Replies

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    B)
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,989 Member
    Options
    :) I just got a call to schedule me with a local doctor for more nerve studies for my legs. Neither my doctor nor my husband and I were very impressed or satisfied with the findings of the doctor I went to last month. The appointment is in January so there will be more time with opportunities to learn patience and moderation.

:) Clothing storage is not a problem for me. What I say about myself is that the only people who have fewer clothes than I have, are the people who have all their belongings in a shopping cart. My clutter is paperwork, computer files, CDs, and photos.

:) The latkes were a great hit with my friend who had never had them. Because oil is such a big part of the Hanukkah story, I cook my latkes in olive oil and enjoy every bite.

<3 Barbie
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Welcome back Cherie.

Sylvia, I didn't know you were part of a chemistry department. my only maternal aunt's husband was a Chemistry professor at MSU. He was Dean at Dekalb before that. He was Russian, spoke Russian, Chinese (the family escaped the Reds to Shanghai, French (where he got his BA) and English (got his MA and PhD at U of Iowa where he met my aunt).

Got my day bed today and got it put together. Now my spine hurts. It is taller than I anticipated, but looks good. Now I need less bedroomy linens.kmlnklquvfov.jpg
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Rain, rain, rain, rain, rain! arrrrrrrrrrg! Was suppose to have my interview today but there was a wreck on the freeway so even though I left early to get there I could not make it in time and the attorney had another appointment right after mine so had to go back home. Rescheduled for Friday but I've been thinking that this may not be the right job for me. I think things happen for a reason. :s

One of my goals for this month is to smile and laugh more and I have been really working on that - except when stuck in traffic on the way to an interview - I tried but couldn't even fake one then - anyway it has been working. Eventually I hope it will just be normal and not a conscious decision. Ane starting out the day with AFV has been working - how can anyone argue when you're laughing! :p

Michelle NC - I keep meaning to ask where you get all those exercise DVDs. Are they yours or do you get them from the library?

DrKatie - I'm sure those who have been on forever know the answer to this but I don't - are you an MD or a PHD?

Took DGS#1 to pre-op appointment today - they are yanking out his tonsils and adenoids on Monday. His tonsils are the size of bratwurst and constantly has post nasal drip. With all the times I had him to the doctor for strep tests it took a new doctor to say that his tonsils look like they've been swollen for years. I am not looking forward to this because the doctor said to expect a very cranky child and I was thinking how can he be any more cranky than he already is. Please pray for me that I survive this without losing my mind! Oh yeah - smile and laugh free-rolleye-smileys-724.gif pulling-hair.gifforehead-slap-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5X5

Squats-1X5X 65/75/85/95/105/115, 5X5X 120
    Sumo squats-5X5X105
    BP- 1X5X 45/55/65/75, 5X5X 80
    BR- 5X5X 90

Personal record for BP of 80 and BR of 90 pounds.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Lenora wrote "Pip34 - I've never know anyone other than my Mother who could reach around and fasten her bra. I end up buckling mine in front and rotating it around to the back and then putting my arms in the arms of the bra. Not so bad, unless bra is a little snug; or if you haven't dried off completely. I usually use my hair dryer to dry my back so this won't happen." I have always reached behind my back to fasten my bra, just seems like a lot less hasssle :)

I went to water aerobics early, went by Ulta (makeup/fragance/etc. store) as I had a 20% off coupon. Bought myself , for Jack to give me for Christmas, a bottle of La Vie est Belle perfume. Julia Roberts advertises it on TV. I love it. Came home and wrapped all the Christmas presents I have so far, had to run down to the Dollar Tree to get a few more boxes. When I finished wrapping I rode the stationary bike for 30 min. By that time it wasn't long until time to fix dinner. I'm worn out :) Back to water aerobics early in the morning, then will come home and bake more cookies and put them in the freezer.

Love to all,

Janetr OKC
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,397 Member
    Options
    Did 30 minutes of HIIT on the elliptical (30 sec sprint, 30 sec recovery) then 15 minutes on the rowing machine. the plan for tomorrow is to do a Biggest Loser Weight Loss challenge DVD. Then we have a Newcomer general meeting.

Mary - my oven can be a convection oven, but I think I've used that once. I really don't know much at all about using a convection oven. I remember my MIL used to love hers. The cake mix I used was mine from scratch. By a "coated pan" do you mean a teflon coating? All the pans that I had that had teflon on them, I got rid of. Unfortunately, I don't have an oven thermometer. That's probably something I should get. What brand would he recommend?

Alison - feel better fast. Later - so glad you do

Have Rummikub tonight. I'm planning to wear my elf costume. I do wish the lady had made it earlier and then we'd have been able to put in a zipper.

After exercise went to Food Lion. Before exercise went to WalMart then Vince told me I'd gotten the wrong thing, only that's what he told me to get yesterday. Oh well...guess I'll just return it. After Food Lion went to Big Lots to get Vince some bread then stopped in at Burke's Outlet. Was looking for underwear for Colby but instead found a pair of baby doll pajamas for me 50% off. Totally forgot to take my aluminum to the Humane Society. Guess I'll do that Friday since the plan is to be that way.

kimses - good luck on those exams!

drkatiebug - yes, the kits tell you what colors to use where. One time I deviated from what they told you, and to this day I regret it. I find the hardest type of xstitch to do is the one that has the pattern stamped on the cloth. Supposedly (note the word) the color comes out when you wash the item. It doesn't always and if you didn't cover the ink, it's there for everyone to see. That's one reason I like the Aida (I think that's how it's spelled) cloth

Gotta go to Rubbikub. Be back later

DJ - maybe that's what I should do, increase my plank by 1 minute. Last time I increased by 5 minutes. Normally, I don't mind going grocery shopping later in the day, but not at this time of year!

Kathy from CA - there's ALWAYS room for one more, so make yourself at home.

Dee - wow! 50 years. That's some accomplishment. Welcome to our family. So sorry about your mother

katla - I still marvel at how my grandmother was able to leave her family, move to a totally different country with a different language, yet she managed to raise a family of 5 during the depression. It's interesting, a few years ago I read a book "50 Ways To Save The Earth". Interesting thing was....most everything that was mentioned in the book was what my grandmother did!

Terri in Milwaukee - have fun at the concert

Rori - It never dawned on me how young you were in age. I know you're young at heart.

Lenora - that's the way I put on a bra!!!

Miriam - love how your one cat at thinks your bed is adorable, too.

Gloria - a lot of the DVD's I own, and some of them I download from this one site. However, they've changed and there are only certain ones I can download. Plus, I don't think people are posting decent videos (at least not all ). Prayers for your son. How old is he?

Went to Rummikub. It was nice that it was right around my block. Most of the time I have to drive to get to the game, so this was nice. She's a good hostess, but I only had 2 cups of tea.

Michele in NC
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Mary - Congrats on your achievement, way to go. You are such an inspiration to us all.

Janetr OKC
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,097 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • mtowne002
    mtowne002 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    janetr7476 wrote: »
    Beth - I too love teacups. I'm always picking them up in all sorts of shapes and size and colors. I love to go to "tea" at our tea houses and pretend :)

Oh Joyce you sly one, throwing in that last quip. Poor Syliva :)

Heather I have so enjoyed your pictures and descriptions of the south of France. Thanks for taking time to share with us. I'm really trying not to stress. I'm going to start cooking and baking and freezing for both the holidays with the family here at home and for the trip to AZ. I can't possibly take enough precooked food for a month so I am just going to do some things that I would not normally do in the motor home. Other than that, it will be simple meals made in the RV. That's when I really have to watch the food tho, it's so easy to eat things not particularly good for me and to snack on junk. There is a heated pool at the RV Park we're staying at so I will be taking a couple of swimsuits and my water hand weights and plan to go most every morning. I'll have to be careful for sure.

Janetr OKC
    bwcetc wrote: »
    Becca ...that took a long time! I thought first class mail moved faster than that!

Janetr... I remember now!

Beth

Hi Ladies,
    Happy day today mostly...started off w breaking into the 220's. 229.5 to be exact. I'll take it! That's an official 25 pounds since Aug 6. I would Love LOVE to be under 220 for my departure Feb 8 for Florida for 12 days. That's almost nine weeks away. That's my new goal. I am going down to see my son in Fort Meyers tues the 8th till sat the 12th, picking up my SIL (she more importantly my best friend) and we are driving through the Everglades for the day and spending the night in Homestead just outside of Miami at the tip of Florida. Then Sunday we are driving through the Keys all the way to the end and staying in Key West for six nights! Anyone down that way? Has anyone travelled to any of those places and could make suggestions? We mostly do excursions such as Kayakking, horseback riding (but might not this time as she may not make the typical weight limit this time), we will try snorkeling though I am afraid of sharks wicked, and day walks through sanctuaries and botanical gardens. We want to go on a sunset cruise too but haven't decided on the type of boat yet. The International Boat Festival is that week a few island back towards the mainland. We will prob spend a day checking that out even though neither of us are boaters I suspect it will be an interesting and beautiful spectacle. I am quite enamored w giant sea turtles and would love to see some. Two years ago we swam with a herd of manatee on the crystal river in a sanctuary where we had special permits. Last year we went to California's Big Sur, went to Pfifer falls (it's a special waterfall that empties onto a beach and travels through protected amethyst beds so the beach has swirls of purple sand. Quite beautiful. We rode horses on Monterey Beach and Kayakked in Elkhorn Slough just north of Monterey where we paddled through groups of sea lions and were cicled by sea otters. They are much bigger than you might think. Great trips. Jeez ewe saw a play too and I CRS anyway it was fun. Oh and if you go out that way check out Cannery Row. A big but quaint shopping district on the seaside where we ate at Bubba Gumps and pedaled a surrey bike built for two to Lovers point and sat and watched whales playing and spouting off shore. I kid you not! Nice times. Ah well thanks for letting me reminisce.

Allison I'm glad your doing better.

Katla, oh the Dopey Joe tales are just pawing to be told. He was the neighborhood escape and BREak IN artist. Once we didn't realize he was gone till a police car drove up the street towing him by a rope outside held by the passenger officer. Had to attend a town council over that incident. And there were more...

Mirriam? Love the day sleigh bed.

Lastly, though I had so many thoughts in mind but as I mentioned I have CRS...has anyone heard from Penny?

Goodnight gals can't wait to read you early am girls posts over my late morning coffee!

Boston Mindy
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Well, I have had a couple of my TOPS ladies call me saying they miss me there. So I had a good long talk with myself and this is what I came up with:

New Rules for my TOPS club

1. Weigh in and don't stress on the whos, the whats and the why of other members weight loss. It's not my concern or business.

2. Be acceptable of everyone. I don't know the whole story of others. I have no right to pre-judge them.

3. Have fun with my ladies! Realize that what brought me to TOPS originally, doesn't apply now. I don't need mental support, I need validation, accountability, and the friendship of women. Apart from those items I stand strong and capable.

4. Realize that attending TOPS is a journey. It doesn't however, predetermine my week. My weight will fluctuate, but my resolve to commit to this lifelong journey stands firm.

5. Accept that I will have good days and bad days, but slip-ups happen, just like life happens. I will remember to get back to my normal constant. The hum of my body and mind working at their best together. That will be my daily goal. To feel that feeling of balance.

After I wrote all those points in my journal I felt like a Power Ranger! I am more stronger than I realize. I got this.

You all keep doing your mauvalous selfs. You make healthy things, and turn down bread in FRANCE. I am in awe of each and every one of yous! I will post my Advent Calendar bits for today and tomorrow, tomorrow. I have had a long day!
    Becca
    Oregon...that is so soggy we are dripping on everything!
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Yes.....Becca the Power ranger! I love your new resolve. It is hard to give up old friends.

Barbie, while on your car trip, remember what I said quite a while ago. I just turn my Pandora onto 60's cardio and 'dance' while sitting in the front seat. My husband thinks I am crazy but that's OK. It make me feel good and alive. Hope he has a good appointment. Glad you are seeing another doctor.

Allison, so glad you are feeling better, now pass whatever you took to katla so she can feel better also.

Miriam, love the bed. And I don't think you have to many linens. If you are using it as a day bed that will be used as a sofa during the day and bed at night, it is just fine. If you are using it as a sofa, I personally don't like all the pillows and my floor isn't big enough to throw them all down on for the night. I especially like the decoration sitting in the middle of the bed. Made herself quite at home.

Sylvia, you don't know that was a male mouse that was in that trap. It might have been a female and she was pregnant and she was just trying to eat well to feed her young. You might have killed some precious, cute little baby mice. Now don't you feel bad????

I just love to hear the stories of how determined these Jews or others had to be to have escaped the Nazis. I think I could sit and listen to one of those old people all day long. They deserved to be revered and never forgotten.

Well I had my 2 Christmas parties today. I didn't even try to write down what I ate. for lunch I just put down 1000 calories. The choir party was catered and I did eat fairly decently. I don't know what kind of sauce was on the chicken breast I did try to scrape some of it off. I had a nice lettuce salad/ranch dressing. small red potatoes and California blend veggies and a small piece of carrot cake. and they were cut small! For lunch the chicken tenders were breaded and I think were baked so I only ate one but it was big. I left the cheesy potato casserole off and also the bread and butter. I did eat a deviled egg to get some protein in. We asked in Sunday about bringing salads and teacher said to bring desert, they had everything else taken care of. No salads except a cranberry relish and the eggs. So, lots of deserts. And you know Baptists, We are known for meet and eat. I did eat my usual bedtime snack of cottage cheese and pineapple. So I was a bad girl today. I will not be a bad girl tomorrow. We played a bingo game at the Sunday school lunch and everyone gets a prize and the cover all gets a larger prize. I think they get them all and the bags at Dollar Tree. At the choir party we did some silly skits. I am one that loves to read or speak with quite a dramatic flare if called for. I love to read books to children. So I was the waitress at the Bethlehem Bistro which was a modern day spoof on the 3 wise men following the star. This told the story of their wives out eating while their husbands were on this business trip. The wives were terrible tippers and bad customers and I had to be the waitress that had to take care of them. We also had to make a many words of 3 letters or more out of Merry Christmas. That is probably typical game at a Christmas party. The winner got 66 words, I got 36!

Oh, the chocolate chip, cream cheese monkey bread wasn't all it was hyped up to be. I don't know if I didn't make the dough balls small enough or what but from what I tasted, I didn't like them.

Welcome to Dee and East Bay Gal. One ting people haven't mentioned is the lovely white areas on the other sides of our posts. That's where all of our vents go. Some one comes by every night in cyberland and just sweeps them away. So any kind of frustrations, vents, mad at yourself, anything, just post it. There is always room for anything here.

Joyce, Indiana

• MimiPersists
    MimiPersists Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I’ve been away from the 50+ thread for a few months. There are so many new faces! Hello to the (few) familiar ones and the (many) new ones. I will do my best to catch up with December but will probably be in and out. It’s a lovely thread but so big!

Mia, lovely picture of you and the colored glass.

Rori, you (and your hubby) are really going through it. You have stepped up to a very big challenge even though it’s not easy. Well done. And well done to have kept exercising while helping him. Sending hugs and prayers for clean margins.

I was happy to read your latest post, “I’m in a better mood today after getting a wonderful performance review at work. My boss gave me higher ratings than I gave myself. I feel very supported by her. Validation of my contributions on the job could not have come at a better time.” Kudos!

Barbie, thinking about you and the leg problem. Your doctor’s recommendation of B12 sounds good – although I’m glad you’re pursuing other doctors as well. Re the B12, the methylated variety is a good choice as some people can’t process the non-methyl variety well. Also, alpha-lipoic acid has been used in Europe to treat peripheral neuropathy for many years with good success. Neuropathy is no fun. (All 4 of my siblings and I have it to varying degrees.) I hope yours improves soon.

Congrats, Pip, on Kirby’s progress. You can tell how he’s feeling by that great big smile.

Heather, I’m enjoying your trip vicariously. Beautiful pics!

Meg, sending hugs and hope for fast healing.

Becca, great advent calendar!!

Sylvia, thank you for the “As I Get Older…” poster. Loved it.

Janet, I read, with a shiver, about your husband checking to make sure the goats were safe from coyotes. We have 6 goats. (I just enjoy looking…my Son-in-law and DGD’s take care of them.) My SIL walks the several-hundred-foot fence line between the goat pen and the neighbor’s property pretty often. He said the fence line is lined with coyote poop.

He keeps the fence nice and tight but coyotes are always a concern. I can just picture them outside the pen, drooling over the possibilities. I probably shouldn’t feel this way but I put them in the same category as mosquitos. Plain nuisances and I refuse to see any good in them!

Sue, naughty horses! I’m sorry…I couldn’t stop myself from laughing. (Just a little mind you. I didn’t have to clean up the mess!)

Miriam and Elaine, and others who wrote about the Jews in Germany during Hitler’s regime…I remember reading the Diary of Anne Frank way back in high school and the story of Corrie ten Boom. The thought of what happened is soul wrenching. I agree that there is so much now that is scary.

My nephew and his wife just took in a foster child who is a refugee from Africa. She lost most of her family in the fighting there. I don’t know the cause of such evil, but I pray for the little ones, and the innocent ones, to be safe (even knowing that the evil will continue to exist).

Gloworm, I feel for you and especially for your DGS who’s having his tonsils out. My daughter had a foster child a couple of years ago that had to have his out. It was not fun. Poor little guy. Tonsil-free, your DGS should be feeling better soon. Keep smiling. (You’ve got me practicing smiling more too.)

I just realized how many of us MFPers have health problems of one kind or another. My mom, who will turn 90 next month, refuses, fairly vociferously, to engage in or listen to lengthy organ recitals (as she calls them). There’s some sense to that sensibility! (But it’s hard not to share. Come to think of it, it’s probably healthy to do some sharing.)

I'm happy to report that I tracked all my food today. That's the first time in awhile that I made it all the way through the day. It helps keep me accountable and aware.

Nightey nite.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,369 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Mimic - :flowerforyou : Many, many welcomes back! I've missed you! Please stay with us this time. <3

Rori - I thought I liked you and now I find out you are not even 60 yet! !!!!!! Don't like you any more. :'(:'(

Barbie - I always thought I had the least clothes of anyone I knew. You may win though. I only buy something if I really need it or love it. Then I try to throw something out. When I met my DH I couldn't believe how many clothes he had!

We were woken up this morning by a very noisy street sweeper truck going by under our window in the alleyway. At 6.33! They sweep the streets in the historic quarter every day and wash them down. It is spotless. However, the poorer areas don't get the same treatment. :*;) Like most countries there is a big division between rich and poor areas, but it always seems worse to me in France. The old, historic city centres are beautifully kept and so are rural villages and the countryside. Very picturesque! But the suburbs and the approach to large towns are a dumping ground for the dispossessed. All in huge apartment complexes. Lots and lots of retail parks that are a blot on the landscape. Luckily I can't see them from here. :laugh: But when we get on the trams we can.

Karen and Becca - I didn't pass on the hot bread, I just had a very small portion of the crusty end. Heaven! I count myself lucky to be among that group of people Gretchen Ruben calls "moderators". (THE HAPPINESS PROJECT) That means I am satisfied with just having a taste of something. :D What a blessing! I know for some of you that would not work at all, so I count myself extremely fortunate. Yesterday I tried a sliver of DH's tarte au citron. Just as well as he had diarrhoea very badly last night and that's the only thing he ate that I didn't. He is feeling poorly this morning and not eating at all, so we have postponed our trip to the seaside cathedral. No problem. I think it is market day there, so probably not the best day to go anyway. He is still in bed as I write. :'(

I'm happy to have a "pottering" day. In fact my knees are a bit stiff. Yesterday I did some strength and yoga exercises and might do the same again. I brought my elastic bands with me to keep my muscles toned. :D

To those with mangers - I have a teeny Mexican one that I have added very tiny French figures to, called 'santons'. They are people from an old village in historical dress, so you get the onion seller, the mayor, the blacksmith etc. The full size ones were always put out in churches. You can Google SANTONS. They were originally from Provence. I got mine by mail order from Nice.

Love to all. Off to stretch a few bands.
    Heather
  • GloworminWA
    Options
    For a long time I wondered what Michelle was talking about when she said she was "holding a plank" - well I was completely wrong so in case any of you are plank challenged like me here is a picture: n0d0gpbzkmhv.jpg

And here's a little funny for Terri_mom: bowling-fall-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • GloworminWA
    Options
    Katla I'm going to learn that folding for my grandson's clothes. It's so frustrating when I fold their clothes and then they pull something out from under other folded things and everything ends up a big mess. This way they would be able to see everything and not have to look under stuff. You get the Best Tip Of The Day Award from me!won-the-trophy-smiley-emoticon.gif

Rori I had to laugh at the Big 6 0. Next April I will be 70 so what the heck am I going to call it since 60 is the Big? Maybe the Lucky to be Alive 7 0? rolling-lol.gif
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,818 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    well I rolled over in bed to get up and wowza pulled a muscle in my shoulder blade! Swell just what I need 2 days before we leave..
    The good Lord is sure throwing a wrench into the monkey works isn't he..
    I am taking the day off from going to see DFIL, and will go see him in the morning.. I have a laundry list of stuff I have to do tomorrow being my day off.have to get some cards to put gift cards in,have to get my hair cut and stop at Sams and get a big bag of candy for the CNA's and nurses that take care of Buddy
    then stop at a store for one of the residents down at th the nursing homes
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Terri ~ Happy Late Birthday! :)

Miriam ~ Love your bed and especially the comforter and shams. They remind me of Laura Ashley.

Carol
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,369 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Here is a photo of the street with the baker. It says Boulangerie, Patisserie, Artisanale.

q7iv10swdmsp.jpg

DH felt well enough for a stroll so we went out in the sunshine and wandered around. I bought stamps from the post office for the grandkids' funny postcards. <3 Then we strolled round a park. Back now. He will only be eating bread and water for lunch. :'(

Heather
  • Elaine352962
    Elaine352962 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Everyone. Had a great day yesterday with the grandchildren, spent a lot of the time putting things back onto the tree. The 2yr old thought it was great fun giving nana the baubles and crackers to put back onto the tree. The 6 month old spent most of the time looking at the lights from his playpen. He has started rolling everywhere so the playpen is the safest place for him with all his toys.

Best wishes to everyone, have a great day.

Love the photo sent in by Heather, they must be having a fabulous time.