WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2015

Options

Replies

• Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Mindy ~ How pretty you are in your sky blue t-shirt and what a lovely outdoor scene.

Heather ~ Sorry for your tooth ache. I had a cracked tooth one time after the doctor removed one of my wisdom teeth. He kept giving me pain pills thinking it would go away. I finally went to the office crying my eyes out and at last he checked and found the cracked tooth. Replaced it with a crown.

Heather ~ Thanks so much for all the photos of your trip. I think we all feel almost as though we are there with you.

Sylvia ~ There are no words to express how much we all sympathize with all you are going through. Prayers for you and your family.

N Pole Penny ~ I had to look up mutton as I was not sure what it was. You are a trooper to host your DH's party on such short notice.

Michelle ~ You must be the busiest person around. Do you ever just sit down and rest?

I am not feeling too stressed over Christmas. Still don't have plans finalized for how we will celebrate but I am sure it will work out.

Healing thoughts for all who are ailing.

Carol
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Karen - thanks so much for the encouragement. I plan to succeed. :)

Janetr OKC
  • janetr7476
    Options
    Sylvia, I cannot imagine your pain of your son's approaching death, much less adding the ambivalence that his addiction and addictive behavior must be adding to your emotions. We are all here, holding you up and standing behind you, all day long. So when things get tough, just imagine all of us standing around you holding you up- fat ladies and not fat anymore ladies all around!

Love the photos!

Sylvia - Miriam put it beautifully, we are all here for you. (((Hugs)))
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    <3

Mary from Minnesota
  • doobiedoo
    doobiedoo Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I feel bad to not keep up with the posts everyday...my youngest (last of 14) is still at home and we homeschool. So even with one at home, I still stay busy. I do go back though and find encouragement from all of your posts. The liquid diet has given me a good jump start (9 lbs. in 14 days), but now I need to amend it. So...what to do about exercising with very arthritic knees? Any ideas would be welcome.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,102 Member
    Options
    Heather I still would make that dental appointment. I have to go in every three months because of my gums. I had a great check up the last time. I use a Sonicare with Sonicare heads with an essential oil. I tried to use a generic version to save money but they did not work as well. I also use a dental pick to get those food particles away from my gums and floss. I only had two 4's the last visit. I have had as many as 6 4's and a two 5s. A rating of 5 or greater is a worry and an extra dental visit. If the food particle got below the gum line you want the dentist to get it out. I am in more danger of losing my teeth because of my gums than through decay.

Love the travel pictures.

Mtowne02 great picture!

:heart: Margaret
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,745 Member
    Options
    morning peeps -

whippet - sorry for the issues u r having w/your son. {{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}
    janetr - congrats on your loss!!!!!!
    barbiecat - be careful, good thing listening to your body
    mtowne - cute pic, love the background!
    ms at the pole = sorry you didn't get to the gingerbread bake. it woulda won!, later- that is gonna b alotta food!
    bwcetc- ::::::::strapping on the boot:::::::::

the 1st therapy session is assessment, questions and measurements 2c how far you can extend, etc... she printed out some exercises for me to do at home. this morning, I thought, i'll run a mile then do my exercises she gave me. I didn't run the mile but did get thru all of my 3 sets of 10 exercises, I put on the stop watch and it took me 33min, 57sec. 7 different kinds of exercises and I burned a big 76 CALORIES!!! WOOOO WHOOOOO PARTY :0(

did I mention that Kirby walked the whole 5k? he did.

type to ya later.
  • Elaine352962
    Elaine352962 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Today's Chores

Changed the bed linnen - love the smell of clean sheets.
    Washing machine loaded with the dirty linnen.
    One lot of washing in the drier.
    Tidying around the house.
    Cat fed and watered.
    Breakfast was fruit corner whipped yogurt and a banana.
    Sent husband out to our daughters home - he has made a fairy door for our grandaughter. He has varnished it, put hinges, a latch, studs on and there is a crytal fairy, a charm and candles to go on the metal ledge. It has been mounted on a metal box and will be fitted to the base of a large old tree that has amazing markings on the tree trunk. He is very proud of his creation. - it does look really good.
    He has taken all the Christmas Presents for them as well.
    I am taking my mum's Christmas Present, my brothers and sisters etc.
    Cook mum some dinner and do chores for her.
    My husband usually picks me up around 5.30pm.
    Start again when I get home.
    Trying to keep moving to get rid of this unwanted weight.
    Good Luck Everyone with all the jobs you have to get on with.

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,377 Member
    Options
    I walked and walked today to say goodbye to Montpellier. Never found the model car shop, but we found a famous toy shop that had models of "deux chevaux" . Bought a red one for DGS. They packaged it beautifully. :D

Then I went to a little museum and had a drink in a little square. DH had had to go home because he was feeling so bad. :'( It was nice not worrying about the smoking though. >:) I was thinking about where to eat tonight (not sure DH is up to it) and realised I would have to wash my hair. :( So I treated myself and went to a posh hairdresser behind our apartment. Very relaxing having my head massaged. B) My tooth isn't any better, but I'm dosed up. Will continue with the salt routine.

Love you all. Heather x
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Heather: You look beautiful and the Pont d'Avignon bridge is an excellent backdrop! :bigsmile: Enjoy your last day! :flowerforyou:

Grits: Thank you for your comments on wills. We are in the process of having a new one written and you gave me many good things to think about. :flowerforyou:

Margaret: Thank you for the comments on holidays. I appreciated learning several things I didn't know. Keeping you and your DH in my prayers. :flowerforyou:

Becca: Thanks for your healing thoughts. I need them and appreciate you for sending them my way. :heart:

Miriam: I am sorry about the gluten! I am lactose intolerant, but there is a product called lactaid that can mitigate things very well. I take it in advance if I want a bit of ice cream and I don't suffer. I wish there was something like it for gluten. :flowerforyou:

Sylvia: :heart: :broken_heart::heart:

Barbie: I'm so sorry you had a scare at the dance performance and am glad you felt better by the second one & the last one. :flowerforyou:

mtowne002: I love the photos, especially the one of you leaning on the tree. :flowerforyou:

Michele: Thanks for your good thoughts. Everything has been put on the back burner for a while. I don't want to expose anyone to this. :noway:

Joyce: Keeping Charlie and you in my prayers. (((hugs)))

Penny: Can you require each guest to take some leftover food home? If that doesn't work well enough, send it to work for a potluck lunch. :flowerforyou:

kimses: I used portion control as my primary strategy to lose the pounds and it worked for me, even during holiday celebrations. I was able to have a little of everything, but kept track of calories by measuring my portions. Ordinary measuring cups can work, but I bought a food scale and restaurant style dishers to speed up the serving process. The money was well spent. The dishers look like ice cream scoops. :flowerforyou:

doobledoo: Two ideas for exercising with arthritic knees, swim and try theraputic yoga. :flowerforyou:

Slept in a separate bedroom from DH last night and we both rested better. I didn't keep him up with my coughing and he didn't roast me out with a hot room and electric blanket. Unfortunately, we didn't wake up in time to take our dog to the groomer. We have rescheduled his appointment for later in the week.

I need to get presents shipped off to DD and DS. If we manage that today it will be a noteworthy achievement.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

December Goals :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,745 Member
    Options
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5X5 workout

Squats-1X5X 65/75/85/95/105/115, 5X5X 120
    Sumo squats-5X5X105
    0HP-1X5X 45/50/55, 2X5X 60, 3X5X 55
    DL-1X5X 150

The OHP is still a struggle at 60 pounds. I had to do a deload after two sets back down to 55 pounds. I am still working on my form with the squats and deadlifts. Next week I will probably do a deload on both of these to work my self back up and hopefully pass the maximum weight.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • janetr7476
    Options
    Katla - sending healing thots for you and your DH. I think this has held on long enough and I tell it be gone :) There hope that works. (((Hugs)))

Janetr OKC
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Happy Tuesday ! ! !

Sylvia – Hugs and Prayers ! ! !

Heather – Thanks for sharing your experiences and the photos.

Janetr – Congrats on losing that pound, and for missing exercise.

Margaret – Thanks for sharing about some of the religious holidays happening around this time of year. I love learning about so many things. If anyone at my work would ask me to display anything, I totally would. Right now I just have a 3 foot tree with lights and candy canes that people take to eat. Hugs and Prayers for your DH and his appointment.

Barbie – Hugs and hand-holding for your pain and scare. So glad you are better. Take Care and Enjoy life !

So far I have been able to put stickers on the calendar, and my co-worker put one on for yesterday, too. We are going to rock this together.

Lunch break is almost over, and we are still busy – keeping me running and scanning and talking etc. Sorry to everyone I have been unable to address. I hope you all know I hold you close to my heart, and thank you for the support.

By this time in the day, my Dad should be in the air. He is spending a week in Arizona with my middle sister’s children. I hope he has marvelous weather, and they have some great bonding time. He now has 4 great-grandchildren down in Arizona, so I’m sure he is too excited ! ! !

Tonight I am having popcorn without butter at the movie screening "Sisters". I won 4 passes, so I'm taking a co-worker and her friends.

Hugs for Everyone ! ! !

Terri in Milwaukee
  • Sunnygirl_2015
    Sunnygirl_2015 Posts: 184 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Slept for 9 hours last night and feel tired today, still recovering from my case of shingles I guess.

Silvia - (((hugs))) <3

I have my food planned out for today and the rest of the week- measuring and recording every morsel! No parties or celebrations till my DH work get party on Sunday. Im really looking forward to seeing his coworkers. They are very nice people and over the years we have gotten to know them quite well. It's going to be dinner and dancing on the SD bay B) I'm hoping If I stay focused now it will offset the first two weeks of December and the mindless eating and drinking has to STOP. Ha ha. Exercise plan is to get in 10 k steps 4 times this week and the gym Wed & Fri. My Fitbit is charged and ready to go.

Helping move pantry and freezer food contents out of my garage back to a neighbors home. They are redoing their roof now and found termites when the roofers tore up the paper which meant having to tent the whole house last Friday. Their house was cleared yesterday for them to return and now they're waiting for the gas company to come turn the gas back on :s yesterday I did some laundry for them too. Just sheets and towels. Crazy to be doing a roof now but honestly is there ever a good time for house repairs? Also, My other neighbor got a quote to fix our fence that blew down after Thangsgiving. Oh my, it was half again what we have paid in the past! Making calls today to get another quote or two! I best get off the computer and start sorting this all out.

Prayers to all that need them. Stay strong! We can do this!

<3 Rosie
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    janetr7476 wrote: »
    Sylvia, I cannot imagine your pain of your son's approaching death, much less adding the ambivalence that his addiction and addictive behavior must be adding to your emotions. We are all here, holding you up and standing behind you, all day long. So when things get tough, just imagine all of us standing around you holding you up- fat ladies and not fat anymore ladies all around!

Sylvia - Miriam put it beautifully, we are all here for you. (((Hugs)))

I am glad that someone put my thoughts into words. Sylvia, I can't imagine your pain. Sending you prayers.

Chris in MA

• miakoda40
    miakoda40 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Work. CRAZY! No time to read here at all today. Thinking of each and every one of you and hoping all is going well for everyone. Love, hugs, and good wishes to anyone who needs them.

Mia in Mi
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Beth, being glutened means that first my mouth and throat are raw, but then I can get headaches (migraines) and/ or have bowel problems (too loose/ often/ explosive/ not able to delay or not able to go) as well as general fatigue and malaise. The biggest problem is that is undoes some of the healing of the villae- the tiny fingers on the insides of the small intestine that absorb nutrients. With untreated celiac, the villae flatten out and disappear. I was untreated from toddlerhood until after 50 so I had a lot of damage and probably will never return to "normal". It can take months to undo a gluten effect on the villae. That is why I am so viligent about watching everything I eat and worrying about cross contamination when I eat out. A crumb can cause symptoms. Breathing flour in the air can cause symptoms.
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Annr - it's a good thing that your sons memorized your Advent story ... now they can pass it on to any children they have. What's been passed down through my family is an Oyster Stew recipe that we have as our Tradition on Christmas Eve.

Sylvia
    - I cannot imagine knowing that you child is going to die (probably) before you; and, leaving grandchildren behind. I hope the times he has them visit with him, that he takes into consideration what they see and hear. Prayers going out for all of you. I think the MD was sort of 'mean spirited' to react the way he did; and, for a 'false positive' test he should have tested him twice or three times to make sure that it wasn't just some technician in the lab making a mistake. They've been known to do that. Taking blood in a tube that is meant to test something else entirely. When I have blood drawn, they draw out one that is just blood; and, two that have something in the bottom of them.

Margaretrurk - I take Dilantin to help control a seizure disorder; and, that makes my gums overgrow (hyperplasia); so I got to the dentist 4x a year for cleaning and deep cleaning. The last time I went the Periodontist had to cut some of my gum away. I was surprised that it did not grow back the last time he cut them. I was also surprised that it didn't hurt (only the shots to numb it hurt). I've tried going off the Dilantin; but, when he gets down to 135mg to take I always have a seizure. The last time I had one (a year ago this past August) I hit my head on the top rail of the deck, sides of the stiles, and on the bottom rail of the deck. Had a concussion and spent 2 nights in the hospital for observation and to get my medications up so I would not have another one. I also take Lamictal and another seizure medication that added to my Seroquel (bipolar meds) it acts like an anti-anxiety and anti-depressant. I prefer to be just one step towards the 'manic' side of bipolar. I suffered from an attack of depression and I would 'hate' it if I did again. I take my medications from a pill box that I fill every Saturday night.

Ladies - I lost 2lbs since my last weigh-in; and I really thought with how much I ate that I would have gained. I think that makes a total of 33.5lbs since mid-May. YEAH! This time I told the receptionist that I did not want anything that was in a 'green' wrapper. Those have Rice Krispy sort of things in them and I don't like them very much. The other ones are covered in chocolate, so that 'urge' is taken care of each evening.
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    :p