way so I feel your pain and sending prayers. Take it one day at a time.

Joyce, the way I feel about it is it won’t do us any good to be concerned about our CRS. I hope it’s nothing more, but so far they don’t know how to stop it.

Cathy, welcome. This is a great place for support and information. Come often and join right in.

Terri, I have to set a timer when I’m cooking, too. I know it’s frustrating to want to help your DD when only she can do it. I feel the same about a good friend of mine that is almost immobile because she won’t get up and move. So sorry your RA is acting up. Wishing you a speedy road to no pain.

CarolNC, I hope your grand niece’s Dad will continue to improve. Did you talk to her and if so, how is she doing. I hope date #2 goes well and congrats on the hair styling NSV. Good luck with the new eye doctor.

Karen, congrats on the new pants size!!!! Keep up the good work.

Betty, I have a friend that lost over 200 pounds after gastric surgery and her exercise of choice is on the Wii. I decided that sounded like a lot more fun than most of the exercises I’ve tried so today I ordered myself one for Christmas. She told me that I would need the Wii console and also the Wii Fit which has lots of exercised, I’m guessing. I got a used console on Ebay and a new Fit so I hope it does the trick and gets me moving regularly. I wanted something I can do in the house every day.

Barbie, I so hope the doctor can find a solution for your problems. (((Hugs)))

Margaret, the caroling sounds like such fun.

Vicki, so sad for your DN and his partner. Sending prayers.

Chris, beautiful picture!!!

I hope all of you have a healthy and happy day. rose.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    DJ - the Wii is a lot of fun! You can do it with other people. Even compete against your DH.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,748 Member
    Options
    one month ago today i was in the hospital to be with kirby, today he takes his neck brace off. i say nite with a smile!
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    <3
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    pip, so happy Kirby has his neck brace off. Has he lost a lot of weight, or is it the shirt he has on? Now you two can do some proper snuggling! Glad you can both be in therapy at the same time and place.

Barbie, glad at least they think they know what the problem is. Is the Gabepentin even working?

Heather, love the apartment. When I think of the houses our family has rented for our vacations for $200/night. of course they are 5 bedrooms. The only thing I didn't like in t he pictures of the apartment was the fire place. It looked like it ad a creepy bust of some man in it. The Christmas festival was lovely though.

Last night as we were getting ready to go to bed Charlie tells me he thinks he is back in his irregular rhythm. So I got my stethescope out. He wondered why I was going to use that instead of just feeling his pulse. I told him (in jest) that it is an old nurse's trick to use the cold stethescope to shock a heart back into regular rhythm. But as I listened, it was quite irregular. His blood pressure and pulse rate were OK so I jsut had him take an extra one of his rhythm pills. The dose of them had really been cut back because of how low his heart rate with his meningitis episode and also blood pressure being terribly low. All of that has cleared up now but medicine is still the same. So this morning everything was OK. I guess it does warrant a call to the doctor and see if his medicine needs to go back to it's original dosage. But it sure did make me worry all night. I know last year when I took him to the ER with the A fib, he ended up in the cath lab with 2 stents put in. His cardiologist has often mentioned to him he may eventually need open heart surgery. So I was worrying about that. I was thinking in my worrying that I needed to suggest they use his wrist for the entry site for the cardiac catheterization because of his diarrhea. Even if he had surgery, they usually use the leg as the donor vein for the bypass surgery. Hs has diarrhea and how it could soil that incision on his leg. And then it went on into him not recovering and I am here by myself. We have two cars, which one would I sell??? No, I would sell both and get more money and get a sedan and not worry about a van anymore. So many things kept me awake. Silly man, he went grocery shopping by himself today while I went Christmas shopping. Not only did he get more tomato juice which just rips through his colon but he bought $.98 Totinos pizzas, 2 of them. A $.98 pizza is going to taste and have the quality of a $.98 pizza. So he made it tonight as a bedtime snack (8*&&^&&***) and it was just like the tomato juice, went right through him. I told him he should just throw away that other one. I mean, it is no financial loss to us. Just throw it away. Nope, no way.

Didn't get anything while out Christmas shopping. Should have done my homework as to sizes, styles, etc but i didn't. I did go to Christopher & Banks and get me 3 tops. They are having a BIG sale.

As you can tell I am not writing notes as I read like I used to so I can't remember what was in other peoples posts. But i think of you all the time

Nite, Joyce, Indiana
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,833 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    still feeling lousy ,so having tea with cinnamon and honey
    well a week from today at this time we will be on the road to floruda... I am trying to figure out what to do for Christmas for my dad, he already has his computer chair, will maybe make him some of his favorites.. because he always loves my baking.....
    I texted with my daughter, she is still angry with me, but tried explaining I did the best I could..
    told her I was trying to secure a future for us...which I was....
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,379 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Good morning!

Chris - that's a fine view! :)

This morning I slept until 8 am. :D Then we went out to the Saturday market, held under the 18th century aqueduct just north of us. Underneath stone arches. <3 We bought goats cheese, Roquefort, tarte au citron for DH, fantastic artisan bread, tomatoes, eggs, (we have one boiled for breakfast every day), tiny purple turnips and some gorgeous, freshly picked spinach. I also have to tell you I bought fresh foie gras, which you can't get in England, which we will have for dinner tomorrow with the spinach. You just lightly flour it and flash fry. I'm sorry if it offends any of you. :embarassed: I think the welfare standards are better than they used to be.
    It was lovely and sunny and thronged with shoppers. Over here there is a strict etiquette about standing in line to be served and if you don't do it right an old lady will tell you. :laugh: Also you have to always greet the seller with "Bonjour" and they always wish you a good day to which you say, "and to you". When you enter a shop you always greet the server and sometimes the other people in the shop. In England we don't usually do that. Foreigners must seem very rude to them because those small courtesies are very important. :) Must be very wearing to be a shop assistant over here!
    Having lunch in a minute. Don't know what we're doing this afternoon.

Love Heather in the south.
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Becca, so sorry your sis is not returning your calls. I have found that sometimes you just have to let people go and move on. Family dynamics change and she just might surprise you one day.

Heather, your trip sounds fabulous. I know you are having a great time.

Barbie, I think the doc is right about cutting down on some of the exercise and seeing if that helps. You might also want to make some dietary changes to get the vitamins/minerals you might be missing.

Went to see my mom Friday and my sis and I took her out for lunch. She had a small steak and loved her glass of wine. I don't know how much longer we will be able to take her out as it is so difficult for her to get in and out of her wheelchair.

Going to 5 yr olds first basketball game at 8 AM (too, too early). Then hope to go to BJ's and pick up a few things.

Peach - Carol
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    :):'(:#<3
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Well, beginning the 2nd day that Cracker is in her crate for an all day rest. DH took her out this morning and then she got back in the crate. When I came out of the MBR, she pitched a fit to get out again. Drank my coffee and ate a biscuit. DH & DOS went hunting this AM and Cracker was insistent about climbing into my lap. She is just slightly too long to be a 'lap dog' and she still climbed up in my lap for loving. Which I gladly gave her, especially since she has to stay in her crate all day. She hasn't put up much of a fight; but, she will cut those sweet brown puppy dog eyes and make you feel so rotten. DH says that I am making her down right stinky rotten; but, she is 'my' puppy; although she loves DH to death, too.

My exercise has consisted of running errands that take almost all day long; but, counting it as walking slowly. Got to figure out which presents I have bought over the year goes to whichever person and then get the ones for my DYS and DDnL#2 and DSGD ready to take with them when they go out to visit DYS and go hunting.

Trying to stay within my daily 'caloric intake' as much as I can. At least I haven't gone over by much and stayed under it 1/2 of those times. Still my clothes seem to be getting looser and looser, which is good; but, now I want another pair of 'skinny jeans' ... something about not having any tight fitting jeans for a long time since I have felt like I would look good in them is getting better. I haven't been self-conscious in them at all. Now I want a pair of boots. I thought I had kept a pair I had several years ago, but, realized that I had given them to Goodwill because of the height of the heels and I still might not be able to wear them.

DDnL#2 has my curiosity up about what she is making for me for Christmas. LOL! I cannot imagine what it might be. She is working on a journal of her thoughts and daily interactions with DYS to give him for their first anniversary which is 'paper'. Both of them are hopeless romantics. I get some of the sweetest notes and calls from her.

Well, hope all of you are doing well with your daily endeavors of dealing with life and what is going on with all of you.

Lenora
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,461 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Heather Great pictures! Looks like you are both enjoying yourselves.

Pip Thank goodness Kirby has got rid of the neck brace. He looks like he is doing well.

Mia I hope you sold loads of your fabulous glassware. I know that sort of thing is very popular.

Joyce It's definitely a grandma thing. I have a cupboard full of toys, mostly belonging to my 45 and 49 year old daughters. They were in constant use up until quite recently. DGS#3 is 12.
    I love Chris & Banks stuff, when I visit USA. Also have the problem with what size to try now that I have lost so much weight. Even my underwear needs replaced.

Cheri You will love the Fitbit Flex. It is very user friendly.

Peach It's great that you can still take your mom out. Make the best of each outing. They mean so much to our olds. DMIL (now gone) told us when she no longer wanted to have the hassle. (We had started taking her out in wheelchair friendly taxis so that she didn't have to get out of the chair.)

Allison I hope you are feeling better soon. Perhaps the Florida heat will help. Your daughter will come round, I'm sure.

I have had such a hectic schedule for the last 10 days as many of my activity groups break up for the festive season. Already had several parties, a dinner, two evening theatre/concert outings and a flower show this week alone. My choices have not been as healthy as usual so I'm glad this comes just once a year.

Just hit my November goal on Tuesday. Better late than never.

December Goals

Start weight: 220lbs (Spring 2014)
    December start weight: 163
    Goal weight: 161 (for 31/12) to take account of the festive season's food.

Current Weight: 163
    Weight lost this month:

Daily Goals
    :star: Pre-log/follow through
    :star: balance carbs/protein/fat
    :star: 8+ cups liquids
    :star: 30+ minutes each Strength/flexibility
    :star: 6000+ steps daily
    :star: finish eating at 9pm 5/7 days per week
    :star: finish eating at 10pm 2/7 days of my choosing per week
    :star: post daily goals/progress - Just for Today
    :star: post progress - No Late Night Snacking
    :star: complete Hogwarts challenges
    :star: Post weekly progress reports here :sunglasses:

:heart: Healing thoughts and prayers to those who need them! :heart:

:sunglasses: Welcome to our Newbies. Sit a spell! :sunglasses:

:star: Let your light shine out in the darkness :star:

w81hz7cecq7u.jpeg
    :star::)smiley-happy110.gif:):star:

Irish Terri harp.gif
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Have worked hard all week at exercising. Made it to water aerobics 4 days and stationary bike every day. My knees are protesting, the right knee is worse than left and it was replaced in January, where right knee was just the end of Sept. Hoping it's just the colder weather. Staying at 1200 calories a day. This morning I am down 3 lbs. Monday is my official weekly weigh in, so will see where I am then.
    fibch84nxtvu.jpg

Janetr OKC
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,526 Member
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    one month ago today i was in the hospital to be with kirby, today he takes his neck brace off. i say nite with a smile!

Awesome news!!

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,526 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness!! I finally get to sit for a bit and catch up with everyone.

Welcome to all the new people, hugs to everyone.

I haven't been home much for the last two weeks.... so therefore the house is a disaster!! Yesterday I moved boxes that were moved for our basement renovations. I really wanted to go through them and put the contents where they belonged, but we haven't purchased any shelving or cupboards to display some of our treasures.... And why didn't I go through them.... BECAUSE I have 30 people coming to my house next weekend and 11 of them are staying at my house so I need to get the bedrooms freshened up and ready for guests to arrive on Friday.

Next weekend it my DH's annual family tradition "Tree Hunt". This is the gathering when we get to see some of the family that we haven't seen since last year's tree hunt. And because I work 4 days next weekend .... I need to clean and organize my house this weekend.

I will try and keep up with everyone

Later everyone
    Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Morning Ladies,

I have to say I was excited to see that there are only 19 posts to get caught up. I don’t want you all to post less often but I somehow got behind yesterday and it became a job. I love reading about your lives.

Pip, what a difference a month makes. In fact, how long has it been since you first went in the hospital with your fall? You’ve had a lot going on since that day. So glad you are both resilient!!!! Love to you both. <3

Mary, I have played on a Wii once or twice at neighbors and yes it was fun. I have never seen any of the exercise things that they have and look forward to that also. I do have my cardio-glider set up in front of a TV but I still get bored doing that. I have to admit, I wish I had a work out buddy. I think that would be great. But I am determined to get back to a regular exercise routine, whatever it takes. Ya’ll feel free to hound me about exercising. >:)

Joyce, what’s the matter with having a bust of a “creepy man” in the living room??? boo.gif You gave me a giggle on that one. I’ll tell you one thing, Charlie is really lucky to have you. First of all, my DH would be a way worse patient with those problems, but you are great. I just pray that he will get better. And I’d have to put my foot down on the tomato juice and pizza. I mean “really?” ((((Hugs))))

Allison, I’m sure whatever you do for your Dad, he will love. You are such a caring person, I just hope Santa takes care of you. I hope your trip to Florida is just what the doctor ordered!!! So sorry you are feeling under the weather. smiley-sick005.gif

Heather, no wonder the French don’t much like Americans. I’m sure many travelers don’t know about the proper etiquette in the shops. That is so interesting!!!

CarolGA, it’s so nice for your Mom that you have still been able to take her out. I feel like my Mom died way too early and I wanted many more outings with her. Enjoy the time you have together, even though it takes an effort.

IrishTerri, congrats on hitting your Nov. goal, and who cares when it is!!!! Wow, you sound busy and I’m sure it’s not always easy to eat properly, but you are doing great, so keep it up!!

Janetr
    , congrats on the 3 pounds!!! That is terrific. You are doing a great job with the exercising but don’t put too much on those knees. Love the cartoon….thanks.

Lillian
    , try not to stress over all that in coming your way, but enjoy yourself and your visitors. How many people will be at this “tree hunt” and how many trees will they get? Sounds like fun.

My friend had her hip surgery Wednesday and they sent her home Thursday. She is doing great! Her daughter needs to go home for a couple of days so I will go stay with her Tuesday and Wednesday. I said, “Oh boy a sleep over”. Lol I told her we should invite some of our other girlfriends. I have to admit, I am thrilled that she is doing so well. I hope all of you are doing well, too. I think of you so often and only want the best for each of you.

I hope all of you have a healthy and happy day. rose.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,748 Member
    Options
    morning peeps -

jmkmom - still no sleeping in bed together so no power snuggling. the yogi might trample on his shoulder and that wouldn't be good. i sleep upstairs, he is downstairs.

damnit - i had my fall on july 10, my surgery on sept. 24 and on dec 14 FINALLY going to start physical therapy. i wouldn't doubt if something changes because i didn't start therapy soon enough, hard to explain, but we'll see.

this means, we haven't slept together since 9/24!! wowzers peeps!
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday ! ! !

Kirby – congrats ! ! ! Keep up the good work. Pip – Keep taking care of yourself also.

Beth – up until a few years ago (menopause) I had hyperhidrosis. Until getting a Rx anti-perspirant, I used a product called Certain-Dri. It is considered OTC, but at most places you need to ask the Pharmacist for it (or to order it). The biggest problem I had with it was the time it required. After showering, I applied it, then lay on the bed with my arms over my head waiting for it to dry (I only used it in armpits). Tell him I hug him for his struggles.

Mary – for MegaMillions last night, we only matched 1 number, and not the MegaBall. So sad! Fingers crossed for tonight' Powerball !

Chris
    – Thanks for sharing the beautiful scenery.

Becca – Hugs and sympathy. When my middle sister “jumped off the deep-end” we considered her a homeless stranger that slept on our couch and ate our food (because it was too painful to fully understand what was happening in her brain). Then a few years ago all my Mom’s siblings dis-owned me because I told one of them they could not continue to speak to me with disrespect. On the rare occasion someone mentions them, I just consider them “friends of a friend” and not an important part of my life, but I don’t consider them dead, just no longer important. I certainly hope things will quickly get better for you and your siblings. And I hope that typing your feelings made them seem more “normal”, because you and your feelings are important ! ! !

Barbie
    – I hope you find relief in the options the doctor gave you (and I’m sure you are relieved that reducing exercise can wait a little) ! ! ! We have plenty of people who come in often for shots on B-12, so I hope the increased oral dose works well.

Heather – All those niceties sounds like so much fun. I’m the person in the elevator who stands backwards or sideways, so I can talk to people I have never met. Luckily my Dad is the same, DH doesn’t care, and DS just rolls his eyes at me, but being a teenager that is considered normal. Oh, and DD is usually the same, too. I wish I knew a different language so I could travel. I admire and envy you ! ! !

Peach
    – watching 5 year olds play basketball is so much fun. They struggle to control the dribble, struggle to catch passes (if they will even pass, because who wants to give the ball to someone else?), miss the basket more often than not. They are like a swarm of honeybees running around the court. Enjoy ! ! !

The Clinic is open until noon today. We have a nice schedule; a few people but not too many. I arrived early to ride the bike - 10 minutes today. My feet are significantly better (the golf ball feeling is gone, but joints are still stiff), but hip is not, so stretching upper body in my chair, and trying to remember to get up and walk. I really should set a timer.

DS stayed home last night to do schoolwork, because he is struggling in German. DH subbed on a bowling team and struggled, but this team is about fun. Thursday he threw 714 then last night he threw 560. Bowling is a fickle sport !

Noon today is the first High School bowling match of the season. There are usually more family members than bowlers, so I'm not counting on getting a chair, but I brought my crochet just in case (a patient here asked for hats for Vets, so I'm knitting on the loom when I'm not working on my poncho).

Hugs for Everyone ! ! !

Terri in Milwaukee