WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2015

Options

Replies

• miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    The reason I need more tailored bedding is that the day bed is in my living room and will function as a sofa during the day. My house basically has only two bedrooms, upstairs. There is a small room that was made in to a "bedroom" out of part of the wrap around porch, but it is narrow, has no heat or air and is cold in winter, and the floor slopes since porch floors slope. There is a two inch difference. I have tried using it as a bedroom, but felt like I was rolling out of bed all night long and it is too narrow to position the bed at the other direction. I wanted the two girls to have separate bedrooms- they have very different personalities and were such good buddies (the older basically raised the younger) that I did not want them to start developing conflicts as their interests diverge. So I opted to put my bed in the LARGE living room. My living room is basically the front and back parlors with the wall removed (you can see the remnants of the wall on the walls and ceiling, and the flooring changes. In Victorian times, the front parlor was ONLY for guests, and the finest you could afford was used in there. Anyway, the room is so large that I have always used it basically as front and back parlors, having a sitting area in the front half, and an office area in the back (I worked from home for years). So before I had the daybed, I just had my mattress on the floor in the office area so it wasn't so visible. So now I have the day bed set up in the living room as a couch. So it needs to look less like a bed and more like a day bed/ couch. I ordered dark gray shams and a bedskirt (it has no openings at the corners so I am going to have to make a small alteration). I think I will end up making a cover that fits down over the mattress for during the day out of a solid or stripe upholstery fabric and make a bolster in the same fabric for along the back.

The kitty is George. SHE is about three, one of the stray kittens that the girls found and adopted. She is named George after that old cartoon of the Big Foot character holding daffy duck saying "I will hold him and kiss him and call him George!"
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,733 Member
    Options
    miriamwithcats - yeah, I saw that it was in your living room, but I guess I love the the "bedroom" look in your living room, not to mention that I loved the colors and pattern on there. I guess I am weird that way. it's just Purdy, love the Victorian look
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Terri: You have a fun with your tiara! :flowerforyou:

Alison: I'm glad you're feeling better. I'm feeling a bit better this morning, too. I hope it lasts for both of us. :smiley:

Rori: We have an ancient manger scene that belonged to DH's family and have put it out for years, but it is staying in the box this year. It never occurred to me to add a kitty or a dog. If you take the Reiki course next month I hope you'll tell us all about it. I've never had Reiki but DH has in the distant past. :flowerforyou:

Sylvia: The baked potato bar at your hubby's work is such a good idea that they may want to make it a tradition. :flowerforyou:

Miriam: Your day bed looks cozy and appealing. :heart:

Becca: Your comments on the TOPS group make a lot of sense. I hope you are happy with your decision. :flowerforyou:

Mimi: It is so good to see your posts! :heart:

Heather: Sorry to hear that your DH has a tummy upset today. I, too, am a moderator because of the long list of things I can't eat. I have learned portion control during this journey, and it is working out quite well for me, too. I love the photo of the French town. The street looks like a narrow alley to me. It is very different and also appealing. :flowerforyou:

Gloria: The folding tip did not come from me, but it seems wonderful. Was it from Dr. Katie? :huh:

Beth: I also prefer not to watch the nightly news. I had enough of it as a young teen watching the Vietnam War at dinner every night. :noway:

Rosa: Welcome. :flowerforyou:

Margaret: Keeping you and your DH in my prayers. :heart:

Penny: Your advent candle is lovely. I'm happy that you're posting again. You were missed! :flowerforyou:

Lisa: I'm happy that you're back with us. :flowerforyou:

Betty: Good luck finding just the right place to celebrate your anniversary. My cousin has become a "snowbird" in Arizona and loves it there. I'm not sure what their weather forecast is for January. :flowerforyou:

I am feeling better this morning but not enough better to go to yoga. The headache is mostly gone and I am dressed in something other than jammies for the first time in a couple of days. I am beginning to feel optimistic that we will be able to visit DS & DDIL as planned this weekend. DH wants to take stocking stuffers for them. Ideas for stuffing items for adults will be appreciated. Help!

Katla in wet NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

December Goals :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Pip, in reality, I rarely have adults over to my home. Lots of kids but they don't care that my bed is in the living room! The upholstery cover may sit in a drawer until someone is invited over! I am also up and down a lot all day since the arthritis in my hips and lower spine require me to get flat off and on all day. Good thing I like to read! I do feel really blessed to have this house. It is not in great shape, but the original craftsmanship is just incredible. The moldings around windows and doors are different in different parts of the house- in the living room the top block is a daisy instead of a bull's eye (had to be handcarved). The kitchen and dining room have a bull's eye with a triangle on top that has a rising sun carved in it. The front hall and upstairs hall have a different bull's eye with the triangle having a leaf motif. The front bedroom, for the children, has a very simple bull's eye. And the master bedroom has yet a different bull's eye with a CROWN above it! There is a great newel post and really different bannisters on the stairs- squared with cross bars and carving in all along the edge. The hinges, face plates, and striker plates on the doors are all decorated. For someone like me that loves hand work, this is just heaven.
    17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Rosa: welcome to the group, wonderful women!!!! I don't chat often but do read everyday.

Love the mice stories. We had a cat that would bring home mice as a gift. We were leaving for a trip, DH opens the door n there's the cat with a gift. I heard this girly scream, suitcases out the door n DH running upstairs screaming. My Dh as a child was walking threw a field, stepped in a nest of field mice. Ran up his leg got stuck in his jeans, couldn't get the jeans off . Poor kid, still afraid of mice.

Hugs to all n prayers.
    Gayle Minneapolis
  • miakoda40
    miakoda40 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Miriam, your house sounds amazing. I love old wood work.
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,895 Member
    Options
    Happy national brownie day everyone! I think I will bake some pumpkin or black bean brownies. Brownies with a little veggie or protein in them. Is that rationalization or what? LOL

Miriam - I like your daybed. We are looking for one for our guest room.

I walked back along our trail to the pond in the rain of course. The ground was not as soggy as I thought it might be and I found a small stream where the water is draining off and a tiny waterfall that has not been there before. Very peaceful. The pond is growing. It was quite small this summer when we moved in because the weather was unusually dry. It is beautiful now though even in the cloudy, wet weather.

Lisa and Mimi - Good to see you both again.

Pip - Enjoy Seattle, you and Kirby deserve it!

Katla - Thanks for the video. When we were showing horses there was a guy who had a palomino nicknamed Houdini because he would untie himself from the trailer and go wandering around the showgrounds visiting.

I have a ceramic manger scene that my college roommate made for me. I put it up every year, especially now to remember her as she died of breast cancer several years ago. Good memories and sad too.

Healing angels to all who need them and congratulations to those with victories, Sue in WA with flood warnings.
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Becca – Good job making the decision on TOPS. I know you will enjoy it. You're the best :)

Mimi – as it was, thank goodness, no goats were injured. They looked for and repaired a place in the fence where they thot perhaps the coyotes were entering. They came two nights in a row, ugh.

Heather, unfortunately I am among those that can't take a bite and stop. I truly am a foodaholic and one bite and I'm gone. Glad you aren't among us. It sounds like you are having a wonderful time. I loved the picture of the bakery. So so different from here and just what I picture in my head. Thanks for sharing with us. Sending good vibes to DH, hope he gets feeling better quickly. I too have a lovely manger scene that a I cherish I will have to look up Santons.

Margaret – certainly sounds like you got a lot accomplished. Prayers going up on DHs biopsy. Hope it goes as well as can be expected.

Penny – so glad to see all is well, if a bit crazy, in your part of the world. I have so say the mouse story cracked me up. Had a mouse ran up my leg, I doubt I would be here to relate the story. I'm sure I would have died of heart failure. Beautiful arrangement for your candle. Thanks for sharing :)

Lisa – we are sooooooooooooo glad to see you back. This is the best place to be. I agree with you about GBS support groups. Just because they remove and/or rearrange your insides, the addiction cannot be surgically removed. We love you and we have missed you and are so very glad you are back.

Elaine – wonderful mouse story. I'm a little lost as to what a “council house” and “council workers” are?

Pip – enjoy your weekend, you both deserve it.

Janetr OKC

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,823 Member
    Options
    I am at work until 6,having a hard time taking a full breath in,will take a muscle relaxer and heating pad tonight, have to get up early tomorrow and bake my dad a pecan pie,picked up cards and forgot envelopes for 2 of them :/ oh well.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,372 Member
    Options
    OK ladies, this is a short one.
    I went out on my own :) and had a mulled wine UNDER AN UMBRELLA ! ! Yeah me! Then I walked around and around , getting totally lost until I found a restaurant I recognised. I went in, sat down, ordered a drink and realised the music was too loud and I didn't fancy anything on the menu. I made my excuses and left. How embarrassing!
    Then in the next square I found a place I was actually looking for. I was rattling the wrong door when the waiter came out and offered me a free glass of champagne! I went in. NO MUSIC! Bliss! :D I relaxed and had two seafood dishes. Marvellous! The staff were sooooooo eccentric, but it didn't matter, I was happy and relaxed.Superb evening. I'm so glad I walked out of the first place. Also TINY bill. I think they forgot half of it! :laugh:

Came home to DH moaning about his awful indigestion. :'( I am sympathetic, but sooooooo happy I went out on my own. >:)

Love to all. CARPE DIEM. Yes, I mean you. <3:D

Love Heather
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,995 Member
    Options
    :)Becca, when I read your wise words to yourself about going back to TOPS it reminded me of what someone told me in a similar situation, "Think about what you can bring to the event, rather than what you can get out of it."

:)Joyce, I loved your idea of seated dancing in the car while traveling.

:)Mimi, I miss you when I don't hear from you. I'm glad you're checking in again.

:) Gloria, I am close to my 70th birthday. A friend of mine had lied about her age for so long that when she had her 70 birthday nobody noticed and her feelings were hurt but everyone thought she was younger.

:)Heather, you vacation is like a journey through picture postcards. Good for you going out by yourself when your hubby was under the weather.

:)Beth, I never watch the news or pay attention to on the internet and if anyone on MFP mentions anything about the news, I skip over their posts.

:)Betty, our anniversary is in January ,too....for our 25th anniversary we went a nearby city and stayed in a hotel and went to two ice hockey games.....some friends of ours planned a weeklong trip to Maui for their anniversary and got there during a week with a lot of rain. Good idea to make a plan for somewhere with lots to do indoors.

:)MIriam, I love your bed whether it's in the living room or a bedroom.

Jake had a doctor's appointment this morning an hour and a half from here so we headed out early, saw the doctor, had lunch at Red Lobster (brought home a doggie bag for supper), and are home safely. He has to go back for more tests in January but that appointment won't be on a line dance day. :)

<3 Barbie
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Heather ~ so nice that you made the effort to go out by yourself and sit down in a restaurant to eat. I know it is silly, but I would never do that.

N Pole Penny ~ glad you are back. Your life sounds so interesting but also hectic.

Cooking a huge amount of chicken breast in the electric pressure cooker for the Pom. Somehow, we spoiled him to the point that all he will eat is lean meat and a little cheese. Every once in a while, he will eat a bit of dry food but that is usually when he thinks we are going somewhere (a nervous reaction). We are giving him a vitamin that the vet recommended to replace some of the nutrients he isn't getting from the meat.

Carol
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Mimi "long organ recitals" lmao.gif

Just as I went to post this the power went out. Schools were all closed as power did not come back on until 8am. I couldn't sleep because I was worried about my freezer. :s
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Heather -That's terrific. Not sure I'd be brave enough to go out on my own. Good for you!
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    We did not have an Advent wreath this year. Actually 3 purple candles; and one pink candle in a wreath of greenery. One burned 4 Sundays before Christmas; 2 and 3 added to the following Sundays and the pink one for the Sunday before Christmas. Occasionally, that pink candle gets burned on Christmas Day.

I also have a couple of sets of Angels that I got from my Mother; I really don't think of them as "Christmas" decorations as they are out all year 'watching over us'.
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,433 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Sorry, I have been MIA. I have read all the posts but only time for a few comments, as I am off to bed.

Mia I have been using this folding method for years but was mostly putting clothes in piles. I use the vertical method for my underwear, so think I will roll it out to the rest of my clothes. I have read a lot of her ideas on Pinterest.

Heather I love your travelogue. France is one of my favourite holiday destinations.

Barbie I feel the same about dancing. No matter how much my hip hurt, I could forget it when I was dancing. Now, with the new hip, I can even do the figure of eight in the rumba again.

Miriam I recently found out that some of DHs ancestors may have been Russian Jews who were hounded out of Russia in the late 1800s. (Researching family histories). They changed their name when they arrived in the North of England. I knew there was a Russian connection in my own family too, and it seems they also may have been Jewish. No one really knows what their antecedents are. We should all try and celebrate the commonality we share rather than the differences.

Sylvia Hooray for the capture of the 'timorous beastie' which was so fond of the nibbles you put out for him/her. I hope your venture is successful.

Week 1 Update.

Daily Goals
    :star: Pre-log/follow through 7/7
    :star: balance carbs/protein/fat 7/7
    :star: 8+ cups liquids 7/7
    :star: 30+ minutes each Strength/flexibility 7/7
    :star: 6000+ steps daily 7/7
    :star: finish eating at 9pm 5/7 days per week 7/7
    :star: finish eating at 10pm 2/7 days of my choosing per week: I didn't use my late extensions so far
    :star: post daily goals/progress - Just for Today 5/7
    :star: post progress - No Late Night Snacking 7/7
    :star: complete Hogwarts challenges 7/7
    :star: Post weekly progress reports here :sunglasses:Done!

No weight loss for Week 1. Too much temptation as all my activity groups were in festive mood and had brought goodies to end of semester meetings. Things are easing off, but I have to get my butt in gear for Christmas.

:heart: Healing thoughts and prayers to those who need them! :heart:

:sunglasses: Welcome to our Newbies. Sit a spell! :sunglasses:

:star: Let your light shine out in the darkness :star:

w81hz7cecq7u.jpeg
    :star::)smiley-happy110.gif:):star:

Irish Terri harp.gif
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    MFP Advent Calendar
    Dec. 8th~ The Joyful left their flocks and then they started following
    the shining star that would lead them, to see the newborn King.

Dec 9th~ And in another region were three Magi old and wise. They too looked on the gleaming
    star, for it brought them no surprise.

Well Pip I have told a couple in my inner circle of TOPS friends that walk (or did walk before the rains came) about my reasons. Some of my reasons stem from the personalities of some of the ladies, and for that I don't want them to ever find out. I'm not one who intentionally wishes to make waves or make people feel bad about themselves. I just have to learn to take them with a grain of salt.

Well having confessed that I would attend, I looked at our finances, and I will wait until the new year to pay up my dues, and attend. It's just a bit scary for me to look at our checkbook and see less than $60 and so much of the month still to go. Also, I gave my husband a back rub last night, (with coconut oil even!) so didn't fall asleep until midnight. I woke up with such a headache and a feeling that I needed more sleep!

Great words Barbie! I like that phrase!

Becca
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding.

Good Evening Ladies.

Rori, good for you in getting the Reiki course if that is something you've been wanting to do. And don't worry about the big 6 oh, it really didn't hurt at all.

Sylvia, congrats on the dead mouse! I too hope he was a loner. lol The potatoes sound like a great idea.

Kimses, congrats on starting the new exercise routine. Good luck on continuting it with wonderful results.

Lenora, now you know 3 people that can fasten their bras in the back. lol

Barbie, I sure hope the next round of tests will have better results than the last. Hang in there. (((Hugs)))

Miriam, the new day bed is beautiful!!! I'm sure you will enjoy it for years to come.

Gloria, sorry about the traffic on the way to the interview, but don't read too much into it. Sometimes bad traffic is just bad traffic and not a sign of anything. Go to the interview with an open mind. Now to teach you to smile at horrible traffic? eh gonna have to work on that one.

MicheleNC, I hope you meant to increase your plank by 1 second and not 1 minute. That would be a jump!

Lisa, so glad to hear from you and about what's been going on with you. I understand all that you said and just want to offer a ((((((Hug))))).

Elaine, hilarious story!!!

Pip, I hope you both enjoy Seattle and the walk/run/roll. I'm just so happy you are eacch able to go.

Betty, I just hope you have a wonderful anniversary no matter where you are that day.

Katla, glad you are feeling a little better. Sending healing thoughts for a total recovery.

Allison, that doesn't sound good that you are having a hard time taking a full breath. Please take care of yourself.

Heather, so glad you walked out of the first place, too. Great that you ventured out on your own but sorry for DH.

When my friend and I woke up this morning it was a bit cool so I went to turn the heat up and found it was off. I checked the breaker box but that was not the problem. My friend called the HVAC guy and they sent someone out about 8:30. It seems she has had a bit of trouble witht the system which is only 9 years old. Anyway the man found burnt wires in a relay box at the unit which is in the attic. Thank goodness there was no fire with my friend still not too mobile after her hip replacement surgery. The system will be replaced tomorrow. Her daughter will be back tomorrow so I'll be going home. It has been a week today since her surgery and she is doing great!

I hope you all have a happy and healthy day.

Words I live by:
    Savor: I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    Opportunity: Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.

Love you, <3
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC