WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2015

Options

Replies

• mtowne002
    mtowne002 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    b95yn3ps3vil.jpg
    An apple rose made for me by my SIL from an apple from their farm in Maine. It tasted as good as it looked
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,007 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    8lzbc0i6cwkc.jpg

after expending a lot of energy on bank change and health insurance change, I need to be reminded about gratitude for the wonderful woman who helped us navigate the confusion with the bank change, and the wonderful man who took care of everything with the health insurance changes, and how strong my legs felt walking the dogs this afternoon, and our leaf blower that made easy work of clearing a lot of the debris from the storm, my wonderful husband who was there by my side for everything, and all of you who make my life richer.

<3 Barbie
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,753 Member
    Options
    total stats for the day:
    ride hm 2 gym- 12.05min, 14.1amph, 146mhr, 2.9mi = 149c
    7 different stretch exercises - 3 sets of 10 each, mhr91 = 76c
    ride gym 2 dome- 5.59min, 13.5amph, 144mhr, 1.3mi = 87c
    ride dome 2 hm - 21.45min, 152mhr, 7.4amph, 2.6mi = 225c
    total cal 537
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    woz8326b7bbb.jpg
    After the adoption hearing, friends and family. My two older sons, my two grandkids, and my new daughters with friends from church and the small town we live in.
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening Ladies,

Joyce, I hope the appointments go well for you and Charlie. Sometimes scheduling is a *kitten*.

Janetr, you have done so well that all you need to worry about through the next couple of weeks is just to maintain. You are prepared and aware and I have no doubt that you will do great. ((((Hugs))))

Mindy, great pictures. Thanks for sharing. I love getting to see you ladies and be able to put a face to the name.

Heather, I can’t believe your time is almost over in France. We have certainly enjoyed your travels and just hate that DH got so sick and you’ve had the tooth problem. Enjoy that last day!!!

Lisa, what a bummer that the internet is still down. Thank goodness you have it nearby.

Penny, that is too bad about the ginger bread bake. You sure got in your exercise. That is some menu for the buffet. Just having room for all that food would fill my house with no room for anyone to eat. Lol I’m sure glad you don’t have to cook all of that.

Sylvia, I have to “ditto” what Miriam said. Please remember that we are all here supporting you and loving you while you go through this horrible time in your life.

Beth, I love your quote about Worry and totally agree. I’m with Karen in supporting you.
    Margaret, I have similar gums and work hard to care for them. Last year I added a WaterPik to my regiment and love the results. It gets things that all my other instruments miss. Lol

Pip, I hate that they didn’t start you on any exercises sooner but knowing you it won’t make a difference. So glad Kirby was able to do the whole 5K. Ya’ll are both something else!!

Elaine, the Fary Door sounds so cute! I’m sure your DGD will love it.

Katla, I wish I had a magic remedy to send you way so that you would get well immediately. So sorry you are going through that. (((Hugs)))

Terri, I hope you enjoy the movie. Gosh you are one winning lady!! Good for you.

Rosi, you are a good neighbor. And no there isn’t a good time to have to replace a roof. Sorry about the price of fence repair. I hope you can find a better price.

Janetr, unfortunately that sounds a lot like shingles. If you tell your doc that is what you suspect is there any way they can get you in sooner?

Sylvia, I sure hope they can get to the root of your problem and find a quick fix. Will be thinking of you.

Miriam, wonderful picture!

Years ago I had a recipe for leftover turkey that had corn tortillas, Velveeta cheese and Rotel tomatoes. You tore the tortillas and layered everything in a casserole and it turned out like a deconstructed enchilada. I was going to give the recipe to my friend that just had the hip surgery and I can’t find it. smiley-sad012.gif If any of you happen to have it, please share it with me. I may just try to make it and see what happens. The main thing is I can’t remember how many cans of tomatoes and don’t want it to be too dry. It was really good and a great way to use leftover turkey meat.

I had to read rather fast and missed responses to many of you but know I'm thinking of you and rooting for success for everyone.
    I hope all of you have a healthy and happy day. rose.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Annr wrote: »
    Healing thoughts to you @Katla49
    Becca

Thank you, Becca. Your healing thoughts help me feel better.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Sylvia: I hope the procedure on Thursday goes perfectly. Keeping you & your family in my prayers. :flowerforyou:

Margaret: I hope your DH's oral medication is effective and he tolerates it well. :heart:

Heather: Sorry you're sick. I hope it goes away quickly. :flowerforyou:

Miriam: Lovely photo! Congratulations on the adoption of your girls. :flowerforyou:

DJ: Thanks for your good wishes. I feel a little better this evening. I hope it is a trend. :flowerforyou:

I just finished reading a lovely Robyn Carr book and wish I had another. This one is called Wildest Dreams and is set in a fictional town on the Oregon coast. I am feeing a bit better this evening than I have in several days. We got two packages shipped to reach their destinations by Christmas--& shipping was a combined $100 plus. Yikes. At least we can relax and concentrate on feeling better.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

December Goals :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Barbie - love that poster, its something I too need to keep in mind. Thanks for sharing.

Miriam - wonderful picture, thanks for sharing.

DJ - thank you for the encouragement and you're right, at this point I think I will just concentrate on maintaining. I too think it is shingles. I did tell the receptionist this morning that I thot I had shingles, but she's a bit of a space cadet. I will call again tomorrow and ask for his nurse and insist they work me in tomorrow. They are not blistered yet, but I have 5 clusters from the middle of my back just below my waist band around to my left hip and the front on my left leg.

17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Margaret: What great news!!! Much easier for hubby n you. Prayers
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Heather, it is so bad on your last night you feel like this. Who was is here that went on a trip over in Europe and husband had to go to hospital? Was if Michele???

Janetr, I might disagree with the others on this. Of course I may be wrong but hope i am not. Shingles follows a nerve line and that doesn't sound like a nerve line. Also it is usually extremely painful, I mean extremely!

Tomorrow night I am going to see The Blue Man group!!!!!! Did I say !!!!!!!!!!!? I am sitting here watching a concert that was in Dallas so am a bit distracted. I apologize for that. You girls are to important for that. did I mention the Blue Man Group?????????

Charlie had his appointment with the neurologist today. I was a bad wife and did not tell him much about what the nerve conduction study was about. The nurse did a little. I was wondering who was going to do it because I knew he was going to see his neurologist. The neurologist did it. Poor Charlie, I was behind the doctor but I could see his hand jump as soon as the doctor did his thing. It just kept jumping higher and higher. Of course I had never watched what they were doing to me so I never saw the device they were using. I don't know if this was the way he did it with my DH because he is on a blood thinner and he was limited to how many needles he could use, but the thing he was putting against his skin looked like the thing police use to zap people. But it did confirm he has carpal tunnel. He told him he needs to use the brace as often as he can. When a person has diarrhea you know it does come off often. So wearing it during the day time hours are very important. Also his left hand is getting some awful cramps. Charlie thought it was just because he is having to use his left hand more. But the doctor thinks it is an increase in his Parkinson's. He was going to send the info to the hand doctor and our family doctor. I know they were trying to get this treated by the end of the year so I hope we get a call soon as to what the plan is.

I got another Amazon box today and then also got an envelope from them. I had ordered a phone for Charlie and also seperately screen protectors. So the screen protectors came in an envelope. I think that is all for Amazon but not all the shopping. I still have to get stocking gifts. DH thinks you have to give to each child evenly. Christina's wedding anniversary is on the same day as our celebration so we are giving her a gift for that. In addition we are giving her DH old phone which has almost 2 years and about 2000 minutes on it. Yes, it's a prepaid. But I want a phone that she can answer when it rings. Right now they have their iPads for their phones. SIL does have a prepaid that is supposed to be for emergencies but every time I have called it is has gone to message. They even silence it at night. So I want this phone to ring. I also want to her to feel the freedom of calling me frequently. We used to talk almost every night and now we talk about every 3 weeks if I am lucky. Sometimes she will answer a text or iMessage. But there is nothing like hearing your own child's voice especially if I am really worried. And I do get worried about DH frequently. Sometimes he is so despondent. The only thing that gives him happiness is his Karaoke. And he isn't always able to do that now. And if he doesn't get good response from the crowd he gets upset. Yep, a little egotistical there. So DH is going to give Michelle and extra $100, jsut because you have to treat them equally. Good gracious! :s

Did I mention, oh, yeah I did. Good night, Joyce, Indiana
  • mtowne002
    Options
    Night Owl Report
    My mind is still to active to sleep....a lot on my mind good and not so good....
    Worries
    My refi didn't go through. Not sure how I'm going to meet my bills AND afford the trip to Key West. Honestly I don't even have any money for Christmas at all. Seriously considering a large bag of each kids favorite candy w a bow. Other than that I'll have to charge it and that's usually what I do but it's how I got into this mess and not the right thing to do. The Key West thing is bothering me mostly because our flight tickets aren't refundable and even if I cancelled the trip I would owe Becky at last my tickets worth and then feel obligated to pay for her ticket which would probably also go unused. Neither of which I have money for. So that's mostly my worry. Somebody sweep it off the side margin please?

Good things
    My daughter seems to be doing better though after getting her admitted into first a voluntary inpatient and then a day program both of which she bailed on. She is back to work, happy again mostly. Her Dr just switched her meds today and hopefully that is a good thing.

Work is going really well...they started officially training me to be a supervisor last week. yay !
  • mtowne002
    Options
    Oops

My weight loss is also going really well..I'm down five pounds already this month.

I got my little tree up

It's been unseasonably warm so I haven't had to buy more heating oil this month.

My gums have improved to almost all ones and twos w a smattering of threes

And truthfully ALL YOU LADIES IN THIS GROUP! I can't even begin to tell you all in how many different ways being part of this group has improved my life! THANK YOU!

Ok this all started because I wanted to learn emoticons like some of you and make a really neat post for Mirriam. But the app I downloaded is relatively poor compared to your samples. Could someone remind me where you go to get the good ones?

Until then. CONGRATULATIONS MIRRIAM!

Love you all

Boston Mindy
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,383 Member
    Options
    Quick one!
    Alison - Thank you! My gum does seem to be improving. Think I must have got something stuck up there! I've been flossing it and salting it.

Margaret - my gums are normally 2s. I have never had this before! I was worried it was an abscess as it is an uber filled tooth which should really have a crown on it, but I'm too mean. I have an appointment for tomorrow afternoon. :)

I took co-codamol last night, partly to bung me up, and slept relatively ok. I do feel slightly achy and fluey, but so far this morning I'm surviving. DH is coughing less. How lovely it will be when the journey is over. We should arrive back to a newly decorated kitchen and a new shower for DH. :D

Sad to be leaving though, I've grown very fond of wandering through the lanes of the old town and loved our apartment. This would be a good place to live if you could develop a social life and find friends. That is hard enough in English I find.

Love to all. Heather x
  • kimses2
    kimses2 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Katla I think you're right about the portion control. That's the tricky thing about being in this particular spot at this particular age. I don't drink soda and rarely eat junk. 90% of the time I eat "clean". 10% of the time I don't. And while I could get away with that 10% years ago, I can't now. So although I eat well, I admit that I overeat.
    My pledge for today is to slow down when eating so that when my family is still eating, I'm not sitting there picking at the extra food.

This is so hard. Really. I quit drinking and smoking 32 years ago. But losing weight is harder because it's not an all or nothing thing.

Tomorrow I'm off to NYC for a company holiday party. I was going to bake cookies for the office but decided against it because....guess? Yup. I'd eat them.

I'm done being gloomy for today. I'll get a swim in this morning.

By the way, I am going to a dinner and cookie swap Sunday. Any suggestions on how to handle that?
    Honestly, cookie swaps are the worst. My family loves it when I go, but you all know how difficult that is for trying to lose weight. But most of the women is this group have struggled with weight (all of them I think. I'm not comfortable enough to suggest a gift swap instead. I have suggested that with other groups.

Struggling but hopeful...

Kimses in MA

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,105 Member
    Options
    :heart: Margaret
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Heather bon voyage and hope you are both feeling better soon.

Kimses what about a recipe swap? or a potluck of things that can be frozen and eaten at a later time? I am so tempted by all that is in front of me, if I don't walk away from the treat table, I pick it up and freeze it, by the time I remember that it is frozen and needs to be defrosted, I have lost interest!

Still anxiously awaiting for college news for DD and new job for DH, waiting is the worst!

Karen from NY
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Morning Ladies,

Joyce, I wanted to ask you if you knew anything about The Blue Man Group? I think I heard something about them. cool.gif Still praying for you and Charlie and hope things improve for him. I agree that I want to be able to talk to my DD whenever I want. My problem now is the time difference. I always want to call her in the morning and with her 3 hours behind, plus sleeping late, it’s not a good time.

Mindy, you are wise to not want to charge things that aren’t necessary. It’s too bad the flight tickets aren’t refundable so you should probably just go and have a good time. You are doing fantastic with your weight!!! Congrats!!!! And great going on those gums, too! Remember that stressing doesn’t help anything so just plan to do the best you can for Christmas gifts and enjoy being with family. Great job at the job, too. You go girl!!

Heather, sending warm wishes for both of you to feel better and have a pleasant and safe trip home. I know you are sad to leave that lovely apartment and charming town, but not feeling well must make you want to get home. I hope all the work at the house is done to your satisfaction.construction.gif

Kimses, I have the same problem with eating too much of the good stuff. smiley-eatdrink022.gif Oh yes and too fast. I try to eat less but it’s not always easy. I use to love cookie exchanges because I could bake one kind and end up with lots of different ones. Now, I don’t want homemade cookies in the house. I love the Chinese Auction gift exchange, where #1 picks a gift and opens it, then #2 can take one that’s open or pick a new one and open it. Maybe you could talk them into that for next year???

Karen
    , I’m sending good vibes for your DD and DH on their applications. Yes, waiting is worse than any news they could get, but let’s hope they both get what they want. Wouldn’t that be a wonderful Christmas gift?

I have to get ready to go to my friend’s house. Today another good friend will bring lunch for us and we’ll all exchange our Christmas gifts. Tomorrow and Friday I may leave during the day to get things done but will stay with her at night. Today I’ll probably stay there all day and relax. I will work in time to keep up with you lovely ladies. I’m sending “Calming Thoughts” for all of you to not let the season get to you.

I hope all of you have a healthy and happy day. rose.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,837 Member
    Options
    I am at the Christmas coffee hour with my pool friend,enjoying it.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Mindy - I am sorry to hear about your refinancing not going through. It is probably a good idea not to charge things. Talk to your kids and let them know. Since you already have tickets to Key west I agree that you should probably go. Congratulations on your successes!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • doobiedoo
    doobiedoo Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Thanks to those who gave suggestions for my poor old knees! I can ride the stationary bike without pain, it's later that I can hardly walk. I guess it could be something much worse. I'll be thankful for what the Lord brings my way.