WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2015

Options

Replies

• mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good evening everyone. I hope you all had a great weekend.

We had the much anticipated pool party today, for which I spent about a hundred dollars, and exactly ONE kid from his class showed up. Luckily, the one who showed up was his very best friend, so he still had a lot of fun. His sisters and step brother all came too, and our little group had the pool all to ourselves. Even though it was an open swim day it was still empty. There was a lifeguard, too, so I didn't bother to go in the water. The evil ex wife did show up too, with her new boyfriend, and my hubby stopped by. So, all in all, it was a pretty nice afternoon.

My hips are finally feeling better, so I'm going to try working out tomorrow morning. But no Zumba . That might be pushing it. I'll take DGD though, so she can do it.

No luck yet on catching mice. Spot is still hunting them though, so I think they are still around. We will see if they steal cheese as easily as they stole peanut butter.

I'm going to bed early. Sweet dreams everyone!

Sylvia

• janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Barbie I tried knitting but I just didn't keep at it long enough to feel comfortable with it.

Janetr OKC
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    We met longtime friends for lunch at a fish place in Portland. We haven't seen them for more than a year, and it was wonderful to share a meal and catch up on happenings. The husband has had four heart attacks since we last saw him & has had 9 stents put in. He's lost enough weight to be in the healthy zone, and looks like he is doing better. His wife is doing well despite having MS and worries about her husband. We spent several hours eating lunch and gabbing, and will try to get together again in March.

My current photo is our aluminum tree with the color wheel showing red. My parents used it in the 1960's when I was in junior high. DD says she had it for a while and used it several years back. That was a surprise to me.

PS: The glass balls on the tree now are the ones they used in the 1960s.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    <3

Mary from Minnesota
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,781 Member
    Options
    Katla ... I'm going to have to get to a bigger device... I can't see your tree on my phone!

Sylvia ... Glad your grandson Still had fun. I once gave invitations out for my son's birthday party (December 20th birthday) ... No one rsvp'd and when I called back one woman answered in a snobby voice "I don't know what but I'm sure we have something planned for that day."

Nice to see you're giving your little friends variety in their diet!

Beth

• DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening Ladies,

Heather it sounds like a very full day. I’m sure we all enjoy hearing about your adventures and any one that doesn’t can just skip over it. For sure I can’t imagine it p####s anyone off. Lol

Mary, congrats on the lifts and good luck on the floor. That can kill your knees….I hope you have knee pads!

Betty, congrats on the clean garage. That is a great accomplishment and good exercise I’m sure.

MicheleNC, isn’t it fun to embarrass our kids? I can just see you dancing in the store. The pierogi sound yummy.

Sylvia, that’s sad that only one kid showed up from DGS’s school. I’m glad he had a good time anyway. You are the bestest grandmother I know. So glad your hip is better.

Katla, is this the first time you have used the tree as an adult? Thanks for the picture. I remember those glass balls breaking each year.

Well I’m in the Christmas movie mode. I record all the new ones and today I watched two while DH was watching football. Carolina is hanging in there.

I hope all of you have a healthy and happy day. rose.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    DJ: This is the first time we've ever used the tree that I can recall. DD says she has used it in the past but I didn't see it and don't remember her using it. I have my mom's glass Christmas balls that she used on that tree and they are now decorating it again after a long rest. Could I be a packrat? :huh: I am feeling a bit sentimental. :heart:
  • janetr7476
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Katla - love the tree, thanks for sharing :)

DJ - wrote "Well I’m in the Christmas movie mode. I record all the new ones and today I watched two while DH was watching football. Carolina is hanging in there." Made me laugh, Jack looked at the recorded list on the DVR last night and said what are all of these? I told him my Christmas movies, leave them alone lol I do watch football all day Sunday tho, I think I'm a bigger fan than hubby is.

Janetr OKC
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    No time to read back thru right now but see that I have missed quite a bit in the last few days.

We are really enjoying our visit with my MIL and my husband's siblings. Such a blessing to be reconciled with his sister and brother after 8 years of bitterness. We had a wonderful Hanukkah celebration tonight.

The weather has been damp and rainy here in South Florida but much better than our current freezing conditions in NE Ohio! 2 more days and then will head home.

Best wishes to those celebrating Hanukkah!
    Prayers for those in need and praise for those with successes!

Cheri in damp So Florida
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,099 Member
    Options
    Happy Hanukkah on this first day of Hanukkah!
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    It was a beautiful day today. Temperature when I went to church this morning was mid 40's but real sunny. I have a sweater coat and I was wearing a deep blue sweater so the grey sweater coat looked nice with it. My heavy winter coat is a regular woman's coat but my other coats are generic, both bought in the men's section. I don't like to wear them for church. One is a jacket from the Smoky Mountains and it's kind of OK but my heavier one is straight from Walmart's men's section. I thought we were very diversified in our music today. I don't know what a newcomer would have thought of it if they were wanting a traditional Baptist church, not the contemporary church. Our first congregational song was a praise and worship song with a guitar. and then our offertory was a combination of piano and trumpet and then we had a duet with guitar again. I love Christmas carols!!!

After reading about all the cross stitch lately I had been thinking about maybe starting it up again. But then you all are talking about your vision and you can't do it. Bummer, maybe I can't. If i did I would get one of the kits that have everything but the hoop. That way I wouldn't have to invest in all the thread, pattern books and such.

Meg, my niece is married to a guy who has been blind since birth. Oh does he love his TV. I imagine he has all the Mash episodes memorized. He loves to have people talk to him about what things feel like since he can't see them. He is very good under the hood of a car, he will change thier spark plugs, etc. I wish he would consider a seeing eye dog and be more mobile but they say their apartment is to small for a dog. But if he had a dog, he could go out and get a better paying job. Right now he works on scheduling semi truck routes. He doesn't get very many to schedule so doesn't get much of a paycheck.

Betty, I have psoriasis and the 'heavy' treatment I did was pretty much like what Barbie said. But most of my psoriasis is around my waist and under my breasts and when you are heavy it is pretty difficult for the light treatment to get to those areas. Plus the intense light was pretty hot and that didn't do well with my MS so it was less heat for a longer time. I quit because of the expense and not really working.

Mindy, I have done some pretty funny typo errors also. My daughters love to make fun of me also. The other day I was invited to join a group on face book so I could get some playing partners for a game I play. i have no idea how my auto correct got these but these are just two things I wrote that made my daughter about pee in her pants. I was trying to write Friend request sent but on one it came out 'Hygiene request sent' and the other came out 'Grief request sent'.

Karen I understand what you are saying with the recording. Last winter when my youngest grand daughter had her first ballet recital, I spent so much time trying to record her that I didn't really get to completely enjoy the whole recital. I am just glad that my son in law is a videographer by trade and has the expensive stuff to do it.

tonight my youngest came over and gave us our Christmas present. The Blue Man group is coming to town. She knows how much I love them. I'm not sure Charlie has ever seen a whole show. well I have never seen a whole show either but he has just caught glimpses of them appearing on TV. Michelle has been to their show with her ex. So she bought tickets for the 3 of us to go. I really appreciate her thinking of us, well me, but it is on a wEdnesday night. The last choir practice before our Christmas cantata. Plus this Wednesday night our choir director is out of town and there will be no practice. So last wEdnesday night was my last practice. Uh ho! Plus Wednesday night is Charlie's big Karaoke night, the evening and night time is his worst time as far as diarrhea. I just hope he is OK to do it. I have heard the music they play and it isn't our cup of tea but when you put it with the whole show and what the Blue Men do with the music it makes the show. We have balcony seats so I hope we can see them pretty good. Maybe I can go out and buy binoculars. I know she doesn't have this kind of money so this gift is truly given out of love.

When Michelle and I bought our phones 2 months ago I would get all sorts of junk emails. Some of them were disgusting, some just a bother to have to delete. I hate it that too get rid of them, you had to click on 'unsubscribe'. Unsubscribe?????? I never subscribed in the first place. Why should I have to go through the bother of unsubscribing. I thought they were all over then today I got one about erectile dysfunction and how to make it go away just by eating this particular sandwich!!!

OK, my rants are over for the day. have to go to grocery store. Please don't throw anything at me but one party I am going to Tuesday I am fixing chocolate cream cheese Monkey bread. I have made Monkey bread before but not the chocolate cream cheese. You take cubes of cream cheese, put it into flattened pieces of the biscuit dough, lace 3 chocolate chips in with the cream cheese and wrap it into a ball. That makes the ball and the rest of the recipe is just like Monkey bread. Oh, you also use walnuts.

Nite nite my sweet friends, Joyce, Indiana
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,823 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    much worse today drinking hot water with honey and cinnamon.. Tom was crash banging around in the kitchen this morning cleaning out a drawer in the fridge, so he was a cranky.. and I dont care right now as I feel crappy...
    Plus Tracy sent me another scathing note... seems like I am at the bottom of the barrel with some of my family..
    Oh Well...
    sorry have read,but not up to responding to everyone.. Love ya lots
  • FrankTamara
    FrankTamara Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi! My name is Tamara and I am looking to add some weight loss buddies for help and support. I am not sure how to do that, so any help would be appreciated! I have been doing LCHF since April, I am 51 years old. I have lost 35 lbs. but most importantly my health has GREATLY improved. My A1C has gone from 10.5 in March to 6.4 in November. My thyroid is back to normal and I feel soooo good now!! My weight loss has slowed and I sure could use some people to talk with and hopefully I can help others too! :)
  • Elaine352962
    Elaine352962 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Hi Tamara. You have done so well. Good for you. Everyone on here are helpful. I bookmarked it so that I am able to keep up with everyones interesting posts. When I get onto my computer I will send you a friend request, would love to get some help from you on how you achieved your amazing weight loss. Welldone.

• bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,781 Member
    Options
    Alison ... Hope you feel better soon.

FrankTamara ... I assume you're the Tamara part of your name ... Welcome

Busy day today. And have to watch my choices today after eating crab dip yesterday ...

Beth
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    <3
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,995 Member
    Options
    Hi! My name is Tamara and I am looking to add some weight loss buddies for help and support. I am not sure how to do that, so any help would be appreciated! I have been doing LCHF since April, I am 51 years old. I have lost 35 lbs. but most importantly my health has GREATLY improved. My A1C has gone from 10.5 in March to 6.4 in November. My thyroid is back to normal and I feel soooo good now!! My weight loss has slowed and I sure could use some people to talk with and hopefully I can help others too! :)

:) Hi Tamara, If you bookmark this thread and come back every day and read the posts and join the discussion you'll have many friends for support and encouragement and help

:) Barbie from NW Washington
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    <3

Mary from Minnesota
  • janetr7476
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Good morning, ladies. My weekly weigh in this morning showed almost a 3.5 lb. Loss. I'm very pleased. Of course this was my first week of water aerobics since the end of September due to left knee replacement. Also had not tracked at all the week of Thanksgiving and ate all the goodies my DMIL baked. So, I know this will not happen every week but it gave me a big boost. I really am just on maintenance at this point, but need to lose 5 lbs to get back where I want to be. That would be where I have been the last year at the bariatric surgeons weigh ins.

I baked a batch of spritz cookies yesterday and put them directly in the freezer. I plan on doing a couple of other cookies and start on chili, pulled pork and a few other things to freeze and take in the RV for the AZ trip. Not sure yet how many will be here for Christmas dinner. At least 11 up to 22 or so.

Gotta get ready for water aerobics. Have a great day all.

Janetr OKC
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Hi to all 'newbies' and the 'ones who have been here for awhile'.

OK, Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukah to all! What 'traditions' do y'all have to eat or decorate with during your respective holidays?

I always put out my Manger scenes (4) and Holy Family figurines; 3 Santa's and 1 toy soldier (drummer boy); and stockings that my Mother made for our sons, and store bought stockings for all 4 granddaughters. These are usually just 'for show'. Filling them with stocking stuffers to fill them would probably run me $200 or more. This year I am using a macramé tree that my Mother knotted and I strung lights throughout it. That is going to become another 'tradition' for me to use as my Christmas tree, so I don't have to deal with tree needles all over the house. Last year and this year I split the crocheted snowflakes between my two DDsnL. Hope they enjoy using them. I'm thinking about giving them the rest of my balls and other tree ornaments (maybe next year in time for them to use them ... maybe at Thanksgiving when they all should be here.

One tradition we do on Christmas Even is I make oyster stew for the family. We always had it in my home when I was growing up. Oyster Stew with my Mother's recipe. This year, all that like the oysters want 'more' oysters in it. I have already 'ordered' my oysters to be picked up that Wednesday sometime. I just need to remember that I DID order them instead of 'freaking out' when I have bought them in the past. One year all I had to put in it was one pint and we all got one, maybe 2 oysters that year; so I don't wait any longer. This year I'll use 4 pints. The 2 little ones have not gotten so they will eat them (yet); although DMGD did try one last year. I put cooking wine in my milk and salt and pepper my milk, sauté oysters in butter until edges curl. I don't salt the oysters because it makes them tough. I don't let the milk boil because it curdles if you do. Just have to watch it and take it off just as soon as the milk starts to form bubbles around the edges, stirring it as soon as you put the oysters in the milk.